Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

metalfest wrote: »
    do they have the android yet ?

Dundrum are getting them Thursday, but there is a large waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

No,

First delivery went to Meteor. Second delivery due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

has anyone here already on Meteor and who hadnt got an upgrade due got this so far and if so how much does it cost in that case. hope thats clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

So, there's no front camera for video calling on this phone? Seems a massive oversight on HTC's part...

Although I never use video calling I do like to use the front camera on my N95 to check out my awesome hair! :D
    Just download the Mirror app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

rizzee wrote: »
    Metalfest, you gonna go for the Hero then? :D

i'd say so :D
    thinking about waiting to see if 3g do a better deal on them though,
    but that is roughly 7 days longer to wait :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Whats the story with the android market place? Do the folks with meteor Heros have access to paid apps? I have a non branded Hero and I was hoping that once a network carried an android device that the paid apps would be unlocked for Ireland, but so far nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just download the Mirror app.

Explain more please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Whats the story with the android market place? Do the folks with meteor Heros have access to paid apps? I have a non branded Hero and I was hoping that once a network carried an android device that the paid apps would be unlocked for Ireland, but so far nothing..

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

chrislad wrote: »
    159.99 on Connect 20/25

129.99 on Connect 45/50/60/65/Surf/Max.

You get 30e off that if you port. You can get another 30e off if you're trading in either a Nokia, Sony, Samsung or LG phone that has a camera, charger and is working and in decent condition.

Read back if you're looking for prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

Browsing the Android Market, I see no paid apps. Very disappointing. I was really hoping to avoid having to root my phone (on account of having no clue how to actually do it) but it looks like I'm gonna have to start googling.

(Is it "googling" or "googleing" or "google-ing"?)

• Advertisement

I'm trying to get an answer on this and will let ye know when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,926 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks

what is the best current rom

and also are people using any kind of case or screen protector?

are they needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Dingatron wrote: »

thank you was just on modaco looking at the rom :)

what about case or screen protector or does it need them? im easy on my phones anyway never put them in a pocket with coins, keys etc

I got one of the clear gel cases from e-bay and very happy with it. Don't even notice it tbh and offers good protection for the phone and it was a whole $4 if that.

Also got the Zagg shield for the screen but wouldn't recommend it.

Was looking at the Modaco rom but I think I'll wait until 2.0 is released this month.

I got one of the clear gel cases from e-bay and very happy with it. Don't even notice it tbh and offers good protection for the phone and it was a whole $4 if that.

Also got the Zagg shield for the screen but wouldn't recommend it.

any need for a screen protector? gonna get a gel case alright, they are cheap as chips and do the job :)

chrislad wrote: »
    Was looking at the Modaco rom but I think I'll wait until 2.0 is released this month.

Theres no certainty that we will get 2.0 this month. I've heard everything from 2 weeks to February. I think we'll see it before Christmas though.

On the screen I managed to get a 1 cm scrape and I was very careful. With the protection I never need to be too bothered with it and i also plan to sell it on at some stage.

I never bother with any cases for any of my phones. I have an InvisibleShield on my iPhone (front only) that does the job. I got a cheap screen protector for the HTC until I acquire an InvisibleShield. Cases just add bulk. I'm careful with phones so I just need to protect the screen from pocket damage (keys, coins etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Doesn't seem to be any support for Mac with this whole modding thing, might mean I won't get the benefit of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

So have had my hero for 2 months now, and very pleased mostly. I just have 2 gripes which I thought someone might be able to give some advice on:

• First is (I use htc mail app with my exchange account) that I can't download any mail attachments, which is starting to get a bit upsetting, whether using wifi or mobile network. This isn't really helped by using gmail as I can only view attachments while connected to mobile network.

• The other thing is that I can't connect to the wifi at work, because it uses a proxy and I can't find where to put in the proxy address.

Any suggestions to fix these issues would be much appreciated

Also saw this quick tips thread over at android central earlier today with a couple of tips I didn't now about, most useful ones are
    • turn the phone over to silence an incoming call
    • Hold down the home key to toggle apps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I have to say I feel meteor have completely dropped the ball with this and will probably loose out.
    They could of made it soo much more out of this, had a big campagin and stocked up stores with more stock for PAYG and existing bill pay Customers rather than just a few for new customers only.
    I have gone round a few stores and with the exeception of 1 guy in 1 store even knowing its coming out on PAYG they dont even know when they are getting stock.
    I for one wont be waiting till the end of the year to get this phone from meteor due to their ineptness and if i cant get one from meteor by the end of the week ill go elsewhere for one.

Bad form meteor bad form tut tut!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Richie6904 wrote: »
    I have to say I feel meteor have completely dropped the ball with this and will probably loose out.
    They could of made it soo much more out of this, had a big campagin and stocked up stores with more stock for PAYG and existing bill pay Customers rather than just a few for new customers only.
    I have gone round a few stores and with the exeception of 1 guy in 1 store even knowing its coming out on PAYG they dont even know when they are getting stock.
    I for one wont be waiting till the end of the year to get this phone from meteor due to their ineptness and if i cant get one from meteor by the end of the week ill go elsewhere for one.

Bad form meteor bad form tut tut!!!

i rang customer care earlier, she was saying that it would cost 129.99 on my plan, but if i wanted to buy (she said buy) then it would be four hundred odd, offered to put me thru to the sales team, maybe try that angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Doesn't seem to be any support for Mac with this whole modding thing, might mean I won't get the benefit of it!

I'm in the same boat and from my understanding it also means we won't be able to upgrade to Android 2.0 when it is available. Think I will be delaying my purchase until I do some more research.

Would parallels for Mac do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

I've been into 12 Meteor stores(Inc xtravision) in Mayo and The Carphone Warehouse in Westport.

They never even heard of the thing. Well they do now I told them about it. I'm the new Meteor rep.

Was in a Vodafone store asking about the H1 from Samsung. It was in the Window(Video Display). He didn't know, but thats because they just got it in and he knew it as the 360 phone(not xbox).

Anyway I like the H1, but I really need to test the Hero first. To see which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

O.T but how much is the H1?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Is the Hero available on Bill Pay Lite from Meteor? Have seen prices for all the other Bill Pay plans but not this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thats because Bill Pay Lite is a Sim only plan. PLEASE look back through the last few pages, you will see your question has already been answered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Zagato wrote: »

Also saw this quick tips thread over at android central earlier today with a couple of tips I didn't now about, most useful ones are
    • turn the phone over to silence an incoming call
    • Hold down the home key to toggle apps

Very cool, thanks for the heads up on the tips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

paddy2k wrote: »
    Very cool, thanks for the heads up on the tips

Yeah thanks. I took a read through that page! The task/app swopping is really gonna help!

On the subject of apps, anyone know of a good substitute for connecting to Microsoft Exchange? The built in application really doesn'y work well for me. This may be getting some upgrading/fixing in 2.0?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement