Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

What i mean is that the phone is not available on Billpay lite.

You need to sign up to one of the connect plans to get the phone.

The Unlimited broadband is available on all the contract plans including Billpay lite.

Oh, I know that but I never said anything about getting the phone with that. I was merely pointing out that the likelihood of Meteor launching new plans was miniscule considering they just have, and that if you had an HTC hero, you could get a really decent internet data package for less than 25e a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

You are spot on.

Cheers

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I heard it will be €159.99 on Connect 25/20 plan, but if you port your number you can get it for €129.99. Seems a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

More Hero goodness :D

Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/294951/30-10-1-7-teknologist-kernel-with-tun-ko-ext4-cifs-and-compache-ramzswap/

Running on Modaco 2.8 with no issues so far. Stop and remove swapper before updating and the usual government health warnings apply. Working vpn etc. Haven't converted to EXT4 just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dingatron wrote: »
    More Hero goodness :D

Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/294951/30-10-1-7-teknologist-kernel-with-tun-ko-ext4-cifs-and-compache-ramzswap/

Running on Modaco 2.8 with no issues so far. Stop and remove swapper before updating and the usual government health warnings apply. Working vpn etc. Haven't converted to EXT4 just yet.
    That is all complete gibberish to me? If I buy a hero should I be using all this modaco stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Cannot wait for this :D Great to see some prices on it, hope they'll be official soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

lol its a geek fest alright!
    If I buy a hero should I be using all this modaco stuff?
    If you want to. Its what android is all about "choice". The ability to run modifications, hacks enhancements and other stuff not necessarily supported by HTC etc but which will run on the phone. It is a bit overwhelming at first but small bit of research and understanding a bit of how the phone works and you'll be posting gibberish just like me. :P

Or you can run it out of the box. As I said to someone today. If all development stopped today the Hero would still be a fine phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

rizzee wrote: »
    Cannot wait for this :D Great to see some prices on it, hope they'll be official soon :D
    cant wait myself. the ladies in the meteor store by me are completely clueless so im only expecting results on Thursday or friday next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dingatron wrote: »
    lol its a geek fest alright!

If you want to. Its what android is all about "choice". The ability to run modifications, hacks enhancements and other stuff not necessarily supported by HTC etc but which will run on the phone. It is a bit overwhelming at first but small bit of research and understanding a bit of how the phone works and you'll be posting gibberish just like me. :P

Or you can run it out of the box. As I said to someone today. If all development stopped today the Hero would still be a fine phone.
    Cool! Don't worry once I get the phone I'll be hassling you guys via this thread, I can guarantee that!

Just have to wait for a credit card refund to go through and I should be snapping up a brand new one from eBay.

Here's a solution for that MMS problem. Sorry for delay.

Correcting the MMS issue
    1.****** After inserting the SIM and entering the PIN, the phone will ask first if you want to set up your email accounts / social networking accounts (facebook etc.). Please select skip or select no when prompted to carry out these steps, and you will be taken to the home screen.
    2.****** On the home screen, press the up arrow ^ just to the left of the word ‘Phone’. This brings up the main menu.
    3.****** Use the track ball to scroll down to ‘Settings’, and use the touch screen to select ‘Settings’.
    4.****** Scroll down to ‘Wireless Controls’ and select it.
    5.****** Scroll down to ‘Mobile Network Settings’ and select it.
    6.****** Scroll down to ‘Access Point Names’ and select it.
    7.****** Select Meteor Data.
    8.****** Scroll down to ‘APN type’ and select it
    9.****** Manually type in the word ‘default’ and select ‘ok’
    10.** You can now send and receive MMS messages

I've not tested this so let me know if it resolves your issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They're in Meteor shops in Cork...but not on upgrade for another 2 weeks...way to go Meteor:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

EPM wrote: »
    They're in Meteor shops in Cork...but not on upgrade for another 2 weeks...way to go Meteor:rolleyes:

I'm currently on bill pay lite 25, if I want to sign up to connect 25, what type of customer am I ? Is that classed as an upgrade? If I don't get the price that people porting from another network, then I'm simply going to be pissed off.. I'll leave it or else port to 3 and then just port straight back.. It's a really stupid policy, good way to piss off their current customers..

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

are they in the shop today??

Slipshaney wrote: »
    are they in the shop today??

Blackpool and Patrick Street in Cork have them anyway. I'm seriously peeved that they didnt bother allocating any of the stock for upgrades. Just shows what they think of existing customers:mad:

ah right...so only PAYG for now - thats a pity alright

Slipshaney wrote: »
    ah right...so only PAYG for now - thats a pity alright

Dunno if they have PAYG - the phones they have are for new bill pay customers only. Not existing ones upgrading

ah right i get ya - do meteor ever sell sim free phones i wonder :)

doubt it. you'd buy online cheaper

thats true too - see it on expansys but not sure how long i would be waiting for delivery

Blackpool and Patrick Street in Cork have them anyway. I'm seriously peeved that they didnt bother allocating any of the stock for upgrades. Just shows what they think of existing customers:mad:

Is it confirmed that they are there or are they just taking Preorders.

None were sent from the distributors so can only assume they have some phones sent for Demo.

• Advertisement

Is it confirmed that they are there or are they just taking Preorders.

None were sent from the distributors so can only assume they have some phones sent for Demo.

well ive called 3 cork stores and they say that the hero is in stock for new billpay customers only

Yeh, just confirmed it myself with the blackpool store but theirs are all sold already.

Is it just Cork have them i wonder.

Shane

that was quick!

Yeh, they had been preordered i think.

anyone who actually got one might let us know what they think! has uit lived up to expectations etc

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Ya they have it in stock in Clonmel was jus in their but not on PAYG only bill pay.

ryanmatty wrote: »
    Ya they have it in stock in Clonmel was jus in their but not on PAYG only bill pay.

had they a demo model in store ryanmatty??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sure its only''officially'' out tommorow, give it time lads

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

No not on display but they just had the recieved the delivery so maybe in that

• Advertisement

Yeh, just confirmed it myself with the blackpool store but theirs are all sold already.

Is it just Cork have them i wonder.

Shane

All Meteor stores should have them now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement