Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

Hiya folks,

Great tips and tricks in this thread.

I've just had my UK Orange Hero unlocked and it is working grand with my Irish 3 SIM. However does anyone have the settings for the internet/3G on Three.ie. I tried the search function and found the settings for Meteor/O2 et al but none for three.

All help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Vaioer wrote: »
    Hiya folks,

Great tips and tricks in this thread.

I've just had my UK Orange Hero unlocked and it is working grand with my Irish 3 SIM. However does anyone have the settings for the internet/3G on Three.ie. I tried the search function and found the settings for Meteor/O2 et al but none for three.

All help appreciated.
    Same as the G1
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58351749#post58351749

• Registered Users Posts: 45,386 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

can anyone help me get this phone syncing with my PC? (Windows 7)

I have read there are issues, but i think i have done everything required to fix them.

I have followed the instructions on here: http://www.androidforums.com/htc-hero/7188-help-htc-sync.html

I have since installed HTC Sync without errors; previoulsy i was getting errors regarding driver folders not being found.

When I connect the phone to the PC, I can mount it as USB storage without problems, but if I select HTC Sync instead, the phone starts to search for HTC Sync on my PC. However, despite HTC Sync being active on my PC, and I can see it on the screen, my phone just doesn't find it.

I have installed HTC Sync 2.0.4, 2.0.18 (downloaded from the net) and I think it is currently 2.0.2 (installed form the SD Card that came with the phone) but none of them will connect properly. My PC has also been restarted a load of times, but it makes no difference.

Has anyone had similar problems and got through it? Really annoying me at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

can anyone help me get this phone syncing with my PC? (Windows 7)

I have read there are issues, but i think i have done everything required to fix them.

I have followed the instructions on here: http://www.androidforums.com/htc-hero/7188-help-htc-sync.html

I have since installed HTC Sync without errors; previoulsy i was getting errors regarding driver folders not being found.

When I connect the phone to the PC, I can mount it as USB storage without problems, but if I select HTC Sync instead, the phone starts to search for HTC Sync on my PC. However, despite HTC Sync being active on my PC, and I can see it on the screen, my phone just doesn't find it.

I have installed HTC Sync 2.0.4, 2.0.18 (downloaded from the net) and I think it is currently 2.0.2 (installed form the SD Card that came with the phone) but none of them will connect properly. My PC has also been restarted a load of times, but it makes no difference.

Has anyone had similar problems and got through it? Really annoying me at this point...

Just fixed the same problem myself! look at post 59 on this page it worked for me anyway. This is the link to the files he's talking about

mooman wrote: »
    Just fixed the same problem myself! look at post 59 on this page it worked for me anyway. This is the link to the files he's talking about

AAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH. Still won't freaking work. Presume it is cause those are 32bit files, and i've a 64bit pc.

Tried using some different files, and renaming them to match the sys32 files, and it is now working. Cheers for getting me going in the right direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Hey, just downloaded photos from touch down email and cant seem to be able to find them, have looked in albums and quick to office, any idea?

AAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH. Still won't freaking work. Presume it is cause those are 32bit files, and i've a 64bit pc.

Tried using some different files, and renaming them to match the sys32 files, and it is now working. Cheers for getting me going in the right direction

The 64 bit files are here if you still need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

I've downloaded the 'A Online Radio' app but it doesn't have any Irish stations. I have tried adding NewsTalk and Phantom but no joy. Does anybody have a workaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I currently have a google managed domain setup for IMAP in the HTC mail program, but it only checks for mail every 15 minutes (or whatever I define), but i'd like it to work like a true IMAP box, so the mail will 'push' to my phone as soon as it comes in - is this possible?

Also - anyone know if its possible to change the notification tone for the HTC mail program? I'd like to differentiate between the tone for regular gmail/sms notifications and the HTC mail program if possible! I've had a look in settings and can't find anything...

I know I could use the gmail app for this.. but I have a different account setup in that already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

MrMan wrote: »
    I've downloaded the 'A Online Radio' app but it doesn't have any Irish stations. I have tried adding NewsTalk and Phantom but no joy. Does anybody have a workaround?
    I know Tunewiki has Shoutcast on it. I use it for TodayFM. Not sure what other stations are on it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

I know Tunewiki has Shoutcast on it. I use it for TodayFM. Not sure what other stations are on it though

Thanks for that. Both Phantom and NewsTalk are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hey guys.

Right, I've decided to root it. However, I've come up against a lot of different information.

If I post my build version and the like, could someone point me to a instruction guide to rooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Hey guys.

Right, I've decided to root it. However, I've come up against a lot of different information.

If I post my build version and the like, could someone point me to a instruction guide to rooting?

no matter what version, the instructions are in one of the first sticky threads on xda, in the Hero Dev. section.
    Or on Modaco.com, in the Hero Dev. section too.
    They are very straight forward..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Is there an option to blacklist certain numbers or bar calls from certain numbers on the hero ? Been getting some random calls from an african number...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got rid of my Hero today, most over-rated phone in the last 6 months maybe even of 2009!! Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

It is a good phone, it has a few issues, but it is a good phone,
    all phones have a few issues, the trick is to build a bridge and get over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

I gave it time. You have to admit the whole Android OS is over rated at the moment. Slow phone, buggy firmware, way below par camera, basic bluetooth capabilities. Great smart phone....I'm alright cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

rizzee wrote: »
    I gave it time. You have to admit the whole Android OS is over rated at the moment. Slow phone, buggy firmware, way below par camera, basic bluetooth capabilities. Great smart phone....I'm alright cheers.
    Fastest phone I've ever used, no problems with fw here, camera is good in daylight, lack of flash does render it useless at night though, Bluetooth file transfer is supported in android 2.1.
    I think some people miss the point when it comes to this phone. If you're looking for an all singing all dancing phone straight out of the box then maybe you should consider a different phone. If you want a phone that you can customise in almost limitless ways then consider the hero. It's not for everyone, but I can easily say its the best phone I've ever had (coming from Nokia and SE).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

nmesisca wrote: »
    no matter what version, the instructions are in one of the first sticky threads on xda, in the Hero Dev. section.
    Or on Modaco.com, in the Hero Dev. section too.
    They are very straight forward..

Cheers. There were some conflicting posts, about needing to downgrade if you were on build version 2.73.xx

rizzee wrote: »
    Got rid of my Hero today, most over-rated phone in the last 6 months maybe even of 2009!! Good riddance.

to each his own, mate..
    just curious.. what did you get to replace your hero?

• Advertisement

BigCon wrote: »
    Fastest phone I've ever used, no problems with fw here, camera is good in daylight, lack of flash does render it useless at night though, Bluetooth file transfer is supported in android 2.1.
    I think some people miss the point when it comes to this phone. If you're looking for an all singing all dancing phone straight out of the box then maybe you should consider a different phone. If you want a phone that you can customise in almost limitless ways then consider the hero. It's not for everyone, but I can easily say its the best phone I've ever had (coming from Nokia and SE).

I second that, this phone is a massive improvement on my iPhone.
    Android 2.1 is out in a couple of weeks you should have given that a chance imo.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Today my phone decided that the internet wouldn't work. I'm in the middle of galway city, so I should be on a 3g network, but thr 3g symbol doesnt show up beside my signal strength.mobile internet is turned on, and if I say to use 2g network only, my internet works.

WTF?

Ive tried restarting, turning internet on and off, but no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

HTC Hero are in stock in the Meteor Store on Henry Street, D1 - don't know for how long?

It was nice to see the staff using the phones too, say they are just as delighted to get some decent hardware as an option in the shop. Bought a G1 for €200 euro because these are going for €350 + on eBay, going to enjoy rooting and "sensing" my new phone.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    HTC Hero are in stock in the Meteor Store on Henry Street, D1 - don't know for how long?

It was nice to see the staff using the phones too, say they are just as delighted to get some decent hardware as an option in the shop. Bought a G1 for €200 euro because these are going for €350 + on eBay, going to enjoy rooting and "sensing" my new phone.

:P this sounds really wrong man! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Today my phone decided that the internet wouldn't work. I'm in the middle of galway city, so I should be on a 3g network, but thr 3g symbol doesnt show up beside my signal strength.mobile internet is turned on, and if I say to use 2g network only, my internet works.

WTF?

Ive tried restarting, turning internet on and off, but no joy.

I got this problem a lot. And if you go through this thread, it seems to be a big problem, something to do with how the meteor network and the phone interact when switching between 3g and 2g. I'm also in Galway city and I find there are quite a few deadspots for 3g around the place where the phone was more likely to disconnect from the network.

The thing I found that helped the most was turning off the pin code. For some reason this seems to reduce the amount of times the phone kicks itself off 3g. I still get the occasional getting kicked off the network but its down from several times a day to only once since I turned the code off.

If you're worried about security, you can set a touch pattern to unlock the phone and/or use an app like wavesecure.

It's odd that restarting and turning the internet on and off didn't work. I found the quickest way to reconnect the phone to the network was to turn on airplane mode and then turn it off again. You can do it by long pressing the power button, but I ended up putting the airplane mode toggle switch on to my homepage because it was happening so often.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cheers, ill try that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is there an option to blacklist certain numbers or bar calls from certain numbers on the hero ? Been getting some random calls from an african number...
    I think if you save the number in your contacts, you can chose an option within 'edit contact' to bar the number.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I think if you save the number in your contacts, you can chose an option within 'edit contact' to bar the number.

yeah if you edit the contact you can set a different ringtone for it, or send straight to voicemail..

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

mooman wrote: »

Android 2.1 is out in a couple of weeks you should have given that a chance imo.

I've the Hero on Meteor, will they just send out the 2.1 update to my phone or does one have to find and download the update themselves?

• Advertisement

flugel wrote: »
    I've the Hero on Meteor, will they just send out the 2.1 update to my phone or does one have to find and download the update themselves?

you will be able to download it and do it yourself when HTC make it available.

Seemingly HTC are saying Meteor won't be allowing OTA updates, and Metoer are saying they want to but HTC won't be providing them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement