Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options
1697071727375»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Oh I'm not comparing the two at all. I know the Hero is far ahead of the 5800. I'm simply being awkward in that I'm fairly happy with the 5800 and don't see a need/reason to upgrade.

if you can have it for cheap I would probably do it just for the resell value.
    get rid of it in a couple months and you can make 250euro easy.
    the legend is nice yeah, but if you think you can get it for the same price you're mistaken.
    I'd go for the hero at that price.
    Be aware only flash lite is available in hero's browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Might be interested in these

http://techfeen.com/android-2-1-ota-leaked/
    http://techfeen.com/carriers-prepared-for-imminent-release-of-android2-1/

Aparently the official OTA Android 2.1 has been leaked for Eris.
    uS carriers are dropping hints and "leaks"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

iknorr wrote: »
    Might be interested in these

http://techfeen.com/android-2-1-ota-leaked/
    http://techfeen.com/carriers-prepared-for-imminent-release-of-android2-1/

Aparently the official OTA Android 2.1 has been leaked for Eris.
    uS carriers are dropping hints and "leaks"

Good stuff, I wonder if that can be ported to Hero?

I have two questions about my Hero:

1 - How can I force the Calendar app to sync with my Google Calendar? I added events yesterday on my PC, but they don't show up on my Hero.

2 - What's the easiest way to transfer my "Phone" contacts to my Google contacts? Can I do this from my phone, or should I connect to the PC?

its been a while since i had to fiddle with them.

calender should sync automatically if you have ur gmail set up on the phone. ( as in, you have signed in)

what i done with my contacts was to export to a file. then import to gmail. then use gmail contacts to eidt your contacts. once your happy with that then just set your contacts to use gmail. Then both your phone and gmail will have the same contacts and will automatically update.

Sidenote: they might not have updated yet due to the problems with the meteor data at the moment. try it on wifi.

theres a detailed explanation of this here http://techfeen.com/setting-up-gmail-contacts-on-htc-hero/
    but be warned, if u follow the steps exactly and delete all ur gmail contacts ( after backup) and restore them after edit, then you will loose all the gmail chat links to other people. just skip the delete step.

Thanks for that iknorr.

All my email and phone number contacts are nicely combined in my Gmail now.

Although I'm still having trouble syncing this to my phone.

I've deleted all contacts on my phone, is there a way of forcing my Hero to sync contacts & calendar with Google?

I don't have Wifi access here, but my Google account is definately set up on my Hero and works over Meteor 3G (I use the Gmail and Google Talk apps all the time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

plazzTT wrote: »
    1 - How can I force the Calendar app to sync with my Google Calendar? I added events yesterday on my PC, but they don't show up on my Hero.
    If you are on Meteor they have some ports blocked that are stopping calendar & contacts syncing via 3G, try sysncing via wifi - it should work
    2 - What's the easiest way to transfer my "Phone" contacts to my Google contacts? Can I do this from my phone, or should I connect to the PC?
    I experienced this too & used an app from the market to address the issue (can't remember the name) but it had a conflict with the Hero. The problem is sorted in newer versons of android so should allow you to change your contacts from phone to google when 2.1 is released.

Thanks I got that to all sync up over WiFi.

Strange how it doesn't work over Meteor 3G, when gmail, google talk and things like weather widgets update fine. Is it definitely because of a blocked port? Which one?

Thanks I got that to all sync up over WiFi.

Strange how it doesn't work over Meteor 3G, when gmail, google talk and things like weather widgets update fine. Is it definitely because of a blocked port? Which one?

not 100% on this. meteor are denying it. Apparently these issues will be resolved in 2.1 like bluefoam said.

meteor seem to be upgradint heir network at the moment. Some users around the country are dropping data coverage then regaining it again almost randomly while the upgrades are taking places. - at least that is what we are led to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Does anyone know how to root / install a recovery image when the phones firmware is 2.73.771.73

I've tried a few methods but they don't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to root / install a recovery image when the phones firmware is 2.73.771.73

I've tried a few methods but they don't work.

Well bob what you do is create a "goldcard" which bypasses CID checking so you can downgrade using to one of the older roms then use the standard methods for flashing the recovery image which allows for flashing of custom roms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Is it possible to customise your homescreen (and lockscreen) on the Hero similar to what you can do say with an iPhone? Are there many different themes available etc on the Android Market?

I like the idea of being able to individualise my phones with different themes, fonts, icons etc?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Shanio100 wrote: »
    Is it possible to customise your homescreen (and lockscreen) on the Hero similar to what you can do say with an iPhone? Are there many different themes available etc on the Android Market?

I like the idea of being able to individualise my phones with different themes, fonts, icons etc?

Cheers.
    The Hero is far more customisable than the iPhone. You have 7 homescreens where you can place shortcuts to apps, contacts, bookmarks, widgets etc. wherever you want. Thousands of widgets can be downloaded from the market too.

You can also set your own wallpaper on both the homescreens and the lockscreen.

And you can have several different homescreen sets, or "scenes," for different scenariros, e.g. work and home.

If it's customisation you're after, I'd steer well clear of an iPhone tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Thanks Breezer, that sounds perfect, I like being able to chop and change various options a lot (the kid in me I think :p).

Seen some funky looking screens on iPhones around though, so was hoping to be able to outdo them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Shanio100 wrote: »
    Thanks Breezer, that sounds perfect, I like being able to chop and change various options a lot (the kid in me I think :p).

Seen some funky looking screens on iPhones around though, so was hoping to be able to outdo them!
    Funky looking iPhones are jailbroken. By default, you can do almost nothing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Anyone care to explain Market Enabler to me? Does it involved rooting my phone? Does it mess around with network settings? Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Anyone care to explain Market Enabler to me? Does it involved rooting my phone? Does it mess around with network settings? Is it worth it?

market enabler replaces a hidden "string" that represents the country you are in, with a string representing one of the countries enabled for paid-for apps.
    you do need root to use it.
    the change in the string is temporary, so you only need to reboot the phone to revert to default, however be aware that in most cases it does break location by cell detection. again, nothing to worry about, you only need a reboot.
    worth it? yeah. big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The suggestion for an Android Related Forum was unfortunately rejected. Perhaps its time to put this mega thread to bed and start creating new threads? A lot of the same questions keep arising as far as I can see of no fault to posters as there are 2000+ posts.

What you reckon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Dingatron wrote: »
    The suggestion for an Android Related Forum was unfortunately rejected. Perhaps its time to put this mega thread to bed and start creating new threads? A lot of the same questions keep arising as far as I can see of no fault to posters as there are 2000+ posts.

What you reckon.....
    totally agree. this thread is just so far out of hand.

perhaps we could start a few new threads (when needed obviously), and reply within them. maybe in time the mods would sticky those threads, and eventually get our own forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My Meteor Hero keeps saying sim service not available. If I turn on airplane mode and turn it off it works again. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dingatron wrote: »

What you reckon.....

+1

It's getting harder and harder to read this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    My Meteor Hero keeps saying sim service not available. If I turn on airplane mode and turn it off it works again. Any ideas?
    i think thats the big propblem at the moment, the meteor network switches between 3G and 2G and the phone cant keep up with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gumbo wrote: »
    i think thats the big propblem at the moment, the meteor network switches between 3G and 2G and the phone cant keep up with it.

So its a network thing rather than a phone thing? Seems to happen alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Dear Mods
    Can we please start moderating this thread as we are repeatedly covering topics due to its size. Can you please start moving new posts to relevant topics within the mobile phone thread.

Regards, Blue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

yep - good idea.
    I'm going to close this - and let people open new threads for each topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement