Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

For a bloke that never bough a packet of fags in his life, there was a delicious irony to the fact that, when my mate moved in with his virulently ant-smoking missus, he ended up pounding the Nicorette gum like there was no tomorrow...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

tommy21 wrote: »
    A necessary evil - every free public toilet I've seen in Cork and Dublin is usually frequented by scum-bags and drunks/druggies or else is so poorly maintained that they are unusable. If 20 cent is the price for eliminating these, great!
    Either that or get one of these ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traveljohn-66918B-TravelJohn-Disposable-Urinal/dp/B0019M7VE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296563554&sr=8-1)
    I see your disposable urinal and raise you one Stadium Buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Denny M wrote: »
    I see your disposable urinal and raise you one Stadium Buddy

Desperate. Why do the ladies always get shafted (pun intended.)

I suppose I might be the first to create one.

For reference:

http://www.femtalks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/feedbag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

One of my friends keeps the salt packets from mcdonalds.

Whenever we go drinking I always end up buying more rounds than him, yet we drink the same amount.

And to top it all of he comes from a very wealthy family.....he would never have money problems anyway. It's so pathetic the way he lives. His hobby is literally saving money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

spot the irony;
    was picking up post for my sister in law while she was on holidays, top of the pile was this months Prudence magazine subscription

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Sorry to beat this drum on this thread again, but people who fall into rounds and don't buy any themselves really annoys me. And as much as I hate making a sexist generalisation, it usually seems to be women who do this.

I was out recently with my girlfriend and her friends, a mixed gender group. My gf bought the first round, I got the second and everyone else fulfilled their part of the social contract except one girl (who probably has the best job of all of us) who just sat there smiling on her free night out. :( How do people live with the embarrassment of essentially exploiting their friends. :confused:

According to my girlfriend she always does it, and says 'If they don't want to me a drink that don't have to.' I'll avail of that option in future.

Sorry to beat this drum on this thread again, but people who fall into rounds and don't buy any themselves really annoys me. And as much as I hate making a sexist generalisation, it usually seems to be women who do this.

I was out recently with my girlfriend and her friends, a mixed gender group. My gf bought the first round, I got the second and everyone else fulfilled their part of the social contract except one girl (who probably has the best job of all of us) who just sat there smiling on her free night out. :( How do people live with the embarrassment of essentially exploiting their friends. :confused:

According to my girlfriend she always does it, and says 'If they don't want to me a drink that don't have to.' I'll avail of that option in future.

Man, I actually have a story to top this.

SO, Big group of girls go out in New York (not a cheap night.) One of the girls owes for the dinner so she's like "Oh I'll just buy you all a round of coctails," (Very expensive.) Everyone goes up to the bar but at this point another one of our friends who wasn't at dinner joins us, the girl buying says: "I'll buy these three girls a drink. NOT her.." pointing at the recent joinee.

Now, this could MAYBE, MAYBE be accepted.

Another night, Same girl. Says to my friend, "Come up to the bar, I'll buy you a drink." So the bartender tells her it's $20 (Put $2 tip,) and she says "Oh I only have $15," So my friend says "Don't worry about it, here's $10 and give yer man a tip." The girl pays for the drinks, DOESN'T tip the bartender and then pockets my FRIEND'S change and walks off.

Burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

sweetie wrote: »
    my dad tells a story from when he was younger and he was drinking with some friends and one of them was teetotal. When it came to his round he bought 4 fizzy oranges for them.

had almost the same thing happen to me, out with a couple of friends and a freind of a friend who we didn't know was visiting - when it came to the guy no one knew to buy a round he bought us a pack of Taytos each?! wtf (never seen him again thank god...he was a special sort of odd, had a money belt and all, looked like a thunder bird running when trying to catch up with us)

LambsEye wrote: »
    Man, I actually have a story to top this.

SO, Big group of girls go out in New York (not a cheap night.) One of the girls owes for the dinner so she's like "Oh I'll just buy you all a round of coctails," (Very expensive.) Everyone goes up to the bar but at this point another one of our friends who wasn't at dinner joins us, the girl buying says: "I'll buy these three girls a drink. NOT her.." pointing at the recent joinee.

Now, this could MAYBE, MAYBE be accepted.

That's awful, what a slap in the face to the poor girl. I hope the joinee wasn't shy or lacking in confidence, because someone could easily take that personally.
    Another night, Same girl. Says to my friend, "Come up to the bar, I'll buy you a drink." So the bartender tells her it's $20 (Put $2 tip,) and she says "Oh I only have $15," So my friend says "Don't worry about it, here's $10 and give yer man a tip." The girl pays for the drinks, DOESN'T tip the bartender and then pockets my FRIEND'S change and walks off.

Burn.

:o I think that I might have fainted with embarrassment if I witnessed that

That's awful, what a slap in the face to the poor girl. I hope the joinee wasn't shy or lacking in confidence, because someone could easily take that personally.

:o I think that I might have fainted with embarrassment if I witnessed that

I know right! I was sitting down and the mate (who essentially got robbed,) just walked back to the table in a daze, so confused as to how she had just ended up paying $10 for a "free" drink!

I find girls are particularly bad about buying drinks/rounds. It's some weird feminist sense of entitlement or something. As a result I never let boys buy me drinks.

ANOTHER time, I was drinking at a bar and I was putting down a $1 tip for every drink I was having. So there was like $5 on the bar in front of me. A guy starts chatting me up, then just, picked up the money and walked away. Like, free money? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I know right! I was sitting down and the mate (who essentially got robbed,) just walked back to the table in a daze, so confused as to how she had just ended up paying $10 for a "free" drink!

I find girls are particularly bad about buying drinks/rounds. It's some weird feminist sense of entitlement or something. As a result I never let boys buy me drinks.

ANOTHER time, I was drinking at a bar and I was putting down a $1 tip for every drink I was having. So there was like $5 on the bar in front of me. A guy starts chatting me up, then just, picked up the money and walked away. Like, free money? No.

around here girls dont ever buy you a drink back, they just figure you want to get in their pants

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, the Dutch do have a reputation for being mean. It's firmly embedded in their culture. My sister lives in Holland and the stories she could tell you.:pac: That said, a quality the Dutch have is that they are not flashy and vulgar with their money like too many Irish are.

And it could be said that us Irish are somewhat over generous with money and indeed pretty wasteful. Look at how reckless people were with money here during the bubble years. People give out about the banks for lending, but no one forced people to recklessly spend beyond their means like there was no tomorrow.

garv123 wrote: »
    around here girls dont ever buy you a drink back, they just figure you want to get in their pants

Don't you though? :D

I think that it's the opposite in fact, most girls that I know who would call themselves feminists would always either buy rounds with the others, or insist on not getting into rounds at all. It's a matter of pride I think, if somebody considers themselves equal to those around them, they're not going to feel comfortable not paying their way.

I think that only those who believe that being a woman makes them smaller or less able could possibly deal with the embarrassment of sponging off their mates.

Em... that one takes the prize, I suppose actually stealing is the ultimate form of stingyness. So much for it mostly being women

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭jprboy

conorhal wrote: »
    For a bloke that never bough a packet of fags in his life, there was a delicious irony to the fact that, when my mate moved in with his virulently ant-smoking missus, he ended up pounding the Nicorette gum like there was no tomorrow...

Sticky mess?
    Was the missus jealous?

I think that it's the opposite in fact, most girls that I know who would call themselves feminists would always either buy rounds with the others, or insist on not getting into rounds at all. It's a matter of pride I think, if somebody considers themselves equal to those around them, they're not going to feel comfortable not paying their way.

I think that only those who believe that being a woman makes them smaller or less able could possibly deal with the embarrassment of sponging off their mates.

Em... that one takes the prize, I suppose actually stealing is the ultimate form of stingyness. So much for it mostly being women

Yeah I think I more meant women buying MEN drinks, as opposed to buying their friends drinks. I've noticed actually that girls don't seem to do rounds as much with their friends. But girls buying boys drinks doesn't seem to happen too often at all. I think when I said "sense of entitlement," I meant that a lot of ladies expect men to buy them their drinks. I agree with you though when it comes to rounds and such.

Well yes, that last one is just blatant theft!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

My Dad gives out to me for braking too many times when driving - says I waste petrol and will wear out my brake pads! He likes to coast up to lights, steer hard into corners, drive too close to cars in front of him - all because he won't brake. I am constantly going for brakes when I am a passenger in the car with him! Irony is he's really generous in everyday life but gets crazy notions like thin from time to time. Apparently people that drive like this are better drivers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Actually some people raise a good point and maybe its one for another thread/forum. A true feminist (not necessarily a bra burning marching one now but a feminist who believes is equality for all) would see it as an insult if a man insisted on paying for everything. Obviously going dutch is different and a round structure is perfectly acceptable and reasonable.

So why do we still have these women (minority i'm sure) who believe in equal rights, equal pay etc... all the good stuff yet insist that its a man job to pay? I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that. If my wife thought for one second that I was trying to be manly and pay for everythind she'd break her foot off my ass for trying to undermine her. Equal right to me is yes you can have the same jobs, same pay etc... but I still expect you to lift that heavy box upstairs and get the drinks in when its your turn.

iregk wrote: »
    Actually some people raise a good point and maybe its one for another thread/forum. A true feminist (not necessarily a bra burning marching one now but a feminist who believes is equality for all) would see it as an insult if a man insisted on paying for everything. Obviously going dutch is different and a round structure is perfectly acceptable and reasonable.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest about what couples do. Some people are quite old fashioned and the man pays, some people are more egalitarian. I think that whatever works for people is fine.

(Well within reason, I have some friends who are being completely taken advantage of by their girlfriends. In one case, they go on holiday, he pays for the flights, the hotel, every meal, every drink etc. She works, and lives with him, he pays the rent and the bills. Sorry for tangent)

I'm taking more about women who expect platonic male friends to pay for their night out. As in, a mixed gender group goes out, the guys and some of the girls buy rounds, some of the other girls sit on their hands and drink for free all night. It's very stingy and actually exploitative.

As Lambseye said, women tend to not have a rounds buying culture like men do, so I can understand that it's less natural for them. But if you don't want to go rounds, insist on buying your own. That's what I do when I'm stuck for cash or only having one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

murpho999 wrote: »
    My missus is Dutch and I lived in Holland for a few years and they take stinginess to a whole new level:

Here are my experiences:

Knew one guy who had two watches. When was not in use he would pull out the button to stop unused watch so that he would save the battery!

That's actually pretty clever, though I'm not sure it would work. That might just disengage the gears

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I'm taking more about women who expect platonic male friends to pay for their night out. As in, a mixed gender group goes out, the guys and some of the girls buy rounds, some of the other girls sit on their hands and drink for free all night. It's very stingy and actually exploitative.

As Lambseye said, women tend to not have a rounds buying culture like men do, so I can understand that it's less natural for them. But if you don't want to go rounds, insist on buying your own. That's what I do when I'm stuck for cash or only having one or two.

Totally agree with you. If couples want to do their own thing let them and if the man pays for everything all the time then he is an idiot. When it comes to the round and drinks I'd fully expect any woman taking drinks to put their hand in and buy a round. This is of particular significance considering a lads round tends to be pints costing circa €4 a piece however when the women get involved and it turns into €6 bacardi and cokes and such like.

When we're out with large group and its full of couples whats also acceptable is for the round structure to be couple based as opposed to person based.

The worst I saw however was in a restaurant with her good self. It was her brithday so I was taking her out and the couple beside us asked for their bill. The guy picks it up and calculated to the penny what she owed. Even asked if she had 2 7up's or 3. Of course once they went we burst out laughing. I wouldn't say a 2nd date was forthcoming.

(Well within reason, I have some friends who are being completely taken advantage of by their girlfriends. In one case, they go on holiday, he pays for the flights, the hotel, every meal, every drink etc. She works, and lives with him, he pays the rent and the bills. Sorry for tangent)

Totally agree with you. If couples want to do their own thing let them and if the man pays for everything all the time then he is an idiot. When it comes to the round and drinks I'd fully expect any woman taking drinks to put their hand in and buy a round. This is of particular significance considering a lads round tends to be pints costing circa €4 a piece however when the women get involved and it turns into €6 bacardi and cokes and such like.

When we're out with large group and its full of couples whats also acceptable is for the round structure to be couple based as opposed to person based.

The worst I saw however was in a restaurant with her good self. It was her brithday so I was taking her out and the couple beside us asked for their bill. The guy picks it up and calculated to the penny what she owed. Even asked if she had 2 7up's or 3. Of course once they went we burst out laughing. I wouldn't say a 2nd date was forthcoming.

Good GOD! If my (nonexistent) boyfriend was sappy enough to pay for a holiday for the two of us I would have NO respect for him!

As in, there are SOME times when it would be nice for the man to pay (like if it's a first date and he asks you to dinner,) or something but if you're in a relationship it should be 50/50

I abhor those girls who expect to get free drink all night. I don't understand it but it IS very prevalent. God. I'm actually giggling here thinking about what my male friends would do if I pulled a stunt like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Not an insult, (although I wouldn't call myself a feminist either), the habit tends to be ingrained, but its furiously annoying! I have a male friend who doesn't even drink, every time I go to the bar for one he manages to jump at the barman and pay, then when time for the next drink comes round I'll try to sneak off and get him a coke with my drink, annoyed that its bloody impossible to get him something of the same value in return, and the twat will manage to pay again. I really need to stop drinking stout, far too much time standing at the bar...

That's like the opposite of what this thread is about! But anyway, something stingy you say? How about stingyness on my part, I haven't paid that 20c charge in stephens green for two years :o Sometimes I'm an "employee", sometimes I slip in, but you do realise if you have a receipt from a shop there the charge is supposed to be waived, kind of stingy on their part that they like to keep people in the dark on that one, I think the staff are and all, considering you see people weighed down with bags fumbling for change outside and nothing is said.

One stingy trick you see pulled is in clubs that offer 3 shots for a tenner, generally it will be a pair of best friends bringing an acquaintance to the bar to avail of the free shot, wouldn't want to be wasteful now! But in return for letting them have the free drink, they then expect a fully priced one, so although it appears everyone is even the acquaintance is out a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Good GOD! If my (nonexistent) boyfriend was sappy enough to pay for a holiday for the two of us I would have NO respect for him!

As in, there are SOME times when it would be nice for the man to pay (like if it's a first date and he asks you to dinner,) or something but if you're in a relationship it should be 50/50

I abhor those girls who expect to get free drink all night. I don't understand it but it IS very prevalent. God. I'm actually giggling here thinking about what my male friends would do if I pulled a stunt like that!!
    I know a pair of girls(very attractive) who used to go for a night out with just enough to pay for a taxi and get into a club. They would flirt with any man or men who approached them and ask them to buy them both a drink (double vodkas and mixer), they would milk as much free drink as they could, then ditch him and find another mug for the same purpose.

Same with cigarettes, they never bought any just got them off men instead.
    The real irony was that they were actually a couple so the blokes buying all the drink hoping to get lucky never had a chance ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I know a pair of girls(very attractive) who used to go for a night out with just enough to pay for a taxi and get into a club. They would flirt with any man or men who approached them and ask them to buy them both a drink (double vodkas and mixer), they would milk as much free drink as they could, then ditch him and find another mug for the same purpose.

The real irony was that they were actually a couple so the blokes buying all the drink hoping to get lucky never had a chance ;).

That's a fcukin' great story! :D:D:D

Oh man I know LOADS of them. It's disgraceful. I don't understand where that mentality comes from, it's mean, stingy and just super unclassy. Whenever a girlfriend of mine does it I feel so embarrassed. ALSO, I really hate it because I feel like if a dude buys me a drink I have to talk to him. And I really don't like talking to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

most girls who are in school/college do this.
    i know girls who have often gone out. gotten twisted, got food, into the club, and a taxi home without spending a money, simply by flirting their tits off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

briantwin wrote: »
    my dad walked into my neighbours house one time and there were sheets of toilet paper all over the sitting room. The wife had bought 3 different kinds and was seeing which brand was the best value (ie which had more sheets per roll). I'm going to assume she would disregard such things as quality and texture.

you always know when you come out of someone's loo with sandpaper rash on your arse what kind of people you're dealing with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

garv123 wrote: »
    most girls who are in school/college do this.
    i know girls who have often gone out. gotten twisted, got food, into the club, and a taxi home without spending a money, simply by flirting their tits off
    well if the guy is that stupid enough to fall for it then it their own fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

This fairly well off women I know from my local village roots through a clothes bank or recycling bank if you will to see if she can get anything. I mean, this woman is really rich, like really rich. In another village, a local church would sell a bunch of second hand clothes for families that can't afford to buy new ones every few months, the stingy cow does be in there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement