Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Dakeyras wrote: »
    sounds strange, alas I've no magic fix. I just removed and added my exchange again and it worked fine.

what I would try if I was you is looking at a logcat using adb while trying to sync and see if you see anything there.

or try a different ROM to see if that makes a difference, can't do any harm to give it a go!

It seemed strange to me as well, I'll try some more options at the weekend. I only got the phone Wednesday so haven't looked into rooting it, or using any other ROM's.

EDIT: Fixed apparently it requires an SSL cert over the network connection which still makes no sense. Could have sworn I had tried that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Problem with 2007 is with HTC

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/7096-exchange-activesync-htc-hero.html

Seems fine with 2003 but with 2007 there are issues with SSL.

Problem with 2007 is with HTC

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/7096-exchange-activesync-htc-hero.html

Seems fine with 2003 but with 2007 there are issues with SSL.

Without reading it all, that would seem to make sense with what I edited my post with above.

Just wonder now if I go home will it work over WIFI with the SSL on.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

just checked and i'm on exchange 2007 too, peculiar. maybe it's to do with your exchange server settings?

hard to tell. If you do the logcat thing you might learn more. no rooting required for that, just turn on debugging.

Just some info regarding the authentication password from exchange server, 2.x roms enforce the password requirement. I had to input a password to connect to exchange on 2.x (you have to input it to unlock your screen. yup, ever time) but I could still connect using 1.5 with no password.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Definitely no issues with SSL or 2007. I set it up with a self signed SAN cert on our server and it connects no problem. Used default secure port, 443.

• Advertisement

I actually think it was a problem on the exchange side. I think they messing around with the certs while I was trying to set it up, because when I got home me ipod was showing messages about accepting certs.

Cheers for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,212 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

got a small issue with my hero - maybe someone on here can help.

I'm getting a transparent grey box being displayed over my screens. the letter 'g' is being displayed in it. No matter which screen I swipe to, the box and 'g' are still displayed. It does disappear after a few seconds. However, if the phone goes into standby, the box and 'g' will be displayed again.

Any ideas what setting I may have accidently changed to have made this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Just discovered a program to tether the phone... works great & will be very handy for the odd hotel stay etc...

its called pda net

Does it add anything over the built in usb tethering?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi folks,just got my new Hero yesterday and loving it.
    Ive a few questions if i may,on the official site they have suggestions to conserve battery power ,one of which is
    "Use the AC adapter to plug your device into an external power outlet whenever possible. "

http://www.htc.com/ca/support/hero-telus/help/power-and-battery

Anyone actually do this?
    I was under the illusion you just charge the ophone after the battery power was depleted or just before.
    Is it ok to use the mains when ever one can regardless of how much power remains in the battery?

Also while trying to get opera mini i was greeted with the message that the htc hero does not support java therefore cannot be used on the hero.
    Is this the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Ive a few questions if i may,on the official site they have suggestions to conserve battery power ,one of which is
    "Use the AC adapter to plug your device into an external power outlet whenever possible. "

Anyone actually do this?
    I was under the illusion you just charge the ophone after the battery power was depleted or just before.
    Is it ok to use the mains when ever one can regardless of how much power remains in the battery?

Also while trying to get opera mini i was greeted with the message that the htc hero does not support java therefore cannot be used on the hero.
    Is this the case?
    Opera is available, through the market. It's not native yet so not very easy to use. Dolphin browser is a decent alternative, as it adds functionality to the android browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Anyone actually do this?
    Yes, it's ok to plug it in whenever. It's actually better for the life of the battery then doing full discharges all the time. The opposite was true a few years ago when nickel batteries were being used, but now they've switched to lithium batteries, it's better to keep it topped up. And you can't overcharge, so it doesn't matter how long you leave it in

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Anyone wanna share their hero layout ? Mine is still pretty close to the original, looking for inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I remember it was raised way back in the thread, but I don't know if anyone is still haivng a problem with the Hero going to voicemail really quickly after it starts ringing and them not having time to answer it, but I seemed to fix it by typing the following;

*61*A*B# and press call

Where A should be replaced by your mailbox number, which is your regular phone number but with a 5 added in directly after the 087/086/085, and B should be replaced by a multiple of 5 from 0-30 depending on how long you want the phone to ring for before going to voicemail

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hanleyco

I lost my hero on saturday night : ( was wondering if someone puts in a new sim will they have access to my mail/facebook/google contacts? I had it synced with loads of stuff so this could be a security nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

hanleyco wrote: »
    I lost my hero on saturday night : ( was wondering if someone puts in a new sim will they have access to my mail/facebook/google contacts? I had it synced with loads of stuff so this could be a security nightmare!

If you don't have any of the security features enabled, yes. Time to change passwords I think.

A word to the wise, get wave secure from the market. It'll allow you to track your phone via gps, lock it down remotely and wipe data remotely. Pintail is also worthwhile, it allows you to send an sea from another phone and gives a position in Google maps...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hanleyco

Bluefoam wrote: »
    A word to the wise, get wave secure from the market. It'll allow you to track your phone via gps, lock it down remotely and wipe data remotely. Pintail is also worthwhile, it allows you to send an sea from another phone and gives a position in Google maps...

I had wavesecure, but the I reckon the battery died that night, so a pin code would be needed to activate wavesecure functions, making it useless. Im changing all passwords now. probably going to upgrade to the bravo, so not all bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Any news about the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

T-Square wrote: »
    Any news about the update?

my dutch is not that great but i think i could understand from a twitter update that its been officially said to come out in march

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

abelard wrote: »
    I remember it was raised way back in the thread, but I don't know if anyone is still haivng a problem with the Hero going to voicemail really quickly after it starts ringing and them not having time to answer it, but I seemed to fix it by typing the following;

*61*A*B# and press call

Where A should be replaced by your mailbox number, which is your regular phone number but with a 5 added in directly after the 087/086/085, and B should be replaced by a multiple of 5 from 0-30 depending on how long you want the phone to ring for before going to voicemail

Im having this issue but when i try enter code it says "connection problem or invalid MMI code"
    Any ideas folks?

EDIT:

Actually i just got it sorted eventually 2 mins after posting this,was at it for ages :)
    I used the following method.

Key in **61*xxxxxxxxx*11*nn# followed by the call/send button and it should update the delay.

xx is voice mail number so 08*5*******

nn is time and can be up to 30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Im having this issue but when i try enter code it says "connection problem or invalid MMI code"

Any ideas folks?
    If you're on O2 Speakeasy, then they bar you from disabling / altering voicemail settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Anyone been able to get the new Google Maps for Mobile 4.0 for Hero? This is the new one with the Google Buzz layer.

plazzTT wrote: »
    Anyone been able to get the new Google Maps for Mobile 4.0 for Hero? This is the new one with the Google Buzz layer.

it will probably come with 2.1.... when?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

not sure if this was out before now

Android 2.1 out mid-march

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/09/htc-hero-update-to-android-2-1-pegged-for-mid-march/

k

i'm only on page 107 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Any ideas folks?

EDIT:

Actually i just got it sorted eventually 2 mins after posting this,was at it for ages :)
    I used the following method.

Key in **61*xxxxxxxxx*11*nn# followed by the call/send button and it should update the delay.

xx is voice mail number so 08*5*******

nn is time and can be up to 30

APologies, forgot to type in the '11' in the code, thanks for clearing it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Hey guys
    Been looking around for a new phone for the last while and I really like the look of the Hero. I'm out of contract now with my previous phone provider so was thinking of signing up to Meteor billpay and getting it cheap. One thing I've heard is that Meteor dont have any 3G service. However, I'd really only be using the phone for some light browsing (bbc, rte, facebook etc) and to get some apps. With that in mind, will the no 3G from Meteor really effect me at all (I wouldn't of thought so as I'm not going to be a heavy user?)?

Cheers.

See their coverage map here:
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/coverage/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Yep. Have it on my Hero which is now running 2.1.
    plazzTT wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Which one did you install, elderlemon? Any feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

CyanogenMod for HTC Hero (GSM). see http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/301857/cyanogenmod-for-htc-hero-gsm-v1-0-now-with-online-kitchen/

Its now stopped development but on XDA there's another villian (sp?) version 3.0 coming out at the weekend which looks good.

The version I have has a couple of bugs (facebook linking etc) but one thing that does work is bluetooth transfer to another phone/pc. All in all I like it better than senseUI. 2.1 is greatly improved in terms of the UI integration which is what made senseUI better originally.

Mr E wrote: »
    Which one did you install, elderlemon? Any feedback?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement