Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I HATE TRIPLE H" MEGA bashing thread 2016 RE-OPEN

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

duuuaaaane wrote: »
    Question answered short. They needed a man to build RAW around, not a title, so giving him the title built the man and it worked... for 3 whole years.

The plan was originally to give him the IC title but Haitch nixed that idea (as it was a secondary title) so they pulled out the World Title thus ignoring the idea of unifying the Undisputed Title in the first place. Always remember the time for HHH going blonde & looking more like Greg Valentine than Ric Flair :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Atari Jaguar!
    What was the logic behind handing Triple H the WHC in 2002? Heat maybe?

It was a heat getter for heel GM Bischoff and top heel H. Also H was the #1 contender for Brock's title (beating Taker the week beforehand).
    LeeJM wrote: »
    Wow thats some heavy WWE revisionist history

You said it! Like it was lifted straight from The King of Kings DVD. Aul bicycle shorts, the heel that wins clean and the faces go away. Killing Randy Orton, Kane, Goldberg, Umaga; never putting over Jeff Hardy for the title, only putting over his mates over (Shawn once, Batista) people already made (Cena) or transitional champions where it'll get back to him (Benoit). At least he had time to bury announcers ('horse face Lillian') and wrestlers (Chris Masters how to lose 40 lbs, Chris Jericho walking his dog) but at least Booker T didn't actually dance for him (WrestleMania XIX.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Im a HHH fan myself and enjoy alot of his work but jesus thats the most biased pro HHH post in the history of the internet! Even HHH never put himself over that strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

duuuaaaane wrote: »
    Triple H then dropped the belt (clean) to Goldberg who was a flop as a champ, he got initial cheers for audiences excited to see him in WWE but never made further connection or effort to do so with the fans, so Triple H took the belt back.

I don't know where to begin with this. Maybe you could help start me off with what you define as a flop, and what you define as a "champ" and what efforts the promotion should undertake to define that position. I should be able to fill in the pieces after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Triple H in the early-00's did what every single wrestler the Internet likes would've done to keep himself at the top, but did it better than they could've. Yes he politicked and made sure his name was on top of the card...of COURSE he did! That's how he earned more money and made sure he was a top guy with a longer and better career! Why wouldn't you do that?!

To say he never put anyone over is ridiculous too: he was the Cena of his time - won a lot, but was the standard bearer for who the next star was. Yes it got tiring at times, but if guys couldn't hang after he'd made them, who's fault is that? It wasn't his responsibility to make sure Jeff Hardy takes his spot as the next main guy. Look at Daniel Bryan's run up to WrestleMania 30 - in an environment like WWE, when a guy gets himself over to a ridiculous level, you actually can't stop him from doing so. There is no way to hold them back. Lads weren't connecting to that degree so WWE defaulted to Triple H in the way they've done with Cena countless times in recent years.

Wrestling is a business where you look out for number one, first and foremost, because very few others are looking out for you. If your favourite guy isn't fulfilling the potential you see in him, blame him and not the guy who's succeeding at his expense. That's the game, that's the system, the objective. And if guys are trying to win at checkers when they're supposed to be playing chess, then that's on them and nobody else.

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar!
    Could you imagine the state of wrestling if everyone was as selfish as Nash and bicycle shorts Triple H?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Loathe Him
    I think the truth with HHH lies somewhere in the middle of both arguments being presented here.

That WM19 match though. Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Atari Jaguar!
    Should a Triple H discussion thread be opened? A lot of different opinions that I'm sure would make for a good thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Should a Triple H discussion thread be opened? A lot of different opinions that I'm sure would make for a good thread.

Hmmm, strange that nobody's thought of that before...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055526714

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Atari Jaguar!
    An File wrote: »
    Hmmm, strange that nobody's thought of that before...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055526714

:pac:
    Mr moderator, are you suggesting I break a Boards rule by bumping an old thread!?! I knew it was there but it's dead, anyway, I meant a new thread ;)

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar!
    leggo wrote: »
    Everyone is, they just aren't as good as getting things their way as those two. Look at how Punk tried to hijack the entire business for his own personal wealth, for example, then ****ed off blaming everyone but himself when he couldn't.

I'll have to politely disagree with your opinion and your summation of CM Punk too. Great for Aitch to take WWE for all it's worth but you can't expect fans to stay & pay to watch a man kill other potential stars.

By all means, my opinion is just that. But the idea of 'the business' and this sense of duty that guys should protect it is just good marketing by promoters involved in it, a ploy so effective that it's even bled into the idea of many of wrestling's most experienced pros who perpetuate this myth.

It's like any job or sport that operates as a profit-making business: the industry isn't looking out for you (as a wrestler in this case), you are a product the people who run it use to make to make money for themselves, the onus is on you to make the most money for yourself in doing so. The industry doesn't owe you anything and vice versa (and, by the way, Triple H has contributed much more to the wellbeing of the business in recent years than most ever will). That's all any professional's goal should be or they're a fool, all in my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Atari Jaguar!
    It's hard to argue against what you're saying there. I would have said pretty much everything that you just wrote over the last few posts you made, but could never have put it so well. I believe that anyone who was held back in the business of professional wrestling was never actually blocked from achieving anything. I've often heard it said that WWE did their best to bury Zack Ryder. But in reality, would he have ever taken the ball and ran with it to the level that Steve Austin did, or The Shield did in 2012/13? Just an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Triple H was holding down the other thread, so split and merged with his own thread where he is king of the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Atari Jaguar!
    Triple H is the king of whatever he does, he's even better than his friends who are more talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Loathe Him
    I've often heard it said that WWE did their best to bury Zack Ryder. But in reality, would he have ever taken the ball and ran with it to the level that Steve Austin did, or The Shield did in 2012/13? Just an example.

I think he would have been a regular presence on Raw and/or Smackdown. Something being popular doesn't mean it's making a beeline for the WWE Championship.
    It's like any job or sport that operates as a profit-making business: the industry isn't looking out for you (as a wrestler in this case), you are a product the people who run it use to make to make money for themselves, the onus is on you to make the most money for yourself in doing so. The industry doesn't owe you anything and vice versa (and, by the way, Triple H has contributed much more to the wellbeing of the business in recent years than most ever will). That's all any professional's goal should be or they're a fool, all in my opinion of course.

The idea that getting a wage means we should all be in a selfish, immoral, money-driven scramble to get to the top is pretty darn repellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Loathe Him
    I dont know how anyone could say hhh didnt hold talent or the show down from 2002- 2005 but lets not forget Vince let this happen.

I do feel at that time hhh wanted to prove he could be the man without rock and austin there and business to be just as good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Loathe Him
    I've often heard it said that WWE did their best to bury Zack Ryder. But in reality, would he have ever taken the ball and ran with it to the level that Steve Austin did, or The Shield did in 2012/13? Just an example.

There is a wide enough centrum between being the top guy and being a jobber who is buried. For a stage, Ryder was massively over, in spite of what WWE were doing for him. It was a natural connection with the crowd, that could have been tapped into a solid uppermid card role for a few months, seeing how he would progress. It's not that he should have gone into the main event, but nor should he have been actively punished the way he was for getting over by himself.

Ridley wrote: »
    I think he would have been a regular presence on Raw and/or Smackdown. Something being popular doesn't mean it's making a beeline for the WWE Championship.

The idea that getting a wage means we should all be in a selfish, immoral, money-driven scramble to get to the top is pretty darn repellent.

What did he do that was immoral?! Kept his cushy job? Politics goes on in every workplace. In real terms, if you're the SCSA "**** the man" type who doesn't engage and tells his boss to shove it, you just end up on the dole queue or never succeeding.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The RVD thing still bugs me, that he wasn't given a run with the title in 02 felt idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Loathe Him
    What did he do that was immoral?! Kept his cushy job? Politics goes on in every workplace. In real terms, if you're the SCSA "**** the man" type who doesn't engage and tells his boss to shove it, you just end up on the dole queue or never succeeding.

You expanded it to any profession. wink.png

For Triple H, I think as long as he isn't in the match itself, he does seem care about creativity, entertainment, rassler welfare in addition to what's best for business. Hopefully when he takes over proper, the occasional pettiness in booking (which I blame Vince McMahon for if anyone) gets phased out.

Rassin' frassin' the $ystem's broken.

Although his making his WM19 match about race then winning sloooowly is pretty suspect but someone's hang-ups over WCW talent as the reason for it seems more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Loathe Him
    71,000 people didn't really vote on this poll did they ?

Also i heard rumours that hhh are getting moterhead to record a version of "sympathy for the devil" for his summerlam entrance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ricero wrote: »
    71,000 people didn't really vote on this poll did they ?

your not suggesting a PW Mod, the most trustworthy and honourable of all human beings, would tamper with the results of a poll now are you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement