Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options
  • 24-06-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Just announced today, Android OS, but with HTC's own visual layer. The video linked on Engadget is an eye-candy orgasm fest. Specs aren't too shabby either, 530Mhz processor, 5 megapixel camera, coated in teflon to keep off dirt, fingerprint resistant, capacitive screen, multitouch, compass, 3.5mm audio jack, and supports flash out of the box, not bad!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/24/htc-hero-details-begin-leaking-from-htcs-own-website/#continued

htc-hero-press-4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

This caught my eye on engadget aswell - I am really impressed. And I think it looks well too. The new Sense UI looks fantastic - there are a few videos on youtube now showing it in action.

I think I might go for this when I get rid of my iPhone 1st gen. Impressive specs, good looks and an OS to rival the iPhone...

E: It has GPS aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm very flummoxed now. I was certain I was going to get an iPhone on Friday morning to replace my damaged iPhone, but the HTC is looking like a real contender, and it's out in about a fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

A HTC with a headphone jack?!:eek:

This looks very impressive, they've gotten rid of some of Android's missing features like the lack of pinch to zoom and so on. Also, flash support! I think I'd get this over a Palm Pre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I don't think it comes with Google applications, if that makes a difference for anyone?

I don't think it comes with Google applications, if that makes a difference for anyone?

It's not branded with Google, but it does have Google apps. If you look at the video below you can see Google maps, Google Talk and Gmail applications in the launcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I'm very flummoxed now. I was certain I was going to get an iPhone on Friday morning to replace my damaged iPhone, but the HTC is looking like a real contender, and it's out in about a fortnight.

Will this be out shortly?

I was thinking of getting a iPhone 3GS or a Nokia N97 but I prefer the look of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Strange to see the Church of Scientology listed in the footprints. Tom's minions must have taken over HTC... quick someone contact Xenu.:D

Not bad at all, just wish it didn't have that chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Any idea on price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Does anyone know if this will be available on contract in Ireland?

mobius42 wrote: »
    It's not branded with Google, but it does have Google apps. If you look at the video below you can see Google maps, Google Talk and Gmail applications in the launcher.

Wow, that video looks amazing !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

ooooohhh very tempted need a bit more info and a price!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

£431.24 here :
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2156/htc-hero/37fbaa7f99cc912a820d207fd9ecdf3b

But that's unsubsidised. If a network takes it up here, it could be a 200-250 Euro phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

Anyone heard any release date for any Android phone? I can't believe they are so slow considering the lack of smartphones competing with iPhone/O2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Orange in Uk are releasing it early july and its free for a 24 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

expansys.ie selling it for €519 on July 7th
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=184566

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Gah! Same price as the iPhone 3Gs on pre-pay!

Decisions, why must you be so difficult!?

Elessar wrote: »
    Gah! Same price as the iPhone 3Gs on pre-pay!

Decisions, why must you be so difficult!?

Very little storage space compared to the iphone so Its no replacement for an mp3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

foobar wrote: »
    Very little storage space compared to the iphone so Its no replacement for an mp3 player.
    4/8/16/32(theyre coming)gb microsd and youre sorted for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

i initally liked the look of this one - but its still a bit thick (only slightly thinner than the g1) and that chin that sticks out puts me right off :(

im now gonna choose between diamond2 and touch hd. decisions decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Would love to see which operator picks up this phone. Looks great that's for sure, and a serious spec sheet to go with it!

Nice - will be watching closely.

• Advertisement

I think Vodafone have said they're not getting this. O2 have said that they're getting some Android handsets this year, so its most likely them. As for Meteor or 3, who knows.

Either way, it's being released SIM-free in a week or two, so the operator is irrelevent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Oh cool. Didnt know that, thanks Mobius42!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

OH me likey too!

I was all set for the N97, but I'm really liking the look of this.
    I've always had nokia's and as much as I like the look of the N97, I just feel its too high a price point for what it is. It looks great but for a flagship device its slightly off the mark on many things, only slightly though.

Does anyone know how updates work with Android phones?
    As its open do the bugs get fixed pretty quickly?
    Are there many applications available for it?
    Anyone give me a good HTC/Android forum to read up on it?

lafors wrote: »

Does anyone know how updates work with Android phones?
    This phone will be slightly different for updates than other Android phones. There won't be over the air firmware updates like the G1, you'll have to download them from HTC.
    Are there many applications available for it?
    The Android Market is the next largest app store after Apple's. There wouldn't be half as many apps but there are a lot of interesting ones. Have a look at a few here: http://www.android.com/market/ &
    http://gizmodo.com/tag/android-apps/
    Anyone give me a good HTC/Android forum to read up on it?
    http://www.xda-developers.com/ is good for downloading custom firmware and general tips and hacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Is this the Bruce Forsyth of mobiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I like this phone, would be great if a network took it on....Vodafone are losing out more and more.

They have no decent smart phones and they keep on passing up new devices that people want. They phoned me the other day and said I was due an upgrade, which I knew for the last two months and they then tried to get me to 'upgrade' to an inferior phone to my current one while on the call (even saying they knew what phone I already had) and that the phone would be free if I agree now...obviously trying to pin me down with another year contract!

I said no, that you have no decent phones on the market and I could leave the network due to this...So, anyone buying SIM free? Would it work out cheaper anyway? And who would be the best network to go with, I would be looking to use it heavily for browsing etc...

P.S. I don't think I mind the chin, anyone else finding the Iphone has become a tad boring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Same here - we have 3 phones on vodafone all are end of contract and all are sim free. Vodafone doesn't have anything appealing in their line up.

On the hero - I really don't like the chin , enough to rule out the phone. What I would like is something like the N97 but with android and an FM radio!

Not a lot to ask for? :)
    Easy Rider wrote: »
    I like this phone, would be great if a network took it on....Vodafone are losing out more and more.

They have no decent smart phones and they keep on passing up new devices that people want. They phoned me the other day and said I was due an upgrade, which I knew for the last two months and they then tried to get me to 'upgrade' to an inferior phone to my current one while on the call (even saying they knew what phone I already had) and that the phone would be free if I agree now...obviously trying to pin me down with another year contract!

I said no, that you have no decent phones on the market and I could leave the network due to this...So, anyone buying SIM free? Would it work out cheaper anyway? And who would be the best network to go with, I would be looking to use it heavily for browsing etc...

P.S. I don't think I mind the chin, anyone else finding the Iphone has become a tad boring?

Easy Rider wrote: »

One of my reasons for wanting this phone. I've had an iPhone since they came out here and, while it is a great phone, I'm bored with it and want to try something new. Also, being able to run background apps, having a decent notification system, push Gmail, Flash and the openness of Android are also appealing.

I don't mind the chin; I'm not sure why people seem to dislike it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Radio would be good agree. The N97, really the software looks so outdated, so I can understand going for the Android OS....In relation to the chin, I don't think it is that bad, but I would still like to see it in the flesh, which might prove difficult...

What is the story with Vodafone? Are they just going to go with Samsung phones like the Jet...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sundalic

Very interested in this phone. Was on for getting an iphone but found out there's only Edge coverage at work and since our work internet was removed mobile internet is pretty important to me.
    If I buy a sim free Hero does anyone know if I'll be able to fully set it up on 3? I asked their customer support but they seemed to think I'd only be able to use voice and text and not the internet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement