Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

brmccfc wrote: »

Cool, the more choice we have the better it will be for everyone.

Just discovered that the Hero charges fine using a standard mini usb cable (only need the supplied cable for data transfer). Handy if you have loads of cables lying around...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

BigCon wrote: »
    Cool, the more choice we have the better it will be for everyone.

Just discovered that the Hero charges fine using a standard mini usb cable (only need the supplied cable for data transfer). Handy if you have loads me cables lying around...

I use the mini usb from my blackberry for charging, syncing & data transfer for my Hero in the office...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I use the mini usb from my blackberry for charging, syncing & data transfer for my Hero in the office...

Does the blackberry have a standard mini usb cable? I thought data transfer would only work with the supplied cable? If it works with a standard cable why bother with the funny shaped supplied cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Does the blackberry have a standard mini usb cable? I thought data transfer would only work with the supplied cable? If it works with a standard cable why bother with the funny shaped supplied cable?

So you don't plug in your blackberry or tom tom & blow it up... (maybe?)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

Charging with any USB cable is fine(from my experience so far), but it takes approx twice as long as the normal charger. I've charged it off my laptop/desktop and even my PS3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

anyone having their HTC go to voicemail after only 3 or 4 rings? Is this a setting on the phone, or with meteor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

TimAy wrote: »
    anyone having their HTC go to voicemail after only 3 or 4 rings? Is this a setting on the phone, or with meteor?

You have to ring them. Tell them the problem and they will fix it:rolleyes: They did it for me twice don't know why it keeps going back but that and my voicemail being turned on bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

TimAy wrote: »

yup i have it too, been too lazy to make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

because it is Ext-USB cable, a HTC invention. It caries Data + Power (like normal miniUSB) and Voice. You can use standard mini USB cable for sync and charge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So just picked up one. Switching from 3 to meteor so still waiting for the change over.

What should be the first thing I should do?

Meteor gave me the first months data free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mhtc

godtabh wrote: »
    So just picked up one. Switching from 3 to meteor so still waiting for the change over.

What should be the first thing I should do?

Meteor gave me the first months data free

ya i just signed up today too...connect 20 plan.

when i login to meteor, under included with your plan, it says:
    70/200 minutes, 70/200 texts
    and under Bonus, 88.71MB/250MB data

I haven't used the browser and so no data should be used yet. Viewing call and account history confirms this.

Does anyone think meteor made some mistake here?

Get a case for it until your used to holding it. I dropped mine alot for the first few days.
    Link to your gmail account if you have one.
    download an app called wheres my droid. - in case u ever loose it.

Possibly a new memory card?

Download all google apps from Market.

Set up your short cuts.

Thats just the first round.

mhtc wrote: »
    ya i just signed up today too...connect 20 plan.

when i login to meteor, under included with your plan, it says:
    70/200 minutes, 70/200 texts
    and under Bonus, 88.71MB/250MB data

I haven't used the browser and so no data should be used yet. Viewing call and account history confirms this.

Does anyone think meteor made some mistake here?

Your bill is based on the 10th of every month. you are only gonna be charged from now until the 10th of next month. So right now you have the equivalent amount of minutes and texts. Roughly 1/3 remaining i believe. ( 10 days/30 days in a month. ) 70 mins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mhtc

iknorr wrote: »
    Your bill is based on the 10th of every month. you are only gonna be charged from now until the 10th of next month. So right now you have the equivalent amount of minutes and texts. Roughly 1/3 remaining i believe. ( 10 days/30 days in a month. ) 70 mins etc.

Cheers iknorr. got a free €4.99 internet addon too...guess they are applying the same here with the bonus data.

Hmm i got 3 months free data with them, i was only supposed to get one. I think i confused them cos i rang them twice about the data add on. it was originally set up, then i started receiving texts about my free data is almost finished.

Im still not 100% what has happened but i now have 500mb (250 + 250 free) a month for 5 euro. Im sure theyll change it though- waiting on a call from 1905

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Get a case for it until your used to holding it. I dropped mine alot for the first few days.
    Link to your gmail account if you have one.
    download an app called wheres my droid. - in case u ever loose it.

Possibly a new memory card?

Download all google apps from Market.

Set up your short cuts.

Thats just the first round.
    What memory card should you get? Class 6?

Any good cases out there?

Yeah, a class 6 would be better. I have an 8gb class six.
    Do i see a difference in the phone? Yes with media. Quicker loading etc. Is it worth it? entirely depends on yourself. for the sake for 5 euro extra between a class 2 and 6 , then i would go for the class 6. 16gb memory cards are crazy prices the last time i checked,

i got 2 silicon cases from ebay , one black, one white, a car charger, and car dock/holder for 7.xx euro. .
    Alot of the cases there are strange, just make sure they are curved like the chin.

Yeah, a class 6 would be better. I have an 8gb class six.
    Do i see a difference in the phone? Yes with media. Quicker loading etc. Is it worth it? entirely depends on yourself. for the sake for 5 euro extra between a class 2 and 6 , then i would go for the class 6. 16gb memory cards are crazy prices the last time i checked,

i got 2 silicon cases from ebay , one black, one white, a car charger, and car dock/holder for 7.xx euro. .
    Alot of the cases there are strange, just make sure they are curved like the chin.

Any links?

I cant find the bundle on ebay anymore. Heres some picks of the case though, theres loads of them on ebay but note the ones in the pics have an extended bit over the 4 buttons. extra bit of protection.

The charger and holder are the same as these http://cgi.ebay.ie/Car-Charger-Mount-Kit-Holder-for-Tmobile-G2-HTC-G3-Hero_W0QQitemZ350307895713QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneBatteries?hash=item518ffa49a1

If you have a proper look at ebay, especially the HK sellers you can probably find them all in a bundle like i did.

the memory card was bought from memorybits.co.uk

Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 HD Video Memory Card TS8GSDHC6V 1 £17.95 £16.16
    Products Subtotal: £16.16

FREE 2-4 DAYS UK SHIPPING: £0.00

They have changed to zoombits now though. have a look at the bottom half of this page
    http://www.zoombits.co.uk/memory-cards/micro-sd/202#filters

and dont forget the promo code of "15promo"

Any one know the best way to transfer contracts from Nokia E71 to Hero?

I've transferred all contacts to memory card. Can you import from the Hero?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

The easiest way is to sync the E71 contacts with Outlook and use HTC Sync to put them on the Hero.

mooman wrote: »
    The easiest way is to sync the E71 contacts with Outlook and use HTC Sync to put them on the Hero.

Thanks

any idea how to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Thanks

any idea how to do that?

You need to download Nokia PC suite, if you don't already have it. There's a link to download it and how to use it here if you don't. When you finish that, plug the Hero in and pick HTC sync in the notifications bar. When it opens it will guide you through step by step.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi folks, anyone got any info on what offers meteor have for the htc hero?
    Cant sem to get any info from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

I upgraded to the Kagudroid Android 2.1 rom yesterday - http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1979

Finding it very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I love my E71 but am keen to try an android (am big Google user). Looking at the Hero as an option. Because you transferred from E71 to Hero can you tell me how do the two phones compare?

can any one tell me what the compression ration is on the hero for the browser? I have opera mini but its crap. Any one have got browser apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

can any one tell me what the compression ration is on the hero for the browser? I have opera mini but its crap. Any one have got browser apps?
    "Compression ration"?

Dolphin or Steel are two (free) popular browser replacements, although personally I just use the stock browser

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

a regular web page is compressed to view on the screen of the Hero. Opera Mini usually compresses the page to around 35kb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

a regular web page is compressed to view on the screen of the Hero. Opera Mini usually compresses the page to around 35kb
    That's true of Opera Mini, but not of the default browser. The compression is done by the Opera servers

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement