Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Dave147 wrote: »
    Wondering has anyone had trouble rooting their phone, when I put the recovery image in the root folder I should be able to flash recovery image but the option is greyed out, I've written everything correctly etc.

you have to backup old recovery first.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

docentore wrote: »
    you have to backup old recovery first.

i dont think you can flash your new recovery this way.
    the recovery file should be a .img file, so you wont be able to flash it the same way as the rom.

you need to open a command prompt and use the command

fastboot flash recovery [pathandnameofrecoveryfile]

nmesisca wrote: »
    i dont think you can flash your new recovery this way.
    the recovery file should be a .img file, so you wont be able to flash it the same way as the rom.

you need to open a command prompt and use the command

fastboot flash recovery [pathandnameofrecoveryfile]

You might be right, but I think you can't use fastboot on newer devices.

I used flashrec to flash AmonRa recovery and I had the "Flash" button greyed out until I clicked "backup" or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyone experiencing loss of network connection should set their network selection to automatic. It's a fix for the nexus one, but is worth trying on the hero.

http://knowyourmobile.com/blog/401698/solution_found_to_google_nexus_one_3g_issues.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jurrrr wrote: »
    Happened me, I just went into the alarm settings and when the alarm tone was playing I just used the softkeys at the side and turned the volume up full, i think there is a default setting or somthing with the alarms as i have heard of this problem before

Didnt work. found a workaround though. I downloaded Audiomanager and can adjust alarm volume from that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Meteor has confimed Android 2.1 for the Hero by the end of march.
    In the original post it was 2.0 "sometime in and around march" but later posted that its 2.1, they also say it will be available from HTCs website & that they are looking at other distribution options. I assume this means that they are looking at OTA.

http://techfeen.com/android-2-1-is-coming-to-everyone-within-a-few-days/

iknorr wrote: »
    Meteor has confimed Android 2.1 for the Hero by the end of march.
    In the original post it was 2.0 "sometime in and around march" but later posted that its 2.1, they also say it will be available from HTCs website & that they are looking at other distribution options. I assume this means that they are looking at OTA.

http://techfeen.com/android-2-1-is-coming-to-everyone-within-a-few-days/

I've seen that on meteor forums. Seems that they don't know what ther are talking about. They were saying that they going to bring 2.0 first but when someone said that there won't be any 2.0 update for hero, meteor said that it is going to be 2.1 on the end of march.

What would take so long to deliver? 1.5 month later after official release?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Problems Syncing on Meteor:

Tried out Google Calendar to see how it'd work on the Hero, didnt work, checked settings said it was expierencing problems, be back shortly. That was a few days ago. Noticed a friend on facebook updated their profile pic, didnt change on my phone, now see under settings that contacts is also expierences syncing problems, says will be back shortly.

So is this a widespread issue at the moment or just I who is affected? Happen to anyone before? Cure perhaps?

(I'm connected wirelessly a lot of the day either through 3G or wi-fi. Have auto-sync on.)

flugel wrote: »

Tried out Google Calendar to see how it'd work on the Hero, didnt work, checked settings said it was expierencing problems, be back shortly. That was a few days ago. Noticed a friend on facebook updated their profile pic, didnt change on my phone, now see under settings that contacts is also expierences syncing problems, says will be back shortly.

So is this a widespread issue at the moment or just I who is affected? Happen to anyone before? Cure perhaps?

(I'm connected wirelessly a lot of the day either through 3G or wi-fi. Have auto-sync on.)

This is a problem on the Meteor network. It has been suggested that they have closed some ports on the network & this is causing certain apps to fail to connect. Meteor don't seem to give a **** about the problem & have fobbed the issue off with a fairly generic & non committal response...

See this thread on the Meteor site: http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=326

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Getting this too. Due to Android's bizarre inability to interface properly with Exchange, I synced my Outlook to Google Calender but am getting the same problem you describe.

edit: The Meteor forum thread also has people saying they can't the twitter app to sync over 3G. Me too!

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    I've seen that on meteor forums. Seems that they don't know what ther are talking about. They were saying that they going to bring 2.0 first but when someone said that there won't be any 2.0 update for hero, meteor said that it is going to be 2.1 on the end of march.

What would take so long to deliver? 1.5 month later after official release?

I agree, meteors support for the Hero on their forums is dismal. They havent a clue. I only know one meteor employee that knows more than i do about the Hero, hes in Wilton Cork, it was a pleasure to deal with him, a gent. Every other employee think its just like a normal phone and react to any question about it like its a Nokia Dumbphone.

Meteor are usually very slow at giving out statements like the one i mention earlier but seeing that they have said by the end of march, i would definitely expect that 2.1 will be available by then. probably earlier

I agree, meteors support for the Hero on their forums is dismal. They havent a clue. I only know one meteor employee that knows more than i do about the Hero, hes in Wilton Cork, it was a pleasure to deal with him, a gent. Every other employee think its just like a normal phone and react to any question about it like its a Nokia Dumbphone.

Meteor are usually very slow at giving out statements like the one i mention earlier but seeing that they have said by the end of march, i would definitely expect that 2.1 will be available by then. probably earlier

Yeh, 2.1 should be available mid February. The 12th has been mentioned elsewhere...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yeh, 2.1 should be available mid February. The 12th has been mentioned elsewhere...

Aye, all those unsourced rumours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

As mentioned above the syncing problem is due to Meteor's network, it should be syncing over wi-fi.

Aye, all those unsourced rumours ;)

Read the blogs...
    engadget, androidguys, androidandme, gizomodo, theregister, gsmarena etc...

I'm not reporting it as fact, just saying it has been mentioned elsewhere... (there is a difference)

Bluefoam wrote: »
    This is a problem on the Meteor network. It has been suggested that they have closed some ports on the network & this is causing certain apps to fail to connect. Meteor don't seem to give a **** about the problem & have fobbed the issue off with a fairly generic & non committal response...

See this thread on the Meteor site: http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=326

FFS. Read the above thread, bloody ridiculous. Do Meteor even have a tech dept? Cant believe the situation hasnt been resolved and its been around since day dot by the looks of it. Never mind resolved, hasnt even been answered. I wont be getting that unlimited data package after all it appears!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

My calendar is syncing fine over 3g. Facebook also updates no problem but not sure if it did that when I was connected to wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Can anyone else confirm that when I use flashrec I must "Backup Recovery Image" first before "Flash Recovery Image" will be un-greyed so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 strangesdays

Hey recently rooted my Hero and I'm trying (in vain) to get the Cabbage Texter to work using the Java included in the most recent Modaco rom... It keeps telling me it kind find the find the file in the local install folder? I've moved .jad into that folder, also left in the default download folder but its the same error message...

Anyone know how to do it correctly? Forgive me if this has been asked and answered but the thread is getting kinda long...

Can anyone else confirm that when I use flashrec I must "Backup Recovery Image" first before "Flash Recovery Image" will be un-greyed so to speak.

fast forward to 2:50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hey recently rooted my Hero and I'm trying (in vain) to get the Cabbage Texter to work using the Java included in the most recent Modaco rom... It keeps telling me it kind find the find the file in the local install folder? I've moved .jad into that folder, also left in the default download folder but its the same error message...

Anyone know how to do it correctly? Forgive me if this has been asked and answered but the thread is getting kinda long...
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know using the new java app it is possible to run cabbage. In wifi areas thats effectively 300 more free texts per month. It didnt work when i used the download to mobile link so I tried download to pc and copied to the phone. Ran the .jar file with java and successfully sent a test text.

Hope this helps. I bolded what I think is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Seems I'll have to downgrade in order to root the Hero, looks pretty hard too. Very pissed off with the piss poor wireless though, my itouch has perfect signal yet the hero has none, ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Seems I'll have to downgrade in order to root the Hero, looks pretty hard too. Very pissed off with the piss poor wireless though, my itouch has perfect signal yet the hero has none, ridiculous.

even more so given that there not many people complaining about wifi.
    what problems do you have with it?
    channel setting on both router and phone are the same??

Seems I'll have to downgrade in order to root the Hero, looks pretty hard too.

Do you have the meteor Hero? Did you do backup in flashrec? Just rename amonra zip to something simple and easy to type in (like a.zip), run flashrec, backup, load a.zip then flash. Thats it, you can now flash any rom you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 strangesdays

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hope this helps. I bolded what I think is the issue.

Cheers! That did it alright... I was trying to install with the .jad which it clearly did not like

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Gonzo_Reporter

This has more than likely been posted already but with over 100 pages well you know...

should i start with the oldest update or will the newest one do?

Whats the easiest video file type to play on the Hero?

Some mp4 stuff played for me, some did not. Tried some clips that were intended for use on a PSP (still mp4 right?) and they didnt work. Has it got to do with specific settings of mp4 files, as in bitrate, dimensions of the picture etc?

Would videos intented for the ipod touch work without a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭a7k10rf6z8buel

just to add to the above- does digital editions from blurays or dvds work on the Hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

brmccfc wrote: »
    Nope, already been debunked: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-mozillas-road-map-dont-expect-fennec-anytime-soon. It's not even beta for Android yet, little enough chance of it this year, never mind February

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement