Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJLqdQs7kbk
    if someone could embed this please :D . Oh and u know u want those shorts, and the guy in the video messing is my mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Squats don't look too bad, could be a bit deeper but better than a lot I see in the gym. That'll come in time I guess. The deadlifts on the other hand, I think the rounding on a few of those reps was excessive, if you can't do them without that happening then drop the weight 20 kilos and work on form. I think pull thrus would be beneficial for both those lifts, would work on the hip hinge effect. just my opinion.

alright cheers, im gonna bring the camera with me again and film my next deads and really really focus on form, that should be around monday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

To embed you need to put the part after the "=" within the youtube tags (2nd button from the top right of the box where you type posts).

Here it is:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Your descent may be a bit too fast on the squat. If the weight is heavier you'll run the risk of getting buried.

Also, walk totally into the pins before leaving the bar down. You seem to be standing at an angle when re-racking. this could get dangerous with heavier weight.

As Brian said your rounding a bit on the deadlift. Don't push the weight too much higher until you are more used to the movement with better form.

Good first video though. I liked the comments at the end :)

edit - these are just some quick comments from half watching the vid out of the corner of my eye in a tiny browser whilst at work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Set up: You're rushing out. This will KILL you when the weight gets heavy. Stand up with the weight, let it settle, take 2 or max 3 steps back and then squat. Work on getting every set the same and you'll save so much energy.

First rep: Depth's perfect, but you're dropping in too fast. Again, you get away with it on light weights, but heavy ones will kill you.

Second rep:
    Ya never locked out the first once and just dropped back in again. Looked way too loose and cut it a bit high. Finish your rep, pick your chest up and go again. No need for a prolonged pause, but don't just drop and go.

Third rep: again, cut a bit high by PL standards, and WTF are you doing taking a step on the way up???? :s

Fourth and Fifth rep:
    Again a bit high, fifth was better tho. Both looked under control and good.

Re-Rack: Like the take out, you're racing back. Let the weight settle at the top of the last rep before walking it in. Try not to go up on your toes either, and come in with your feet square. You'll get away with it with light weights, but not heavy ones.

Other points:
    I don't think there's much else to say about the squat, I'd like to see you force your elbows forward more (ie get them under the bar - you won't, but that's what you're trying to do!!). Your form's A LOT better than mine was when I was 15, and almost 16 ;)

Good Show!!

Deadlift comments later.

cheers hanley, nice to see where i went wrong, btw i didnt step forward, moved my feet in closer together, i felt i the width of my stance wasnt allowing me to go as low but it didnt really make much more of a difference. Gonna try do more filming tho. On average , how much lower do u think id have to go to get 3 whites if i ever thought of competing? Looking back im pissed at my deads form. But on the plus side, i finally got a good arch on my bench(shoulda got a vid)

Edit: I realised there on reading back through my log and your comments that all my failures have been to do with dropping to fast, must improve that, definatly more vids to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

cheers hanley, nice to see where i went wrong, btw i didnt step forward, moved my feet in closer together, i felt i the width of my stance wasnt allowing me to go as low but it didnt really make much more of a difference. Gonna try do more filming tho. On average , how much lower do u think id have to go to get 3 whites if i ever thought of competing? Looking back im pissed at my deads form. But on the plus side, i finally got a good arch on my bench(shoulda got a vid)

I dunno how you manage to bench properly on the benches out in TF: Sandyford, I've tried it a few times and found it a pain in the arse!!

yea, they can be a bit awkward, my shoulder base feels a bit wide for them and i kinda feel like im gonna fall off them, and when do u train in my local?:D

Malteaser! wrote: »
    I dunno how you manage to bench properly on the benches out in TF: Sandyford, I've tried it a few times and found it a pain in the arse!!

Serious +1

The biggest problem is that the racks so low you have to do a pullover to take the bar out.

• Advertisement

the rack being low sucks so much when i have no spotter, it feels like im doing a floor press

Stop shillin ur workout in my log!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lol!

well i read the thing in the other thread and it pissed me off alot :D.

Ok Day #9

Friday May 1st:

Shoulder press
    Oly bar -1x10
    30kg -1x5
    40kg -1x5
    45kg -1x5
    ---
    Squats
    Oly bar -1x10 (slightly narrower stance)
    40kg -1x5
    45kg -1x5
    50kg -1x5
    60kg -1x5
    75kg -3x5
    ---
    Power Cleans
    Oly bar-1x10
    40kg -1x8
    50kg -2x3 2x5 (ugly)
    ---
    Dips
    1x6
    1x6
    ---
    Assistance
    ---
    Lying hamstring curly thingy:
    40KG-3X8
    ---
    SLDL:
    60KG-3X8
    ---
    Thoughts:
    I was seriously pissed training today, sh!t weather, bro robbed my mp3 player and cycling up was a pain. But it went well.
    I always hear people complaining about weak hamstrings holding them back so i decided to strengthen mine for fun. The leg curl thingy is awesome. could barely raise my legs behind me after it :D. I think my hamstrings must be pretty weak cause i only got 40kg on the machine.
    ---
    I decided to nip squats in the a$$ today in regards to depth. I did alot more warm up sets and got the same depth on them all, im pretty sure it was all phycological. In the last week ive had to lower the cage bars down one to allow me to go lower :D so this week has been a success. All my sets had the same depth and where all good aside from my 3rd one. The first 3 reps in third set where a bit high, fixed it on 4th and 5th though.
    ---
    Shoulder press sucked today. I equalled my last day one but they where pretty ****ty and my balance was awful, i videod these but in the first set i was off camera and camera ran out of battery in the middle of 2nd set
    ---
    Cleans are weird. I used a wider grip today which makes it way easier to throw up and get off the ground but harder to "lock it out" as such under my chin. and in the first set after 3 reps i dropped the bar at the very top :D, made a bang!. Then i reset and went back to my narrower grip, prettty ugly in all today.
    ---
    Dips where good, could have gotten more but i hate training to failure

---
    Ill post the video of shoulder press' with my squat vids on monday.( i hope)

Ok Day #10

Monday May 4th:

Bench Press
    40kg -1x10
    50kg -1x10
    60kg -1x3
    67.5kg -2x5 1x4 PPPPBBBB!!!!
    ---
    Squats (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x5
    50kg -1x5
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x1
    77.5kg -1x2(Fugly)
    75kg -1x3(Fugly)
    70kg -2x5
    ---
    Deadlifts
    40kg -1x10
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x5
    90kg -1x5
    90kg -1x3 (sumo)
    ---
    Dips
    1x8
    1x6
    ---
    Assistance
    ---
    Abb Pulldowns
    95Kg(full stack) 3x15
    Thoughts:
    I have been waiting for this day for along time, the ****ty squat day, i actually just couldnt get into any groove and i kept dipping forward, i actually wanted to move up in weight today!. 70kg felt extremely piss in terms of weight, but i had no balance for 75kg so i decided to leave it.
    I actually have no clue what happened to me today, but i have numerous possible excuses. Wrecked after bench, too much warmups, not enough sleep etc etc.
    ---
    Didnt have a camera so i decided to play it safe on deads and stick with 90, it feels easy so i did some sumos for fun to tire me out
    ---
    Very happy with bench, all the more closer to 70kg, i didnt do my last rep as i had no spotter and my self spotting technique doesnt work when i forget to put sprigns on the bar :). The reps where intensly hard, one of them took about 5 seconds of just pure pain, moving maybe a centimeter a 2nd to lock out :P
    ---
    Dips are getting way stronger, first time ive ever gotten a set of 8 IIRC.
    ---
    Abb pulldowns where good, the plan for the moment is to alternate hamstring and ab assistance every workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I was gonna congratulate you on the PB, but then i flicked back through your log and saw you were only 15 and lifting more than me. I hate you! However, i will play nice, because people my age should not be bet up by 15 year olds (actually i hate you even more for making use the phrase "people my age")

Never would have guessed your age from you're posts. Fair play to you. Keep up the good work and you will be a beast.

Out of curiosity, why are you doing press before squats on SS?

cheers :P, im glad i started young. Thanks for the nice comments anyway. I start with press for no reason really , ive always went arms legs then back really. just a habit.

Ok Day #11

Wednesday May 6th:

Squats
    Oly bar -1x5
    40kg -1x5
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x1
    75kg -3x5
    ---
    Shoulder press
    30kg -1x5
    45kg -3x5
    ---
    Power Cleans
    Oly bar-1x10
    40kg -1x10
    55kg -3x5----PPPBBBBB RAR!!
    ---
    Pull ups
    1x6
    1x6
    ---
    Assistance
    ---
    Lying leg curl (hamstrings)
    40kg -3X8
    20kg -2X8(1 set for each leg)
    ---
    SLDL:
    70kg -1x8
    65kg -2x8
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Not a bad day today, did squats first today upon questioning by flogg as i was hoping i would be able to do them better. Im gonna keep them first as they are the lift i find most important
    ---
    Squats where good, nothing to comment
    ---
    Shoulder press where very hard, but got all reps so pleased.
    ---
    Decided to try a new PB on cleans and im glad i did, i tried to be very explosive on the first two sets and it worked out well, i found getting it off the ground as quick as i could aided me in the 2nd part of the lift. Im starting to enjoy these.
    ---
    Pull ups where very hard, but they always are after cleans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

good work man your going to be passing my PB's pretty soon which is a bit meh! tbh :D, keep it up.

• Advertisement

wont be beating that monster squat u got considering urs is nearly 2x bw and mine isnt even bw! :D

---
    Thoughts:
    Not a bad day today, did squats first today upon questioning by flogg as i was hoping i would be able to do them better. Im gonna keep them first as they are the lift i find most important
    ---

Let me know how it works out for you. Will be keeping an eye on this log - hoping to start back onto SS next week, so am hoping it will motivate me to try and catch you up!

just flicking back through the log - one quick thing i noticed is that you seem to be looking up when squatting. The recommended (in SS) anyway is that you look down at a spot on the floor abour 4-5 feet in front of you.

Can't remember exactly the reasoning in the book, but is seemed very compelling when i was reading it!

Also, on the elbows, Ripp and Hanley disagree on the elbows back/forward thing. Ripp is back is the way foward, although i know many people disagree with that.

personally from reading up on it and looking around a bit, i dont agree with ripps squat form. I never had a problem with the elbow thing he does, but the whole hip movement he does seems unatural to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

floggg wrote: »
    just flicking back through the log - one quick thing i noticed is that you seem to be looking up when squatting. The recommended (in SS) anyway is that you look down at a spot on the floor abour 4-5 feet in front of you.

Can't remember exactly the reasoning in the book, but is seemed very compelling when i was reading it!

Also, on the elbows, Ripp and Hanley disagree on the elbows back/forward thing. Ripp is back is the way foward, although i know many people disagree with that.

Yeah Ripp is kinda full of crap though. Looking down in the squat is just ridiculous. How are you suppoed to keep your chest up and look down at the same time? He's wrong on the elbows too, trust me I've tried both.

kevpants wrote: »
    Yeah Ripp is kinda full of crap though. Looking down in the squat is just ridiculous. How are you suppoed to keep your chest up and look down at the same time? He's wrong on the elbows too, trust me I've tried both.

Oh man... I knew that was gonna get you going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

kevpants wrote: »

A million plus ones to that. I learned that lesson the hard way last week with the two failed squats!!

Thread renamed to -ripp bash thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Thread renamed to -ripp bash thread

Every thread has the potential to be a Ripp bash thread.

I've decided to rename Good Mornings, Rippetoe Lockouts. In honor of his fukced up squat technique.

• Advertisement

Friday May 8th:
    Ok Day 12

Squats
    (wide stance)
    Oly bar -1x10
    40kg -1x5
    50kg -1x5
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x1
    75kg -3x5(damn nice)
    ---
    Bench Press
    40kg -1x10
    50kg -1x10
    60kg -1x1
    67.5kg -1x3(shte)
    65kg -1x3(sh!te)
    62kg -1x3(sh!te)
    ---
    Deadlifts
    40kg -1x10
    60kg -1x5
    70kg -1x5
    95kg -1x5
    95kg -1x1(sumo)
    ---
    Dips
    1x6
    1x6
    ---
    Thoughts:
    Not a bad day cause i got my squats lower and better again. I went in today and just said, "ur gonna sink one squat as low as u can at 75kg and if u dont come up, ur droppin weight bitch" and i got em all :P. Bench was crap cause i was just knackered from squats, didnt even equal 2 weeks ago!
    ---
    Deadlifts felt good, i tried out a sumo lift after just to see which i like more, i find sumo easier to get off the ground, but locking out is a bitch
    ---
    Bad day on bench, i think im gonna alternate bench and squats position on the day, and push for a pb in each on the day they are first. Its weird, bench doesnt tire me out much for squats, but squats tire me out alot for bench!
    ---
    I Like dips, nuff said :P
    ---
    Squats very very nice, love em
    ---
    Was in a big hurry, did no assistance work, will probably go gym tommorow and do bench and assistance work, just to prove to myself i can do the 67.5kg

Advertisement