Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 no_bother

My grandmother used to wipe down the table after breakfast and lunch and gather all the breadcrumbs up and reuse them in stuffing!!! when we used to pull her up on it she used to always say that if anyone learned to live through rationing there were some habits that were hard to let go..... but i could never really understand this as she would have been from a well enough to do family and from other conversations the main issue with rationing was tokens for fabric used in dress making!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

As Lambseye said, women tend to not have a rounds buying culture like men do, so I can understand that it's less natural for them. But if you don't want to go rounds, insist on buying your own. That's what I do when I'm stuck for cash or only having one or two.

They used to have ads on RTE back in the late 70s/early 80s about breaking the rounds system. The idea was that the round system ended up with people feeling that they had to drink at the same rate/same number of drinks as the group they were in. I think they were on to a good point - if you are out with 8 people, that means that if each gets their round, everyone has eight drinks. Some people might not WANT to have eight drinks, they may prefer to drink more moderately. Maybe there should be another campaign to break the the round system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

no_bother wrote: »
    My grandmother used to wipe down the table after breakfast and lunch and gather all the breadcrumbs up and reuse them in stuffing!!! when we used to pull her up on it she used to always say that if anyone learned to live through rationing there were some habits that were hard to let go..... but i could never really understand this as she would have been from a well enough to do family and from other conversations the main issue with rationing was tokens for fabric used in dress making!

From what my mother tells me, the main issue with the rationing was the rationing of tea and sugar, at least for her and her family. Tea in particular. In the early 70s, there were rumours that tea was going to become scarce again, my Mom stockpiled pounds of tea in the bedroom closet. The thought of tea being scarce was the worst thing she could imagine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A lad i use to work with -

Me and a guy were chatting at the bar - the guy walks up to us and asks the barman for 3 shots(2e each)- when the barman got them, he looked at us and said he wasnt paying for our ones -

Another time i was at a house party - a guy wanted to buy ice so he was asking everybody for 10 cent for the euro bag of ice - i just gave him the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A lad i use to work with -

Me and a guy were chatting at the bar - the guy walks up to us and asks the barman for 3 shots(2e each)- when the barman got them, he looked at us and said he wasnt paying for our ones -

Another time i was at a house party - a guy wanted to buy ice so he was asking everybody for 10 cent for the euro bag of ice - i just gave him the euro.

This one time I was in Germany, with these Erasmus students they were having a cocktail party and ran out if ice. So if I recall correctly the lads whose house it was collected for the bag. I actually cringed so I paid for the ice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Ugh thats rank! I worked in a sandwich factory years ago and If we ran out of fillings like chicken for the sambos they would use the chicken that fell off the conveyor belt onto the floor...eeeeew! Thats why i never eat pre-packed sambos.
    I wouldn't upset everyone by telling them why i don't eat frozen pizzas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

peatcass wrote: »
    I wouldn't upset everyone by telling them why i don't eat frozen pizzas

Ignorance is bliss :D

Just like I wont tell you why I never drink straight from bottles/cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

There's a fine line between frugality and meanness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Hear hear. I comepletely agree. There's a generation of people utterly spoilt rotten during the bubble years.

Another thing you will hear is Irish people giving out that their relatives/friends in the UK or the Continent are really "mean." No, they just have common sense, we became extremely wasteful in the good times.:rolleyes:

It's one thing to be stingy but another to be practical.

i agree too. a lot of the boom babies are now struggling. either with trying to cut down on their spending cos the money isn't there (ie still spending like it is the boom, then their bills!!!) or being massively frugal to the point of stingeyness.

now i was a boom baby - 1985. but i never had the money that most of my peers had. we were poor from the get go. i was always taught never to waste food. you had to really want something if you were ever going to get it (you couldn't just see it on the telly and go i want that, have it got and then chuck it in a closet when you were bored of it), and even then you mighten get it. My mother always did her best by me, but I got what I got, but I was never sad - well maybe the odd time when the gang on the road were able to go to the flicks and I wasn't, or when they got ice-cream every day and I got it once per week - but these were little things.

my friend occasionally calls me tight, cos i am more aware of costs, like if something is 10 or 15 quid i would be inclined to think about is it worth it, where he would just spend the money and cannot understand why i think it is too steep for a certain item. i wouldn't say i am being stingy, just careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 icagirl

love these posts!

my ex's ex would send over their 3 kids for the weekends filthy dirty hair, faces, fingernails, clothes, etc and each with their own bag of dirty clothes for me to wash for them. then she would phone to make sure that the kids each had a shower.

the 2 oldest lads said when I questioned them why this was so every weekend and they said that their ma didn't like doin laundry and didn't have time (she sits on her hol*, meanwhile, I have 2 of my own, and my own company). So, I taught the lads how to do their own laundry so they could show their ma, and asked that they throw in some of their little sister's clothes in with their washing as well. didn't work, they still showed up lookin like they'd rolled in dirt before they came. my partner? well he thought it was an improvement, because he said before we moved in together, she was dropping off all her laundry for him to do as well.

cheeky cvnt! this was just one of many stories about her. glad i jumped off that crazy train!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭bhur

hdowney wrote: »
    i agree too. a lot of the boom babies are now struggling. either with trying to cut down on their spending cos the money isn't there (ie still spending like it is the boom, then their bills!!!) or being massively frugal to the point of stingeyness.

now i was a boom baby - 1985. but i never had the money that most of my peers had. we were poor from the get go. i was always taught never to waste food. you had to really want something if you were ever going to get it (you couldn't just see it on the telly and go i want that, have it got and then chuck it in a closet when you were bored of it), and even then you mighten get it. My mother always did her best by me, but I got what I got, but I was never sad - well maybe the odd time when the gang on the road were able to go to the flicks and I wasn't, or when they got ice-cream every day and I got it once per week - but these were little things.

my friend occasionally calls me tight, cos i am more aware of costs, like if something is 10 or 15 quid i would be inclined to think about is it worth it, where he would just spend the money and cannot understand why i think it is too steep for a certain item. i wouldn't say i am being stingy, just careful.

Dont mix yourself up between a Baby Boomer and Generation Y

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I used to work in a supermarket, and the complaining over paying 22c for plastic bags never stopped. The ridiculous thing is, they could be buying anything, expensive or cheap, lots or little, and shoppers still complain.

bhur wrote: »
    Dont mix yourself up between a Baby Boomer and Generation Y

you have me confused now?

what i meant was i grew up during the boom years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

icagirl wrote: »
    love these posts!

my ex's ex would send over their 3 kids for the weekends filthy dirty hair, faces, fingernails, clothes, etc and each with their own bag of dirty clothes for me to wash for them. then she would phone to make sure that the kids each had a shower.

the 2 oldest lads said when I questioned them why this was so every weekend and they said that their ma didn't like doin laundry and didn't have time (she sits on her hol*, meanwhile, I have 2 of my own, and my own company). So, I taught the lads how to do their own laundry so they could show their ma, and asked that they throw in some of their little sister's clothes in with their washing as well. didn't work, they still showed up lookin like they'd rolled in dirt before they came. my partner? well he thought it was an improvement, because he said before we moved in together, she was dropping off all her laundry for him to do as well.

cheeky cvnt! this was just one of many stories about her. glad i jumped off that crazy train!
    Keep them coming! be a bit of therapy for you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

you have me confused now?

what i meant was i grew up during the boom years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer

ah thank you. i see where i slipped up. my bad. i was tired:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

kfc charging extra for milk in your tea
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056261437
    In burger king today on the belgard rd tallaght,Elderly man in front ordered a burger,fries and a tea he then proceeded to pay for items,Before he left the counter he noticed he was not giving any milk for his tea and asked for some,The staff member gave it to him and asked for an extra 25c a small tub,The man refused to pay saying the tea should come with milk at no extra cost,Manager was called for and said you have to pay extra for the milk the man refused and after demanding a total refund(and getting it) he handed back his food and stormed out,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A friend of mine was having drinks in the bar of a hotel in Carrick on Shannon on the bank holiday weekend. Person comes up to the bar and orders a cocktail that had milk in it. Girl behind the bar gets a carton of milk out of the fridge and pours it into a glass, it came out in lumps. Instead of getting a new carton or telling the customer there was no milk left (customer was pretty drunk), she puts the sour milk in a blender with the alcohol, gives it a whizz, pours it into a glass and hands it to the customer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Ledger wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss :D

Just like I wont tell you why I never drink straight from bottles/cans.

Or be very careful about which pub you drink draught beer out of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Martyn1989 wrote: »

Oh I know all about what certain pubs are like, but having said that, my local is old and a little bit dirty, but it's the best in the town for the Craic. But anyway, back on topic…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Martyn1989 wrote: »

^^^^ This
    A bar I worked in would Mark the barrels that had to be taken off the tap for being "off" .... But then put them on in the nightclub during the busy period.
    Same bar's owner who only came in 3 or 4 times a month due to old age, he used to top up pints with the drip tray. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Firstly, I think you mean Celtic Cub! Secondly, you have to have been born after 1990 to be a Celtic Cub in my book, the 80's and early 90's was NOT boom times! The boom didn't really start till 1998 / 99, and it only really went mad in 2002 / 03.

I was born in 1981. In the 80's, the only time you got a toy was at Christmas. And notice I didnt use the plural!. Nowadays kids seem to get toys every time their mothers' go to the shop. We got ice-cream once or twice PER YEAR, and there was almost no such thing as birthday parties! I remember the first birthday party I was ever at was the local teachers son, and they were the only ones in the parish with a video recorder! They also had to drop a lot of the kids home because many of the kids' parents couldnt afford a car!

my life was much the same. i remember having one birthday party and aparantly have photographic evidence of another. but they were not massive parties by any means.

what i meant was i was growing up in the years of got to have everything and lots of it.

many a year i went out on the road on easter sunday to play and the question was how many easter eggs did you get??? like each kid got 3 or 4 per parent, one off each sibling (of which i have none) 1 each of each nanny and granda (of which i have none) and several off the easter bunny. i got two! one off my mam and one off the easter bunny. the odd time someone else would buy me a small one.

but things were always a competition. what did you get for christmas or birthdays, how big and expensive was each item, were they the new thing. did you always have the newest coolest clothes - no i had hand me downs.

so all the other kids i knew were spoilt and i was the poor kid. but considering how the world is now i think i had the better upbringing

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

many a year i went out on the road on easter sunday to play and the question was how many easter eggs did you get??? like each kid got 3 or 4 per parent, one off each sibling (of which i have none) 1 each of each nanny and granda (of which i have none) and several off the easter bunny. i got two! one off my mam and one off the easter bunny. the odd time someone else would buy me a small one.

but things were always a competition. what did you get for christmas or birthdays, how big and expensive was each item, were they the new thing. did you always have the newest coolest clothes - no i had hand me downs.

so all the other kids i knew were spoilt and i was the poor kid. but considering how the world is now i think i had the better upbringing
    Children egg-aggregate.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

My housemate had a few of his mates round one night. They were talking about getting a takeaway.

One of his mates always goes on runs to shop & takeaways but will charge a delivery charge. If charging your friends to go to shop wasn't bad enough. He works out the delivery charge by weighing whatever they brings back and charging 1 euro per KG!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

I used to have a Scottish neighbour one time. One day I was walking past his house and I could see that he was taking down his wallpaper.
    I called out to ask him if he was redecorating. He replied to say that he wasn't redecorating... he was moving house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Maybe there should be another campaign to break the the round system.

Dunno about that - I'd like to see an advertising campaign which explains the Round System.

If you read through this thread you'll find plenty of examples of people who haven't got the hang of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I asked my little brother for one of his crisps today...
    Aishae wrote: »
    when i ask a kid for a sweet or a crisp

Hmm ... who are the stingy people in these stories?

Buy your own crisps - don't go around asking little kids for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We have some friends who are notoriously stingy. We went out for dinner last Saturday for a birthday and we all agreed that we would share the bill - but the stingy couple said they didn't want to as they weren't drinking - which is fine by me. If you're not drinking that's only fair.

However, they then proceeded to liberally help themselves to drinks that people had ordered (we were getting jugs of cocktails) to "taste them" and also hoovered up the starters we had ordered to share once they had finished their own (they made a fuss of ordering their own separate starters as well). I was a bit annoyed seeing this but decided to let it go.

When we went to pay four of us had vouchers for "buy one main get one free" so we used them on the total bill. Because we did this and shared starters/desserts the individual amount we all paid was about $20 less than the stingy couple had to pay for theirs. They were not impressed but it was quite amusing for the rest of us :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

A friend working out in Cappagh Hospital tells me of a man from Cavan who was having a hip replacement. He asked the doctor could he have the old one for the dog....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement