Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mayo becoming a no-go area?

Options

Comments

Just another day in the wild wesht!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Robbo wrote: »
    They were attacked with immensely thick liquid?

That's the kind of ill-thought out AH scaremongering I can get behind, like an agrarian remake of The Blob.

Assaulted aka kicks and punches!!

And twice in the night by the same group of men according to gardai!!

Now, you wouldn't expect that to happen in a country town in Mayo?!

gurramok wrote: »

Why wouldn't you expect it? There is no cultural divide in this country anymore. Violence is widespread and a daily occurrence in every town and village the world over. Why is it that I believe that you read the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

It wasn't always like that, Mayoites used to plod along harmlessly.
    That is until that feckin song came along and got them all full of hopes and dreams...

May-O, Mayyyyyy-O
    SAM Maguire is comin home to May-O...

All across Mayo the people got their hopes up, confidence brimmed and the omnipresent darkness
    that hangs over the place finally started to disperse.

But alas, SAM Maguire didn't go to Mayo at all.
    No, instead he fecked off Kerry.
    Leaving the Mayoites to wallow in their own misery, their spirits crushed.
    Soon their depression turned to anger and pretty soon the limited socitey that had existed just collapsed.
    Lawlessness took over and it's just been downhill ever since...

Why wouldn't you expect it? There is no cultural divide in this country anymore. Violence is widespread and a daily occurrence in every town and village the world over. Why is it that I believe that you read the Daily Mail.

Daily Mail?!

I quoted RTE news stories!

Mayo is alot in the news lately for bad reasons, i'm asking why??

• Advertisement

Slow news day?

Slow news day?

But its Mayo!! :P

As far as i can remember Mayo was rarely in the news till recently, from an attempted murder of a garda to a murder of a civilian to 4 vicious assaults of people walking home after a night out, why has the place gone so bad?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I fully expect it.

As a Galwegian, I'm sick of Mayo people coming down here and being given "grants" and told to attend college. They then try to marry themselves to Galwegian women and then never want to leave, so called claiming so called asylum. I'm reliably informed that they get free prams and cars from the Social and €204 a week to not work! I'm not racist but Galway for Galwegians is what I say. Some of my best friends are from Roscommon but what these Mayo types do sickens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

....... Driving past I saw a group of 3 or 4 people chasing another guy and smacking him in the back of the skull with a bat.

I'm surprised I didn't hear about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

These latest two assaults are suspected to have been carried out by the same gang of men. It's pretty creepy to think they're assaulting people on New Street and then the same again on the Neale Road a while later. Sounds more like hunters than opportunists.

Used to live in Ballinrobe. Never noticed anything rough about it. Although that was a long time ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

To add to Robbo's post above, wtf is it with Mayo people and Roundabouts in Galway, there are rules ffs,.:rolleyes:

Daily Mail?!

I quoted RTE news stories!

As far as i can remember Mayo was rarely in the news till recently, from an attempted murder of a garda to a murder of a civilian to 4 vicious assaults of people walking home after a night out, why has the place gone so bad?

The reason it's in the news is because papers such as the Daily Mail are blowing these incidents out of all proportion. There is no such thing as news these days. The broadsheets are all opinion pieces, the middle class papers such as the Daily Mail are all campaigns to get something changed or blowing violent incidents out of all proportion while asking why someone wont think of the children. Last but nut least are the rags such as the Sun which basically cover nothing but Z list celebrity celebrity panty shots and over sensationalised crime.

Mayo is no more violent than it was year years back, it's jsut that in the current climate this type of news sells papers. I got mugged in Dublin a few years back by a junkie who held a syringe and broken bottle to my throat, would it be newsworthy if I had went to the papers back then? Not a hope but if it happened to day you could pretty much guarantee I could get a piece written about it and the decline of humanity.

Robbo wrote: »
    I fully expect it.

As a Galwegian, I'm sick of Mayo people coming down here and being given "grants" and told to attend college. They then try to marry themselves to Galwegian women and then never want to leave, so called claiming so called asylum. I'm reliably informed that they get free prams and cars from the Social and €204 a week to not work! I'm not racist but Galway for Galwegians is what I say. Some of my best friends are from Roscommon but what these Mayo types do sickens me.

Sounds like Mayo is indeed a no-go area with people feeling from there! :D

The reason it's in the news is because papers such as the Daily Mail are blowing these incidents out of all proportion. There is no such thing as news these days. The broadsheets are all opinion pieces, the middle class papers such as the Daily Mail are all campaigns to get something changed or blowing violent incidents out of all proportion while asking why someone wont think of the children. Last but nut least are the rags such as the Sun which basically cover nothing but Z list celebrity celebrity panty shots and over sensationalised crime.

Mayo is no more violent than it was year years back, it's jsut that in the current climate this type of news sells papers. I got mugged in Dublin a few years back by a junkie who held a syringe and broken bottle to my throat, would it be newsworthy if I had went to the papers back then? Not a hope but if it happened to day you could pretty much guarantee I could get a piece written about it and the decline of humanity.

Why do you keep quoting the Daily Mail when these horrific incidents happened in real life and are all over the other mainstream newspapers?

One bloke is fighting for his life in Beaumont hospital as a result of the assaults. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0816/breaking124.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

its ballinrobe man, if you have ever been there you would understand, baghdad has nothing on that place

i kid, i kid, i know quite a few people from ballinrobe, nice town, the only problem is the mayo people living there :P

Why do you keep quoting the Daily Mail when these horrific incidents happened in real life and are all over the other mainstream newspapers?

One bloke is fighting for his life in Beaumont hospital as a result of the assaults. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0816/breaking124.htm

I'm not quoting the Daily Mail merely pointing out that it's down to papers such as the Mail and the Sun that cases like this are receiving so much attention. The reason news such as this is recieving so much attention is down to those sort of papers. Think back to the whole Jonathan Ross debacle last year, nothing would have came from it were it not for the Mail and similar rags.

Once it became big news in the rags the mainstream papers picked up for the simple reason that it sold papers. News these days is about making money, there is no such thing as unbiased news reporting. Years ago news was about reporting fact not speculation.

Had the incident occurred in Dublin or Limerick would it be so newsworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

galwayrush wrote: »
    To add to Robbo's post above, wtf is it with Mayo people and Roundabouts in Galway, there are rules ffs,.:rolleyes:

Change the record, would you?:rolleyes:

I used to live in Gort Na Corribe and had to negotiate that ass of a roundabout every day - it's not just Mayo reg cars that don't know how to go around it - or any of the other roundabouts in the town.

I'm surprised I didn't hear about that!

It was pretty nasty. The last day my mom picked me up from the bus station we passed a man face down in a pool of blood lieing by the side of the road. Two cops were standing over him waiting for an ambulance. Half an hour later there was a retaliation beating and a friend who lives down the road from the area said that there were 4 more retaliations that night.

Change the record, would you?:rolleyes:

I used to live in Gort Na Corribe and had to negotiate that ass of a roundabout every day - it's not just Mayo reg cars that don't know how to go around it - or any of the other roundabouts in the town.

mayo and donegal drivers are the worst in the country, mad they are :eek:

rossie1977 wrote: »
    mayo and donegal drivers are the worst in the country, mad they are :eek:

I think you'll find that female drivers irrelevant of county are the worst in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Those regular beatings we are taken in Croker are beginning to take their toll.

its ballinrobe man, if you have ever been there you would understand, baghdad has nothing on that place

i kid, i kid, i know quite a few people from ballinrobe, nice town, the only problem is the mayo people living there :P

I see, this Ballinrobe place place is the source of Mayo's ills :)
    I'm not quoting the Daily Mail merely pointing out that it's down to papers such as the Mail and the Sun that cases like this are receivin0g so much attention. The reason news such as this is recieving so much attention is down to those sort of papers. Think back to the whole Jonathan Ross debacle last year, nothing would have came from it were it not for the Mail and similar rags.

Once it became big news in the rags the mainstream papers picked up for the simple reason that it sold papers. News these days is about making money, there is no such thing as unbiased news reporting. Years ago news was about reporting fact not speculation.

Had the incident occurred in Dublin or Limerick would it be so newsworthy?

No, it always happens here!! Dublin mostly urban pop-1.1m, Mayo vastly rural 123,000

I think you'll find that female drivers irrelevant of county are the worst in this country.

its a good job there is no women on the interweb to complain about this post, but yes i agree and mayo women are the worst :pac:

its a good job there is no women on the interweb to complain about this post, but yes i agree and mayo women are the worst :pac:

If a woman is on the internet then someone somewhere isn't doing their job. Back to the kitchen with them.

No, it always happens here!! Dublin mostly urban pop-1.1m, Mayo vastly rural 123,000

What has population got to do with it? The only difference between the incidents of violence in Mayo and Dublin is that there are far more in Dublin given the larger population.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Mneh, most of Mayo's grand. Except the towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JACK_the_LAD

The thing which is NOT being reported is that both the stabbings in Westport & Kiltimagh were perpetrated by people resettled from DUBLIN!!!!!!!!!!

So much fer the quite life? Eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Just reading this thread jayus i was often in Ballinrobe and always had a good time, were these people who were attacking people local? I mean ballinrobe is a small town so its a shame to see this kind of skuldugeery happening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The thing which is NOT being reported is that both the stabbings in Westport & Kiltimagh were perpetrated by people resettled from DUBLIN!!!!!!!!!!

So much fer the quite life? Eh?
    Have you got anything to back this up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Chef or Heinze instead maybe?

AH covered this one already.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement