Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mayo becoming a no-go area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Mayo, taking over from Limerick, Stab County.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

This is a sign that the sheep have finally started to take over in mayo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

As far as I'm concerned, it was always a no-go area. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Signs are that this situation mayo get worse.

Since when is Mayo not a no go area. The amount of crap you see in a weekly basis there is unreal but every other county in Ireland is the same. Mayo is no more dangerous than any where else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Ballinrobe is the town where the bull ran around the supervalue. Its actually a very rough town and it doesnt surpise me that stabbings have now occurred there. Also you forgot about the Westport guard getting stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ah, mayo is about the safest place in Ireland Id say. We probably wont see another stabbing for 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ballinrobe is the town where the bull ran around the supervalue. Its actually a very rough town and it doesnt surpise me that stabbings have now occurred there. Also you forgot about the Westport guard getting stabbed.

ROFL.

Even the animals run amok!!

Yeh, i forgot about the Westport garda. Why Mayo though?

It's so remote you'd expect it to be a peace loving respectable county?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Since when is Mayo not a no go area. The amount of crap you see in a weekly basis there is unreal but every other county in Ireland is the same. Mayo is no more dangerous than any where else.

So in essence you're saying that everywhere is a no-go area?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Everywhere's a no-go area now.:eek: Never leave home without your designated blood donor for the instant transfusion you'll need when someone accuses you of giving em a funny look in a supermarket car-park.

• Advertisement

So in essence you're saying that everywhere is a no-go area?

Pretty much. We would all be better off staying at home and wrapping up in front of a fire. We need the Citizen to clean up our streets before we venture out again.

Being serious though, a few isolated incidents of violence and the news media blows it completely out of proportion. People get stabbed every day and some die, it happens all over the country. I remember a few years back a guy from my school got stabbed and there was no real coverage, the saddest thing about the incident was that the stabber missed all vital arteries. The victim was a scumbag dealer who had started the whole thing and the little coverage it did get painted him as an innocent upstanding pillar od society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Violence on this scale never usually happens down here. It's part of a worrying trend in Ireland in general.
    Worryingly the wrong types will now think everyone is carrying knives and hence arm themselves before going out. Maybe these are copycat attacks given the publicity?
    You would have to be a real scumbag to bring a knife on a night out:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Other countries are much worse. I do believe that trainee journalists are foisted on AH in order to create as much panic as possible. It's utterly illogical to even suggest Mayo as a no-go area. Dublin has by far the... ah screw it, no-one believes anything except what the media says anyway. Journalists will be the first against the wall, I assure you.

Yeah it's a no-go area, all hail the morons of journalism.

Confab wrote: »
    Other countries are much worse. I do believe that trainee journalists are foisted on AH in order to create as much panic as possible. It's utterly illogical to even suggest Mayo as a no-go area. Dublin has by far the... ah screw it, no-one believes anything except what the media says anyway. Journalists will be the first against the wall, I assure you.

Yeah it's a no-go area, all hail the morons of journalism.

Huh?

Its Mayo, the feckin distant rural Ireland, it cannot be compared to a big city yet it has many violent incidents occurring in the last few weeks, what is it thats causing it, the water perhaps?:D

gurramok wrote: »
    ROFL.

Even the animals run amok!!

Yeh, i forgot about the Westport garda. Why Mayo though?

It's so remote you'd expect it to be a peace loving respectable county?!

Lot of scumbags have moved into the west over the past few years mostly from Dublin and England. Combine that with the large Traveller population many of whom are involved in criminality (I have to stress, not all) its inevitable we're going to see a rise in violent crime here. I personally think its only a matter of time before somebody gets killed in my local town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭JOM34

Barring last nite's incident can you expand further on Ballinrobe being a rough town and other evidence that this type of thing was always going to happen there at some stage?

Lot of scumbags have moved into the west over the past few years mostly from Dublin and England. Combine that with the large Traveller population many of whom are involved in criminality (I have to stress, not all) its inevitable we're going to see a rise in violent crime here. I personally think its only a matter of time before somebody gets killed in my local town.

Ah here, blaming the Dubs and outsiders!:rolleyes:

Most so far that have been charged are Mayo natives!

JOM34 wrote: »
    Barring last nite's incident can you expand further on Ballinrobe being a rough town and other evidence that this type of thing was always going to happen there at some stage?

My personal experiences of Ballinrobe aren't very pleasant and I'd regard as being among the rougher towns in the county. I didn't say stabbings and the like were inevitable there I said that I wasn't surprised when I heard they had. For example I was more surprised at Kiltimagh which I always regarded as a much quieter place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

You'll find that the above are responsible for 2 out of the 3 incidents;)

I can't say much of what I know on the Kiltimagh incident because so far its not official, but some of the people questioned about it (whom I once knew) where certainly not Mayo natives.

• Advertisement

I think the biggest problem with Mayo is that it has become a dumping ground for the country's scum. My home town recently had a number of the rougher families involved in the troubles in Limerick moved there. It also has the biggest housing estate in Mayo and it's a council estate responsible for much of the towns problems.

I can't say much of what I know on the Kiltimagh incident because so far its not official, but some of the people questioned about it (whom I once knew) where certainly not Mayo natives.

Mayo native?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0815/heneghan.html

There was more than one person involved in the brawl that night. Anyway I don't deny that there are native Mayo scumbags but I think the culture of criminality in the west has been influenced by criminals arriving from elsewhere.

There was more than one person involved in the brawl that night.

Where is the Dub/outsider connection then?

Where is the Dub/outsider connection then?

Look I'm not going to make claims that could bring boards into legal trouble. I won't talk about what I've heard until proper media sources are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

........ It also has the biggest housing estate in Mayo and it's a council estate responsible for much of the towns problems.

No it's not - there are far more dangerous individuals from outside that estate than in it.

Look I'm not going to make claims that could bring boards into legal trouble. I won't talk about what I've heard until proper media sources are available.

So speculation then?

It just seems when anything bad happens in Mayo, its immigrant Dub related, scapegoats? :D

No it's not - there are far more dangerous individuals from outside that estate than in it.

I'm not saying that they're aren't more dangerous individuals but the estate is cause for a lot of trouble. The amount of crap that goes on there is unbeliveable at times, one night a few weeks back there was cops up there every half hour and a number of people beaten with baseball bats, fists, etc. Driving past I saw a group of 3 or 4 people chasing another guy and smacking him in the back of the skull with a bat.

So speculation then?

It just seems when anything bad happens in Mayo, its immigrant Dub related, scapegoats? :D

Mayo has it's fair share of home grown scum and trouble makers but it has became a dumping ground for a lot of undesirable characters from outside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

All these violent incidents in a week! (without a Shell protest :D)

First we had the Kiltimagh stabbing murder.http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0812/mayo.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0708/marrinanc.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0611/mayo.html

Then today this, 4 people viscously attacked in a remote town(http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0816/ballinrobe.html). You'd maybe expect this in a large city but Ballinrobe, where is that?!

Wtf is going on there?
    They were attacked with immensely thick liquid?

That's the kind of ill-thought out AH scaremongering I can get behind, like an agrarian remake of The Blob.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement