Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ...I can't stop running !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

thanks sosa i got that footpod working (eventually - 1st new bat didnt work , got scared it was broke, but 2nd did).

best of luck with the race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

ike wrote: »
    Hey Sosa, is that the 4 counties 4 miler in Gowran on sunday by any chance?

No,Its the Waterford AC 4 miler.
    Had not heard of the Gowran race,would have gone if it was on a different day.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday Sosa. Another good PB Id say!

Well, 24:03 wont be easy for me to beat,
    but i'll have a right go at it at least.

4k (2.5m ) warm up for tomorrow

Nothing special here,
    4 x 30 sec race pace for tomorrow thrown in.

Including tomorrows race,only 28.4m for the week.
    This low mileage is frustrating,i'll make up for it next week.

10k next Sunday,but will not be doing anything special in prep,im going to do 40+m next week and just run the race and see what happens as i know its not PB material.

Waterford AC 4m - 23:15 ( unofficial ) PB

Really went from this from the gun today,Done mile 1 in 5:29,got a bit paniced at that stage that i would blow up,Mile 2 was 6:01,Mile 3 was 5:59,I was puffing hard at the third mile marker but just put the head down and kept going,Mile 4 in 5:46.
    Delighted to break 24,over the moon to smash it the way i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

fantastic running Sosa you destroyed your target time.
    great to see all the work paying off in such a dramatic way.
    now whats next:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Savage running 75% under 6:00/mile at that rate it won't be long before you can shave off those 15 secs...Well done Sosa!

ike wrote: »
    Savage running 75% under 6:00/mile at that rate it won't be long before you can shave off those 15 secs...Well done Sosa!

Thanks,Lads...i have to give a shout out to my personal online coach...Racing Flat...who basically guided me in the right direction as i was doing alot of aimless running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Sosa wrote: »
    4k (2.5m ) warm up for tomorrow

Nothing special here,
    4 x 30 sec race pace for tomorrow thrown in.

Including tomorrows race,only 28.4m for the week.
    This low mileage is frustrating,i'll make up for it next week.

10k next Sunday,but will not be doing anything special in prep,im going to do 40+m next week and just run the race and see what happens as i know its not PB material.

Really went from this from the gun today,Done mile 1 in 5:29,got a bit paniced at that stage that i would blow up,Mile 2 was 6:01,Mile 3 was 5:59,I was puffing hard at the third mile marker but just put the head down and kept going,Mile 4 in 5:46.

See what a good taper can do? I know what you mean by the low mileage being frustrating. But you've got to ask yourself why do you run? If it's to race well, then this low mleage week is all part of the plan. But if you race too many weeks in a row you end up with too many low mileage weeks and performance will drop off soon enough. That's why I think (once you get to a certain level, which you have) you have to plan things out. Pick a race you want to do well in 3 months or so down the line, and set up a plan around that. 3 weeks in 4 should be at your target mileage, and on the 4th week a low mileage week is good, so to put a race at the end of that week is ideal. And if there are one or two other races in the month you want to do, by all means do them, but keep up the mileage and hence you can't expect to get your very best time, but that doesn't matter as it's not your key race.

Great run anyhow, smashed the PB. My 4 mile PB is 23.19 I think, so I'll hopefully be putting that right next week :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Savage running well done there....

• Advertisement

See what a good taper can do? I know what you mean by the low mileage being frustrating. But you've got to ask yourself why do you run? If it's to race well, then this low mleage week is all part of the plan. But if you race too many weeks in a row you end up with too many low mileage weeks and performance will drop off soon enough. That's why I think (once you get to a certain level, which you have) you have to plan things out. Pick a race you want to do well in 3 months or so down the line, and set up a plan around that. 3 weeks in 4 should be at your target mileage, and on the 4th week a low mileage week is good, so to put a race at the end of that week is ideal. And if there are one or two other races in the month you want to do, by all means do them, but keep up the mileage and hence you can't expect to get your very best time, but that doesn't matter as it's not your key race.

Great run anyhow, smashed the PB. My 4 mile PB is 23.19 I think, so I'll hopefully be putting that right next week :).

Yeah,i see where your coming from alright...my next real target race is the GSK 5m in July...where i want to break that 30 min barrier.
    There are loads of others in the mean time but none really that i will be targeting.

There was a fella from Raheny Shamrocks there today,i presume he won,he would not be coming all the way down here for a trot around the city.There was €300 for the 1st male and an extra €200 if someone broke 18 mins,I saw another woman who looked all business there who romped home in the ladies,she was ahead of me all the way,i think she represented Ireland in the Marathon in Beijing (from Tipperary i think i heard someone saying )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Sosa ;) I too find you can't go too far wrong listening to Racing flat and others. With all this shorter distance stuff and the great results are you going to delay your debut marathon

Woddle wrote: »
    Well done Sosa ;) I too find you can't go too far wrong listening to Racing flat and others. With all this shorter distance stuff and the great results are you going to delay your debut marathon

Thanks Woddle,
    I will be doing Dublin this year,the only other choice was Berlin,which is dead in the water now,and i am looking forward to it.
    I'll just keep pluggin' away until i start marathon training in late June.
    ( I have my program picked out already )
    I plan to start some track sessions soon,i was talking to a fella after the race about it and will tie that into my training in the upcoming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Super run. In my eyes based on your kilmacthomas run you were always going to break 24 min. But to smash it in the way you did is unreal.
    Was the lady friend behind you today. Based on that time she def was. Well done. Getting right on the 3 hour marathon times now. Keep it up and I might meet you in Villiarstown in may. Well done.

Super run. In my eyes based on your kilmacthomas run you were always going to break 24 min. But to smash it in the way you did is unreal.
    Was the lady friend behind you today. Based on that time she def was. Well done. Getting right on the 3 hour marathon times now. Keep it up and I might meet you in Villiarstown in may. Well done.

should be going to villiarstown alright ...will see nearer the time

12m @ 8:21 Pace

The first 6m was handy enough today,then i started to tire badly ....knock on effect from yesterday i suppose.Happy to get through the 12 though,as i did no long run last week and i wont do one this w/e either as i have the 10k on Sunday,I set out to do 15 but decided to turn off and cut it to 12,best decidion i have made in a while as i was shattered for the last 2m.

Tues : Rest
    Wed : 8/10m am / 4m pm
    Thurs : 10k ( Sundays route )
    Fri : Rest
    Sat : 2.5m ( Warm up )
    Sun : 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great running SOSA. You certainly started off flying. Smashing mile 1 time

6m @ 7:18 Pace

M1 - 7:34
    M2 - 7:44
    M3 - 7:39
    M4 - 7:34
    M5 - 7:03
    M6 - 6:11

I have decided to structure my running more,from now on.
    Recent times in races has woken me up to the fact that i can go faster if i train a bit better.
    Today for example i had myself down for 10m am - 4m pm...planned on taking it handy am and doing a fast 4m tonight,but i have been shattered after Sundays race and then ( stupidly ) doing 12 monday morning,so i just did 6 and will not be going out again tonight.
    I will be doing Sundays 10k route in the morning,nice and handy with 4 x 30s bursts of 1m pace...nothing Friday,2.5m warm up on Saturday and go for it Sunday.
    I previously said that i would take it handy for this race but to hell with that,i'll take it handy during the week instead !
    I contemplated taking my name off the 1000m list today as i went through 500m but will leave it there but if i think im concentrating on that more than a race...i will take my name out.

6.6m @ 7:24 Pace

Found it hard to stop this morning,wanted to keep going but will try conserve a bit of energy for Sunday,as its a tough 10k.
    Rest tomorrow...2/3m on Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

someone told me that they changed the route for Sunday Sosa and took out a savage hill - not sure how true it is though - don't want to get your hopes up

• Advertisement

Yeah,they took out one tough hill and one savage one and replaced them with a different tough one and one minor one.
    I did it this morning and it will be a challenge,but for all the tough sections there is several very quick parts aswell,and the scenery is majestic.

Are you or any others from the wesht coming down ?

There's a good few going from WW I think.
    I'm not going, going to concentrate on cycling for a while, have a lot do to before Wicklow (including applying for it). I'll probably go to Kilnaboy on Sunday week to get the t-shirt though.

4k ( 2.5m ) Warm up for tomorrow

Nice and handy,with 3 x 30sec bursts of 1m pace.
    I better eat my weetabix in the morning as i feel i am going to need them ...not really looking forward to it to be honest as i know its a tough one.

Splashworld 10k - 38:20 PB
    Recovery 2.2m - 8:30 Pace

Delighted to knock at least 25 seconds of my PB today on a tough hilly course,i set out to do this but my first 5k was done in 19:50,which was the tougher half,and i thought at that stage that i was looking at scraping under 40 mins.
    The second 5k was done in 18:30 at most ( i might have nudged under 38:20,not sure ),really happy with this,i would love to do a flat 10k,see what i could post :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

well done sosa, your still flying, oul sungod is going to have his work cut out trying to catch you, well done

super running Sosa, well done

Woddle wrote: »
    well done sosa, your still flying, oul sungod is going to have his work cut out trying to catch you, well done

Don't worry about Sungod,Woddle .....wont be long now and he will be back flying,he reminded me today that his 5m/10k/10m times are still much better than mine ...i think i have him rattled

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Sosa! Great time... Interesting to look at McMillan's interpretation of your equivalent marathon time. :)

Well done Sosa! Great time... Interesting to look at McMillan's interpretation of your equivalent marathon time. :)

After my 4m last week he had me down for a 2:53 marathon .....
    easy for him to say !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

After my 4m last week he had me down for a 2:53 marathon .....
    easy for him to say !

if you dont go sub 2:50 you should be dissapointed:D:D

fantastic run out of you yesterday Sosa
    thats a great time especially considering the course
    looking forward to running dublin with you ...grasshopper!!!!

Advertisement