Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

sounds very tempting - not sure i can wait much longer tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Confirmed - Hero's getting Android 2.0 UI :D -

HTC are taking care of their existing Android devices - first it was Sense UI for the HTC Magic, now we hear that the HTC Hero is getting an Android 2.0 update. There's no specific timeframe for this update but at least it will be global, unlike the (so far) Taiwan-only Sense UI update for the Magic.

HTC have already confirmed to be working on phones using Eclair and Hero owners will be pleased to hear that they're getting it too. HTC are currently busy with porting the Sense UI to the new version of Android, which saw plenty of changes under the hood, so they need to rewrite things and get them tested.

The update will be available for all versions of the Hero - since the Hero is not a "Google" phone there are no licensing restrictions in its way to getting the update - exactly the thing that stands between the Magic and Sense UI.

Poor HTC Magic owners are yet again put in doubt - the hardware should be able to handle Android v2.0 as it's mostly the same as the one in the Hero, but HTC didn't mention plans for such an update. The devs over at xda-developers.com will probably create a custom ROM anyway, so if you're not afraid of modding your keep an eye on them.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hero_getting_android_20_eclair_update_keeps_sense_ui-news-1219.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

rizzee wrote: »
    Poor HTC Magic owners are yet again put in doubt - the hardware should be able to handle Android v2.0 as it's mostly the same as the one in the Hero, but HTC didn't mention plans for such an update. The devs over at xda-developers.com will probably create a custom ROM anyway, so if you're not afraid of modding your keep an eye on them.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hero_getting_android_20_eclair_update_keeps_sense_ui-news-1219.php

G1 suffers from having a very small amount of internal flash. I remember reading on engadget - can't find it now - that an Android engineer claimed this was the reason it wouldn't be supported past 1.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Lots of reviews of the phone seem to imply the phone becomes sluggish under the pressure of widgets. Has this been fixed by firmware upgrades, or are the reviewers puttin the phone under unnecessary stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Lots of reviews of the phone seem to imply the phone becomes sluggish under the pressure of widgets. Has this been fixed by firmware upgrades, or are the reviewers puttin the phone under unnecessary stress?

The initial release suffered from lag, which was fixed with a firmware update. However most of the reviews on the internerd haven't been updated to allow for the new firmware...

• Advertisement

Yeah I've just read Stephen Fry's review and he mentions about the firmware upgrade. Someone should've just mention that Fry likes the phone, then it becomes an instant buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

Yeah I've just read Stephen Fry's review and he mentions about the firmware upgrade. Someone should've just mention that Fry likes the phone, then it becomes an instant buy!

...link to the review?

does anyone have any advice in unlocking the hero - i will try and get mine asap but will need it to work on vodafone?

also i just spoke to meteor store, she said next week or week after for the hero

Carphone warehouse said that they wont be getting it as exclusive to meteor stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

It will be in the 3G Mobile stores so not just exclusive to Meteor Stores.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to this now. Have signed up to gmail in preparation, so I can sync calendars, contacts etc... Which is great, because I have two phones and it is a nightmare trying to keep the contacts in order.

But the thing that I did not realise, which is very cool, is that you can use gMail to access your private POP3 email (sending & recieving) without anyone knowing it came from gMail - this is great, will allow me to keep everything in one location. I'm sure your google accouint will become more and more important as time goes by, especially as android seems to encourage you to have one.

mail, contacts, calendar, gps/nav, document editors and viewers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Bluefoam wrote: »

But the thing that I did not realise, which is very cool, is that you can use gMail to access your private POP3 email (sending & recieving) without anyone knowing it came from gMail.

Yep I noticed this little feature a few weeks back, think it only must of come in the last few months because previously you had to send using the gmail stmp address which showed your email was sent on "behalf" of gmail. Can now run all your email through the one place which is nice. Gmail has a good spam filter to.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

It will be in the 3G Mobile stores so not just exclusive to Meteor Stores.

meteor has said it will only be in their stores and at their online store. Is 3g part of meteor or.....????

So what are people expecting from this?

I think a good feature would be a task manager that works well - have had them on so many different phones and devices, but they are always next to useless.

Google calendars will be good, I'll use one myself for appointments, meetings, birthdays, holidays etc... but it will be cool to be able to see the ones that the mtb clubs etc. publish, they seem to be getting more popular...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Slipshaney wrote: »
    does anyone have any advice in unlocking the hero - i will try and get mine asap but will need it to work on vodafone?

also i just spoke to meteor store, she said next week or week after for the hero

Carphone warehouse said that they wont be getting it as exclusive to meteor stores

Why not just buy it unlocked? You're not saving by buying it from meteor PAYG.

could i get it somewhere unlocked? other than online?

i also spoke to 3g and they are unsure when the hero will be in stock

iknorr wrote: »
    meteor has said it will only be in their stores and at their online store. Is 3g part of meteor or.....????

It is on the 3G Mobile price list for November anyway. And our orders are in for it.

Not part of meteor.

thanks shane - you seem to know a bit about the release of this - any update?

We were told it would be in the warehouse today, stocktake friday and shipping Monday.

Looks like in the warehouse monday now, shipping for delivery tuesday. However given the amount of phones shipping monday it may be wednesday before it gets to some stores.

Cheers

ah well - looks like it'll be next week so (hopefully)

• Advertisement

Will let you know when it arrives in the warehouse.

Found this interesting article, not sure if its based on truth or not...

http://komplettie.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/meteor-to-launch-htc-hero-november-1st/
    Perhaps most interesting though, is word that Meteor intends to introduce new price plans for users who pick up the Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Since they just launched a whole new suite of plans, which come with unlimited internet from 24.99, I wouldn't be holding my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I dont think Meteor will have special(rip off) price plans for the Hero...

If they do , they will be shooting themselves in the foot, big time.

its not exactly an iphone, and as far as I'm aware, there is no exclusivity agreement...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

chrislad wrote: »
    Since they just launched a whole new suite of plans, which come with unlimited internet from 24.99, I wouldn't be holding my breath!

which plan has unlimited internet for 24.99?:confused:

cojomo2 wrote: »
    which plan has unlimited internet for 24.99?:confused:

Bill Pay Lite 10 plus Unlimited Data for 14.99 == 24.99.

50 Mins, 50 Texts, Unlimited Data.

The Phone is available on the normal Tarrifs. No special ones for the Hero.

The Mobile Add on is €4.99 for 250Mb and €14.99 unlimited.

Is that the unlimited plan you were thinking of. It is not available on Billpay Lite

Is that the unlimited plan you were thinking of. It is not available on Billpay Lite

Yes, it is. It's not available on the older Bill Pay Lite plans (ie Talk 60 (04) and Talk 300 (04)) because it used to be available on only Talk 400 and above and the system doesn't allow you to add it on, but it's available on the whole new suite of plans.

What i mean is that the phone is not available on Billpay lite.

You need to sign up to one of the connect plans to get the phone.

The Unlimited broadband is available on all the contract plans including Billpay lite.

• Advertisement

has anyone ordered this from expansys yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement