Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ...I can't stop running !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

SUNGOD wrote: »
    looking forward to running dublin with you!

I have not given up on Berlin yet.....very slim chance alright,but i would prefer to do that one.
    It would give me more time to recover for the Waterford half in december also.

6m @ 7:45 Pace

Nice handy run tonight,got my P&D advanced marathoning book today,i have my program picked out already,looking forward to starting it late June.Really good read,i have only scanned through but already i know i will be referring to it all the time

I have some unfinished business with shorter distances to sort out first though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

You were looking pleased with yourself in the centre spread in the Munster today sham. :)

showry wrote: »
    You were looking pleased with yourself in the centre spread in the Munster today sham. :)

Didnt see it ......must have a look

8.2m Tempo Run

Great day today,tough tempo run,but felt good when finished.

Miles 1,2 @ 7:17,7:23 Pace
    Miles 3,4,5,6 @ 6:46,6:33,6:18,6:27
    Miles 7,8 @ 7:31,7:21
    + .2 @ 8:30 Pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Which P&D plan are you picking? We've both got the same objectives.

Peckham wrote: »
    Which P&D plan are you picking? We've both got the same objectives.

Hey Peckham,
    Im going for the 18 week, up to 55m plan...looks tough enough,plenty of speed sessions,tempos and long marathon paced runs aswell as the LSR's.
    I would have no interest in going over 55m in a week.

I used that one last year, but I upped the mileage a little in some weeks and think I peaked at 60 miles. Did some 21 and 22 mile runs in the process.

Will probably use something similar again this year, as like you I have no inclination to go above 60 mile weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

SOSA have you got a target time in mind for the marathon? (Is it sub 3? sorry if I missed it).
    I've read in a few places that 55 miles is the min milage required to go sub 3. Ok milage is important but people don't realise quality sessions is even more imortant. 5 sessions per week and 55miles should be loads

I used that one last year, but I upped the mileage a little in some weeks and think I peaked at 60 miles. Did some 21 and 22 mile runs in the process.

Will probably use something similar again this year, as like you I have no inclination to go above 60 mile weeks!

I really doubt that i willl go over 55,i am going to aim for quality rather than quantity,i look forward to the speed sessions and tempos,if you do those properly you will do your recoverys and LSR's and the right pace ( i tend to do them to fast )

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    SOSA have you got a target time in mind for the marathon? (Is it sub 3? sorry if I missed it).
    I've read in a few places that 55 miles is the min milage required to go sub 3. Ok milage is important but people don't realise quality sessions is even more imortant. 5 sessions per week and 55miles should be loads

No,Abhainn... no target time yet...i am going to see how the training goes and take it from there,it will be my first marathon and i want to enjoy it first and foremost,i was reading your log throughout your ultra training and ( as i responded to peckham above ) will be going for quality rather than quantity.
    I have a good few races coming up before i start training for this in late June,so i am concentrating on these for now.

9.2m @ 7:59 Pace

Wind resistant training today ....

Awful day for a run,swirling wind,rain ....everything you would not want when you take your first few strides.
    Anyway,got through it eventually,planned about 7:30 / 7:40 pace after yesterdays tempo ...but it was not to be...actually had a battle to keep it under 8 min pace ...so be it.
    Rest tomorrow...
    LSR Saturday
    Easter eggs galore on Sunday :D

6m @ 7:28 pace

Unexpected 6 tonight,was planning a rest day but a combination of a call from Sungod and such a smashing night ( as opposed to yesterdays wind and rain ) ...i decided to go for it.
    I will cut tomorrows run back from 15 to 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

missed this log til now. looking back over the 1st few and the last few pages , youre flying. great times keep it up.

12.5m @ 7:18 Pace

4th day on the trot for me ...very unusual ...so i will have a little mini break,possibly not run until monday evening/night.
    I was tired up to 4m,then i came around a bit and was ok after that,i was tired at the end and very happy to finish.

8m @ 7:08 Pace

Mad to get out for a run tonight,i have eaten an awful amount of food over the last two days,Don't know how the rest of the week will pan out,i wll run when a gap opens up

6m Tempo run

Mile 1 - 7:05
    Mile 2 - 7:09
    Mile 3 - 6:35
    Mile 4 - 6:05
    Mile 5 - 6:08
    Mile 6 - 7:25

Good tough tempo this evening,glad to do the last mile at 7:25 pace,felt like a 9 min mile after pushing for the middle 3.

8.5m @ 7:37 Pace

Up and at it early today,out the door at 7:30 :eek:,glad its out of the way now...tired with no breakfast in me and after yesterdays tempo

15.3m @ 7:43 Pace

Out the door early again today,i did not feel very inspired when i looked out the window,rain,darkish...early !
    It rained for the first mile,then it stopped,there was little wind so i did not have much to give out about,i just found it harder to run that early in the morning.
    I had planned 7:30 pace,but was a minute off that at mile 6,had a couple of sluggish miles,took a gel at mile 9, and got home handy enough from there.
    I rarely take a gel but because it was an early moring run that i would not be used to ,i brought one...felt a difference within a mile and was glad i brought it,but wont make it a habit.

I have been reading through my p&d book...very good read,particular interest in the pace for LSR's and tempos...my new bible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Sosa wrote: »
    15.3m @ 7:43 Pace

,i just found it harder to run that early in the morning.

i find this too. when i run real early i m about 2 mins slower over 1hr run for the same effort every time. !

• Advertisement

I can go straight from bed to a 5 mile recovery run, but no way would I consider doing anything more than this or more intense than this. Need to get food and coffee into me before even contemplating it!

I can go straight from bed to a 5 mile recovery run, but no way would I consider doing anything more than this or more intense than this. Need to get food and coffee into me before even contemplating it!

I did have a bowl of porridge,but no coffee,i would have loved a cup,but dont like drinking it before runs.
    I brought my 4:1 high five...i find this excellent

9.6m @ 7:21 Pace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/3904245

Good run this morning with Sungod in perfect conditions,the last 3m mile we upped it a notch,i noticed some of that infamous sungod tenacity sneaking back in ...:D
    Todays run brings my weekly mileage just over 48m which is my second most ever ...

10m Tempo @ 6:52 Pace ( overall )
    ( Fair dues to anyone that can keep that going for 26.2 ... )

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/3934769
    dont know what happened at the end,meant to press stop at 10m but i dont know what i did,lap 11 and 12 should not be there.

First time breaking 70 mins in a training run,delighted.
    I had planned 3m easy,4m @ 6:30 and another 3m easy,but i decided to do sub 70 so i cut the tempo to 3m @ 6:30 instead as the first mile of the planned 4 was a tough climb.

10k race on friday night,so i hope to shave another few seconds of my PB.

Nice run Sosa. I'm sure you know, but 6:52 is exactly the pace you need to do to go sub-3!

One comment would be that your splits look a little wobbly, with a wide spread from 6:16 to 7:14. Ideally in a tempo run, or indeed a race, you should be looking to keep it constant at 6:52, as you'll gain much more from this.

Was the route particularly hilly?

When i left the house i had no plans to break 70,i wanted to do 3x7:30 pace...4x6:30 pace and another 3 @ 7:30 pace.
    I ended up doing the first 3 @ 7 min miles,so i decided then to break the 70 .....also i wanted 3x sub 6:30 ....so i was not pushed at how far under that they were...

Q ....i just picked 6:30 pace out of the sky for my tempos...what should it be ?
    Would a 10m tempo be to much ? should i keep it to 6/8 ?

Nice run Sosa. I'm sure you know, but 6:52 is exactly the pace you need to do to go sub-3!

Oh i know !

One comment would be that your splits look a little wobbly, with a wide spread from 6:16 to 7:14. Ideally in a tempo run, or indeed a race, you should be looking to keep it constant at 6:52, as you'll gain much more from this.

Was the route particularly hilly?
    No,a few tough climbs,but overall a decent route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Q ....i just picked 6:30 pace out of the sky for my tempos...what should it be ?
    Would a 10m tempo be to much ? should i keep it to 6/8 ?

Hi SOSA
    Check out McMILLAN but I'd say your tempo should be done in region 06:13-06:30 pace
    I think 10m tempo would be considered a bit on the long side. Generally anything up to 6 miles is the longest for a tempo run as this session is considered to be done fairly hard. They shouldn't really be done every week.
    If you wanted to do a relatively hard 10m it might to be done at marathon pace i.e. sub 3 at 6:52
    It's odd sometimes how you plan sessions out and they turn out nothing like what you intended. I left the house on Sat am planning 11 miles at 07:15/m. Ended up doing mile 1 at 07:15, then miles 2-6 all at 07:02 then last 5 at 06:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Ideally in a tempo run, or indeed a race, you should be looking to keep it constant at 6:52, as you'll gain much more from this.

I often wonder about this. Is trying to run exact splits in a race actually the best way of getting your fastest time? If so, why?

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Hi SOSA
    Check out McMILLAN but I'd say your tempo should be done in region 06:13-06:30 pace

Yeah,had a look,cheers abhainn ...

Advertisement