Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You might feel bad about letting down the oppressed poorly paid ESB workers?*

*satire alert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

dahamsta wrote: »
    Well said Srameen. The leve of ignorance on here about this subject speaks volumes about why this country is in the shape it is today. FF voters every one of them too, I'll wager.
    Nobody is showing ignorance. We've all seen this happen before with Eircom. They control the phone networks just as ESB control the electricity grid. Still doesn't stop Eircom being undercut by every other reseller out there. And the fact that a reseller can undercut the owner of the networks speaks volumes. ESB is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I just calculated it with my last and rather low esb bill of €100.97 for the last two months. If I had payed the BG tariff I would have saved just about €9.48 on that bill alone or €56.90 for the whole year (less than 10% overall because standing charges remain the same).
    If your average bimonthly bill is €200 you can save more than €100 a year, that's the cost of a whole month's electricity. Although there is still no harm in conserving energy in the first place...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sorry about that lads, stupid mistake leaving out VAT

Prices break down as follows:

Take Urban 24 Hour Tarriff
    Bord Gais = Gener Units kWh 16.38 (with DD option only)

ESB = General units kWh 18.61

Airtricity = General Units kWh 17.12 (DD option only)

Click on the company names for full tarriff details from the company website.

So all in All Bord Gais is cheapest at present

ALL PRICES INCLUDE VAT at 13.5%!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Odsox

Has anyone seen a copy of their tariff and if so where?
    I would like to know what they charge for off peak, night heating etc. All I can see is their "typical" savings which apply to urban rate, no mention of what their rural rate is.
    Airtricity are also 10% lower than ESB for domestic customers and have their tariff displayed on their web page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭KNO3

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sorry about that lads, stupid mistake leaving out VAT

Prices break down as follows:

Take Urban 24 Hour Tarriff
    Bord Gais = Gener Units kWh 16.38 (with DD option only)

Airtricity = General Units kWh 17.12 (DD option only)

Click on the company names for full tarriff details from the company website.

So all in All Bord Gais is cheapest at present

ALL PRICES INCLUDE VAT at 13.5%!!

Good work, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

Just switched over online! I am already a bord gais customer and signed up for DD so hopefully will see the difference!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mike65 wrote: »
    Steady on dahamsta!
    I guess my post could be perceived as over-generalised, so for the record: I wasn't referring to people that switch, but people that comment about the ESB raise without doing any research. First of all, the ESB was committed to giving that raise, and I'm sure there won't be another for quite some time. And secondly, like Eircom networks, ESB networks have some of the best technical staff in Europe, if not the world. When electricity networks go down in other countries, it's the ESB they call. ESB Networks.

Retail is a different kettle of fish entirely, although to be fair to them they have their own problem that have already been highlighted. Not being able to adjust your pricing in response today is kind of a problem.

I'll probably switch myself, just not today. IMHO anyone that switched today is a bandwagon-jumping idiot.
    20goto10 wrote: »
    Nobody is showing ignorance. We've all seen this happen before with Eircom. They control the phone networks just as ESB control the electricity grid. Still doesn't stop Eircom being undercut by every other reseller out there. And the fact that a reseller can undercut the owner of the networks speaks volumes. ESB is no different.
    Did you even read the OP's post? Go back and read it.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Odsox

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

I'll probably switch myself, just not today. IMHO anyone that switched today is a bandwagon-jumping idiot.
    Can you explain how?

They are from the looks of it, offering the same service for a cheaper price. Why not switch today?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

mike65 wrote: »

Isn't it an offence to quote ex-VAT prices when the advert is directed towards Home users?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Because a week of waiting for the dust to settle and the glitches in provision and ToS to be corrected would have a negligible difference in the bill at the end of the month.

As our eircom account manager said to me many years ago - we love folk who switch their broadband - we get the fixed fee but the reseller gets all the billing and customer service grief. So for all those saying yeah boo sucks to the ESB well they'll still make money and we'll still have the benefit of their skilled technical crews.

I moved to Bord Gais today. Cheaper bills. Swift changeover process. Organisation with a track record (already a gas customer). Who's to say I won't be moving back in a year..

At least unlike BB there's no downtime so the changeover process is trivial for the enduser.

But (according to my auld fella who heard it on Joe Duffy) Mr Regulator doesn't want a price war as he fears it could lead to prices below that of production and squeeze out the little fish who didn't really seem to care about entering the domestic market anyway (all the profit is with business a/cs).

sorry dahamsta I'm just not getting your point. Do you not want to save money?

Because a week of waiting for the dust to settle and the glitches in provision and ToS to be corrected would have a negligible difference in the bill at the end of the month.

Glitches ? What glitches ? No fear of glitches ! 18,000 farmers can't be wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You've done it again.:rolleyes:

ESB is only undercut because they are not allowed reduce their price. They asked to do so last year but were refused. It's not a matter of them being undercut. And anyway they will still have the Distribution Use OF System (DUOS) charges regardless of the generator or supplier. This has been the case with the Industrial/Commercial market which is worth much more than the Domestic market. Bord Gais, Airtricity etc are not "resellers". ESB does not "own" the electricity" they are selling. Its a 3 way process of Generation, Distribution, and Supply. Bord Gais will generate and supply while ESB will distribute. It's has being going on for years.
    ESB still maintain the lines, refurbish the networks, build new sub stations and lines, fix faults, connect meters, read meters etc. It all has to be paid for and they don't mind by whom.

You've done it again.:rolleyes:

ESB is only undercut because they are not allowed reduce their price. They asked to do so last year but were refused. It's not a matter of them being undercut. And anyway they will still have the Distribution Use OF System (DUOS) charges regardless of the generator or supplier. This has been the case with the Industrial/Commercial market which is worth much more than the Domestic market. Bord Gais, Airtricity etc are not "resellers". ESB does not "own" the electricity" they are selling. Its a 3 way process of Generation, Distribution, and Supply. Bord Gais will generate and supply while ESB will distribute. It's has being going on for years.
    ESB still maintain the lines, refurbish the networks, build new sub stations and lines, fix faults, connect meters, read meters etc. It all has to be paid for and they don't mind by whom.
    You're completely missing the point. Bord Gais are cheaper than ESB, period. Maybe they won't be in the future, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll end up back with ESB. But in the meantime 14% discount is a 14% discount. Nothing you are saying makes a blind bit of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

QFT, a small peripheral point is being made heavy weather of. The consumer don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just finished applying online. Took about 10 minutes. Supplied a meter reading and waived the cooling off period, so should be saving as of NOW! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You're completely missing the point. Bord Gais are cheaper than ESB, period. Maybe they won't be in the future, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll end up back with ESB. But in the meantime 14% discount is a 14% discount. Nothing you are saying makes a blind bit of difference.

Keep your hair on! I'm delighted there is someone else to buy my electricity from and I think it's a great saving but I couldn't care less who people buy from. I'm simply correcting a mis-understanding where people are talking about an ESB response to the competition when there can't actually be one. You youself referred to BG as a reseller which they are not and referred to ESB being undercut which they are but not by anydoing of anybody but the CER. People also seem to be gloating at ESB's loss but they are not actually losing much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

patrickc wrote: »
    ive switched over there, the only drawback so far was a 200 deposit ive to pay , even though im a gas customer for years, and have always payed my bill on time, just because they I don't own this house.

you get the depositi back after 6/7 bills

Thats a fairly big catch. How small is that print :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Had a look and I think Airtricity is a better option in the long run as I'm not a Bord gais customer. 10% less than ESB with no cut after 1st year, whreras Bord Gais will go to 5% after first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Had a look and I think Airtricity is a better option in the long run as I'm not a Bord gais customer. 10% less than ESB with no cut after 1st year, whreras Bord Gais will go to 5% after first year.

Do they also state that they will be at least 10% lower than ESB prices regardless of the price?

Hope ESB drop their prices soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

parsi wrote: »
    So for all those saying yeah boo sucks to the ESB well they'll still make money and we'll still have the benefit of their skilled technical crews.

Am I right that in the event of an outage after I switch to Board Gais that ESB technicians will "promptly" sort out the problem, unlike Eircom taking their time if you have switched say to UTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

I am in the process of switching as it seems ludicrous to not avail of a discount of any kind when it becomes available. During the sign up I decided to pop on boards and have a look around for any new info. The rates have been posted in this thread and read as

Bord Gais = General Units kWh 16.38 (with DD option only)

Looking at my current bill dated 20th Jan it has two rates indicated (0.1597 & 0.1640) the latter would presumably be the last rate applied, I also presume that would be 16.40 when scaled up to match the rates posted earlier.

Does this discrepancy refer to a newer ESB rate of 18.61 applied since my bill was issued, as ESB - 16.40 is almost the same as the BG DD low of 16.38??

I guess the ESB have since upped their rate from 16.40 to 18.61 but could do with someone confirming that before I sign up.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

BG expect to get 1million of the 1.8 million ESB Coustemers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

So why now? Was there something stopping Bord Gáis entering the market before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I was about to post a message saying I can't find any saving... but then realised that the ESB rates on the site and those shown on the bill are pre-VAT. VAT is applied then to the total at the end of the bill. Doh! So found my 11.59% saving! ;)

Good day for Irish consumers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Brando_ie wrote: »
    I am in the process of switching as it seems ludicrous to not avail of a discount of any kind when it becomes available. During the sign up I decided to pop on boards and have a look around for any new info. The rates have been posted in this thread and read as

Bord Gais = General Units kWh 16.38 (with DD option only)

Looking at my current bill dated 20th Jan it has two rates indicated (0.1597 & 0.1640) the latter would presumably be the last rate applied, I also presume that would be 16.40 when scaled up to match the rates posted earlier.

Does this discrepancy refer to a newer ESB rate of 18.61 applied since my bill was issued, as ESB - 16.40 is almost the same as the BG DD low of 16.38??

I guess the ESB have since upped their rate from 16.40 to 18.61 but could do with someone confirming that before I sign up.

Cheers

Look at your bill the unit price is missing VAT, I have since corrected the breakdown to include vat which matches ESB website and still means Bord Gais is cheapest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement