Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

busman wrote: »

That was for the website!

The following are for supply

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/tcs_supply.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's about bloody time the market opened up in this country.

Look at the UK, there are about twenty suppliers, all competing and bringing out new prices all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Cabaal wrote: »
    But its not :)
    Seems they rushed things alittle too quickly

It is: http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/htm/residential_electricity/3_existing_customer/index.htm?layer=4

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

busman wrote: »
    That was for the website!

The following are for supply

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/tcs_supply.htm

It clearly says the tarriffs should be published and they are not....atleast in any detail which is pretty poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they will beat the ESB by 10% in year one and 5% in the next two years so the 14% will fall to 9% after 12 months.
    Guaranteed minimum savings of 10%* off ESB rates

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer. Terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

It clearly says the tarriffs should be published and they are not....atleast in any detail which is pretty poor

Agree, not much detail, the only rates they state is that they guarantee 10% discount on ESB rate for first year and min of 5% for second two.

Can anyone give any reason not to switch?

If they commit to being 10-14% cheaper with no drawbacks surely everyone in the country is going to switch.

There seems to be no barrier at all to switching (no new meter, no connection fee ...), so this seems like a no brainer.

I'm naturally suspicious when I see a no brainer. I wonder if it might be worth waiting a few weeks to see what (if anything) ESB responds with.

The tariff options are on the website in full detail. See here: http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/htm/residential_electricity/3_existing_customer/index.htm?layer=4

Is it just the Electricity market that has been opened up, or is it now possible for the ESB to get into the Gas market on the same basis?

My gas bill is higher than my electricity bill. If the ESB was to make a similar offering, I would be better off switching my gas account to the ESB. Does anyone know if the market is open to such a sceanario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Called BG and they sayed their internet connection is down.
    She said Tarfs are:
    24 hour:€16.75 per unit Vs ESB €18.61
    Night saver: per unit €7.90 Vs €19.89
    Night rate per unit€8.86 Vs 9.84
    Storage heating night same as night rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dvpower wrote: »
    There seems to be no barrier at all to switching (no new meter, no connection fee ...), so this seems like a no brainer.

I'm naturally suspicious when I see a no brainer. I wonder if it might be worth waiting a few weeks to see what (if anything) ESB responds with.

Oh I think it's time people educated themselves on the workings of the electricity market.

ESB are precluded by the regulator from charging anything other than the tariff set down so they can't respond. They wanted to reduce priecs last year and were not allowed. So no point waiting. Change to Bord Gais today.
    There can be no connection charge because the connection exists already, and no new meter as the meter belongs to ESB Networks.
    ESB Networks will still read the meters, operate the distribution network and respond to any no-supply calls. You will just be billed by Bord Gais as the supplier. ESB makes very little profit from the Generation or Supply businesses it holds but profits more from the Distribution activity. The Regulator decides what payment per Unit ESB Networks gets form Bord Gais and others for the use of the distribution system. Most of ESB doesn't care who you actually buy your electricity from as long as you use plenty and it travels through their networks. Bord Gais may even buy power from ESB Powergen if they sell more than they can generate themselves. The market has been open for years and most Industrial and Commercial customers (where the real profit is) have moved from ESB Customer Supply years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

ive switched over there, the only drawback so far was a 200 deposit ive to pay , even though im a gas customer for years, and have always payed my bill on time, just because they I don't own this house.

you get the depositi back after 6/7 bills

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

padocon wrote: »

I assume that it should be 9.89 versus 19.89? Otherwise that would be SOME saving :p

Oh I think it's time people educated themselves on the workings of the electricity market.

ESB are precluded by the regulator from charging anything other than the tariff set down so they can't respond. They wanted to reduce priecs last year and were not allowed. So no point waiting. Change to Bord Gais today.
    There can be no connection charge because the connection exists already, and no new meter as the meter belongs to ESB Networks.
    ESB Networks will still read the meters, operate the distribution network and respond to any no-supply calls. You will just be billed by Bord Gais as the supplier. ESB makes very little profit from the Generation or Supply businesses it holds but profits more from the Distribution activity. The Regulator decides what payment per Unit ESB Networks gets form Bord Gais and others for the use of the distribution system. Most of ESB doesn't care who you actually buy your electricity from as long as you use plenty and it travels through their networks. Bord Gais may even buy power from ESB Powergen if they sell more than they can generate themselves. The market has been open for years and most Industrial and Commercial customers (where the real profit is) have moved from ESB Customer Supply years ago.

Thanks for the info Colby Stale Creek. Could have done without the condescending tone 'though.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

She said Tarfs are:

Still didnt get it, airtricity still cheap if you go for ebill and DD

RBAN 24 HR -
    General Units - 24 Hr (kWh) - 14.92c
    Night Storage Heating Units (kWh) - 7.89c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

I’m a "Gas person"

Is there a minimum contract, e.g. if I move house / county / planet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok so Airtricity say 10% cheaper and Bord Gais are saying there even cheaper yet Airtricity appear to be actually cheaper numbers wise...am I missing something?

She said Tarfs are:

Those ESB prices look a little high to me
    Urban 24 Hour is
    General units (kWh) €0.1640
    Night storage heating units (kWh) €0.0867

Urban Night Saver is
    Day units (kWh) €0.1752
    Night units (kWh) €0.0867

Above details are taken from ESB website as of today and they match what Airtricity have here also - https://www.airtricity.com/ireland/switch_to_airtricity/switch_now/airtricity_your_airtricit/

I'm thinking she's got the numbers wrong by accident or she's lying, but then the Bord Gais website appears to be much higher also http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/htm/residential_electricity/3_existing_customer/index.htm?layer=4

Unless I am really missing something this offer is not as good as it first appeared

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

I'm thinking of changing my Electricity company but I don't know which company has more competitive prices.

Which company provides cheaper Electricity? Airtricity or Bord Gáis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its less than ESB for next 3 years then you are saving, if using airtricity saves more then go there.

edit! VAT not included in airtricity prices, it IS included is Bord Gas prices.

Prices break down as follows:

Take Urban 24 Hour Tarriff
    Bord Gais = Gener Units kWh 16.38 (with DD option only)

ESB = General units kWh 18.61

Airtricity = General Units kWh 17.12 (DD option only)

Click on the company names for full tarriff details from the company website.

So all in All Bord Gais is cheapest at present

EDIT: ALL PRICES INCLUDE VAT NOW at 13.5%!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

mike65 wrote: »
    If its less than ESB for next 3 years then you are saving, if using airtricity saves more then go there.

edit! VAT not included in airtricity prices, it IS included is Bord Gas prices.

And VAT is not included in the figure of 16.40 for the ESB above

Ah I think I see it, ESB prices don't appear to include VAT

I thought we got past that sneaky mentality a few years ago. It seems not.

Those ESB prices look a little high to me (...)
    That is because these prices include VAT while those on the esb website do not. Multiply them by 1.135 and you will be exactly where Bord Gais says. They took the rebate off the tariff including VAT which actually means a bigger saving than discounting the net amount only.
    I just checked my last esb bill and they charged me exactly 16.4 cent per unit plus 13.5% VAT. Last year the tariff stood at 15.97ct/unit though...

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If you already have gas with Bord Gáis, will there be any incentives if you switch to them for electricty too?
    yes afaik -you get a 14% discount.

Bord Gais undercutting another government owned body the ESB and thats called competition?
    I suppose this being a small island,it's all we can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Could ESB start selling cheaper Gas?

For me this would be a better way round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

So far I see no reason for not switching.
    Can anyone come up with one before I make the call?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement