Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I went to Meteor Blanchstown and after waiting 2 hours (did shopping, bite to eat) they were still unable to get my details into the system.
    What a swizz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The Hero still isn't listed on Meteor's online store!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cwjcwjcwj

Must be delayed again. See if we can get it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

besty wrote: »
    The Hero still isn't listed on Meteor's online store!?

Aye, trying to figure out how much it costs on all the various plans and all that, and it's very frustrating :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

abelard wrote: »
    Aye, trying to figure out how much it costs on all the various plans and all that, and it's very frustrating :/

159.99 on Connect 20/25

129.99 on Connect 45/50/60/65/Surf/Max.

You get 30e off that if you port. You can get another 30e off if you're trading in either a Nokia, Sony, Samsung or LG phone that has a camera, charger and is working and in decent condition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hope i can ask this in here

will be getting a hero this week but want to keep my old nokia -and moving to meteor.

can I turn off my hero & transfer the sim to my old nokia (to go m-biking) - or can I get a spare sim to use (turn off hero -then turn on nokia)

just not sure.

the white hero is not that bad actually - a black one would be cool.

k

You'll have to transfer the sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

chrislad wrote: »
    159.99 on Connect 20/25

You get 30e off that if you port. You can get another 30e off if you're trading in either a Nokia, Sony, Samsung or LG phone that has a camera, charger and is working and in decent condition.

Oh.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

159.99 on Connect 20/25

I ported to meteor recently(bill pay lite)..so I won't be able to get the 30 discount you mentioned for people porting over...

Can I port back to 3 (3pay) and port back immediatly to avail of this 30 euro discount?

Why do current meteor customers have to pay more than new customers? This pisses me off, a lot.:mad:

No, you wouldn't get the porting discount. To be honest, it wouldn't be worth your while porting to 3, unless you plan to wait for a month. You pay your bill in advance and you are required to give 30 days notice to cancel BP Lite. If you just port, you'll have just wasted 30 days of payment (30e in this case) to get a 30e discount. If you waited for 30 days to let Meteor transfer you back to PayG, you could then port to 3 and back to Meteor Bill Pay but that's just a bit of a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Top man Chris, thanks for all your info :) Would you say there would be much stock left during the week in Meteor Blanchardstown? (i'll ring htem tomo anyway) and just incase there isn't you wouldn't happen to know the next time theres a delivery due for Heros?

rizzee wrote: »
    Top man Chris, thanks for all your info :) Would you say there would be much stock left during the week in Meteor Blanchardstown? (i'll ring htem tomo anyway) and just incase there isn't you wouldn't happen to know the next time theres a delivery due for Heros?

I don't know that level of stock they received/sold or are due to get unfortunately. I've no idea when the next bit of stock will arrive. Blanch is one of the busier stores so I suspect they would have gotten one of the larger allocations.

If I were you, I'd ring them and get into them as soon as possible to ensure you'll get one. I picked mine up today. Used my future father in laws upgrade and I bought him a Nokia 6303 to make up for it so everyone won!

Anyone find a decent TV Guide? Have TV Plus on my iPhone and I'd love something similar for this.

No, you wouldn't get the porting discount. To be honest, it wouldn't be worth your while porting to 3, unless you plan to wait for a month. You pay your bill in advance and you are required to give 30 days notice to cancel BP Lite. If you just port, you'll have just wasted 30 days of payment (30e in this case) to get a 30e discount. If you waited for 30 days to let Meteor transfer you back to PayG, you could then port to 3 and back to Meteor Bill Pay but that's just a bit of a pain.

Grand, I'm in no rush to get it.. So all I have to do is give my 30 days notice, then port to 3 and port back immediatly?

Why do meteor make their current customers pay more ?? I don't get it..

It's not that im desperate to save 30 quid, it's the principle .. Why should I pay more just because I'm a current customer? If anything, I think I should pay less, given that I'm a current customer..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

There's an app in the market place aptly called TV-Guide UK. No Irish listings but aside from that its not too bad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dingatron wrote: »
    There's an app in the market place aptly called TV-Guide UK. No Irish listings but aside from that its not too bad.

well it IS a UK guide, so its kinda... obvious that Irish channels wouldnt be listed on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

What does it feel like in the pocket? Is it as ''smooth'' as other phones going in - ie - you wouldn't notice d chin sticking out of your pocket?

The chin is great. Don't even notice it really, but I know I like it. Haven't really used the trackball though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Grand, I'm in no rush to get it.. So all I have to do is give my 30 days notice, then port to 3 and port back immediatly?

Why do meteor make their current customers pay more ?? I don't get it..

It's not that im desperate to save 30 quid, it's the principle .. Why should I pay more just because I'm a current customer? If anything, I think I should pay less, given that I'm a current customer..

Thanks

You will get the 30 quid discount if you're trading in an old phone like previously stated

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

well it IS a UK guide, so its kinda... obvious that Irish channels wouldnt be listed on it :rolleyes:
    Dunno what the rolleyes is about. NI is in the UK, and they receive the ROI channels (offair, Sky and cable), so the channels could be added for NI people. A lot of other "UK" guides have the ROI channel listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Held some of the dummy phones in a few shops in London at the weekend (couldn't find any white ones, seemed to be only black & graphite).

It's smaller than I would have thought, and I barely noticed the chin. Makes it fit more snug in my hand if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

The chin is a almost a good thing.
    With the screen facing in it actually fits quite snugly to the leg.

Found that tv app too. Quite handy.

Not too many Irish apps, one dart app and a dart and DAFT layer Layar. My Dublin bus and bikes apps use the built in gps so work like native apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

rizzee wrote: »
    What does it feel like in the pocket? Is it as ''smooth'' as other phones going in - ie - you wouldn't notice d chin sticking out of your pocket?

Got mine over the weekend from Meteor. Was wearing a pair of jeans (slim fit) and its nice and snug in the pocket. Feels better than my old Nokia N73 did!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

how are you guys finding texting/emailing on the hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Both work well.... text messages are displayed in threaded conversations (so you see all messages to and from a contact in the main view). You can also look at an 'old fashioned' chronological list if you want.

I don't use HTC mail, but the Gmail client is very good. I recently found out that if you go to http://m.gmail.com in your browser, you get a much more feature-rich gmail experience.

Slipshaney wrote: »
    how are you guys finding texting/emailing on the hero?

I must say I thought I was going to struggle as this is my first touch screen device, however, simply flicking the phone into "landscape" and typing with both thumbs is as easy as pie!
    Holding the phone like this is easy too as the chin provides a good bit of support in your hand.

Loving it! :D

Mr E wrote: »
    I recently found out that if you go to http://m.gmail.com in your browser, you get a much more feature-rich gmail experience.

Thanks I'll check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Is there any chance someone could post a few example camera shots here? I have the samsung galaxy, but am starting to be jealous of the senseUI on the hero! However the galaxy's camera is excellent (close to my n95), and im just wondering what the hero's looks like with no flash, as ultimately the camera is what ill decide to switch phones on or not (I use it a lot).

Specifically if anyone could post indoor/low light photos and/or of people/animals that aren't 100% stationary like a table!

Much appreciated if someone can do so, no worries if not!

metalfest wrote: »
    You will get the 30 quid discount if you're trading in an old phone like previously stated

yes I know that...but If I was porting and trading in an old phone I'd get 60 discount.

Anyway, my old phone will be an iPhone 3gs, dont think I'll be trading it in for 30 quid!

The point I was making was why do Meteor charge their current customers 30 euro more for the same phone? After all, they wouldn't be where they are if it was not for the customers that stay with them...

I'm surprised more Meteor customers don't have a big issue with this..they must be happy enough to be fleeced...

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

sounds good so far lads - just about to put order into expansys as I spoke to meteor and they said they are unsure whether or not the phone is coming out as PAYG

Did anyone get theirs from expansys? what type of delivery time are we talking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Is there any chance someone could post a few example camera shots here?

Tbh - I havnt found the camera great. It has no flash so is rubbish at night, and seems to take a while to actually take the shot when you click to take a shot.

If you get a decent photo though, the quality is ok, not super but not rubbish.

Ive resized the attached image below to 800x600.

Got mine from expansys - took 2/3 days I think. I remember it was quicker than expected anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement