Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Anyone using an updated hero Rom here, that can let us know ifyou have Bluetooth ftp?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

:D
    28064212 wrote: »
    Yes it does, you're not understanding what we're talking about. It's not about checking whether there is a new app version available. Take the Gmail app for example. If you allow it to sync in the background, it will check your gmail account, and download any new emails it finds. Obviously, the amount of data it will download will depend on how many new emails it is syncing. And different apps will have different requirements for how much data they will need.

Link to Vodafone's pricing: Vodafone Mobile Internet.

You either have a data add-on, or you're talking about Prepay Mobile Broadband, which is a different issue

ah sorry got it now. apologies. bad day.
    (no addon and its not mobile bb either ... long story :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

hi guys,

wondering could someone help me please, ive tried reading through bits of the thread but theres so much here.

Basicaslly just got an unlocked hero and cant get internet and mms working..could someone please let me know how to do this or point me in the right direction? appreciated!!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Narrow it down a bit for us.... what network? :)

sorry on the O2 network. im billpay and already have data plan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ornir wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy the Hero on Meteor prepay. The lads in the Meteor store were saying that some of the apps automatically update from the internet, even when you're not in range of Wi-fi, and that there's no way to turn this off. Is this true? Or were they just trying to get me onto a contract with a data add-on?
    28064212 wrote: »
    It's true. Ish. There's an app you can get on the market called APNDroid that will turn off mobile data, so the apps can't update themselves. I use my Android phone on prepay, just switch on data when I want it (which is rarely)

Actually, it's much easier than that! You don't need an app at all, the phone has an even easier way.

When the phone is not screen-locked , just press and hold down the power key on your HTC Hero.

A menu will pop up with Mobile Network On/Off

Select that, and it turns off mobile data.

Great if you're on prepay and don't want to waste credit.

There's also options in there for :

Power Off
    Silent Mode (on/off)
    Vibration Mode (on/off)
    Airplane Mode (Turns on/off wifi, bluetooth and GSM/UMTS [mobile services])
    Mobile Network (turns on/off mobile data)

A few other tips:

Hold down the Home Key at any point and you will see a menu of running apps. This lets you hot-switch between them very quickly.

Pushing the telephone key will always bring you back to the dialler.

In the browser, if you hold down the back-up key, you will jump into the browser history.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Solair wrote: »

A few other tips:

Hold down the Home Key at any point and you will see a menu of running apps. This lets you hot-switch between them very quickly.

Pushing the telephone key will always bring you back to the dialler.

In the browser, if you hold down the back-up key, you will jump into the browser history.

I freaking love you.

Also, not sure if it was mentioned, double tapping the menu button when the screen in locked will open it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can also add HTC Widgets that have many of those settings straight to your phone's desktops panes.

Just go to the pane you want to add the widget to as per usual, press the "+" icon on the bottom right of the screen. Then select, HTC widget, scroll down to Settings, here you will find switch-widgits which can be used to control:

Airplane mode on/off
    Bluetooth on/off
    GPS on/off
    Mobile network (data) on/off
    Wi-Fi on/off.

You don't need to download 3rd party apps for this on the HTC Hero, you do for other android phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ornir

Solair wrote: »
    You can also add HTC Widgets that have many of those settings straight to your phone's desktops panes.

Just go to the pane you want to add the widget to as per usual, press the "+" icon on the bottom right of the screen. Then select, HTC widget, scroll down to Settings, here you will find switch-widgits which can be used to control:

Airplane mode on/off
    Bluetooth on/off
    GPS on/off
    Mobile network (data) on/off
    Wi-Fi on/off.

You don't need to download 3rd party apps for this on the HTC Hero, you do for other android phones.

Cheers for that Solair! That's re-assuring to know. Gonna order mine tomorrow (Store doesn't have it in stock so I'll have to wait) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭28064212

viper006 wrote: »
    sorry on the O2 network. im billpay and already have data plan
    APN: internet
    Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    Username: <Not set>
    Password: <Not set>
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    MMS Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 02
    APN Type: internet + mms
    Authentication Type: Normal(PAP)

Those work for me on o2 prepay, and as far as I know, the settings for billpay are the same

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

thanks for getting back to me!!

so your sayin i should just set up the one apn with those settings.. i was settings up separate apn's. I shoud just use the one as above so ya?

thanks for getting back to me!!

so your sayin i should just set up the one apn with those settings.. i was settings up separate apn's. I shoud just use the one as above so ya?
    Yep, that's all I'm using

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

hey 280,

i had being using the following:

Name: o2 MMS
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    APN type: mms

Name: o2 Internet
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    APN type: <not set>

i got internet no problem with this but no mms.. tryin it your way above left with neither internet or mms so doesnt seem like the solution??

can any1 else offer some insight please who mightve had same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Have the hero abuot a month now and absolutely love it.

One minor quibble though, is there a way to disable the volume button on the side, as sometimes when I take the phone out of my pocket or pick it up from the desk I notice the volume icon coming up and decreasing where I obviously press the button inadvertently.

(To the earlier poster, I too get the "loading" screen sometimes when coming out of the "lock" screen)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Patrickof wrote: »
    Have the hero abuot a month now and absolutely love it.

One minor quibble though, is there a way to disable the volume button on the side, as sometimes when I take the phone out of my pocket or pick it up from the desk I notice the volume icon coming up and decreasing where I obviously press the button inadvertently.

(To the earlier poster, I too get the "loading" screen sometimes when coming out of the "lock" screen)

isnt the loading screens random appearance when android crashes? Maybe theres some app causing it to crash and restart (loading) when u unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just to let you guys know using the new java app it is possible to run cabbage. In wifi areas thats effectively 300 more free texts per month. It didnt work when i used the download to mobile link so I tried download to pc and copied to the phone. Ran the .jar file with java and successfully sent a test text.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

HTC Sync upgrade (V2.0.18) for Magic, Hero & Tattoo released today...

maybe some sort of update for the new rom coming??? ( windows 7 sunc and an issue with xp confirmed fixed. )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Hey guys, im sure this has been asked countless times before but why can't Irish customers purchase paid for apps from market ? Is there any way of getting around this ?

Hey guys, im sure this has been asked countless times before but why can't Irish customers purchase paid for apps from market ? Is there any way of getting around this ?

if you're rooted, install MarketEnabler..

As nmesisca said, if you're rooted you can use MarketEnabler, otherwise it can't be done. Google haven't said when they're going to allow paid apps in Ireland (or why they're not enabled yet), but with the Nexus One supposed to be out here in Spring, I would imagine it would be before then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know using the new java app it is possible to run cabbage. In wifi areas thats effectively 300 more free texts per month. It didnt work when i used the download to mobile link so I tried download to pc and copied to the phone. Ran the .jar file with java and successfully sent a test text.
    Where do we get the new java app? Is it part of the new 2.0 update? I'm new to all things android so excuse the silly questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ShooterSF wrote: »

Can it not be used when you are using the data network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

neacy69 wrote: »
    Can it not be used when you are using the data network?
    It can use the data network yes, he was just saying that if you were near a wifi hotspot they would be totally free! :)

hey guys, having being an iphone man for awhile im moved to a hero but am pretty lost with the talk of rooting, flashin etc.

basically im running firmware version 1.5 and build no 2.73.405.38. Am i better off rooting the phone and installin my own updates or am i better off using the offical website to update to 2.73.405.5 which i hear really speeds up the phone..

any tips from people regarding rooting and updating to best rom's is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

squared wrote: »
    Where do we get the new java app? Is it part of the new 2.0 update? I'm new to all things android so excuse the silly questions!!

I got it with the modaco custom rom but you need to have rooted your phone to install it. There are instructions here to install java yourself but theyre not much easier looking than rooting!

hey guys, having being an iphone man for awhile im moved to a hero but am pretty lost with the talk of rooting, flashin etc.

basically im running firmware version 1.5 and build no 2.73.405.38. Am i better off rooting the phone and installin my own updates or am i better off using the offical website to update to 2.73.405.5 which i hear really speeds up the phone..

any tips from people regarding rooting and updating to best rom's is greatly appreciated.

i think you should root and install the modaco 3.1
    you can always update via the official files once they become available, albeit loosing root access.
    updating with the official files might also mean to reflash the SPL though. flashing the SPL is one of the few operations that can brik your phone, so avoid if possible.

appreciate the answers lads, il try the rooting road so.. can any1 post a link to most effective way of rooting as im baffled by some of the stuff on reading on the forums.

I saw online on google, "a one click method to root your hero" but i tink its from hero's on teh sprint networks in teh states? has any1 used this and can confirm its good or suggust a better alternative??

appreciate the answers lads, il try the rooting road so.. can any1 post a link to most effective way of rooting as im baffled by some of the stuff on reading on the forums.

I saw online on google, "a one click method to root your hero" but i tink its from hero's on teh sprint networks in teh states? has any1 used this and can confirm its good or suggust a better alternative??

dont search on google unless you dont find anything on xda.
    to root, have a look at the Hero, Dev section. one of the first threads is how to root.
    there should be a one click root as well.
    all in all its quite simple.
    all you'll need to do is basically overwrite the recovery with AmonRA's 1.5.3 for Hero.
    once thats done, you will be able to put the modaco rom (or any other rom).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Latest 2.1 Release Date Rumour - February 15th (straight from the horses mouth in HTC).
    More info (including features if you don't know them) on that link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Mr E wrote: »
    Latest 2.1 Release Date Rumour - February 15th (straight from the horses mouth in HTC).
    More info (including features if you don't know them) on that link.
    nowhere does it mention bluetooth ftp...

any update on this? im dying without it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement