Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Seemingly HTC are saying Meteor won't be allowing OTA updates, and Metoer are saying they want to but HTC won't be providing them.

Now knowing what OTA means it would be handy but long as you can get it yourself manually no biggy. Is it expected to improve the performance of the Hero much or is it tailored more towards the newer higher spec phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

I think OTA means Over The Air.
    Very Important Question..........Is the default font on the Hero quite small, and is there any way of enlarging? I at present have Nokia N95 8g, and had to purchase Font Magnifier, or else keep switching my glasses to text. etc..

Majorly important, as I was very upet when I got my Nokia, until thank gawd I found the magnifier!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Right, rooted and running Modaco 3.1 now, BUT have come into a problem.

Well, 3 problems, and nothing I can think of will work.

1) Cant Sync with PC now. Plug in USB, sync on phone, and come up with

"Unable to find HTC Sync on your PC. Blah blah blah."

Now I have Sync installed on the PC, so whats going on?

2) Installed the newest radio found Modaco, BUT can't see a radio option in my menu. Do I have to D/L a radio app?

3) Market Enabler. I've D/Led the apk, and transferred it to the root directory on phone, but can't figure out how to run apk.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Right, rooted and running Modaco 3.1 now, BUT have come into a problem.

Well, 3 problems, and nothing I can think of will work.

1) Cant Sync with PC now. Plug in USB, sync on phone, and come up with

"Unable to find HTC Sync on your PC. Blah blah blah."

Now I have Sync installed on the PC, so whats going on?

2) Installed the newest radio found Modaco, BUT can't see a radio option in my menu. Do I have to D/L a radio app?

3) Market Enabler. I've D/Led the apk, and transferred it to the root directory on phone, but can't figure out how to run apk.

Anyone?

1) what version of HTC sync have you installed? there has been a recent update on the HTC website, you might want to check that..

2) the radio you installed has nothing to do with the FM radio you're thinking of. its a portion of the firmware dedicated to the communication functions.

3) you need to install the app. if you have a file manager installed browse where you stored the market enabler and install it. once its installed run it and follow the instructions on screen.

nmesisca wrote: »
    1) what version of HTC sync have you installed? there has been a recent update on the HTC website, you might want to check that..

2) the radio you installed has nothing to do with the FM radio you're thinking of. its a portion of the firmware dedicated to the communication functions.

3) you need to install the app. if you have a file manager installed browse where you stored the market enabler and install it. once its installed run it and follow the instructions on screen.

1) Sync version 2.8, the newest one.

2) That explains that, thanks. :o

3) Sorted, forgot I installed Linda, cheers.

trying to figure out now what I can go and get rid off.

Got shot of the Stocks, might get rid of Music player, have MixZing instead, want to get rid of peep, as I use Seesmic.

• Advertisement

1) Sync version 2.8, the newest one.

2) That explains that, thanks. :o

3) Sorted, forgot I installed Linda, cheers.

trying to figure out now what I can go and get rid off.

Got shot of the Stocks, might get rid of Music player, have MixZing instead, want to get rid of peep, as I use Seesmic.

I think you might be better waiting for someone that has actually used HTC sync on a regular basis.. i only tried it once. admittedly, i have tried it again a couple weeks ago and it wouldnt work for me either.
    Have you checked in your Settings -applications.. that USB debugging is checked?

Actually, come to think about it, I only used it once as well.

But its annoying me that its not working now. If anyone else can think of why it wouldn't be working, please let me know!

Thanks nmesisca.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Actually, come to think about it, I only used it once as well.

But its annoying me that its not working now. If anyone else can think of why it wouldn't be working, please let me know!

Thanks nmesisca.

It was solved 3 pages back the instructions are on post 59 on here, you'll have to read the top part to figure out what he's talking about too

Saw that, but I'm running XP, so I ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jurrrr

Guys, could sombody link me the Android app Market. I wen ton and i wasnt given a download/install option anywhere. I think im using the wrong android market site or somthing because im stumped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

I've my mail set up through the Exchange ActiveSync and am receiving it fine but seem to have a problem sending mail from the phone and get the message "Unable to send mail" a minute or two after having sent it. Anyone got the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

My daughter was messing with my phone last night. When I picked it up the interface was totally different. Seems it is only showing Android icons and is showing the Android button to open the apps list. Looks like it is not loading Sense at all. Restarted it etc but still the same. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

prolly changed the scene, hit menu on the home page and select scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

No its not the scene. Had a custom one made and still using it. There are only 3 screens when you move right/left. With Sense there are 5.
    Actually I cant find any scene settings now.
    Maybe I am wrong in saying Sense is not working? Maybe something to do with touchflo? Or is that the same thing? Seems to be running though, looking at it in "manage applications".

edit: got it fixed. I pressed the home key when at the home screen. It asked to complete action using home or touchflo. I selected touchflow and made that the default action.

Jurrrr wrote: »
    Guys, could sombody link me the Android app Market. I wen ton and i wasnt given a download/install option anywhere. I think im using the wrong android market site or somthing because im stumped!

theres no browsable link for the android market. you can get on it from your device's "market" icon.
    you can browse the apps available from your PC using sites such as androlib.com, though you wont be able to download to your PC.

Apologies if this has already being brought up but there is a hell of a lot of posts to get through!:)

My question is- I set up the meteor WAP on my Hero and it is working fine, not a proble. But then i set up the wifi in my house, it finds it no problem and i can use my apps with the wifi but i cannot browse the internet? I dont understand how or why this is happening, when i turn off the wifi it goes back to normal and works off the meteor WAP no problem. Can anyone shed light on this?

nmesisca wrote: »
    theres no browsable link for the android market. you can get on it from your device's "market" icon.
    you can browse the apps available from your PC using sites such as androlib.com, though you wont be able to download to your PC.

Thank you, had a bit of a blonde moment there!:o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

my alarm stopped going off :/ its just silent now.

any solutions?

my alarm stopped going off :/ its just silent now.

any solutions?

Happened me, I just went into the alarm settings and when the alarm tone was playing I just used the softkeys at the side and turned the volume up full, i think there is a default setting or somthing with the alarms as i have heard of this problem before

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ornir

cpu-dude wrote: »
    HTC Hero are in stock in the Meteor Store on Henry Street, D1 - don't know for how long?

It was nice to see the staff using the phones too, say they are just as delighted to get some decent hardware as an option in the shop. Bought a G1 for €200 euro because these are going for €350 + on eBay, going to enjoy rooting and "sensing" my new phone.

Is that on Prepay or bill do you know? I'll be up in Dublin on Saturday, looking to get a prepay one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

dragona wrote: »
    I think OTA means Over The Air.
    Very Important Question..........Is the default font on the Hero quite small, and is there any way of enlarging? I at present have Nokia N95 8g, and had to purchase Font Magnifier, or else keep switching my glasses to text. etc..

Majorly important, as I was very upet when I got my Nokia, until thank gawd I found the magnifier!

Sorry to bump, but if anyone knows....Meteor shop staff don't have a clue when I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Download Spare Parts, its in the tools section in the market place.(free)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

When are Meteor going to get off their orses and open the Android market for paid apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭28064212

T-Square wrote: »
    When are Meteor going to get off their orses and open the Android market for paid apps?
    As far as I know, it's nothing to do with Meteor, it's up to Google. Although the Irish providers could probably at least put some pressure on them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I can't find the 'amazon mp3' app in android the market place, which according to this article is available in Ireland. Anyone been able to find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not there yet. Looks like Silicon Republic jumped the gun.

Hmmm, noticed my Hero doing some oddness since I changed to the Modaco rom.

It has happened a number of times in the last week that calls either go to voicemail without the phone ringing at all, or it'll ring once, and the cut off and go to voicemail. And everytime, if I ask, the other person says it was ringing for ages.

Tested this the other night. I was on the sofa, with my OH's phone, and rang my phone, making sure I had full coverage. 4 times it went to voicemail, and once it rang normally.

Hmm. I see some other people had this problem, was a solution ever found?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

IH77 wrote: »
    I can't find the 'amazon mp3' app in android the market place, which according to this article is available in Ireland. Anyone been able to find it?
    I think Silicon Republic are mistaken about the availablitiy of the App in Ireland. Irish customers cant purchase MP3 tracks on the Amazon store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Wondering has anyone had trouble rooting their phone, when I put the recovery image in the root folder I should be able to flash recovery image but the option is greyed out, I've written everything correctly etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Is anyone else finding the wifi connection on the Hero a bit flaky? It works perfectly for me at work but not on my home setup. At home it will connect but then drop after 3-5 mins even though the signal strength is still showing as ok.

This issue has been discussed elsewhere online and it seems there is a problem with the Hero and n grade routers but my router is g grade. I've tried changing all the security settings on the router, even turning off all security didn't solve the problem. My other wireless devices have no problem connecting to my home router - a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO.

I'm hoping someone might have a work around. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement