Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options
  • 14-04-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Well, I finally decided after reading through everyone elses logs for the last while that it was time for me to start one.

Bit of background info: Im 194cm and 87Kg and 15years old(16 in may!), Ive been in the gym since september now and have come down from a peak of 107Kg, ive gotten alot stronger and alot fitter, so i have the motivation for now :). All my lifts have doubled since then so im looking to keep up the progress.

Im Currently doing the Starting Strength routine, and will probably keep with it for a while as my gains are coming along.

Im aiming for increased strength and fatloss at the moment until i get leaner, from then ill start bulking like hell.

Well without further adue, lets go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Ok Day #1

Monday April 13th:

Standing shoulder press
    Oly bar -1x10
    30kg -1x8
    35kg -1x5
    37.5kg -3x5 ----PB
    ---
    Squats (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x20
    40kg -1x10
    50kg -1x8
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x5
    75kg -3x5
    ---
    Pendlay rows (attempted anyway)
    Oly bar -1x10
    30kg -1x8
    40kg -1x8
    57.5kg -3x5
    ---
    Chin Ups(Close grip)
    2X6
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Squats and Standing Shoulder Press felt very good, form was good, and i didnt lose balance on either.

Training barefoot was a good idea for the shoulder press.

Also happy with the PB on shoulder press.
    Tried that weight last week and couldnt do it for one set :)

Thinking of just doing power cleans instead of alternating them with Pendlays, my form on pendlays feels very week and i feel cleans will do more.

Also would like to thank Bossarky for his format :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Hugh Mongus

I've read some of your posts on the forum and I must say you've got your head screwed on well for a 15 yr old. Best of luck with the log.

thank you :D, when i first came here i was a bit of an idiot and thought i knew everything, then some of ya set me straight so ive been listening as best as i can :).

Ok Day #2

Wednesday April 15th:

Bench Press
    Oly bar -1x15
    40kg -1x8
    60kg -1x2
    62.5kg -3x5
    ---
    Squats (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x20
    40kg -1x10
    50kg -1x8
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x5
    75kg -2x5
    75kg -1x4 +1x1
    ---
    Deadlifts
    40kg -1x10
    70kg -1x5
    80kg -1x4
    90kg -1x5
    ---
    Dips
    1x7
    1x5 (deep breath)1x2
    ---
    Thoughts:
    First time ive ever failed on a squat rep. It was the second set, the fourth rep felt really powerful and fast, then went down too fast on the 5th rep and fell over, so reset and did it again. No worries :)
    ---
    Deadlifts where brilliant, ive been checking form for the last while so havent moved up but i think it will be ok to move up in weight next session. Back was definitely straight so was happy, also did 70kg warm up double overhand!
    ---
    Bench was happily done, first and second set where worrying as they where slow, but i asked a spotter to help me derack on the 3rd set and it was fast and powerful. Bring on 65!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Holy shiznits bro! Keep up the good work, you're gonna be a freak when ya turn eighteen haha!

I'll be readin' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I told ya i'd read it and here i am :D

Looks deadly man, as funkz said, when your 18 you'll be a beast :P (I'm 18 tomorrow and regretting not starting weights when i was your age :P)

thanks for all the nice comments guys and i hope to keep it up :)

Ok Day #23

Friday April 17th:

Shoulder press
    Oly bar -1x10
    30kg -1x8
    40kg -3x5---PB

---
    Squats (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x10
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x1
    75kg -3x5
    ---
    Power Cleans
    Oly bar-1x10
    30kg -1x5
    50kg -1x6---PB
    50kg -2x5---PB
    50kg -1x1---PB
    ---
    Pull Ups
    1x6
    1x5 (deep breath)1x1
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Squats felt smooth, all reps where good, im gonna keep on this weight till im happy with depth. Should be about a week.
    ---
    Im delighted with Shoulder Press, have been working towards 40kg for the last 3 weeks, all reps felt smooth and powerful, next day im gonna get the bar down to my chest as about 80% of them today where just to below chin.
    ---
    Power cleans where good, first set i wasnt sure how many reps i had done so i did what i think was 6 to be sure, second set was very good. On the third set i wasnt happy with my last rep so i reset and did it again.
    ---
    Pull ups where good also, i didnt relax my arms completely at the bottom but was close enough, i did 6 the first set and the 2nd set i only got 5 so i reset and did another one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Man, you are young. Wish I had started at your age.

When the rest of us staggering around with our zimmerframes you'll be juggling the lead role in Terminator 17 with governor of California. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Agree with the rest, wish I had started training at your age. You've got a golden opportunity atm, once you have access to weights and good nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Good stuff, like everyone has said, you are way ahead of the field and your lifts are very impressive

keep those prs coming!

jeez, thanks for all the nice comments :), i hope to keep it up anyway, im struggling to stay out of the weight room on weekends :)

Ok Day #4

Monday April 20th:

Bench Press
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x10
    60kg -1x1
    65kg -3x5---PB(Raaaar!!!)
    ---
    Squats (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x20
    40kg -1x10
    60kg -1x5
    75kg -3x5
    ---
    Deadlifts
    40kg -1x10
    70kg -1x5
    95kg -1x5---PB(woo!)
    ---
    Dips
    1x5
    1x5
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Squats where steady and strong, although i was shaking at the start from excitement from bench! nothing really more to tell, happy with depth and speed.
    ---
    I loved my deadlifts, finally decided to move up again and glad i did, they felt hard, but my back was straight so i was happy, although im not leading with my chest enough.
    ---
    Bench was beastly! 65!!!!! Woo! I was shaking like a banana tree by the last set and the 5th rep the bar was literally shaking back and forward, but i had a spotter, so i said balls to that and got it grand! followed by a quick high 5 with the guy on the bench beside me :D. I was chuffed for the rest of the day.
    ---
    Dips where bad but im not surprised, knackered from the bench at this stage

Grats on the bench mate! Your gonna overtake me by a mile, not gonna be in the gym myself for 2 months!

haha :D cheers

Ok Day #5

Wednesday April 22th:

Shoulder press
    Oly bar -1x10
    30kg -1x5
    40kg -3x5
    ---
    Squats
    Oly bar -1x10 (wide stance, but narrower than usual)
    40kg -1x10 (same as above)
    60kg -1x5 (same as above)
    60kg -1x5 (wide stance)
    75kg -3x5 (wide stance)
    ---
    Power Cleans
    Oly bar-1x10
    40kg -1x8
    50kg -3x5
    ---
    Pull Ups
    1x5
    1x5
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Was extremely tired today so wasnt expecting much, just tried to equal my usual lifts. I only got about 5 hours sleep last night and was doing alot of walking today in school. Then when i got to the gym these idiots beside me doing sitting shoulder press kept smashing the weights together at the top of the reps, really broke my concentration. But i think i salvaged it and im happy with my results looking back on it.
    ---
    Squats where slow, all reps where good, no failures, but had some risky ones where i dpped forward but kept it in check. On the second set my hands got pins and needles and eventually numb which was pissing me off
    ---
    Shoulder Press was really slow but got all reps so was happy, my hands where sweaty so they kept slipping down the bar which was annoying, the last set was unbelievably slow reps, like 4 seconds getting the bar up :).
    ---
    Power cleans where good, better than last week, at the end of each set i tired to push it up into a shoulder press with leg assistance :D failed on each attempt because i was too knackered.
    ---
    Pull ups where pretty bad, didnt get 6 reps and they werent full, but im putting it down to being really tired, am looking forward to a good night sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Solid training man! You'll be seeing good gains in the coming years

Kev M wrote: »
    Solid training man! You'll be seeing good gains in the coming years

cheers :) everyones so nice around here

Ok Day #6

Friday April 24th:

Bench Press
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x10
    60kg -1x1
    65kg -3x5
    ---
    Squats (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x10
    60kg -1x5
    75kg -2x2 2x5 1x4(ill explain)
    ---
    Deadlifts
    40kg -1x10
    70kg -1x5
    90kg -1x5
    ---
    Dips
    1x7
    1x7
    Swimming
    1 Hour water polo, deep end of pool feet didnt touch the bottom once. score!
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Funny squats today, on my work set of 75 i was starting off and did 2 reps, then noticed the cage was set low so reracked and called it a warmup :). Then i cracked out 2 more sets. On my third set when i was extremely happy, cause all reps where real fast and deep , i lost focus laughing at this guy doing really high squats beside me (im mean :D) and i went down to fast and had to dump it.I got pissed reracked and did another 2 rep set. Ill be moving up next day cause these where P!ss. Cant Wait!
    ---
    Deadlifts where grand, didnt load the bar up heavy enough and only noticed as i was finished my set. They felt good, back was straight. Although ive noticed my deadlift is nearly a romanian deadlift at the moment, i find it hard to get off the ground with my legs and i feel its limiting the weight i can handle, any tips anyone?
    ---
    Delighted with the bench, much better than last day, all reps where pretty fast and there was nothing worrying, i took nice long breaks between sets and had no problems with reps. Also all reps where legit today as i hadnt got a spotter to touch the bar :)
    ---
    Dips where good, first set was fast as always , and the 2nd set had about 5 singles and 2 quick ones :D.
    ---
    All in all im pretty happy and felt great leaving the gym.The swimming was nice also, an hour of constant water threading really kills the legs :)

Nice one mate, and i love water polo :D

Btw, most of the places you have "where" in your last post should be "were" :P

• Advertisement

Can you make a video of your deadlift next time so people will know how to help you fix your form dude?

methinks i have no camera, must try sort that out, the form isnt "bad" persay, more limiting as to what i can lift, ill try get one soon.

Oh and wolfy, leave my grammer alone!

Ok Day #7

Monday April 27th:

Shoulder press
    Oly bar -1x10
    30kg -1x5
    42.5kg -3x5----PB
    ---
    Squats (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x5
    60kg -1x3
    75kg -2x5 1x4 1x1
    ---
    Power Cleans
    Oly bar-1x10
    40kg -1x8
    50kg -3x5
    ---
    Pull Ups
    1x5
    1x5
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Not a bad day, got up early and just got up to the gym, weather put me in a good mood.
    ---
    I was thinking of going up in weight in squats, but i realised i wasnt hitting paralell, so im gonna focus on form for a while at this weight, i got lower than usual, im feeling a pull at my groin area though as i go lower, not sure if this is just cause its tight. The reps where much harder today and i couldnt find my groove on the bar, especially on my last set, then i dropped it a bit to fast and couldnt get it back up, grrr. These squat failures are annoying me, but arent scaring me any more, all in all, squats are getting much better.
    ---
    Shoulder press:I did not think this was gonna happen, i really felt i was gonna fail on the first set, i picked up the bar and it felt really slippery so i threw on my mountain biking gloves, i figured they cost me 60€ might aswell use them, i had forgotten my chalk so i had no other choice really :D. The reps where good, lower than usual and some where pretty fast. When i picked up the bar at the start of my first set i reracked it and pulled of the springs to lighten the weight :D
    ---
    Power cleans keep getting better each week, form was really good on the first and 3rd set as i was explosive, 2nd set was a bit slow but still ok
    ---
    Pull ups alright, i didnt go to failure on either set, but i got pretty close
    ---
    just have a question for anyone reading this, on shoulder press i take my breather between reps at the top , aka i hold it above my head and breath. i cant seem to get it to rest comforatbly on my chest, is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i try to hold my breath as i do reps, but by the last set im usually breathing between each rep with the bar over my head. it feels ok on my chest, but i dont rest it there long i just try to press and then re-rack asap.

thats impressive pressing, your already at 42.5kg. also impressive weight loss, 20kg since september, fair play.

can i ask how strict your form is on the OH press. mines gone to sh1t and im thinking of dropping the weight and concentrating on form.

well theres absolutly no leg drive, im 100% sure of that, but on the way up i kind of have to go on my toes and sides of feet a bit to keep standing up, i usually have one foot about 1 foot and a half behind another to keep balance. cheers for the nice comments btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Very impressive log!! Fair play man.

Just seen your question about the shoulder press. To get used to holding the bar on your chest you could try this:

Rack the bar at the height you would use for the o/h press and take your normal grip. Move in as you would to take it but leave it there (on the rack) and roll your elbows up and down towards the bar(while trying to keep your grip). I used this and it increased the flexibility in my shoulders which allowed me to hold the bar there comfortably after each rep. This worked for me so might be worth a shot.

Its a sad day for me when 15 year olds are pressing the same weight as I use. :( Good work keep it up dude, maybe drop the weight on the squats by ten kilos though and focus on improving the form and getting every lift. Sometimes I have a little tightness in the groinal area too, maybe do a bit more mobility work before and after squatting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

When you are overhead pressing you should concentrate on driving your head and torso forward (not your arms back) as you press overhead. Concentrate on trying to do that, it should help the stability.

cheers all and brian im nearly 16!.To be honest i dont think theres a need to drop back the weight as most of my fails have been lack of concentration and dropping to fast. Im just gonna stick to this weight for a while see where i get, i also managed to uproot a camera and all going well ill try bring it up with me wednesday for deadlift and squat vids

• Advertisement

Ok Day #8

Wednesday April 29th:

Bench Press
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x10
    65kg -3x5
    ---
    Squats (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x5
    40kg -1x5
    60kg -1x5
    75kg -3x5
    ---
    Deadlifts
    40kg -1x10
    80kg -1x5
    95kg -1x5
    ---
    Pull Ups
    1x8
    1x5
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Squats keep getting better, the form in the video was a bit shaky but during my worksets i was alot more stable, and i am getting lower each week
    ---
    Deadlifts where cool, i brought the camera for these bad boys and they werent as bad as i was expecting, i have slight rounding at the top but thats due to posture.
    ---
    Bench is getting easier, gonna go to 67.5 next week, drawing closer on my 70 kilo goal. delighted
    ---
    Did pullups instead of dips by accident today, they where good happy with the first set
    ---
    If i can figure out how to embed this video now ill be sorted

Advertisement