Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    nowhere does it mention bluetooth ftp...

any update on this? im dying without it.
    Bluetooth FTP came in with Android 2.0 so itll be in the next Hero update

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Let's hope they sort out Exchange support....

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Hey Heros, got mine a week ago and love it. Enjoy showing it off to the iphone people and telling them it's way better (probably not, but it's close!).

Anyway, I do have a problem but most likely with the Meteor. I'm getting the message SIM "No Service" this morning on the phone. Any ideas why and what will fix it? Do i need to get onto Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Let's hope they sort out Exchange support....

What sort of problems are you having with Exchange support.

Mine is working perfectly with Exchange 2003 (Self Signed Cert)

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Hey all.

Complete newbie in all of this, so wondering if I could ask a few questions.

I'm getting a HTC hero soon, and since I'm a heavy texter the best plan I could find was 3's Best of both with free texts to all networks, and then a €9.99 add-on for 1Gb internet.
    (if anyone knows of a better one let me know, not that keen on voice, mostly text and data)

Anyone has any bad experiences running the Hero on 3?
    Also, are the skype apps for the Hero compatible with 3's "use skype for free"?

Thanks for any answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I presume you are living sim free, meteor are the only carrier with the hero here.
    Hey all.

Complete newbie in all of this, so wondering if I could ask a few questions.

I'm getting a HTC hero soon, and since I'm a heavy texter the best plan I could find was 3's Best of both with free texts to all networks, and then a €9.99 add-on for 1Gb internet.
    (if anyone knows of a better one let me know, not that keen on voice, mostly text and data)

Anyone has any bad experiences running the Hero on 3?
    Also, are the skype apps for the Hero compatible with 3's "use skype for free"?

Thanks for any answers!

What sort of problems are you having with Exchange support.

Mine is working perfectly with Exchange 2003 (Self Signed Cert)

Shane

I detailed it a few pages ago. If the server requires the phone to implement a PIN for security Android can't handle it. Known issue with no apparent workaround.

I'm getting the message SIM "No Service" this morning on the phone. Any ideas why and what will fix it? Do i need to get onto Meteor?

I'm getting this the last few days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I presume you are living sim free, meteor are the only carrier with the hero here.

Yeah, that wouldbe the plan, get an unlocked Hero, as 3 have such a lousy phone selection, but really good rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

hey,

does anyone know the O2 prepay mms settings for the hero? I am able to recieve mms messages but cant send them. I have tried adding an apn for the internet and a separate one for mms messages but it doesnt seem to work.

I have the following setup for the APN

Name: o2 MMS
    APN: wap.dol.ie
    Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 02
    APN type: mms

Name: o2 Internet
    APN: internet
    Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 02
    APN type: <not set>

any ideas? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm getting this the last few days too.

only real workaround that I have found is to turn the 3G access off. that has stopped my phone from losing service.

If you are on Meteor, they claim on the meteor forum that if you hand the phone in to them, they will update the ROM on the phone (can't be done yourself via the HTC website) to their latest approved version and apparently that fixes the issue.

If you are not on Meteor, or have gone the rooting route, I dunno what else you can try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

only real workaround that I have found is to turn the 3G access off. that has stopped my phone from losing service.

If you are on Meteor, they claim on the meteor forum that if you hand the phone in to them, they will update the ROM on the phone (can't be done yourself via the HTC website) to their latest approved version and apparently that fixes the issue.

If you are not on Meteor, or have gone the rooting route, I dunno what else you can try.

I don't know if I saw it here or some other forum, but someone suggested to turn the pin code lock off. I know it is not the best solution, nor the safest, but I didn't have any "No service" message in three days (since I did turn the pin code off). It doesn't mean it fixed the issue, but I think phone is logging to the network automatically.

If anyone else can try this and see if it is really working or I was just lucky for the last couple of days.

It's weird. I have the phone 2 weeks or so but am only getting the 'no service' issue since this weekend?!

Note this is separate from another issue I have - the phone asking for the PIN code. This happens repeatedly, especially after using Taskiller. The first issue requires the phone to be switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

It's weird. I have the phone 2 weeks or so but am only getting the 'no service' issue since this weekend?!

Note this is separate from another issue I have - the phone asking for the PIN code. This happens repeatedly, especially after using Taskiller. The first issue requires the phone to be switched off.

have you excluded the google apps from the the task killer?
    if you terminate google partner setup and others the phone will go progressively ... nuts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

hey guys,

like thehamo afew posts ago, i cant send or receive mms on my unlocked hero. im contract o2

if search the forums and like many other people the settings posted dont work and i cant gett my mms sorted..

can any1 please enlight me wat settings to use to get this. my internet is working great but no mms.

please help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The Meteor issue seems to be something to do with the phone handing over from Meteor 3G to Meteor 2G.

It happens to me when the phone is built-up areas with excellent 3G coverage e.g. Cork.

When you go into a building it drops to 2G and fails to connect, then gets confused.

Most likely some quirk of the Meteor network and some quirk of the HTC software bashing into each other.

nmesisca wrote: »
    if you terminate google partner setup and others the phone will go progressively ... nuts..

What google apps? Just the mail? I've been killing everything!!

What google apps? Just the mail? I've been killing everything!!

no wonder then!
    whatever you kill will be... killed. including home widgets (weather etc). they will not disappear from the screen, only they will (most likely) fail to update when they should.
    only terminate what you're sure of. Google Partner setup is an example, and should definitely NOT be terminated.
    For example, if you terminate messaging, you might not receive sms. if you terminate mail you wont be notified of incoming mails.

Actually.. in theory there is no reason to terminate anything since android does it itself when its low on resources. in some cases it might be necessary, but if you're on the modaco rom I wouldnt bother.

Solair wrote: »
    The Meteor issue seems to be something to do with the phone handing over from Meteor 3G to Meteor 2G.

It happens to me when the phone is built-up areas with excellent 3G coverage e.g. Cork.

When you go into a building it drops to 2G and fails to connect, then gets confused.

Most likely some quirk of the Meteor network and some quirk of the HTC software bashing into each other.

would be interesting to see if this happens only on stock rom or also with the modaco rom.. not sure if anyone has reported this already and I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

How come this sim issue doesnt effect all Meteors Heros?

When did u buy ur phone? Recently or was it one of the first batch of 200 or so meteor got into the country?

mine was one of the first batch, i got it the day before it was officially released and had never had trouble with sim issues, the only thing was changing the mms settings from "mms" to default.

• Advertisement

I bought mine just last week. Happened twice so far in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

maybe they fiddled with them. Most Networks get them branded etc, but the hero doesnt seem to have any except a sim lock. Oh...i think mine is not sim locked actually....

Does anyone have a unlocked version and have this sim issue?

It's not on the list so I presume it's automatically ignored. I do kill Google mail and Footprints (is that HTC?).

It's not on the list so I presume it's automatically ignored. I do kill Google mail and Footprints (is that HTC?).

nothing is automatically ignored.
    if you havent set any exclusion manually, you'll terminate everything.

if you kill Google Mail you most likely wont get notified of new emails in your gmail account.
    Footprints should be ok to be terminated.

as a test, why dont you just forget about task killer for a couple of days and see how that turns out?

True. The app killer doesn't offer any of what seem like system apps.

I assume killing apps saves battery? Also, with the phone automatically updating apps, what amount of their data limit do people generally use?

nothing is automatically ignored.
    if you havent set any exclusion manually, you'll terminate everything.

if you kill Google Mail you most likely wont get notified of new emails in your gmail account.
    Footprints should be ok to be terminated.

as a test, why dont you just forget about task killer for a couple of days and see how that turns out?

I have never seen Google Partner offered as an option to kill. Or any other Google app bar the Mail.

True. The app killer doesn't offer any of what seem like system apps.

I assume killing apps saves battery? Also, with the phone automatically updating apps, what amount of their data limit do people generally use?

... or it may not be in execution (or paused) at that particular moment, which means if you dont specifically exclude it, you'll terminate it.

i suggest reboot the hero and check the list again.

... or it may not be in execution (or paused) at that particular moment, which means if you dont specifically exclude it, you'll terminate it.

i suggest reboot the hero and check the list again.

Will do. Haven't got the damn SIM code to hand though.

Will do. Haven't got the damn SIM code to hand though.

if you want get the list items and post them here or pm them to me I will tell you which you shouldnt touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Anyone know if there is HTC Hero's in stock on Pre-pay with Meteor?

I asked one of the sales guys in my local meteor and he said there are no Hero's on pre-pay in stock anywhere...only on Bill-Pay

I reckon he is just tryna get me to sign onto a contract!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement