Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

SectionF wrote: »
    Are they not obliged to accept legal tender in payment? Surely people are entitled to use means that don't involve rip-off bank charges?

I'm sorry, but it's your own fault if you pay bank charges on DDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Del2005 wrote: »
    In this day and age you shouldn't be paying bank charges, plenty of free banking available.

out of interest: is there anywhere that still charges for banking?

/sorry for going off-topic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

out of interest: is there anywhere that still charges for banking?

/sorry for going off-topic

I've no idea, but I'm sure there are, I was only repling to SectionF's post about rip off bank charges.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While the details are not out yet the pricing structure is due out today, Bord Gáis are promising to undercut the ESB by 10% for the next three years.

I'm curious will their be T&C's attached to this 10% undercut, for example Airtricity offer upto 10% off if you take a certain payment plan, pay by Direct Debit and do on-line billing. Their details are available from - https://www.airtricity.com/ireland/switch_to_airtricity/switch_now/airtricity_your_airtricit/

Lets hope the whatever Bord Gáis comes out with its positive for the average joe on the street who could do with cutting bills in these fun fun times.

EDIT: Update at 15:24hours
    Details are out, take for example the Urban 24 Hour plan with all three Irish providers
    Prices break down as follows:

Urban 24 Hour Tariff
    Bord Gais = Gener Units kWh 16.38 (with DD option only)

ESB = General units kWh 18.61

Airtricity = General Units kWh 17.12 (DD option only)

Click on the company names for full tariff details from the company website.

So all in All Bord Gais is cheapest at present

ALL PRICES INCLUDE VAT at 13.5%!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Cabaal wrote: »
    While the details are not out yet the pricing structure is due out today, Bord Gáis are promising to undercut the ESB by 10% for the next three years.

I'm curious will their be T&C's attached to this 10% undercut, for example Airtricity offer upto 10% off if you take a certain payment plan, pay by Direct Debit and do on-line billing. Their details are available from - https://www.airtricity.com/ireland/switch_to_airtricity/switch_now/airtricity_your_airtricit/

Lets hope the whatever Bord Gáis comes out with its positive for the average joe on the street who could do with cutting bills in these fun fun times.

i'll be ringing them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's great new for the domestic customer. I wonder though if they'll remain 10% below ESB when the CER announces the next price reduction. They'll probably insist on Direct Debit so I won't rush to them as I like paying ahead in the Post Office.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's great new for the domestic customer. I wonder though if they'll remain 10% below ESB when the CER announces the next price reduction.

Well "apparently" they are guaranteeing it'll be 10% cheaper then the ESB for the next three years, now in saying that both the ESB and them could put up prices but as long as they are still 10% cheaper then the ESB they are still providing that guarantee.
    They'll probably insist on Direct Debit so I won't rush to them as I like paying ahead in the Post Office.

I would imagine so as well, in fairness for the likes of me who started as a new ESB customer in July 2008 in makes no difference as the ESB offered me two options as a new customer
    - Pay a deposit of 300e and pay anyway I want
    - Pay by direct debit and you don't have to pay a deposit of 300e

Easy guess which one I was effectively forced into :confused:

Details are due at Midday today!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0218/bordgais.html
    Bord Gáis has announced that it is entering the residential electricity market, with a guarantee to customers that its prices will be at least 10% lower than the ESB, for the next three years.

From midday, any ESB customer will be able to switch over and get their electricity from Bord Gáis by either phoning the company or going online.

It hopes to expand its customer base to more than 1m people in three years.
    Advertisement

The double digit guarantee is due to remain in place, no matter what cuts the ESB introduces.

There will also be no penalty if a customer wants to switch back to the ESB.

Bord Gáis Chief Executive John Mullins said it would be straight-forward for ESB customers to switch to the company, and this would be open to all 1.8m registered households who use electricity.

The announcement amounts to a huge shake-up of the residential electricity market and according to Bord Gáis will result in immediate and substantial savings for customers.

Mr Mullins also said he believed that gas prices would go down considerably this year with prices more than 25% lower next December than they are today.

In a statement, the ESB said the residential market has been open to competition since February 2005 and it was open to all competitors to charge what they like.

It said it welcomed any new competition into the market.

However, the ESB said it was required to charge the rate set by the Commission for Energy Regulation and was not allowed to discount from that rate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you already have gas with Bord Gáis, will there be any incentives if you switch to them for electricty too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Just rang up and switched my account over, 12% discount if you pay by DD.

I really don't want to be paying for more ESB wage increases.

• Advertisement

spadder wrote: »
    Just rang up and switched my account over, 12% discount if you pay by DD.

I really don't want to be paying for more ESB wage increases.

Did they give you any details of the pricing?

They say they will be cheaper by 10%. because I signed up over the phone they will post out the Terms & conditions, there is a 7 day "cool off period".
    I can go back to ESB anytime.

EDIT: They said the T&C's will be on the website at midday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great news for us, but it raises the spectre of the energy regulators role again, the ESB can't even respond if they want to as the Energy Commissar only reviews prices twice a year.

mike65 wrote: »
    Great news for us, but it raises the spectre of the energy regulators role again, the ESB can't even respond if they want to as the Energy Commissar only reviews prices twice a year.

IMO ESB will only get more expensive, out dated work practises, wage increases, pension timebombs and customers switching to Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'll be switching over today, about time we had some choice :D
    Bord Gáis has announced that it is entering the residential electricity market later today, with a guarantee to customers that its prices will be at least 10% lower than the ESB for the next three years.
    The company's chief executive, John Mullins, said it would be a simple process for ESB customers to switch to Bord Gáis, and this would be open to all 1.8 million registered households who use electricity.
    This announcement by Bord Gáis amounts to a huge shake-up of the residential electricity market and, the company claims, will result in immediate and substantial savings for customers.
    Advertisement

From midday today, any ESB customer will be able to switch over and get their electrify from Bord Gáis by either phoning the company or going online.
    It hopes to expand its customer base to more than a million people in three years, by promising its bills will always be at least 10% lower that the ESB.
    Mr Mullins said the double digit guarantee would remain in place, no matter what cuts the ESB introduced; adding that there would be no penalty if a customer wanted to switch back to the ESB.
    On gas prices, Mr Mullins said he believed that they would go down considerably this year - with prices more than 25% lower next December than they are today.
    Meanwhile, the ESB said the residential market has been open to competition since February 2005 and it was open to all competitors to charge what they like.
    In a statement this morning, it said it welcomed any new competition into the market. But the ESB said it was required to charge the rate set by the Commission for Energy Regulation and was not allowed to discount from that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Anyone know of any T&C for this, minimum contracts, switching costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Vegeta wrote: »
    Anyone know of any T&C for this, minimum contracts, switching costs?
    I'll let you know when I'm on the phone to them :D

T&C are been sent out in the post, no cost for switching & 12% discount if your a Bord Gais customer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

Does anyone know if there's a minimum contract length with ESB? I signed with them on November last year, can I switch?

Can't find anything relative to that in their terms and conditions.

already switched.

Afaik there is no min contract with either.

• Advertisement

spadder wrote: »
    Afaik there is no min contract with either.

Thanks.

I think that's the case as well, but I'd like to be sure. If I attempt to switch and I can't probably someone will let me know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Press release here.

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a minimum contract length with ESB? I signed with them on November last year, can I switch?

Can't find anything relative to that in their terms and conditions.

There is no min contract length with either the ESB, Airtricity or Bord Gais in relation to home electricity customers

Press release here.

Not very detailed release :confused:

Cabaal wrote: »
    There is no min contract length with either the ESB, Airtricity or Bord Gais in relation to home electricity customers

Thanks.

I am switching tomorrow then.

I hope they're not demanding a deposit on this like they do with gas though.

Does that big switch work for anyone else yet?

mike65 wrote: »
    Does that big switch work for anyone else yet?

Just a big image on it, nothing else

Website is now live
    FAQ:
    What payment methods may I choose
    You may choose from Direct Debit, Laser or Credit card by calling 1850 22 22 55, by cash at Post offices, Paypoint and Payzone outlets or by sending us a cheque.

So you don't HAVE to pay by direct debit!, however if your in a property for less then 14 month you must either pay by direct debit or give them a 200e deposit. You get a 2% discount for paying by DD.

The website is really lacking details on unit costs etc

If your signing up on-line or over the phone you are covered by the distanced selling act and as such have a cooling off period, you can choose to waive this according to the order form
    It normally takes between 3 and 18 working days to have you registered as our customer and to begin the supply of electricity to you. You are entitled, however, to withdraw from this contract for up to 7 working days after the contract is concluded. If it is possible for us to connect you and begin supply before this 7 day period has expired, would you like us to do so? If not, we will not begin to supply you with electricity until at least 7 working days have expired.

T&C's for the service are here - https://www.thebigswitch.ie/tcs_supply.htm

Nothing about on-line billing or submitting meter readings or anything like airtricity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

14% Discount if already a Bord Gais customer and paying for your electricity by Direct Debit. :D

I'm in.

Cal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement