Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Frowzy wrote: »
    She won't ever fill her car up with petrol! The weight of a full tank of petrol will cause her to use too much petrol!!!!

This is fairly common practice, I expressed surprise at it before, but with the price of petrol people will try and save any way they can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

The improvement in fuel economy as a result of driving with half tanks is negligible. You'd easily cancel it out in one heavy foot to the floor overtake manoeuver, or by carrying a passenger for a journey. The real reason IMO that people don't buy full tanks is because they don't want to fork out €60/€70/€80 in one go. If they're arguing about carrying the extra weight around then its a very flawed argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

Tayla wrote: »
    I know a guy who would never pay for wheelie bin or rubbish bags or anything like that so he would burn the rubbish, put all the ash into a big black plastic bag, kind of catch the bag in the back passenger door of his car and then drive down the road spreading the ash absolutely everywhere :rolleyes:

did he play the theme tune from the great escape while doing this?
    Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    I used to know a guy years ago who had a little book and would write every little thing in it. Really mundane stuff.

Tues 54/33/97

Bus £1.05
    Mars bar 60p

Total £1.65

going by the date, yer man was buying a bus ticket and mars some time around dec 1999 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

afatbollix wrote: »
    years and years ago when i was a young one.... we went trick or treating at holloween...

went into a house... knocked on the door and the 6 of us said trick or treat.. he gave us 10p
    it was about 1995 so 10p wasent worth a 10er...

i went to my mother who was at the gate to the house she looked at it and laughed.. then threw it back into the drive way....

while we were walking away he was looking for it!!!!! on our way back he was still looking for it!!!!

prick..

To be fair, it was you and your mum who were out begging ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bump-too stingy to start a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Live in the UK, and lots of people here actually boast about being stingy!

I lived with English housemates, who would only buy food if it was on offer in Asda, never eat in a restaurant unless they had vouchers and one morning I came down to find them arguing over 50 pence left on the couch!

The round dodging got so bad one time, that I went to the bar and basically bought his round, except when I handed out all the drinks to everyone, there were two left and as he reached for the drink, I grabbed it and moved it out of his reach and said "oi, its your round you snake, these two are mine!"

Winding stingy people up can actually be very fun, such as adding on a desert or side when we order pizza and watching them go absolutely mental when you suggest splitting the total bill amount evenly!! They'll know how much they owe to the penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Originally Posted by afatbollix viewpost.gif
    years and years ago when i was a young one.... we went trick or treating at holloween...

went into a house... knocked on the door and the 6 of us said trick or treat.. he gave us 10p
    it was about 1995 so 10p wasent worth a 10er...

i went to my mother who was at the gate to the house she looked at it and laughed.. then threw it back into the drive way....

while we were walking away he was looking for it!!!!! on our way back he was still looking for it!!!!

prick..

I've no idea if he was being stingy but your mother sounds pretty ignorant. What amount of money is good enough for her so she won't throw in back in someones face? The guy gave ye something, all ye have to say is "Thanks". Is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

bijapos wrote: »
    I've no idea if he was being stingy but your mother sounds pretty ignorant. What amount of money is good enough for her so she won't throw in back in someones face? The guy gave ye something, all ye have to say is "Thanks". Is that too much to ask?

He wasn't being stingy, up until the changeover to the Euro currency 10p would get you a bag of Wheelies, Banshee Bones, Chickaroos/tees, Space Raiders, or Meanies, etc.. If it was 1995 I'd imagine it would get you a big bag of popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Buceph wrote: »
    He wasn't being stingy, up until the changeover to the Euro currency 10p would get you a bag of Wheelies, Banshee Bones, Chickaroos/tees, Space Raiders, or Meanies, etc.. If it was 1995 I'd imagine it would get you a big bag of popcorn.

or a chomp or a sparkle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I saw this thing on the news today about a really stingy family in England. They invited a load of people to a family wedding but most of the guests were only invited to the church and told to shag off afterwards. And of the people who were invited to the reception, they actually held it in their own house! How stingy is that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Donny5 wrote: »
    Yeah, apart from being left with an unreliable 12V power source, this would probably cost more than just paying the day rate. The night rate (with ESB, anyway) is roughly half the cost per unit of the day rate, but most lead-acid car batteries are only 75% to 85% efficient when new, and this degrades over time as the internal resistance of the battery rises. By the time it won't start a car, the batteries are likely to be very inefficient, maybe 50%-60%. Add in the inefficiency of charging circuits, which can be as low as 50%, and you could be left with a 25% efficient system. Of course, you now have 12V DC, so if you want to run household items, you have to convert the current to 220V AC. Most commonly available inverter/transformers, especially the consumer grade ones for car cigarette lighter sockets, are very inefficient, especially at a low draw, so you could easily lose another 50%, leaving you with 50% of 50% of 50%, or 12.5% of the electricity that you are paying for, when it's only 50% cheaper.

I would love to hear you"r Pillow talk ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

A friend of mine was having a party a few weeks back and a few of us got hungry, we headed down to the local Londis and bought a few frozen pizzas, the lad who owned the house wouldn't let us use the fan oven because it cost too much to run it, we had to grill them instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

did he play the theme tune from the great escape while doing this?

:P

Can't say he did but he frickin should have had some sort of theme tune!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I heard of a man who kept pigs.
    He always shat in the pigs trough. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Loco wrote: »

To be fair I know it's a generalisation (so shush all you PC people) but a lot of English people are ridiculously tight. Had a mate over from England before and 5 of us went to some bar and had a few rounds. First 3 rounds, he orders the most expensive drink there (some fancy cocktail) when everyone else ordered a pint (3.00, good value). When it came to his round, he had a glass of water instead... When it come to the fifth, he asked for a cocktail again....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Loco wrote: »

I lived with English housemates, who would only buy food if it was on offer in Asda, never eat in a restaurant unless they had vouchers and one morning I came down to find them arguing over 50 pence left on the couch!

The round dodging got so bad one time, that I went to the bar and basically bought his round, except when I handed out all the drinks to everyone, there were two left and as he reached for the drink, I grabbed it and moved it out of his reach and said "oi, its your round you snake, these two are mine!"

Winding stingy people up can actually be very fun, such as adding on a desert or side when we order pizza and watching them go absolutely mental when you suggest splitting the total bill amount evenly!! They'll know how much they owe to the penny!

That sounds like a right laugh, were these people your housemates or friends? calling the guy a snake lol :)
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    I saw this thing on the news today about a really stingy family in England. They invited a load of people to a family wedding but most of the guests were only invited to the church and told to shag off afterwards. And of the people who were invited to the reception, they actually held it in their own house! How stingy is that?

Sounds tight, but maybe they werent flush with cash, unlike here, well until a while ago but probably still, people will sink themselves over a special day??? although this probably is the other extreme :)
    To be fair I know it's a generalisation (so shush all you PC people) but a lot of English people are ridiculously tight. Had a mate over from England before and 5 of us went to some bar and had a few rounds. First 3 rounds, he orders the most expensive drink there (some fancy cocktail) when everyone else ordered a pint (3.00, good value). When it came to his round, he had a glass of water instead... When it come to the fifth, he asked for a cocktail again....:mad:

Same in Ireland, well from what I recal when I used to drink a lot more (barely at all these days) some tight **** always try get out of getting a round, they'd get nasty if you forgot a round but they themselves would frequently avoid rounds, started off by not buying rounds with them, progressed to not doing rounds at all, began to drink less, realised what tightwad mean basically boring halfwits they were, then stopped hanging around with them. I was sure rounds went the way of the dodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'd agree with English people being more thrifty than Irish people. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. It has the effect of making prices here much lower than Ireland. I know quite a few people who will quite happily leave a pub and go somewhere else if the prices are too expensive, which I've never really encountered in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Buceph wrote: »

I think you mean 1895. 10p might still have got you a bag of Wheelies with about 4 crisps in it, but there's no way in hell it would have got you a big bag of popcorn.

....Though I don't see why he should have to give even 10p to a bunch of kids basically begging at his door. I ****ing hate trick or treaters......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

four18 wrote: »
    I would love to hear you"r Pillow talk ! :D

It would efficiently prepare you for coitus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

Merch wrote: »

Sounds tight, but maybe they werent flush with cash, unlike here, well until a while ago but probably still, people will sink themselves over a special day??? although this probably is the other extreme :)

I think they have plenty of money, what with being the royal family and all:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

A friend of mine is reported to have stood in a shop contemplating the purchase of a chocolate bar and saying with no shame "does anyone have 50 cent, I don't want to break a €2"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Trooperboyo

An old housemate of mine dropped his carton of yogurt on the floor. Instead of getting another one from the fridge he proceded to get down on his honkers and dig into the yogurt on the floor!

Not sure if I should be saying anything though, I'd rather walk a distance from a free parking spot to the supermarket instead of paying for a ticket right beside the place (or wait until free parking time). I can't remember the last time I payed for a parking ticket tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Blisterman wrote: »
    I'd agree with English people being more thrifty than Irish people. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. It has the effect of making prices here much lower than Ireland. I know quite a few people who will quite happily leave a pub and go somewhere else if the prices are too expensive, which I've never really encountered in Ireland.

Or use vouchers in pubs. Was morto one time when i seen a mate take a book of coupons out for one of those chain bars - Wetherspoons i think.

Granted its great - cheaper beer, but using vouchers for like 20p off is a bit tacky IMO

LucyLouLou wrote: »
    I think they have plenty of money, what with being the royal family and all:D

There's a royal wedding?lol, actually, I was trying to avoid thinking about it, its non news to me, looks like I was successful, yeheay :) I genuinely pushed that out of my mind and read it like it was commoners they were talking about :)

Or use vouchers in pubs. Was morto one time when i seen a mate take a book of coupons out for one of those chain bars - Wetherspoons i think.

Granted its great - cheaper beer, but using vouchers for like 20p off is a bit tacky IMO

They have vouchers for beer? cool, I'd be using them, if i can use vouchers in tescos, why not in the Pub? and when the beer is only a couple of quid or less, thats a good percent off, not like this rip off hole, can you imagine publicans here accepting vouchers off beer, dont think it would take off here generally, but if I was there why not?
    An old housemate of mine dropped his carton of yogurt on the floor. Instead of getting another one from the fridge he proceded to get down on his honkers and dig into the yogurt on the floor!

Not sure if I should be saying anything though, I'd rather walk a distance from a free parking spot to the supermarket instead of paying for a ticket right beside the place (or wait until free parking time). I can't remember the last time I payed for a parking ticket tbh.

I'd definitely draw the line at eating yogurt off the floor or before, nothing wrong with avoiding parking costs if possible either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I know a guy who,whilst at a friends house close to xmas,noticed a stack of board gameso on the table." Are those the kids' xmas presents?" he asks,to which the reply was "no,those are old ones that we're giving to charity"

Cheap bollix says"sure,Ill save ye the trip to the charity shop"

Nabs them for himself.Wraps them up and gives to his kids!

Then tells me!!! Feckin proud of himself he was.(not one iota of shame was present)

Hes the heavy smoker who, coming up to mortgage day will "quit" then scab a smoke off a different person every smoke break.

At least he's not my da.I'd be bloody mortified.Good luck to the poor saps who marry his two girls.Im gonna make a mad assumption that he will take a modern approach to paying for weddings..."sure they all pay for their own now"

cesc77 wrote: »
    I know a guy who,whilst at a friends house close to xmas,noticed a stack of board gameso on the table." Are those the kids' xmas presents?" he asks,to which the reply was "no,those are old ones that we're giving to charity"

Cheap bollix says"sure,Ill save ye the trip to the charity shop"

Nabs them for himself.Wraps them up and gives to his kids!

Then tells me!!! Feckin proud of himself he was.(not one iota of shame was present)

Hes the heavy smoker who, coming up to mortgage day will "quit" then scab a smoke off a different person every smoke break.

At least he's not my da.I'd be bloody mortified.Good luck to the poor saps who marry his two girls.Im gonna make a mad assumption that he will take a modern approach to paying for weddings..."sure they all pay for their own now"

That seems quite mean alright. Nothing wrong with Parents of girls not being expected to foot the bill for a wedding though, I woulddnt only say thats modern, but simply makes sense.
    I dont smoke but I always noticed its the same people that scab smokes all the time, never see them offering them out, what I find weird is when I've seen people asking to bum a fag and have their hand practically in the box before the other person has agreed to it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I remember years ago when there were 4 of us (young lads) in the one house all smokers.
    We got paid (badly) Thursday, by Sunday evening 3 of us were always stoney broke, no money for smokes so we borrowed from our 4th m8.
    Then all week he smoked "ours" and if we complained, he said he had no money cos he lent it to us.
    Thursday we paid him back, and Sunday the cycle restarted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 saibhbeag

I have an aunt who always buys the insurance for anything she gets in argus, then she breaks it just before the time runs up and gets a new one or a refund!

She also is known to have bought clothes, shoes etc and wore them for ages before returning them and making a fuss until she gets a refund or store credit. :o

Dont kno where she gets it from, noone else in the family is like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement