Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I remember years ago when there were 4 of us (young lads) in the one house all smokers.
    We got paid (badly) Thursday, by Sunday evening 3 of us were always stoney broke, no money for smokes so we borrowed from our 4th m8.
    Then all week he smoked "ours" and if we complained, he said he had no money cos he lent it to us.
    Thursday we paid him back, and Sunday the cycle restarted.

Problem? seems like a back scratching exercise.If he had smokes when you didnt,stop being a tw8t slagging him off.3 gits asking you for smokes?

get the feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

saibhbeag wrote: »
    I have an aunt who always buys the insurance for anything she gets in argus, then she breaks it just before the time runs up and gets a new one or a refund!

She also is known to have bought clothes, shoes etc and wore them for ages before returning them and making a fuss until she gets a refund or store credit. :o

Dont kno where she gets it from, noone else in the family is like that.

Sounds like a candidate for the 'Cries of Retail' thread over on Ranting and Raving tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Or use vouchers in pubs. Was morto one time when i seen a mate take a book of coupons out for one of those chain bars - Wetherspoons i think.

Granted its great - cheaper beer, but using vouchers for like 20p off is a bit tacky IMO

Haha, when I joined Camra, I got about 100 50p off a pint of real ale vouchers. That coincided with Wetherspoons reducing the price of one of their ales to 99p.

I'll tell you what, no beer in the world tastes better than a 49p beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I remember years ago when there were 4 of us (young lads) in the one house all smokers.
    We got paid (badly) Thursday, by Sunday evening 3 of us were always stoney broke, no money for smokes so we borrowed from our 4th m8.
    Then all week he smoked "ours" and if we complained, he said he had no money cos he lent it to us.
    Thursday we paid him back, and Sunday the cycle restarted.

So what you're telling us is, you and your 3 mates are all stingey?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Oh I've just remembered a good one.

When I was a kid (around 1993) there was a field of grass in our estate that we used to play in. Maybe around 15x20m. One year the grass got too long to kick a ball in so one the fathers took it upon himself to cut the grass.

Sounds civic minded doesn't it? Well he actually tried to demand 50p from everyone who played there to cover the price of the petrol for his lawnmower!

For weeks his four kids would be arguing with anybody who hadn't payed but used the field. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I was out on a first date with someone. He was a complete stunner - heads turned when he walked across the pub!! He then proceeded to order tap water for himself and let me buy my own drink! Was going to leave after 1 but I said no I will hang in there - pattern continued even when I bought the round - tap water for him! Never went out with him again!

And no he wasnt a tee totaller - just a bit odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Contra Proferentem

Another amusing one in this (hotel) bar was this middle aged women who would bring in her own tea bags.
    She would then kindly ask the staff for a pot of boiling water and a cup. Then spend hours in the lounge sipping away at no expense.
    :p
    Saw that a dozen times. People in the fecking canteen do that now as well. Unreal. Tea costs 50c in this canteen by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Saw that a dozen times. People in the fecking canteen do that now as well. Unreal. Tea costs 50c in this canteen by the way!
    I do the same were I work as the only place that we can get tea charges €2.50 a cup. Absolute rip-off. They hate giving us the FREE hot water :p

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Couple of years ago i was working in a Mcdonalds restaurant, wasn't the worst place in the world. Anyway i was on my break one day when the boss came in, chatted away to him nice and polite until i finished my meal.

So i stood up with my tray,with some loose chips and a satchet of ketchup(you all know the ones) to throw it in the bin. After i through it in the bin the boss starts giving out to me for wasting stuff and proceeded to retrieve the satchet of ketchup from the bin and leave it there for the next poor soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Couple of years ago i was working in a Mcdonalds restaurant, wasn't the worst place in the world. Anyway i was on my break one day when the boss came in, chatted away to him nice and polite until i finished my meal.

So i stood up with my tray,with some loose chips and a satchet of ketchup(you all know the ones) to throw it in the bin. After i through it in the bin the boss starts giving out to me for wasting stuff and proceeded to retrieve the satchet of ketchup from the bin and leave it there for the next poor soul.

If the sachet was unopened then it is wasteful to throw it away...

• Advertisement

Defo, you shouldn't waste food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

During college, i worked in Kays Kitchen in Blanch in the wash up.

When clearing trays, you were to pour the unused milk from the little jugs into a bucket by the sink.. there'd be floaty crap in the milk by the end of the day, that we had to sieve it into another bucket before putting it in the fridge for tomorrows little milk jugs.

peatcass wrote: »

When clearing trays, you were to pour the unused milk from the little jugs into a bucket by the sink.. there'd be floaty crap in the milk by the end of the day, that we had to sieve it into another bucket before putting it in the fridge for tomorrows little milk jugs.

Ok sometimes you should waste food. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Oh ffs. That's just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Redlion wrote: »
    I do the same were I work as the only place that we can get tea charges €2.50 a cup. Absolute rip-off. They hate giving us the FREE hot water :p

Some canteens are aware of this and are charging for hot water!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

So if i took it out of a bin and handed it to you for your chips you'd be quite happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

So if i took it out of a bin and handed it to you for your chips you'd be quite happy?

its McDonalds. whats the difference would it make?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Of course not. But the customer shouldn't have thrown an unopened packet in the bin.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

I asked my little brother for one of his crisps today... he put his had in the bag and took 1 out to hand to me "Oh wait thats too big" and he broke the crisp in half! How mean can ya get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I asked my little brother for one of his crisps today... he put his had in the bag and took 1 out to hand to me "Oh wait thats too big" and he broke the crisp in half! How mean can ya get?

Your little brother's a legend :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

im not in the habit of askin them but when i ask a kid for a sweet or a crisp they generally hand me the slightly slimy one they took a bite out of (cos they were holding it) or fish one out of the bag (a small one) - once an 8 year old took a bite out of the jelly baby and gave me the rest. in that case though i didnt ask. she was sharing.

i think thats more to do with how theyre taught manners when being brought up more than being stingy though. they are kids after all. but its different now - youll get some variation of the above rather than them hold out the packet for you to pick your own out these days.

stingy: you're at a 50th bday party. there arent many of you but its still a party. they ordered a huge assed cake with the bday girls name on it. all ten of us got the tiniest 1 inch thick slice of cake. the bday girl took the rest of it home - over 3 quarters of the cake. prob to eat for brekkie for the next 2 weeks. dammit i wanted cake :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Yea but the boss rooting through the bin to get it was way stingier. And then giving it to someone else? Unforgivably stingy:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

worst i've ever seen was a local ice cream man although if you prefer dogs to children you might find this heart warming.

He pulled up outside my grandmothers one day, and myself and my 3 friends all ordered an ice cream. Think they were 50p or possibly 30 at the time. It was back in the day when you got 10p for going to the shop for your mammy. so he made the 4, i paid him, 2 of my mates paid him and one of the other was was 1p, possibly 2 short. We of course had the exact change and couldn't give it to him. Instead of letting the child off with said 2p, he called over my grandfathers dog threw the icecream on the ground where the dog was and let him eat it and drove off up the street.

I know the mans family well and they are lovely people but I really took a dislike to him since than.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

newmug wrote: »
    Yea but the boss rooting through the bin to get it was way stingier. And then giving it to someone else? Unforgivably stingy:mad:

Is Michael O Leary the boss? Oh no wait, he would have taken it out of the bin and then sold it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

cesc77 wrote: »
    At least he's not my da.I'd be bloody mortified.Good luck to the poor saps who marry his two girls.Im gonna make a mad assumption that he will take a modern approach to paying for weddings..."sure they all pay for their own now"

This thread is interesting. It really shows how spoiled Celtic Tiger cubs have become. When I lived in Ireland, nobody I knew, not one, had a wedding paid for by their parents, and nobody I knew would have expected their parents to pay for the wedding. Times were tight in the 80s, and nobody would have dreamed of putting their parent to that kind of expense.

Maybe the recession will teach a bit about frugality being better than waste. When people stop wasting food and money, retailers will have to start providing value for money, and maybe Ireland will become less of a rip off. Their is nothing wrong with buying second hand - it's not necessarily a sign of stinginess, it usually has more to do with reducing waste.

No wonder Ireland is in the state it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I love scabby OAPS

Was doing the shopping in SuperValue with the OH when I spotted an old lady acting suspicious in one of the aisles walked past her to have a look cos im a nosy neighbour,only to see her switching the free range eggs with the super value own brand eggs.

I literally nearly died laughing,off she scampers with the eggs.owner of the shop walks over (he knows me) and asks whats so funny. I tell him. He nearly dies too, says yer wan goes to mass with his mother(wtf) and does nothing but complain about them hoodies fleecing shops driving up prices for decent people.

We go over and look at prices, she saved herself 4cent.He was nearly crying laughing(maybe raging inside but who cares)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

rebel10 wrote: »
    My aunt takes the napkins from the table after everyone has finished dinner (even paper towels), and inspects them for visible soilings, if they pass her inspection, she folds them up and reuses them next time round.

You know, that is why napkin rings were invented - it used to be common practice back when families used cloth napkins to reuse them at the next meal if they were not soiled, and each family member had their own napkin and ring. It cut down on laundry when laundry was a more difficult task than it is now.

Do you think it would be somehow better to throw out or launder clean napkins?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This thread is interesting. It really shows how spoiled Celtic Tiger cubs have become. When I lived in Ireland, nobody I knew, not one, had a wedding paid for by their parents, and nobody I knew would have expected their parents to pay for the wedding. Times were tight in the 80s, and nobody would have dreamed of putting their parent to that kind of expense.

Maybe the recession will teach a bit about frugality being better than waste. When people stop wasting food and money, retailers will have to start providing value for money, and maybe Ireland will become less of a rip off. Their is nothing wrong with buying second hand - it's not necessarily a sign of stinginess, it usually has more to do with reducing waste.

No wonder Ireland is in the state it is.

Hear hear. I comepletely agree. There's a generation of people utterly spoilt rotten during the bubble years.

Another thing you will hear is Irish people giving out that their relatives/friends in the UK or the Continent are really "mean." No, they just have common sense, we became extremely wasteful in the good times.:rolleyes:

It's one thing to be stingy but another to be practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jackiedaniels

I actually worked with the meanest woman on the planet a few years back, she never brought lunch to work but would bum bits of my lunch I wouldnt mind but I was doing weight watchers at the time and I nearly died of malnutrition from her robbing my lunch.Any time we'd go for a drink after she'd claim she forgot her purse and expect the lads to buy her drinks. she had no shame....ah well she has no friends so I hope her money makes her happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jackiedaniels

Ugh thats rank! I worked in a sandwich factory years ago and If we ran out of fillings like chicken for the sambos they would use the chicken that fell off the conveyor belt onto the floor...eeeeew! Thats why i never eat pre-packed sambos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement