Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Had a similar situation a few years ago in my local cinema a few years ago, on two occasions I believe. Spent about €15, and as I stood waiting for my 10c change, they guy was about to serve the next customer. He looked stunned when I asked for it, and made a show of grudgingly reaching all the way into the till to get it. I can understand if places don't give you back 2 or 3c, but only if they don't have the exact change or you say to put it in the charity box. But if you were to give up 10c whenever you bought something it'd make quite a dent in your finances pretty quickly.

Therefore, the cinema was stingy, but accused me of stinginess.

Game in Cork used to this all the time about ten, or fifteen years ago. It started out with 1p "Sorry, we've no pennies left, I'll have to owe ye." Then it graduated to higher and higher coins, until one day they claimed not to have any 20ps ("We've no 20ps left, I'll have to owe ye".) For some reason, they always said "I'll have to owe you." So I went in one day, and shorted them 50p for the price of something. They told me I was short and I asked about all the times they "owed" me when they were short. Fair's fair, they gave me 50p off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FishyFingers

I turn me boxers inside out to get the skidmarx on the outside to save on washing them and using electricity which costs me moneys

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I turn me boxers inside out to get the skidmarx on the outside to save on washing them and using electricity which costs me moneys

Would you not just wipe your arse properly instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Would you not just wipe your arse properly instead?

Bogroll costs money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Brown to the front, yellow to the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    A friend of mine got married abroad, so she invited everyone and insisted we all paid our own way ( accommodation, meal and fare to and from the country,(fair enough) but that included the people she had asked to be bridesmaids :eek:

Know of a case where that went horribly wrong and not only did the majority of those invited not turn up but the grooms parents couldn't afford the trip.
    They had to organise another event back home.

Serves them right for organising it before checking who could make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

newmug wrote: »
    Nah tradition is that the groom offer a dowry to the brides father. Common sense is saving 6 or 7K, not borrowing 30, to pay for your wedding. This thing of the brides parents paying for it is straight out of that "sweet valley high" program. Curse that show!!!!!!!!!!

Actually you're wrong. It's the bride's family that would have to pay the dowry. It's cash or goods as compensation for saddling them with your daughter, cos women aren't good for anything.

You're probably thinking of the Bride Price, which is paid to the bride's family and was worked out at market rates.

Sorry, back to stinginess:

I used to work in a sandwich place that took all the fillings out of the unsold sandwiches in the evening to make new sandwiches the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HeisenbergBB

I used to play poker with a group of few friends a few years ago in college. It was only a friendly game and we used to only play for 5 euro each.

Anyway one night one of the lads brought along his housemate. The housemate who I never really had much time for anyway was first out and asked if he could buy back in. We allowed him to but then he told us he didnt have the money on him and he would pay the winner back after.

I went on to win this game but didnt see this guy until we were playing the following week. He called into our house he sat down at the table. I asked him if he had the fiver he owed me and he got up and walked out of the house ignoring my question saying "actually i dont feel like playing".

He never turned up at any of our games after that and of course the stingey bastard he was i never saw the money. It was only a fiver so I never really confronted him about it. I mentioned it to him a few times but he always made excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I work in an office, where it's typical for colleagues to bring back sweets and chocolate when they come back from holidays.

One colleague loves to boast about where he is going to, and what he is going to be doing, and how much money he spends on various things. But he NEVER brings back sweets from his trip. When questioned about it he replied "I don't do that sort of thing."

And, what's worse is, when someone else comes in with chocolates he's invariably first in the queue and grabs a hand full. Tight git. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I work in an office, where it's typical for colleagues to bring back sweets and chocolate when they come back from holidays.

One colleague loves to boast about where he is going to, and what he is going to be doing, and how much money he spends on various things. But he NEVER brings back sweets from his trip. When questioned about it he replied "I don't do that sort of thing."

And, what's worse is, when someone else comes in with chocolates he's invariably first in the queue and grabs a hand full. Tight git. :mad:

There's one of those feckers in every office!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

There's one of those feckers in every office!

used work in a large open plan office where if people were away they'd leave sweets/chocolates out for their department, there was one older guy at the other end of the building in some other dept who used do hourly laps of the office helping himself to these sweets, you'd also catch him the odd time checking for any change left in the vending machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

c_man wrote: »
    I really find it hard to understand how some of you (in relation to the rounds system) keep ending up in one with cheap bastards! I really don't want that hassle on a night out and avoid them like the plague.

When I think of stinginess one guy sticks out. Worked in a bar and he used to come in with the wife very often.

"Two Carlsberg, no head on either of them." He'd complain to the manager if there was the slightest bit. Manager was his buddy so there was no way out.

Not saying thats not true or anything, by on a side note, Iv had 2/3 regular customers that would ask for this, because they simply dont like the head of a beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Fosters costs €3.25, Bud costs €4.40
    A lad comes into the pub I work in and orders his pint of fosters in a bud glass, I dont think its stingy ordering fosters at all, I do think its small minded to want to look like hes drinking bud with his pals
    Before someone says it, he dosnt prefer the bud glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    A lad comes into the pub I work in and orders his pint of fosters in a bud glass, I dont think its stingy ordering fosters at all, I do think its small minded to want to look like hes drinking bud with his pals

Maybe it's not that he wants to look like he's drinking bud, rather that he's NOT drinking Fosters.
    Either way, they're both piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I work with a few stingy gits, one lad in particular was seen one day after work on his walk home putting his hand into every parking meter he went by checking for change, he washs his work clothes in the sink after work and hangs them in his locker to dry, we have a vending machine in work which hes forever robbing instead of spending a euro meaning if someone else wants that particular item they have to pay two euro. Everyone now has to hide drinks,tea bags, coffee sugar etc because he just takes them.

Another lad i caught trying to save 3 euro the other week in work we ordered chinese on night shift it came to 22 euro so 11 euro each, after i gave him the money i saw him cutting out save 3 euro if you spend over 20 euro token in a menu, i didnt bother saying anything if your that mean, and 3 euro means that much to yeh you can keep it sting prick.

I hate meanness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I work with a few stingy gits, one lad in particular was seen one day after work on his walk home putting his hand into every parking meter he went by checking for change, he washs his work clothes in the sink after work and hangs them in his locker to dry, we have a vending machine in work which hes forever robbing instead of spending a euro meaning if someone else wants that particular item they have to pay two euro. Everyone now has to hide drinks,tea bags, coffee sugar etc because he just takes them.

Another lad i caught trying to save 3 euro the other week in work we ordered chinese on night shift it came to 22 euro so 11 euro each, after i gave him the money i saw him cutting out save 3 euro if you spend over 20 euro token in a menu, i didnt bother saying anything if your that mean, and 3 euro means that much to yeh you can keep it sting prick.

I hate meanness

Um, he's not stingy. He's a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

My ex boss told me a great one about a guy that used to hang around with him

all the guys would go to the club and when they'd go out dancing or go to the jacks their "mate" was swallowing the contents of their drinks :eek: so after a while 2 of the lads got very pee'd off with him and decided to get revenge, they went into the toilets with a pint glass, pissed into it and brought it back out and placed it on the counter beside the amte, then off they went onto the floor and watched as he necked the pint, needless to say he never touched their drinks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

When I used to do food deliveries at the weekend you'd see a lot that would make you laugh. Now I know there's not a divine right to a bit of a tip but it is always nice to get one. One night we had a delivery to a well known local business man's house and all together it came to €89.90. Usually if there was only a few cents change the person would just say keep it or whatever but this man's wife handed me the €90 and litterally stood there with her hand out waiting for her 0.10c change. I laugh everytime I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 F_Fitzy

I was once offered the 7c change as a tip by a man on my first day on the tills. He said it was because "I should be in the catalogue with a smile as wide as mine". I told him i work in a bookshop. I didnt accept the 7c.

Actually maybe that was me that was stingy!

My mates Da found a briefcase in a public place (can't remember where) one evening, with no obvious place to hand it in, he had a peek inside to see if he could locate the owner, he immediately recognised the laptop inside as an extremely expensive model, and finds some contact details.
    They arrange for the losee to come pick it up from his house, when the man comes to the door he thanks my mates da, explains how the computer is very expensive and contains alot of important stuff for work that he cant afford to loose, and offers a €2 reward.
    Needless to say it was politely declined, with a grumbled "w*nker" as he walked away.
    That kind of thing is an insult, not a reward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Martyn1989 wrote: »

Maybe he can only afford the cheaper stuff and he's ashamed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

I know someone that has a Fork in his sugar bowl...so you wont use too much....

Maybe he can only afford the cheaper stuff and he's ashamed of it.
    Thats a fair point, but I dont think so with this guy, hes in with all his betting slips, so if he cant afford it he can drink less or not gamble, as I said I dont see him as stingy really, just weird

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can save even more by wearing them back to front too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    A friend of mine got married abroad, so she invited everyone and insisted we all paid our own way ( accommodation, meal and fare to and from the country,(fair enough) but that included the people she had asked to be bridesmaids :eek:
    kowloon wrote: »
    Know of a case where that went horribly wrong and not only did the majority of those invited not turn up but the grooms parents couldn't afford the trip.
    They had to organise another event back home.

Serves them right for organising it before checking who could make it.

same here - i was asked to be a bridesmaid - the wedding was eventually booked abroad. i was told theyd pay my air fare and the hotel for the night of the wedding - the month before the wedding she rings to ask what are my flight details. i tell her im waiting for her. she said she cant afford to pay for everyone. i was miffed because she backtracked but said feck it. so i paid for the flight. i spent 150 euro buying stuff for pamper packs for me, the other bridesmaid and the bride. when i arrive shes still saying im stayiing with her at the hotel the night before the wedding (i planned to stay with another cousin the night of the wedding)
    the day i was supposed to meet her (day before the wedding) she says she doesnt want to share her room that night. and i also heard from an aunt that she said 'im not using the pamper pack' so i said feck that and gave the 2 spares to other cousins.
    turns out the fellas mum couldnt afford to go, and neither could most of her family back here in ireland.
    it was still a great knees up but jaysus...

i dunno if thats a case of being stingy or just being a bridezilla

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

i worked for a really rich couple, minding their kids, thet have 4 girls under the age of 8 the mother refuses to buy clothes for the kids she is so scabby, she insists on people giving them clothes and then she makes the clothes last through the 4 of them they look like rags she is always sewing up holes and rips and tears, she will only pay you to the exact minute one day as i was on my way to work she rang me and told me to get the shopping she got me to write down a big list, about 40 items then i got to her house unloaded the stuff and when she paid me that day she docked my wages for being late even though i would of been 10 mins early only for she got me to do her shopping, when i confronted her about it she said that i should leave my house extra early in case she wants me to run earrands before work, but dont be arriving at work to early cz she wouldnt be paying me extra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

barbs84 wrote: »
    she said that i should leave my house extra early in case she wants me to run earrands before work

She can :mad: off. Cheeky bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Aishae wrote: »
    same here - i was asked to be a bridesmaid - the wedding was eventually booked abroad. i was told theyd pay my air fare and the hotel for the night of the wedding - the month before the wedding she rings to ask what are my flight details. i tell her im waiting for her. she said she cant afford to pay for everyone. i was miffed because she backtracked but said feck it. so i paid for the flight. i spent 150 euro buying stuff for pamper packs for me, the other bridesmaid and the bride. when i arrive shes still saying im stayiing with her at the hotel the night before the wedding (i planned to stay with another cousin the night of the wedding)
    the day i was supposed to meet her (day before the wedding) she says she doesnt want to share her room that night. and i also heard from an aunt that she said 'im not using the pamper pack' so i said feck that and gave the 2 spares to other cousins.
    turns out the fellas mum couldnt afford to go, and neither could most of her family back here in ireland.
    it was still a great knees up but jaysus...

i dunno if thats a case of being stingy or just being a bridezilla

I think its more ignorant that she thought everyone would drop everything and get themselves in debt for her special day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Laika1986 wrote: »
    I think its more ignorant that she thought everyone would drop everything and get themselves in debt for her special day

yeah.... sounds like her. anything like christenings etc is planned for maximum inconvenience. prob is she is also living abroad now so its max inconvenience plus expensive

stingy - hogging all the feckin cakes. my mam used to keep any cakes and biscuits in a bag oin her room. so if dad or i wanted one we had to ask her. and if we asked too often (like, every few days) she'd say no and when we got some she was stingy with the portions.
    so dad n i started hoarding our own stash - which we raid at will :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I have a cousin who brings out about 10euro with him every time we go out for a night. He'll pretend that he's forgotten his wallet and will ask could you spot him a 20 or whatever. Drives me nuts , especially since its always a fierce ordeal trying to get the fecker to pay ya back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement