Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Cal wrote: »
    14% Discount if already a Bord Gais customer and paying for your electricity by Direct Debit. :D

I'm in.

Cal.

Wow 14%

So they will always beat ESB by 14% or is that just for 3 years?

I too am a Gas user

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Vegeta wrote: »
    Wow 14%

So they will always beat ESB by 14% or is that just for 3 years?

I too am a Gas user
    Guaranteed minimum savings of 10%* off ESB rates

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer. Terms and conditions apply.

10% standard discount
    12% if you pay by direct debit
    12% if your a Bord Gais customer
    14% if your a Bord Gais customer & pay by direct debit

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/tcs.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I've switched.

Its a no brainer and so easy. - took about 2 minutes online. Should save about €140 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Can anybody see any reason not to switch ? any drawbacks ?
    I'm definitely going to switch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

If anyone's interested. My brother is heading this up, if you want someone to call, drop me a PM with your details & I'll pass them on. They also do it for business, so consider that if you're a business owner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Apparently discounts are as follows
    10% standard discount
    12% if you pay by direct debit
    12% if your a Bord Gais customer
    14% if your a Bord Gais customer & pay by direct debit

Overall not bad, don't think I'll switch yet though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

towger wrote: »
    Can anybody see any reason not to switch ? any drawbacks ?
    I'm definitely going to switch .
    Was just about to post as above!

Can anyone give any reason not to switch?

If they commit to being 10-14% cheaper with no drawbacks surely everyone in the country is going to switch.

Done and dusted (they'll dust it that bit quicker if you supply a meter reading and waive your cooling period).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Ha ha I came on this morning as I switched to Airtricity (10% discount) yesterday and was about to urge others to do the same.
    Might have to reneg now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »
    I've done it.

I'm curious how much the ESB will feel this, Bord Gais are a very well known brand name in Ireland and are trusted when compared to Airtricity who most people either have never heard of or think they only provide for business customers.

You'd also wounder what benefits can be had going forward as both Bord Gais and the ESB are state owned and if people only going to either company is there really competition in the market?

Well thats a discussion for another thread maybe - I'm just happy to rob the ESB of 12%!

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm curious how much the ESB will feel this
    A lot I would imagine, I can see the vast majority of ESB customers switching over the next few days, bet the head guy regrets giving the 3.5% payrise now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Woo hoo!!!
    Just changed!! Saves me a GRAND A YEAR!!!
    Talking to Board Gais Custmer service, she said calls non stop!

padocon wrote: »
    Woo hoo!!!
    Just changed!! Saves me a GRAND A YEAR!!!

I can imagine alright,
    I may switch but I'll be submitting the meter reading when I do as I'd want to speed things up abit.

My yearly bill is estimated at 900e, so a 12% saving would be about 108e a year..not bad

padocon wrote: »
    They'll probably have 3/4 of ESB customers by the end of the day :D

Are their Tariffs on their website? Struggling to find them myself.

I've seen the figures but would like to see it on the site. Could someone post a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I can imagine alright,
    I may switch but I'll be submitting the meter reading when I do as I'd want to speed things up abit.

I did the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

hellboy99 wrote: »
    A lot I would imagine, I can see the vast majority of ESB customers switching over the next few days, bet the head guy regrets giving the 3.5% payrise now :p

Oh I think it's time people educated themselves on the workings of the electricity market.

ESB Networks will still read the meters, operate the distribution network and respond to any no-supply calls. You will just be billed by Bord Gais as the supplier. ESB makes very little profit from the Generation or Supply businesses it holds but profits more from the Distribution activity. The 3.5% rise (besides not having even a 0.2% affect on electricy costs) is irrelevant as the CER (Regulator) decides what payment per Unit ESB Networks gets form Bord Gais and others for the use of the distribution system. Most of ESB doesn't care who you actually buy your electricity from as long as you use plenty and it travels through their networks. The market has been open for years and most Industrial and Commercial customers (where the real profit is) have moved from ESB Customer Supply years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

From their T+Cs :

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer. Terms and conditions apply.

Not as good as it sounded!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I'm curious how much the ESB will feel this, Bord Gais are a very well known brand name in Ireland and are trusted when compared to Airtricity who most people either have never heard of or think they only provide for business customers.

You'd also wounder what benefits can be had going forward as both Bord Gais and the ESB are state owned and if people only going to either company is there really competition in the market?
    What you talking bout? 10%-14% cheaper for 3 years. Thats called competition. What happens after another 3 years is another thing. I'd imagine we'll all probably be switching back to ESB, but I'll take 14% cheaper for 3 years thank you very much :)

Are their Tariffs on their website? Struggling to find them myself.

I've seen the figures but would like to see it on the site. Could someone post a link?

I've searched all Three Bord Gais websites and can find no electric tarrif pricing, I'd like to see actual figures before signing up...atleast Airtricity provide these to people!

20goto10 wrote: »
    What you talking bout? 10%-14% cheaper for 3 years. Thats called competition. What happens after another 3 years is another thing. I'd imagine we'll all probably be switching back to ESB, but I'll take 14% cheaper for 3 years thank you very much :)

My point is both Bord Gais and ESB are state owned,

Airtricity is the only independent company here in reality so there still isn't much competition and if Bord Gais take alot of business and squeeze Airtricity out of the market then we are still left with a monopoly especially if they start price matching the ESB which could easily happen once Bord Gais have its nice little own electric customer base.

I would not be so concerned if the Bord Gais was not state owned,

5. Price of Electricity

• (a) The price of the electricity supplied by us is set out in our tariff structure, which is published by us from time to time.
    • (b) Our up-to-date tariff structure is displayed on our website or it may be obtained by contacting us in accordance with Condition 17.

By their t&c's they should be displayed on their website.

GeeNorm wrote: »
    Ha ha I came on this morning as I switched to Airtricity (10% discount) yesterday and was about to urge others to do the same.
    Might have to reneg now!

How long are is the Airtricity rate guaranteed for?

Looks like the Board Gais 10% is only for the first year, 5% for the next two!

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well said Colby Stale Creek. The leve of ignorance on here about this subject speaks volumes about why this country is in the shape it is today. FF voters every one of them too, I'll wager.
    Oh I think it's time people educated themselves on the workings of the electricity market.

ESB Networks will still read the meters, operate the distribution network and respond to any no-supply calls. You will just be billed by Bord Gais as the supplier. ESB makes very little profit from the Generation or Supply businesses it holds but profits more from the Distribution activity. The 3.5% rise (besides not having even a 0.2% affect on electricy costs) is irrelevant as the CER (Regulator) decides what payment per Unit ESB Networks gets form Bord Gais and others for the use of the distribution system. Most of ESB doesn't care who you actually buy your electricity from as long as you use plenty and it travels through their networks. The market has been open for years and most Industrial and Commercial customers (where the real profit is) have moved from ESB Customer Supply years ago.

By their t&c's they should be displayed on their website.

But its not :)
    Seems they rushed things alittle too quickly

Steady on dahamsta!

But its not :)
    Seems they rushed things alittle too quickly

• Advertisement

Listening to the regulator right now he mentions airtricity, would you like a price war? he is asked. Not that enthusiastic in his reply. Sounds like a bloody regulator alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement