Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Um, he's not stingy. He's a thief.

Yeh true he is a thief but when it comes down to him saving a few cent or a euro its also incredibly stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

I have a cousin who brings out about 10euro with him every time we go out for a night. He'll pretend that he's forgotten his wallet and will ask could you spot him a 20 or whatever. Drives me nuts , especially since its always a fierce ordeal trying to get the fecker to pay ya back.
    my mate is the same, I used to spot him, but wised up and twice in a row told him I only had enough for myself.. he's copped on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I know an elderly English couple visiting here at the moment. They're staying in a lovely place free of charge, getting all their meals cooked for them, and with people dropping everything to cart them around the country.
    As far as I know they haven't even brought a bottle of wine to say thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

I know an elderly English couple visiting here at the moment. They're staying in a lovely place free of charge, getting all their meals cooked for them, and with people dropping everything to cart them around the country.
    As far as I know they haven't even brought a bottle of wine to say thanks!

oh wow that reminds me!
    my aunt and uncle live in spain. but they do have a small bungalow in the uk so they can visit their daughters n granbabies. they were going to london for new years so invited over 2 spanish friends - it was bizarre, they didnt pay for tube fares, their share of meals out, visitor passes to eg. some of the paid museums and so on. they spent on nothing. and the fella drank a lot during the course of each evening back at the bungalow. also didnt buy any drink.
    my aunt got so fed up with it she didnt make any plans for the last couple of days that involved money. the wife wanted to see the crown jewels an dthe london eye and more. but my aunt was thing 'no effin way' the london eye isnt cheap.
    its one thing to be treated as a guest but quite another to be stingy and taking advantage.
    i was over there at the same time. after 4 days you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. we said it was funny, god knows what theyd tell their family about the horrible english hosts when they got home!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

used to be a barman and one of the wealthiest business men in the town would call in and mind a small bottle of guinness for about two hours - the worst part was when i'd be serving someone else he'd nab the water jug for whiskey and keep topping up the guiness with water - bleuurghh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HeisenbergBB

This story is about a friend of mine in college he wasnt a stingey guy at all but one night when he was out he found a wallet on campus. His own wallet was a piece of s*** and was falling apart so he took all the money and cards out of the wallet he found, swapped them into his s***ty own and dropped it into the main reception.

A real stinge would have taken the money i suppose haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I knew a Cavan fella that dried his teabags on the washing line for later reuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

shrewdness wrote: »
    I knew a Cavan fella that dried his teabags on the washing line for later reuse.

GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

My oldest daughter worked as a part timer in a hairdressing salon during her teens (the height of the Celtic Tiger) and eventually had to leave after 4 years as they would not allow her any Summer holidays even though she had informed them of her dates months in advance. After she left she told me that they only washed towels twice a week, the rest of the time they were just put through the dryer again!!!! Yeuch!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

tommy21 wrote: »
    GTFO

Don't shoot the messenger, not my fault he's a cheap cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Pandora2 wrote: »
    My oldest daughter worked as a part timer in a hairdressing salon during her teens (the height of the Celtic Tiger) and eventually had to leave after 4 years as they would not allow her any Summer holidays even though she had informed them of her dates months in advance. After she left she told me that they only washed towels twice a week, the rest of the time they were just put through the dryer again!!!! Yeuch!!:mad:

ive seen that done in loads of hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Met a guy on holidays in Spain who brought over a frozen chicken to cook in his apartment and to keep him hunger free for a couple of nights

Anyhows he worked out the chickens in Spain were cheaper so he bought one over there and brought his own chicken back home with him

• Registered Users Posts: 46 username_eh?

there's a women that you'd see that lurches around town after people who smoke and when they drop their fag butt on the floor she drops her glove and picks them both up together and walks on smoking the end of the butt :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

What a great thread! Faves are the lad that rang for a takeaway delivery and got home with the delivery driver! And yer man that re-filled the Coke in the hotel mini-bar! :D Genius!!
    Anyway, my own story about this is not half as good but I'll go on....
    Working in a shop, ok, have this proper QuareHawk (as my late father would say!), coming in everyday, (usually at 5.57-ish pm!, when you're getting ready to lock up etc...) :rolleyes:
    We have a bargain basket thingy with items in it from anything to 50cent to the 2euro mark.... This is the sorta woman that'll come up with something marked 50cent and ask for it at 10cent! :eek:
    Anyway, yesterday, walking home after work, pressed the button at the traffic lights to cross over, little green man starts flashing so I proceed across only to realise that an approaching car just wasn't gonna stop! Who is it, only yer one????? IN AN 11 REG AUDI!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Miserable aul ****!

shrewdness wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger, not my fault he's a cheap cnut.

I meant it beggars belief, as in how stingy!

My mother has a friend who is fierce stingy. One Christmas when I was about 16, she came over for dinner. Now I never asked for presents before you call me ungrateful, but she decided to bring all these wrapped goodies for the family. My older sister opens hers, and its some sort of fancy silver necklace. Obvious thought had gone into it (and money!) My younger sister opens hers, a much smaller package, and contained within is a snazzy watch. I am thinking at this stage that it bodes well for me, as I went to open my package, the biggest of the lot. I peeled back the paper in an agonizingly slow manner, like Charlie Bucket in Willy Wonka. The first letter I saw was M... followed by ARKS AND SPENCERS CHOCOLATE BUTTONS. 16 years old. A tube of edible buttons that cost about 3 pounds. How stingy. I never ate a solitary button ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My mother has a friend who is fierce stingy. One Christmas when I was about 16, she came over for dinner. Now I never asked for presents before you call me ungrateful, but she decided to bring all these wrapped goodies for the family. My older sister opens hers, and its some sort of fancy silver necklace. Obvious thought had gone into it (and money!) My younger sister opens hers, a much smaller package, and contained within is a snazzy watch. I am thinking at this stage that it bodes well for me, as I went to open my package, the biggest of the lot. I peeled back the paper in an agonizingly slow manner, like Charlie Bucket in Willy Wonka. The first letter I saw was M... followed by ARKS AND SPENCERS CHOCOLATE BUTTONS. 16 years old. A tube of edible buttons that cost about 3 pounds. How stingy. I never ate a solitary button ever again.

Doesn't really make her stingy- makes you seem very ungrateful

efb wrote: »
    Doesn't really make her stingy- makes you seem very ungrateful

What, even in direct comparison?! I suppose maybe if you knew her she is pretty much like that in most scenarios, my sisters got lucky that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

What, even in direct comparison?! I suppose maybe if you knew her she is pretty much like that in most scenarios, my sisters got lucky that time.

She likes your sisters and not you. Life sucks, get a helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Maybe she just didn't really like you.

And why would that put you off eating chocolate buttons? It isn't like they were forced down your throat while she stubbed cigarettes out on you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

twirlagig wrote: »
    What a great thread! Faves are the lad that rang for a takeaway delivery and got home with the delivery driver! And yer man that re-filled the Coke in the hotel mini-bar! :D Genius!!
    Anyway, my own story about this is not half as good but I'll go on....
    Working in a shop, ok, have this proper QuareHawk (as my late father would say!), coming in everyday, (usually at 5.57-ish pm!, when you're getting ready to lock up etc...) :rolleyes:
    We have a bargain basket thingy with items in it from anything to 50cent to the 2euro mark.... This is the sorta woman that'll come up with something marked 50cent and ask for it at 10cent! :eek:
    Anyway, yesterday, walking home after work, pressed the button at the traffic lights to cross over, little green man starts flashing so I proceed across only to realise that an approaching car just wasn't gonna stop! Who is it, only yer one????? IN AN 11 REG AUDI!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Miserable aul ****!

By the sounds of it she stole the car and was making her getaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

It isn't like they were forced down your throat while she stubbed cigarettes out on you...

Don't knock it 'til ya tried it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

My mother has a friend who is fierce stingy.......
    twirlagig wrote: »
    Working in a shop, ok, have this proper QuareHawk.....
    there's a women that you'd see.....
    Aishae wrote: »
    stingy - hogging all the feckin cakes...

Am i the only one reading all these stories in a really thick country accent???

She likes your sisters and not you. Life sucks, get a helmet.

You would say that, wouldn't you GENERAL. I shall not be conscripted.

It isn't like they were forced down your throat while she stubbed cigarettes out on you...

Its you isn't it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

A fella that I worked with was living with his fiancee and helping taking care of her mother who had terminal cancer. The week of the wedding she passed away so he had to take a few days off for the funeral.

When he came back from the honeymoon he discovered that the boss had not paid him for compassionate leave for the funeral of his mother-in-law. When he asked the boss he stated that technically he was not married at the time so he would not be getting a penny.

K3v wrote: »
    A fella that I worked with was living with his fiancee and helping taking care of her mother who had terminal cancer. The week of the wedding she passed away so he had to take a few days off for the funeral.

When he came back from the honeymoon he discovered that the boss had not paid him for compassionate leave for the funeral of his mother-in-law. When he asked the boss he stated that technically he was not married at the time so he would not be getting a penny.

Legally correct, morally wrong.

They certainly aren't stingy on the tags for this forum (See bottom of page):

are those my feet?, camels arse in sandstorm, cavan people, cheap, cheap egg loving granny, drink piss, foreigners, israel, moochers, offaly people, rat traps, scabby bastards, scabs, scottish, scrooge, stingy, sweaty bacon, the scots, threads that won't die, thriftiness, tight as a ducks arse, tight as a fishes hole, tight pocket bastard

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

What, even in direct comparison?!
    In comparason to what you got her, what did you get her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

K3v wrote: »

This is surprisingly common in some companies. A good friend's father passed away recently. Another friend attended the funeral for an hour, but was told by her boss that she would have to make up the time during her lunch hour.

Seriously, where do these tightarses come from? It's a funeral FFS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement