Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Bernice101 wrote: »
    mabie she didnt drink black tea, i always carry my own tea bags because most places dont do Redbush tea and i hate black tea

My mam does the same, she's drank green tea for years and she couldn't get it in places so if she was tohave a cuppa tea she would ask for boiling water and use her own tea bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Worked with a guy who used to drive to England now and again-he'd pay for a day trip ticket which at the time was dirt cheap,his journey would take him over the Severn Bridge and he used to boast how he saved on the toll by driving miles out of his way,the fuel cost more.While there he'd stock the car up on dented tins of food as a supermarket near where he stayed sold them off cheap.We used to do favours for him in work as he said he needed stuff for a local club he was involved in-we stopped when we found he was selling the stuff we gave him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

This girl I used to know worked for this fairly well off family as an Au Pair (old pear?)

anyway the Wife was a miserable ould b1tch of a wan and she used to give out to the girl I knew for charging her laptop and that it was costing too much electricity. Laptop costs 1 or 2 cents to charge and she was giving out about it.

I think she was just a miserable ould cnut though than just stingy, but then again she was only being paid 150e per week

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I used to work with in penneys a while back. You would regularly have people returning stuff that cost 50c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Laika1986 wrote: »
    I used to work with in penneys a while back. You would regularly have people returning stuff that cost 50c

Or people refusing to buy something for €3 because they thought it was €2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

And then give you **** that the sign said €2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

And then give you **** that the sign said €2

Would that not be more the principal of the thing, not the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

newmug wrote: »

Maybe, but 9 out of ten times, they'd have read the sign wrong, or someone else had fecked the t-shirt onto a reduced rail rather than put it back. Thing is, the girl on tills doesn't set or decide the price, she's not deliberately out to con you :rolleyes:

And even in that case, if it was €20 and someone thought it was €7, then fair enough, but for the sake of a euro!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

newmug wrote: »
    Damn straight !

Some people have a lot of interest in their principle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I know of a guy who used to switch his car off at the top of a hill and let it roll down (ostensibly to save money on petrol). It was eventually pointed out to him by his friends that it was probably costing more to start the car back up each time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

my lord it has only taken me two days to read the entire thread! my eyes are square.

classic tho! must see if i have any interesting things to say meself on stingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I know a guy who would never pay for wheelie bin or rubbish bags or anything like that so he would burn the rubbish, put all the ash into a big black plastic bag, kind of catch the bag in the back passenger door of his car and then drive down the road spreading the ash absolutely everywhere :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

one lady who owned a little shop in town was going to the local newsagents to buy herself an ice-cream, on her purchase she ordered a 99 ice cream cone and it cost 99c at the time (the good old days). She handed over the 1 euro to my friend who happened to be working there at the time and my friend gave her the cone and thought nothing of the 1cent change. The lady walked away happily with her ice cream and returned an hour later giving out like a mad woman and demanding her 1 cent change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Yes the woman was stingy, but your friend shouldn't have assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

I wonder has anyone seen a post by someone else that was about themselves? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I knew a women before and everytime she picked her nose she put her muckus into her hankerchief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

That's not stinginess... that's bad hygiene.

Or good hygiene... I haven't decided yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

From my first visit to the States, i kept a quarter i had at my desk as a kind of sentimental reminder of my times there.

I was working away for a couple of weeks and left my desk to a visiting colleague. When i returned, said quarter had dissapeared.

Not only stingy, but the guy was Indian - WFT would he have use for it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

afatbollix wrote: »
    years and years ago when i was a young one.... we went trick or treating at holloween...

went into a house... knocked on the door and the 6 of us said trick or treat.. he gave us 10p
    it was about 1995 so 10p wasent worth a 10er...

i went to my mother who was at the gate to the house she looked at it and laughed.. then threw it back into the drive way....

while we were walking away he was looking for it!!!!! on our way back he was still looking for it!!!!

prick..

Could of been all he had :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

a person asking for a loan of 10p, because they didnt want to break a fifty, fifty PENCE that is (pre euro)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

a person asking for a loan of 10p, because they didnt want to break a fifty, fifty PENCE that is (pre euro)

Those days are coming again (post euro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I charge ould car batteries that wouldn't start a car no more off night rate electricity and empty them during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Daegerty wrote: »
    I charge ould car batteries that wouldn't start a car no more off night rate electricity and empty them during the day.
    What do you run off them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

What do you run off them?

Yeah, apart from being left with an unreliable 12V power source, this would probably cost more than just paying the day rate. The night rate (with ESB, anyway) is roughly half the cost per unit of the day rate, but most lead-acid car batteries are only 75% to 85% efficient when new, and this degrades over time as the internal resistance of the battery rises. By the time it won't start a car, the batteries are likely to be very inefficient, maybe 50%-60%. Add in the inefficiency of charging circuits, which can be as low as 50%, and you could be left with a 25% efficient system. Of course, you now have 12V DC, so if you want to run household items, you have to convert the current to 220V AC. Most commonly available inverter/transformers, especially the consumer grade ones for car cigarette lighter sockets, are very inefficient, especially at a low draw, so you could easily lose another 50%, leaving you with 50% of 50% of 50%, or 12.5% of the electricity that you are paying for, when it's only 50% cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Donny5 wrote: »
    Yeah, apart from being left with an unreliable 12V power source, this would probably cost more than just paying the day rate. The night rate (with ESB, anyway) is roughly half the cost per unit of the day rate, but most lead-acid car batteries are only 75% to 85% efficient when new, and this degrades over time as the internal resistance of the battery rises. By the time it won't start a car, the batteries are likely to be very inefficient, maybe 50%-60%. Add in the inefficiency of charging circuits, which can be as low as 50%, and you could be left with a 25% efficient system. Of course, you now have 12V DC, so if you want to run household items, you have to convert the current to 220V AC. Most commonly available inverter/transformers, especially the consumer grade ones for car cigarette lighter sockets, are very inefficient, especially at a low draw, so you could easily lose another 50%, leaving you with 50% of 50% of 50%, or 12.5% of the electricity that you are paying for, when it's only 50% cheaper.

Say wha?:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I think i get what you're saying, but fúck does my head hurt!!:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Internal resistance is only a big issue when drawing lots of amps
    and you can power laptops off an adaptor designed for use in car

best thing to do is cheap ryanair flights to morocco , solar panels to charge the batteries ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Yea, but do you know how to use paragraphs.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

I'm having great fun reading through this thread! Not finished yet but getting there.

Thought I'd share some money saving tips as demonstrated by a girl I work with:

She won't ever fill her car up with petrol! The weight of a full tank of petrol will cause her to use too much petrol!!!!

Also, it's very important to distribute weight evenly in a car to ensure that the tyres are worn out at an even rate! Seriously????!!!! If there's one person in the back of her car, even for a short journey they have to sit in the middle.... If she's going on a long journey with people in the car she'll stop regularly to move everyone around, I guess so the fat person doesn't wear out the tyres/suspension on one wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Lived in a hostel in Tel Aviv for a few months. The hot water for the men's showers was turned off to save money. Even when you asked it could take an hour to heat up. That was a pain, because many of us did construction work and really wanted to was as soon as we came back. It was always on in the ladies showers. So we would check them, and then someone would stay outside to warn the ladies.

Eventually they realised they had to have hot water in the men's showers, but they kept using the ladies showers because they we much nicer. A sign was put up to explain it was ladies only and if you were unsure of what gender you are to ask reception.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement