Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

28064212 wrote: »
    That's true of Opera Mini, but not of the default browser. The compression is done by the Opera servers

So is there anything similar? I’m just conscious of that data plan I have

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im considering getting a Hero, would i need to get the data pack meteor are offering?
    If so would the 250mb [the 5 euro one] be sufficient considering ill mostly be using the net for firmware updates etc.
    I cant se myslef surfing the net unless im at home on wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Im considering getting a Hero, would i need to get the data pack meteor are offering?
    If so would the 250mb [the 5 euro one] be sufficient considering ill mostly be using the net for firmware updates etc.
    I cant se myslef surfing the net unless im at home on wifi.

I wouldnt be too worried about firmware updates if I were you.
    whenever an update comes out you're going to see a notification in the not. bar.
    you dont have to accept it immediately (although the update may be forced after days of putting it off). you can then accept it when you're at home on your wifi.
    For light/moderate use I transfer 5/6MB per day (some browsing, twitter always on, stock exchange monitoring, email..). so 250MB in my opinion could be enough.
    I suggest you install a monitoring app and keep an eye on it for the first couple of weeks.
    keep in mind as the novelty wears off your usage will likely decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Nmesisca, what Twitter client do you use?

I'm using Seesmic, but it won't connect over the Edge/3G, only on Wifi.

Know a fix, or a better client?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

nmesisca wrote: »
    I wouldnt be too worried about firmware updates if I were you.
    whenever an update comes out you're going to see a notification in the not. bar.
    you dont have to accept it immediately (although the update may be forced after days of putting it off). you can then accept it when you're at home on your wifi.
    For light/moderate use I transfer 5/6MB per day (some browsing, twitter always on, stock exchange monitoring, email..). so 250MB in my opinion could be enough.
    I suggest you install a monitoring app and keep an eye on it for the first couple of weeks.
    keep in mind as the novelty wears off your usage will likely decrease.

Thanks for that mate, im torn between the Hero and the Samsung Jet :)

• Advertisement

im using twidgit lite, but what you're describing sounds more like Meteor being... meteor..

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Thanks for that mate, im torn between the Hero and the Samsung Jet :)

think long and hard, cause there is no comparison.
    different planet.
    food for the mind. try to find out what you need to do to change wallpapers on the Jet. or the tocco. or..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I see the Meteor Store is back up so that means they must of found a new supplier. Would this affect whether the Hero would still be Unlocked or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's something to do with Meteor blocking ports. If you use Twitdroid turn SSL connection on (secure connection) and it works fine over 3G/EDGE on Meteor.

data.mymeteor.ie is definitely not correctly provisioned to support the HTC Hero.

The same problem prevents Google Sync from working too, which is a pain.

Ring Meteor and complain too. They are not solving these issues nearly fast enough. They're going on since the Hero launched.

Meteor can be called on 1905
    or post on their forums http://forums.meteor.ie/

I have now made a formal complaint in writing about the on-going 3G problems i.e. the dropping network connections and the data problems.

It's a shame that they're not getting the data support right as the Hero is an absolutely fantastic handset. In many ways it trumps the iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

is it just android v1.5 that is causing this problem with meteor?

• Advertisement

The synchronising issue? That isn't anything to do with Android or any other OS. Meteor have simply blocked a port that the google services need. These things can take time to fix despite it involving somebody doing something simple to fix. It took one month to get a port opened in the last place that I worrked in, bloody red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

It seesm to be only happening on the Hero with meteor, V1.5 . i know other Android devices have worked fine on meteor. The only thing i can see different is the android version....

or have i blinkers on and missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

iknorr wrote: »
    It seesm to be only happening on the Hero with meteor, V1.5 . i know other Android devices have worked fine on meteor. The only thing i can see different is the android version....

or have i blinkers on and missing something?

Whatever the problem is, it's ridiculous that Meteor & Eircom Mobile didn't field-test the Hero before launching it with this glitch on unsuspecting customers who signed 12/18 month contracts or paid big money for the prepay version.

There are two separate problems :

1) What appears to be blocked ports on the data.mymeteor.ie APN which they use for handsets. This is preventing access to Google Sync, Twitter, and possibly other things.

Solution might be to give us the mobile broadband APN : broadband.mymeteor.ie rather than this firewalled stuff.

The only Twitter client that works is Twitdroid and that ONLY works if you use SSL ports. I stumbled upon this solution accidentally. The built-in twitter client and any other Twitter clients e.g. Seesmic etc just won't work at all as they don't support SSL and Meteor is blocking normal twitter traffic.

Google Sync will only work over WiFi

2) 3G / 2G handover issue. It seems to me that when the HTC Hero switches from Meteor 3G to Meteor 2G that it loses the network completely and goes a bit nuts. You get "SIM Error - Not registered on network" and the only way around it is to reboot the phone or cycle it in and out of Airplane mode i.e. reboot the GSM/UMTS radio.

The only solution to this seems to be to run the phone in 2G/EDGE only unless you need 3G in which case you have to activate it manually and deactivate it when you're finished.

I discovered this by accident!

It's hardly an ideal situation, if it's in 3G mode it basically randomly drops off the network and leaves you with no phone service at all so you miss calls etc etc..

Total pain in the rear-end if you're in business in particular!

Anytime I have phoned Meteor the customer service staff act like nobody's having this problem and that nobody else is having any issues with Twitter etc etc..

The store replaced my handset and SIM but it still has the same problem.

Their forum seems to be pinning all their hopes on HTC's Android 2.1 release in March. Perhaps this might iron out the 3G/2G dropping off the network issue, but I can't see how it will address the issue of blocked ports.

They really need to get their act together if they're going to be taken seriously as a network for Smartphone users.

baz8080 wrote: »
    The synchronising issue? That isn't anything to do with Android or any other OS. Meteor have simply blocked a port that the google services need. These things can take time to fix despite it involving somebody doing something simple to fix. It took one month to get a port opened in the last place that I worrked in, bloody red tape.

Yeah, nothing to do with the OS, or its version.

For whats worth, I heard some people are having the same issues with Meteor on their Nexus ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

Solair wrote: »
    1) What appears to be blocked ports on the data.mymeteor.ie APN which they use for handsets. This is preventing access to Google Sync, Twitter, and possibly other things.

just a note on this, I'm able to sync google/twitter/facebook no problem over my data connection bar google contacts which will only sync over wifi. I'm currently running the peep client (htc widget) but also used twidroid previously which worked without altering any SSL settings for me.

My exchange (mail,calendar,contacts)/gmail/hotmail etc also have no problem syncing over data. The only thing that won't for me over data is goggle contacts.

I also haven't had any of the 2G/3G switchover issues mentioned.

Oh and I'm on meteor and I'm currently on a custom 2.1 rom but i used previously on a custom 1.5 rom and the stock 1.5 rom and all the above stands for my experience of all of them.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2cents from a happy camper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I haven't looked at this thread in a while but just wondering if anybody else has had this bizarre occurrence?

I went to text someone and when typing in their name, that auto-complete type thing didn't populate. So went into my inbox and most of the texts only had numbers associated with them, not names? Went into my contacts list & for a split second, it showed but then disappeared. According to my phone I have zero phone contacts and zero google contacts (my sim is fine thankfully)! So where the hell have they gone? I've done the whole on & off trick & everything else seems to be working but contacts, GONE?!

Yenwod wrote: »
    I haven't looked at this thread in a while but just wondering if anybody else has had this bizarre occurrence?

I went to text someone and when typing in their name, that auto-complete type thing didn't populate. So went into my inbox and most of the texts only had numbers associated with them, not names? Went into my contacts list & for a split second, it showed but then disappeared. According to my phone I have zero phone contacts and zero google contacts (my sim is fine thankfully)! So where the hell have they gone? I've done the whole on & off trick & everything else seems to be working but contacts, GONE?!

ouch.. that sucks big time..
    i take it its not the stock rom you're using..
    and that there is no filtering to the contact list on the phone ..
    if thats the case and google contacts are empty too.. unless you have them backed up i d say you lost them :(
    i ve heard the same happening to someone on xda forums but never looked into it. maybe have a look there. i think it was in the htc magic threads..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

godtabh wrote: »
    So is there anything similar? I’m just conscious of that data plan I have
    You cound try Squeezr, technology is similar to Opera Mini, except you can use it through your normal browser

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

nmesisca wrote: »
    ouch.. that sucks big time..
    i take it its not the stock rom you're using..
    and that there is no filtering to the contact list on the phone ..
    if thats the case and google contacts are empty too.. unless you have them backed up i d say you lost them :(
    i ve heard the same happening to someone on xda forums but never looked into it. maybe have a look there. i think it was in the htc magic threads..
    It actually is the stock rom that I have, still havent got round to fiddling around with the unofficial ones.
    I have all the contacts on my sim card so I'm not too worried, I'll just copy them over to the phone again and sync them up with gmail...although just a bit of a pain coz will have to sort them out again, rename some folk etc..

But such an odd thing to happen since everything else seems to be perfect, still signed into my gmail, facebook etc, all texts there... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just discovered a program to tether the phone... works great & will be very handy for the odd hotel stay etc...

its called pda net

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You cound try Squeezr, technology is similar to Opera Mini, except you can use it through your normal browser

nothing listed on the market place

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

godtabh wrote: »
    nothing listed on the market place
    Sorry, should have been clearer, it's not an app. Just visit squeezr.net on your browser, then use their address bar to visit pages. The pages travel through their servers and are compressed down before being sent to your device

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Sorry, should have been clearer, it's not an app. Just visit squeezr.net on your browser, then use their address bar to visit pages. The pages travel through their servers and are compressed down before being sent to your device

Ah right.

Seems like alot of hassle. I'll keep looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I've seen people mention problems syncing over the meteor network but I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or solved.

My Hero won't sync with Exchange over the data network, only over WIFI.

Anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've seen people mention problems syncing over the meteor network but I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or solved.

unsolved so far. meteor is blocking ports.

Anyone help me out with syncronising my google contacts, it doesnt work at all atm, wifi or otherwise.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    unsolved so far. meteor is blocking ports.

Anyone help me out with syncronising my google contacts, it doesnt work at all atm, wifi or otherwise.

I don't think it's necessarily meteor blocking the ports for all of the above issues as the only sync that doesn't work for me is google contacts over data, everything else works fine for me.

Any particular error messages displaying when either of you having issues?

If your google contacts really refuses to sync completely you can always export to csv, import to outlook and use HTC sync. A pain but it is a workaround if you're stuck.

I just get

Exchange Sync Error
    An authentication error has occurred on xx:xx

I know the information entered is correct as soon as I go on Wifi an Sync it works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I just get

Exchange Sync Error
    An authentication error has occurred on xx:xx

I know the information entered is correct as soon as I go on Wifi an Sync it works

I doubt it is Meteors fault. I have one working fine on Exchange 2003. Do you know what version of exchange it is,

I doubt it is Meteors fault. I have one working fine on Exchange 2003. Do you know what version of exchange it is,

• Advertisement

sounds strange, alas I've no magic fix. I just removed and added my exchange again and it worked fine.

what I would try if I was you is looking at a logcat using adb while trying to sync and see if you see anything there.

or try a different ROM to see if that makes a difference, can't do any harm to give it a go!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement