Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Bit of a mess day with a mate, just wanted to get bench done as my main goal.

Bench:
    40kg -1x5
    50kg -1x5
    60kg -1x1
    67.5kg-2x5
    67.5kg-1x3 (almost 4)

Pullups:
    Bw -1x8 (each started with feet on the ground)

Leg press:
    250kg -3x8

Messing on 4 different hammer strength machines:
    5 minutes :P

Sprint:
    1 attempt :P

Thoughts:
    I just wanted to get up and do bench, cause i knew i had it in me.I forgot chalk and my hands where slipping big time which is why i missed my 4 rep for definite. I porbably would have got the 5th aswell if the third wasnt so dodgy, the bar dropped at an angle and i had to muscle it out. Took alot out of me.
    ---
    My mate wanted to do leg press and sprints and he wont let me get him on squats as he thinks they are bad for the knees( i know i know, he also asked me if u inject creatine). Pullups where just a filler really, got bored :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If he asks you that again, slap him. Hard. Also some upper back work might help the deadlift lockout.

its weird
    Conventional= hard off the ground, easy lock out
    Sumo = easy of the ground, hard lock out
    And i had no plans for today as it was just extra work, if i get up tommorow im probably gonna hit hams and abs.

Well upper back work should be good for either deadlift, if its hard off the ground in conventional, perhaps video it and see if your stance is right and stuff. Push through your heels and push the ground away from you, it makes a big difference imo.

My height is a bitch when it comes to deadlifting, id say ill move to sumo eventually. Im pretty confident in my stance on deadlifts, i keep my feet about 14 inches apart i think

• Advertisement

If you can squat below parallel then I don't see why your height should cause any serious problems while deadlifting, but perhaps I'm wrong. I think with conventional deadlift you want your feet somewhere between hip and shoulder width apart. A general guideline is just to take a standing jump and see where your feet end up, that should be the correct stance.

well maybe a more correct term would be my "layout", like arms:legs:torso ratio. ive never measured it but it cant be good. id rather longer arms and shorter mid section

Did extremely little today, not even in gym, i just got bored and decided to do a tiny bit in my shed.

25KG Dumbell:
    1 arm row 3x8, each arm
    1 arm bench press 3x8 each arm
    1 arm power cleans 3x??

30Kg Barbell:
    some push presses, power cleans and front squats

There was no rest in between any sets, it was more to tire me out then to work any muscle group in paticular.

OMG 1000 views!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

My height is a bitch when it comes to deadlifting, id say ill move to sumo eventually. Im pretty confident in my stance on deadlifts, i keep my feet about 14 inches apart i think

conventional is better for someone who is tall. You will be making the most of your leverages - once the bar gets off the ground, youll get a lot of momentum and be able to lock it out easier

• Advertisement

oh, i thought it would be the opposite, cheers.
    Edit: that explains why i found lock out on it easier than sumo.

Ok Day #13

Monday May 11th:
    Warm ups:
    Leg swings and hip circles(cheers big star!)
    Front squat 1x2 Oly bar
    some hamstring stretches
    Squats
    Bw 1x10
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x5
    60kg -1x3
    70kg -1x1
    75kg -3x5
    ---
    Shoulder press
    Oly bar -1x10
    30kg -1x5
    40kg -1x3
    45kg -1x5
    ---
    Power Cleans
    Oly bar-1x10
    40kg -1x8
    55kg -3x5 (so happy!)
    ---
    Pull ups
    1x8
    1x6
    ---
    Assistance
    ---
    Lying hamstring curly thingy:
    40kg -1X8
    45kg -2x8
    25kg -1x6(per leg)
    ---
    Abb Pulldowns:
    95kg(full stack oh yea!) 3x15
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Extremely happy overall today, just everything went well, changed stance and grip on a few things, and it just went way better. No failures either so score!
    ---
    Im using a narrower stance on squats from now on, just slightly wider than shoulders, and i got much lower and im much happier, im definatly moving up the next day if im not knackered, cause although these where hard, they where good!
    ---
    Shoulder press: Im getting much steadier on these. I was close to suing kevpants over these though! On my warm up i was using the technique he told me, aka force my head forward and i hit the bar off my nose and nearly broke it! Quite funny:P. My worksets where much more powerful today aswell.
    ---
    Powercleans!!!!!!! The main event of the day :P.G'em would be proud :D, i used a much narrower grip today, a bit wider than deadlift grip, and i felt the pull alot more. I had alot of an easier time gettin it to the top. I also went slower on they way down and really felt it on my biceps.
    ---
    All in all, today kicked ass!

Friday May 8th:
    Ok Day 12

Big stars squat warm ups( they really kick ass)

Squats
    (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x5
    50kg -1x5
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x1
    75kg -1x1 77.5kg -2x5 1x4 1x0 1x1---PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ---
    Deadlifts
    40kg -1x10
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x5
    95kg -1x5
    ---
    Bench Press
    40kg -1x10
    50kg -1x10
    60kg -1x1
    65kg -3x5 (fast)
    ---
    Dips
    1x8
    1x8
    ---
    Assistance
    ---
    Lying leg curl
    45kg -1x8
    50kg -2x8---PR
    25kg -1x8 per leg
    ---
    Abb Pulldowns
    95kg(full stack) -3x15

setted with
    Facepulls
    50kg -3x8
    ---
    Thoughts:
    It was my birthday today and as u can see i celebrated with a new pr on squats!!!! Best prezzy ever :P. I didnt sleep at all last night and i was just fcked going into the gym, so im really happy
    ---
    Squats where animal! I got the first 2 sets below parallell(my knees where the highest point of my leg) and then on my last set the 3rd rep was high and the final rep was high, both by about an inch so no biggy.I walked out of the squat rack with 75kg on my back and was thinking " ill stick to this today cause im tired, then i did a rep and just thought "fck this, moar weight!!" I can say that since i joined boards.ie ive gotten 12-13 inches lower on my squats :P. My second set break was 6 minutes bending out a window waiting to vomit. I was nearly 100% sure i was gonna. So tired!
    ---
    I did deadlfts side ways in the rack to check my back and i noticed one thing. My lower back is straight as an arrow, but my upper back starts to round as im nearing the top of the rep, its not even cause its hard, its like it just happens, really gonna try and work at this cause i dont wanna go heavier with this problem. I mean the weight is so easy but if im rounding im not budging on weight.
    ---
    After the above i decided to take bench easy and stuck with 65kg, really easy, definatly think ill get 67.5kg with my squats the next day.
    ---
    happy with dips, deep reps.
    ---
    Leg curl is getting stronger, and my hamstrings feel bigger.
    ---
    Abb pulldowns setted with face pulls where good. on the face pulls i kinda shrugged first then pulled, felt it more i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

glad the warm ups are helping, you should you tube squat rx i found a lot of good stuff there, theres like 20 odd videos! heres 1

oh and
    Happy%2520birthday%2520cake.jpg

cheers bigstar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

What age are you now..........12?:p

16, go do some bicep curls :P

16, go do some bicep curls :P

EDIT: on second thoughts knowing my luck i'd be banned for saying that!

All this curl business is drifters fault.... i dont actually curl that often, and its generally an ad afterthought!! i spent my first year not curling at all!! grrrrr

My upper back rounds like that too, unless you think its really excessive (think chin coming to meet your breast bone) it shouldn't be a big deal. I think starting strength says that you should have your shoulder blades pinched on the deadlift like every other lift, but I'm not sure that's really possible/practical. Also I noticed my training partner who's a lot shorter than me doesn't round in the upper back half as much. At your height I would think its inevitable. Well done on the squat pr, its a great feeling huh? almost as good as the accompanying nausea!

thanks brian, nice to know im not alone. on this video here my upper back just kinda slouches around at the 50 second mark of this guys vid . Its not even like the bar is heavy!

And yea, pr on squat is one of my greatest feelings. I know in a few weeks when i look back on this , ill think my squat didnt progress much, but then ill realise, my depth is so much lower. I could be doing half squats with 100kg like the rest of the idiots in my gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

I think starting strength says that you should have your shoulder blades pinched on the deadlift like every other lift.

No, it doesn't say that in Starting Strength.
    And your right it wouldn't be possible to keep them pinched together, while deadlifting.

Ok Day #15

Friday May 15th:
    Warm ups:
    Leg swings and hip circles
    Front squat 1x2 Oly bar- real deep
    some hamstring stretches

Squats

Bw 1x10
    Oly bar -1x3
    40kg -1x2
    60kg -1x1
    70kg -1x1
    75kg -1x1
    77.5kg -3x5---PB Reps By a mighty 1 rep!
    ---
    Shoulder press
    Oly bar -1x10
    30kg -1x5
    40kg -1x3
    45kg -1x5
    ---
    Power Cleans
    Oly bar-1x10
    40kg -1x8
    55kg -3x5
    ---
    Dips
    1x8
    1x9
    ---
    Assistance
    ---
    Lying hamstring curly thingy:
    55kg -1X8
    55kg -1x3
    50kg -2x8
    45kg -1x12
    ---
    Abb Pulldowns:
    95kg(full stack) 3x15 setted with

Face Pulls with shrug:
    55kg 3x8 ---Pb Weight i think
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Good day today, was very hot in the gym, but it didnt put me off to much. Just glad to get up and work
    ---
    Squats where good, first set was fine and so was majority of 2nd set, third set was a bit hit and miss on depth. More in my head than anything, ill be happy with it soon enough id say.
    ---
    Shoulder press:Absolutly Freaking piss. i used a narrower girp and im kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I was using a bench grip earlier(pinky on rings) and today i moved in a few inches and the bar went up much easier, i also got the bar down to my chin on all reps. My breaks between reps and sets was also smaller today as the weight just felt easy, moving up next day.
    ---
    Good power cleans today. Had one failure cause i thought someone was about to walk into my bar. Im really loving these.
    ---
    Dips where good, first time getting 9 on a set, gonna push for 10 and 10.
    ---
    Really felt abb pulldowns and face pulls, they are both getting easier though, gonna have to increase reps on pulldowns soon.
    ---
    Hamstring curly thing is one of my favorite weight machine. Really feel it after. 55kg felt a bit to heavy for me and i wasnt getting full ROM reps.
    ---
    I got a pull up bar the other day and im doing about 25 pull ups a day at home, so im only gonna do dips in the gym.

Dude i'm starting to doubt if you're 16................... sick lifting!!:)

Dude i'm starting to doubt if you're 16................... sick lifting!!:)

Cheers, pisses me off though that someone who squats once a year can front squat 100kilos :P

Cheers, pisses me off though that someone who squats once a year can front squat 100kilos :P

hahahaha

i have to have built up some leg strength lift the old dumbells up to curl em like!!:cool:

i was actually gonna mention the curls in my last post but i left it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

kevpants wrote: »
    Yeah Ripp is kinda full of crap though. Looking down in the squat is just ridiculous. How are you suppoed to keep your chest up and look down at the same time? He's wrong on the elbows too, trust me I've tried both.

Yea, after a few weeks trying it his way, i think you may be right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Nice work sticking to Starting Strength, a lot of people get bored and drop off it quickly. You're doing well, I've got a couple of tips that helped me when I was on SS.

Make the jumps on the shoulder press nice and small, a 1kg jump each session adds up pretty quickly. Don't be greedy with this lift, a missed set will set you back further than a miss on the squat.

Do your power cleans in 5 sets of 3, not 3 sets of 5. Rip talks a bit about it in Practical Programming. It's to ensure your technique stays good. It helped me a lot, it allowed me to lift heavier as the sets were shorter and meant fatigue didn't mess up my last couple of reps.

Attack each set with a junkyard dog attitude. Mike Burgener, CrossFit's Oly lifting coach talks about how "Bad technique but a ferocious, mean as hell attitude gets 3 green lights". I'm not telling you to excuse bad technique but rather to get angry with that bar. When you get under that bar expect to complete the set, don't get under the bar until you think that.

If those points help, great. If not, ignore me and just keep lifting! I'll look forward to seeing your progress with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got a pull up bar the other day and im doing about 25 pull ups a day at home, so im only gonna do dips in the gym.
    Hope you don't really mean pullups everyday, you need a rest which I am sure you know. Also are you doing pullups (palms away) or chinups (palms facing). If you are following SS I think Rippetoe might recommend whatever is easier, and I think 95%+ of people can manage more chinups than pullups. Have a read here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055237263

I used to aim for 8-10 reps, so my first set would be pullups, then change to chins, this meant I could match each set rep for rep, doing the easier chins last.

Good luck on the 10dips, once you hit it you might start adding weights.

• Advertisement

thanks boby and rubadub, will change power cleans to 5x3 then. I kinda did notice my form going to Sh1te towards the end of the set tbh.
    In regards to the shoulder press, the minimum i can go up is 2.5kg as i have no smaller plates.
    And i recently started going in angry :P, not as bad as hanley now (people can understand what im saying :P) but fairly angry.
    I wasnt sure if id need the rest on pullups but i take heed of your warning, id never do them in one sitting, it was usualyl spaced throughout the day.
    And my plan is once i get 10 and 10 im doing weighted :)

Advertisement