Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

mfox wrote: »
    Based on my current bill I would save about €100 in my first year by switching my bill, however if I pay this €200 deposit I will loose €100. Even if I choose to set up a direct debit there is no benifit to be made.

You don't actually lose it. It's a deposit you get it back after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Any chance we can have Airtricity added to this poll too?
    I know BGE and getting all the coverage, but Airtricity are nearly as cheaper (possibly cheaper in long run after 1st year?) and some people might prefer supporting renewable energy.

Here here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Can someone explain point 3 on their website

"3.How often will I be billed?

We will bill you every two months, when we receive a meter reading or estimate from ESB Network
    "

Are ESB providing this info for nothing? Why would they be happy to share this info with their competitors rather than having their own meter reading guys to do it? What to esb gain out of giving this info to BG?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

If am just about to sort the electricity for my new build - I was looking at the BGE website and eirtrictiy website and they only mention switching do I have to get connected to the ESB first and then switch after, it's a bit of a pain if thats the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

anniehoo wrote: »
    Can someone explain point 3 on their website

Are ESB providing this info for nothing? Why would they be happy to share this info with their competitors rather than having their own meter reading guys to do it? What to esb gain out of giving this info to BG?

Here we go again. ESB Networks distribute the electricty. BGE generate and supply it. They pay ESB Networks a cost per Unit to use the Networks and ESB Networks read the meters, they bill BGE and all other suppliers for using the lines (giving them the readings of each meter which they use to bill you). They are not competitors of BGE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

rebellad wrote: »
    If am just about to sort the electricity for my new build - I was looking at the BGE website and eirtrictiy website and they only mention switching do I have to get connected to the ESB first and then switch after, it's a bit of a pain if thats the way...

My understanding is that with a new connection you apply to ESB Networks for the line to your house, including installation of the meter. You also apply to a Supply company (ESB Customer Supply, Bord Gais, Aitricity...) for your elctricity supply. If you don't opt for a supply company I think you default to ESB Customer Supply after a period of time. I'm sure if you phone the ESB Networks Call Centre (1850 373 999 ??) they will explain it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Any chance we can have Airtricity added to this poll too?
    I know BGE and getting all the coverage, but Airtricity are nearly as cheaper (possibly cheaper in long run after 1st year?) and some people might prefer supporting renewable energy.

Surely there's nothing stopping people from switching to BG now and then on to Airtricity in a year if they;re cheaper then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MOH wrote: »
    Surely there's nothing stopping people from switching to BG now and then on to Airtricity in a year if they;re cheaper then?

Nope there isn't, nothing there to stop people....of course it depends who's charging what and if its worth it.

The problems that BG will have with this is often older people are scared to switch and will only stay with the ESB because they fear change and think that Bord Gais will have to fix faults, read meters etc when in reality its still ESB Networks.

I for one have now switched...it was between BG and Airtricity for me...I was switching either way.
    Would have got 9% cheaper with Airtricity but got 12% cheaper with BG

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rebellad wrote: »

ESB Networks need to do the leg work to install the line, easiest way is get onto ESB to install the line/meter and activate the account with ESB then move to whoever you want :)

Its no different to if you want a phone line, sure there's BT, UTV, Smart Telecom etc but Eircom are still the only company you can install the line into your house...once its installed you can go where you want

Abit annoying but could be worse I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Here we go again.

Er thanks...but lose the sarcasm Colby Stale Creek!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Er thanks...but lose the sarcasm Srameen!:rolleyes:

I'd imagine Srameen is just getting tired of explaining the same thing over and over to correct people's incorrect assumptions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

switched my account today, woooo 14% discount.
    no deposit required.

might go and blow my savings on some bank shares.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 fistikuffs

They are "reselling" nothing. Bord Gais will generate the electricity (or buy any over and above what it can produce itself from other IPPs) and pay ESB to distribute the electricity to your home. Does the Carpet Manufacturer or Retailer "resell" you the delivery man who transports the carpet to their shop and then to your home?
    Pernickedey I know but let's get it right. :)

Maybe the fact the BG will eventually be providing some of the electricity will prevent any of that type of nonsense going on. The difference with BB was that eircom owned everything and none of the resellers have any control of the supply.

Anyway time to be a "band wagon jumping idiot"(??) and sign up. Cheaper electricity here i come! I have dreamed of this day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

fistikuffs wrote: »
    The difference with BB was that eircom owned everything and none of the resellers have any control of the supply.
    You've just demonstrated that you're not qualified to comment, and not just because you don't understand either ULL or bitstream broadband supply. You can't even read the thread you're commenting in, where this was already explained by at least two people.

Go and comment on something you have a clue about and stop wasting people's time.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭jaffa20

At least ESB don't have a massive connetion fee and deposit when you pay by direct debit, unlike Bord Gais :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Honest to god. The connection fee applies no matter who your supply is with, as it's installed by ESB Networks, who don't supply electricity at retail level.

The ESB deposit is required when you don't pay by DD. As far as I can see, the same applies with Bord Gais AND Airtricity.

adam

dahamsta wrote: »
    Honest to god. The connection fee applies no matter who your supply is with, as it's installed by ESB Networks, who don't supply electricity at retail level.

The ESB deposit is required when you don't pay by DD. As far as I can see, the same applies with Bord Gais AND Airtricity.

adam

I'm talking about renters though. They have to pay a connection fee when the landlord already paid it to have it transferred into your name. This is charged everytime you change address! :mad: And a 200euro deposit when paying by direct debit is ridiculous. They have the account details. What more do they want? ESB are a lot more reasonable in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 fistikuffs

dahamsta wrote: »
    You've just demonstrated that you're not qualified to comment, and not just because you don't understand either ULL or bitstream broadband supply. You can't even read the thread you're commenting in, where this was already explained by at least two people.

Go and comment on something you have a clue about and stop wasting people's time.

adam

You've just demonstrated that your a cock. "Not qualified to comment" wtf does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

jaffa20 wrote: »
    At least ESB don't have a massive connetion fee and deposit when you pay by direct debit, unlike Bord Gais :mad:

i dont have to pay a deposit to bg, and i changed tonight.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    i dont have to pay a deposit to bg, and i changed tonight.

Homeowners don't have pay it. Their mortgage payers do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I'm talking about renters though. They have to pay a connection fee when the landlord already paid it to have it transferred into your name. This is charged everytime you change address! :mad:
    News to me, I've been renting for the past 3+ years, in 3 different properties..
    And a 200euro deposit when paying by direct debit is ridiculous. They have the account details. What more do they want? ESB are a lot more reasonable in this regard.
    Never had to pay a deposit either. I pay by DD.

benifa wrote: »
    News to me, I've been renting for the past 3+ years, in 3 different properties..

Never had to pay a deposit either. I pay by DD.

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/htm/residential/2_become_customer/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thinking of changing to Airtricity today, because of green reasons, and because they're cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Link says "If your meter is locked please call 1850 632 632 and we will make an appointment with you to unlock your meter. You will be charged a connection fee of €115, this will be applied to your first bill."

So, only if the meter is locked do you have to pay the €115 connection charge.

Regarding the €200 deposit, even if you elect to pay by DD, yeah, that's certainly news to me alright. I've personally never had to pay it. Maybe I was just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

luckat wrote: »
    Thinking of changing to Airtricity today, because of green reasons, and because they're cheaper too.

the only problem with Airtricity is that they are part of the 2nd biggest energy company(SSE) in the whole of the UK and Ireland, have have over 9 MILLION customers,
    whereas Bord Gais are a small company with only 400,000 customers, so sometimes it's nice to support the little indigenous company even if Airtricity's parent have an award winning customer service.

Big is not always beautiful, and besides by purchasing electricity from Bord Gais I'm sure you're reclaiming back some of the excess price you're paying them for your gas, so you should end up neutral :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭broadsheet

This move is great for householders, the more players that enter this market the better.

Now we need competition within our transport system, rail especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Switched to BG - so easy to do online. Will be interesting to see how the savings work out. Must make sure that in the back of my mind the heating isn't left on a bit longer etc. with a subconscious "well I am saving 14%"... :D

Delighted to see competition in the market - there's nothing stopping the ESB from making efforts to retain their customers. There have been no efforts to reward loyal customers, incentives for paying bill in full on time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Cabaal wrote: »
    So you believe that Bord Gais one powere station which does not even start to operate till November 2009 and won't be 100% operational till April 2010 will supply 100% of power they require or that they won't buy power from ESB Networks which they will resell?

Bord Gais own 4 wind farms, but you are correct they are reselling esb electricity and using their facilities, the power station opening up is so that when the 3yr promise runs out (or the regulator) drops esb prices that bord gais can still sell at a competitive price

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Cork_girl wrote: »
    ...Delighted to see competition in the market - there's nothing stopping the ESB from making efforts to retain their customers. There have been no efforts to reward loyal customers, incentives for paying bill in full on time etc.

ESB is committed to working with the Regulator to reduce its dominant share of the domestic electricity market. It fully expects to lose hundreds of thousands of customers to Bord Gais and others over the next few years. It is not interested therefore in retaining customers by offering them incentives and the like: that would run counter to the drive to reduce its dominance. That is also why ESB prices will remain higher than its competitors for the foreseeable future as, otherwise, why would customers bother to switch?

When it is no longer the dominant supplier (probably when it has 50% or less of the customer market) it will have its regulatory restrictions lifted and will then be able to compete on an equal basis and will be able to offer attractive prices. The sooner this happens the better for ESB - and for customers - so it is not in the least bit worried about the current rush to switch. It would be very concerned if it did not happen. It might seem strange that a company is so philosophical about losing customers but that is the price ESB has to pay in the interests of the greater good.

All this of course is masterminded by the Regulator so ESB customers are paying more than they really need to in order to encourage customers to go and in this way real competition will eventually be delivered. At the moment ESB has its hands tied behind its back so that the regulatory targets can be delivered.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 corktom

Just switched online. My 2 fingers to the ESB giving their overpaid staff 3% and saved 12% as well. Win win situ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement