Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That site doesn't include ESB for Gas & Electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

That site doesn't include ESB for Gas & Electricity.

It does, I've just been looking at it.

I've been with Flogas for my Gas and Airtricity for my electricity for a while now. Using bonkers.ie, I've just found that I could save about €79 a year by moving my electricity to ESB. As for gas, I'm on the cheapest already it would seem.

Suits me to move from Airtricity too - I hate their door to door sales tactics and I don't want to support a company that employs them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

For those who switched to bord gais electricity when it first launched, its time to switch as your discount rates are now finished.

Using your latest bill, and latest meter reading it will take less than 2 min to switch back to Electric Ireland for a 14% saving. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Billy Davey

This might be a bit off topic, but it's an Energy related question.....

I've recently moved into a rented house which has gas central heating. I've never had gas before, so excuse me if I'm a bit ignorant on the topic!

The gas is just used for the central heating and a gas fire in the living room (the latter of which we have never used).

Given the time of year, we are not currently using the central heating and I have the heating switched off and all timers are off.

Out of curiosity, I was doing some checks last night on our Elec and Gas meters, to see roughly how much they've gone up by since we moved in and what rate they tend to increase at.

I took a reading at 8pm and then at 9pm. I was surprised to see that our gas meter reading had increased slightly, even though we are not currently using the gas. In the space of an hour the reading increased by about 0.012 cubic metres (ie. the three red digits, after the main digits, increased from about 782 to 794).

Does anyone know why this might be? Is this an indication of a leak possibly?

The boiler was only serviced in March just before we moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

Does your gas boiler have a pilot light. This may have an effect.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

Not sure. I can try check later when I'm home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Anybody have info on whether Bord Gáis are now the cheapest electricity supplier with their new discounts? They say they're offering 14% off their standard tariff, but I can't find their standard tariff information anywhere.

Important links on the thebigswitch.ie website (like 'Switch to a detailed tariff view', and 'How much discount will I receive by switching to Bord Gáis Energy?' aren't working). Are they trying to hide this info? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I am with Airtricity for both leccy and gas but bonkers.ie says ESB is the cheapest for both. Time to move again :o

rameire wrote: »
    Does your gas boiler have a pilot light. This may have an effect.

Yeh had a look and found a little pilot light (small blue flame) down at the base of my boiler.

Obviously this is constantly drawing a small bit of gas from the mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

yes, i presume so. this could be part of the gas usage, you could have a leak.
    to find out, you could turn off all the internal valves. and then open them one by one.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yeh had a look and found a little pilot light (small blue flame) down at the base of my boiler.

Obviously this is constantly drawing a small bit of gas from the mains?

A small amount? Yes. 12 units in an hour- no way........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Adventurer

smccarrick wrote: »
    A small amount? Yes. 12 units in an hour- no way........
    .012 units is a very small amount.

Adventurer wrote: »
    .012 units is a very small amount.

It is small yes. I'm just wondering is it a normal consumption rate for a pilot light?

My boiler is a Potterton Kingfisher II. Dates from the early to mid ninties I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Adventurer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Well I just had an Airtricity rep at my door. Sadly I'm already a victim of having signed up with this awful company and have experienced first of all being mis-sold the product on the basis that it would be cheaper which it is clearly not due to the high standing charges and bills that are always estimates.

Then, like many others I had the problem of bills not being issued on time or at all. I complained but was ignored. The only way I was able to get them to issue me a bill in the end was to threaten to spam their facbook page with complaints at which point the then decided it would be better to contact me and sent me a vastly over-estimated bill. Quite how they can actually estimate my bills is beyond me since there is not a single recorded meter reading since the one I provided when I signed up despite the fact that I regularly send in reading to their website. Anyway, I will be posting most of this complaint on their facebook page shortly as I have just reached the end of my tether with them because of what just happened today.

I explained all of this to the embarrassed rep at my door who then quite unbelievably, told me I should leave Airtricity. Yes, this was one of their sales reps at my door, telling me they are useless...

Anyway, I fired off a quick email to their complaints dept. (not that I expect anything to come of it) to tell them that if my next bill is not based on a recent, accurate meter reading that I would not be paying the bill, I would consider them to be in breach of contract and would be terminating the agreement and moving to another provider.

Stay well away from Airtricity and if you are a customer already, you have my sympathies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I fear that this thread has really veered off course. It was initially setup to help people navigate the different options for energy providers.

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement