Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help ...I can't stop running !

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I have been reading through a few logs ...very interesting stuff.
    sungods and showry to name a couple.
    I started running exactly a year ago,anytime i saw people running on the roads i would always say to the wife ..." look at those lunatics,you will never catch me doing that"...and here i am...hooked.
    I started going for a struggle of a 2 mile loop from my house ...nearly killed me the first time,i thought that it would be a piece of cake as i have played competitive sports all my life...could not have been more mistaken.
    I did that for about 4 weeks...then i branched out to 3.7m for another 3/4 weeks...at the start of 2008 i ran 5m for the first time and then there was no stopping me...before i knew it i did 10m at the start of June and have since gone further.A did a half marathon in September and plan to do a full marathon next year.I am going to post my training details and any comments or advise are appreciated.
    I run 4 days a week,rarely more than that and even if i wanted to the wife might have a few comments on that !
    I time my training runs,just out of habit really,like to keep track.
    I will start with this week.
    Monday - 6m
    Tuesday - 10m
    Wednesday - Rest
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Sosa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Should have probably put in my potential targets for 2009.

My current best times are :
    5m - 32:50
    10k - 41:10
    10m - 66:10
    Half marathon - 94:27

My 5m and 10k times are from the summer,so i would hope that with 6 more months of training behind me that i could better those now.
    My half marathon time was in September.
    My 10m time shocked me ...i was aiming for 70 mins as i only ever raced 1 10m miler previously,Ballynonty during the summer on a blistering hot day where i fell over the line in 72:50.
    i just felt great on the day ...and kept my 5m pace going for as long as i could.That was mid october ....after the half i did a 16/18 run every weekend leading up to it....it really stood to me.

Targets for 2009

5m - 31 mins
    10k - 39 mins
    10m - 65 mins
    Half - 89 mins
    Marathon - 3:30 at worst

Sosa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

about time you started a log :D

best of luck with it and your training

Cheers Sungod ...you wore me down !
    Long one the w/e ...14+ ....and try not run off on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Jesus Sosa, they're great times for less than a year's running.
    Best of luck with the targets.

Thanks,Showry ...i am only running a year,but i do go 4 times a week every week ...so i suppose that helps ...and when you are out with sungod...you kinda have to keep up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi mate, I just wanted to say welcome and that I'll look forward to reading your log.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck Sosa. If you achieve 39 mins for your 10K you'll be nearer 3hrs than 3.30 for marathon on that form, with the right training. You're not the only one whose partner might have something to say about their other halves training commitments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Sosa. Some great current times. Good luck with the targets.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I have to say that my targets are not something that im going to punish myself to achieve..if i keep up my 4 day week,good tempo runs with the long ones sprinkled in,i reckon its possible...but i wont beat myself up about it.I would be confident of getting under 32 for 5m ...but 31 would be a push...as for 39 for 10k ...we will see what happens there...get under 40 first i suppose...having said that...if you said to me last year when i started that i could run my current times...i would have laughed at you...so anything is possible if,tomorrow i have a 5.2 league run.
    Thanks again,
    -Sosa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Sosa wrote: »
    I started going for a struggle of a 2 mile loop from my house ...nearly killed me the first time,i thought that it would be a piece of cake as i have played competitive sports all my life...could not have been more mistaken.
    I did that for about 4 weeks...then i branched out to 3.7m for another 3/4 weeks...at the start of 2008 i ran 5m for the first time and then there was no stopping me...before i knew it i did 10m at the start of June and have since gone further.A did a half marathon in September and plan to do a full marathon next year.

+1

I would strongly recommend anyone new to follow this training regime/progression. Much better to gradually build a base rather than the 'I want to train for a marathon in 3 months, I've never run before' plan.
    You'll smash 3.30.

• Advertisement

To be honest racing flat,i did not intentionally plan it this way,because i simply never thought i would be able to or want to run 10 miles,but i have to say steady progression is the way,you will enjoy it more because you are not pushing yourself to hard to quickly,a friend of mine got me into it in the first place and when he was saying he did 10 today or 15 at the w/e...i thought he was mad.
    3 fellas i was running with most of the summer did Dublin in october,and if i threw in a few 20's i could have done it,i did most of their training with them,....but i wanted to give my legs a chance ...i hope that it will serve me well next year.
    I'm looking at possibly Cork in June or Berlin in September...think i would prefer Berlin.
    Wifes birthday on same day as cork....anniversary close to berlin...she will have to sacrifice one of them ! :eek:

5.2m winter league tonight,my last one until after christmas so i decided to push on and see what happened.
    New PB 33:40 :)...6:28 pace,i never ran under 6:35 pace for 5m...
    Struggled the first mile but got going then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I'll second those best times Sosa for 2008. Well done.
    Good potential there and your targets for 2009 are realistic. If you train smartly and avoid injury - no bother to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi Sosa, great progress this year. Well done! I'd say that you can certainly get 3'30' for the marathon with some planning and even better with commitment. You have joined up with a right bunch of lunatics here:D

Thanks MCOS and Abhainn ...
    I'll keep going as i am for now,when i decide which marathon i am doing ...i'll plan it out.
    I do 30-40m (mostly 35+ ) a week as it stands,when i was training for the half during the summer i only went over 40 twice or 3 times.
    Should i taper it back a bit or keep at that average mileage ?
    I plan to do a couple of 10 milers in Jan and feb...so i am keeping up my long runs at the w/e for that reason.
    -Sosa

Sosa I suppose your asking what level of training should you do in order to keep fresh and ticking over untill you start on your next race plan?

Personally I would reduce it a bit. For me the week would consist of just 3 runs. Two runs mid week of a 6 or 7 miles with a long weekend run of 10-12 miles at the weekend all at a relaxed enough pace.

Doing 3 runs per week after the year you have had will keep you fresh. You don't want to be tired at the start of a training plan / or 2009 when you up the milage and intensity again.
    Even consider some cross training as a subsitute.

Yeah...makes sense alright,the last thing i want is to be tired when i start a program for a marathon.I should cut it back to 30 a week,still go 4 days though...I could do 6,6,6 and a 12.
    I'm not a fan of cross country,dont like the uneven ground,i did a 5m race in dungarvan last week and it was half road half cross country,i was not comfortable,i like to know where my feet are and am very concious of turning an ankle,i had very weak ankles when i was younger.
    -Sosa

Same here also. Can't run on grass these days as pick up niggles very easily, just on the road or tarmac paths.
    The years with the GAA football and uneven ground seem to have caught up. Going through more shoes though than would like. Costly business this fitness craic. Must get a sponsor!

When i started running i was going on country roads that were uneven...i reckon thats how the twinge came back in the knees...i now try to stick to flat surfaces...feel no pain !

No run yesterday...mad to go after my PB On thursday night...Friday is a bad day for me.Nothing today either ...work in the morning and family stuff in the afternoon....but i will have the gear on in the morning ....hat,gloves and long tights will be coming out for the first time in a while.
    -1 this morning coming to work ...more to come over thye rest of the w/e

10m this morning ...7:40 pace...nice and handy...
    Great morning to be alive !
    Thats 31 for the week ...plenty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

God you must have been at it early Sosa, I'm up a while but still trying to psych myself up to go out in that cold. Its just getting started its usually great after that.

Im finished the scrambled eggs at this stage aswell ...going for my second cup of scald now...get the gear on ...it will be over before you know it.

6m @ 7:20 pace ....lovely morning again ...
    not nearly as cold as the w/e,but i still had the hat on.
    I seem to run faster on my own than group runs...dont know if thats a good/bad thing or does it matter ?

4m @ 6:49 pace.
    I was going to do a stroll of a 6,but decided to do a fast 4 instead.

1 - 6:30
    2 - 7:00
    3 - 6:45
    4 - 7:00

Rest day tomorrow,10m Thursday

Just as well today is a rest day ...just back from walk with the dog...the roads and paths are trecharous ...i was slipping all over the place.
    Hopefully it will be ok in the morning ...much rather get it out of the way early :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Hi Sosa,

How early do you go out? I was on the road at 06:30 this morning, I'm only getting back into it, just 3.5 miles - but yeah the roads were deadly, I slipped but didn't fall coming out of the house - so that was a nice early warning for the rest of the run !!

Love the morning runs, but it must be years since we have had this much frost in a winter.

9ish ...i think ...If its the same tomorrow morning,i wil be waiting for it to thaw out,i would be a nervous wreck running in those conditions.

10m @ 7:30 pace ...hard to get going this morning,after about 3m i settled in and enjoyed the rest...very windy in patches,no cold in it though,but im still glad im done for the day !

6m @ 7:30 pace ...What a morning,a little blustery but no harm there.
    Raconteurs blarin' on the ipod ...happy days

After a discussion with my coach SUNGOD,i might give connemara a go for my first marathon ...just to do it ...no pressure on times...then maybe head to Berlin in Sept,and go for a time there.
    All i am hearing is,you have no idea what mile 20-26 is like until you do it.
    I can appreciate that ...thats why i think it would be a good idea go get one under my belt before i try push myself to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Sosa wrote: »
    After a discussion with my coach SUNGOD,i might give connemara a go for my first marathon ...just to do it ...no pressure on times...

I was considering Connemara for the same reason. My brother and one of my pals are doing it and were trying to get me to do the half. But I'd be inclined to think it is a good first one as you're not under any pressure timewise. Maybe.

Advertisement