Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ...I can't stop running !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

5m Race -Anne Valley - 31:45 - 6:21 Pace PB
    15m Home - 2:01:47 - 8:07 Pace

20m @ 7:40 Pace overall

Right...where do i start...Race went well,very hilly course meant i was not going under 31 and with the run home aswell probably went to fast.
    That was the fun part...then it went horribly wrong.
    We had a drink and i had a bananna and a raisin elevenses,put the leggings,hat,high vis top and jacket on and set off home nice and handy.
    Mr Navigator as i am going to call him from now on told me it was roughly 5m to Tramore,then 7-7.5 home from there...grand i said.
    It was 10 to Tramore and another 7-7.5 home from there....we both were flogged...I did 15 and walked the last 2m to my house as i had enough.
    I have just got out of the bath where i would have gladly stayed for ever.

I had never done 20 before today and i know it was 5 and 15 but i would imagine much tougher than any LSR of 20 on its own.

Its safe to say i will not be running that distance after a race ever again.
    Jesus it was tough...i got the sense that it was how you would feel finishing a marathon.

But the positives were a 5m PB and my first ever 20 :D

What i should have added in was i actually stopped and walked the last 2m to my house after doing 20...we were that far off course.
    What was meant to be 5 + 12 turned out to be 5 + 15 and 2m walk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey Sosa another great PB, I just wonder did the fact that you knew you had to run home after play on your mind at any point, restricting you in anyway. Great running.

Woddle wrote: »
    Hey Sosa another great PB, I just wonder did the fact that you knew you had to run home after play on your mind at any point, restricting you in anyway. Great running.

No,i was stupid enough to go for it.
    That race is the toughest 5 miler in these parts,i was delighted with the time,I did 6:11 pace for our winter league 5.2m so im pretty sure that i can get under 31 mins on the right course for 5m.

Im paying for it today though,thighs are like cement :mad:
    If i run tomorrow it will only be 4/5 very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Great running Sosa on a hilly course as well.

ike wrote: »
    Great running Sosa on a hilly course as well.

Cheers Ike...but it was foolish really,not planned properly enough.
    But,you live and learn...it will never happen again

• Advertisement

5m @ 7:53 Pace

Woke up this morning and the legs were not as weary as yesterday,thank god !
    So,i decided to go for 5 and see what happened,i could have turned off to do 3 or 4 if i needed to,but managed the 5.
    The legs were stiff,but hopefully i loosened them up a bit.

I will be taking each day as it comes this week,as i have a 5m race on Sunday in Kilmacthomas and i think it might be a good oppurtunity for another PB.
    Alot of races coming up really,this Sunday in Kilmac,next Sunday is the Dungarvan 10k and then Ballycotton the following week.

Ideally i would be aiming for PB's the next two weekends and not Ballycotton.
    With 3600 entrants...cant see myself getting in any position to challenge my PB up there...which is no harm anyway after what the Dungarvan 10 took out of me !

12m @ 8:15 Pace

I am still suffering from Saturdays treacharous combination of runs.
    I could have done 5/6 yesterday but the day went away from me and decided to do 12 this morning instead.
    SUNGOD joined me which was a help,thankfully he was feeling it also...so he is human after all !
    I started getting tired from 8 onwards,very tired at the end,the tightness was coming back into the legs.
    The plan now is to skip tomorrow aswell for more recouperation and 5/6 on Friday...rest Saturday and 5m race on Sunday.
    TBH even with this few miles this week i don't know if i will have it in the legs to try set another PB on Sunday.
    10k race next Sunday in Dungarvan aswell followed by Ballycotton...something has to give !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Sosa wrote: »
    5m race on Sunday.
    TBH even with this few miles this week i don't know if i will have it in the legs to try set another PB on Sunday.
    10k race next Sunday in Dungarvan aswell followed by Ballycotton...something has to give !

Why not knock the next 2 races on the head and give Ballycotton a good lash? Would you rather run 3 subpar races or 1 good one? I'd continue recovering until the weekend, then have a hard 10 days training before winding down for BC. 3 races in 3 weeks off a tired base - not my idea of fun. 4 races > 5miles in 4 weeks = increasingly poor performance IMHO.

Why not knock the next 2 races on the head and give Ballycotton a good lash?

That would be sensible RF,but i kinda want to do the 5m race this Sunday,i could take or leave next weeks 10k...and as for Ballycotton...i would love to go up here and try for a new PB but from what i hear its not the place to do it.
    3600 entries on tight country roads will not be ideal,and if i cant go sub 64:40 ...it would not bother me to do it in 70+.

Thats not being defeatest but i would like to enjoy the day rather than weaving between people killing myself.
    My PB of 64:40 will do me for a while,im not that greedy.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Sosa wrote: »
    and as for Ballycotton...i would love to go up here and try for a new PB but from what i hear its not the place to do it.
    3600 entries on tight country roads will not be ideal,and if i cant go sub 64:40

I don't think it's a hard course - testing would be a better descriptor. Any difficulties with the course itself may well be made up for by the fact that the field is so deep, if you're finishing at 64mins I imagine you'd more or less have 1 a second finishing, so you'd basically be racing for 10 miles. Most 10 milers, you might race for 3 to 4 miles then you're on your own - this makes a fair difference I think. Obviously if you're stuck behind 3,600 it will be difficult, but get there early and you might get a place near the front. BC is the only 10 mile race I do now every year - if it was an unlikely PB place I'd go nowhere near it:D.

• Advertisement

Days rest tomorrow,5/6m on Friday ( nice and handy ),
    Rest Saturday,Race Sunday...That will be only 27m for the week,my lowest since last summer.
    Next week i will take as it comes.
    As i sit here right now i do feel tired,i have had a tough last few weeks,with races,long runs,winter league nights,bad preperation and doing to much after races,i have not really alowed my legs time to recoup.

I could plan the next 2 weeks similar to this one,low mileage and concentrate on the races as i have no marahon coming up and could be back to putting up a few miles after ballycotton which is only 3 weeks away.

I want to have another crack at a PB for 5m this week,and next week for the 10k :D

6m @ 7:42 Pace

Beautiful morning down these parts,lovely and crisp.
    I had the shorts on for the first morning run of the year which i suppose is a turning point,SUNGOD was dressed for running up with hop the pop and slogger in the snowy wicklow mountains.

As for the run itself,i am stil kind of tired,motivation lacking slighty as a result,but happy overall with the pace.

Race Sunday now,no idea whats going to happen there,would like another PB,but it may not be possible !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I take it you won't be running to and from Kilmac then Sosa?
    I'll probably see you there.
    Race Sunday now,no idea whats going to happen there,would like another PB,but it may not be possible !
    I'm in the same boat as you, my legs just feel dead at the moment, hopefully a couple of days rest is all that's needed.

showry wrote: »
    I take it you won't be running to and from Kilmac then Sosa?
    I'll probably see you there.

:D ....never again showry...very harsh lesson learned.
    I just thought of it as the mileage i was covering,never took into account what the race would take out of me....

Yeah,Myself and SUNGOD are going so will keep an eye out for you.

What dose'nt kill you makes you stronger! ;)

ike wrote: »
    What dose'nt kill you makes you stronger! ;)

Hope your right !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

well done i started out doing 1 crappy mile , that was about 6 months ago (and i don't like to admit it but i was wrecked after it )
    it was some sports event and i was appalled by how unfit i was , now i'm getting there i starting going to the gym and now i do 10km on the treadmill and a couple of reps on other machines ,
    anyway keep up the great progess

good stuff kenno90 ...i myself started with a 2m loop of my house about 15 months ago,i thought this running malarky was going to be handy as i played sports all my life...could not have been more wrong...its tough going...there are no hiding places out there you cannot free wheel down a hill like a cyclist ...it all yakes its toll...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

haha very true, it's mad how when your first doing it your forcing yourself to go out and do it ,

a few months down the line it becomes a part of every day life ,

a few more months you are forcing yourself to cut back lol :D
    it's amazing what some good music and a little motivation can get ya

5m race in Kilmacthomas - 30:10 - PB

Great day for me again ....set out for 30:50 ...6:10 pace
    really felt that i could achieve that.
    Mile 1 - 5:38
    Mile 2 - 6:27
    Mile 3 - 6:13
    Mile 4 - 6:09
    Mile 5 - 5:43

Total - 30:10

Smashed my PB by 1min 35 sec ...delighted with that.

No hiding from the fact theat i can do sub 30 minutes now.
    Next 5m race mid july...flatish GSK 5m route...looking forward to it.

Nice chat with Showry afterwards who i believe went under 32 mins...good to see the boardsies doing well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Great running Sosa. Sub 30 is within touching distance. Great last mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Thats a brilliant time Sosa, great to see your progress as this log goes on, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Some running Sosa, nice to meet ye again today.
    Thought ye'd still be in Kilmac eating sangwiches or have they t'internet in Kirwans?

Great running Sosa - I like the way the last 4 miles all got faster, a mate of mine smashed the 30 min barrier today and was totally buzzed.

showry wrote: »
    Some running Sosa, nice to meet ye again today.
    Thought ye'd still be in Kilmac eating sangwiches or have they t'internet in Kirwans?

Would you believe they finally ran out of coffee cake ...SUNGOD is not happy !
    I think its the caffeine that keeps him going !

cheers lads and possible ladies,
    30:09 official time on west wat site,so,fantastic to know im only 10 seconds away for 29:59.
    I will achieve this at the GSK 5 in July.

Still have not achieved any of Racing Flats big 8...but they are so close

If i go to the Dungarvan 10k next week,its a great oppurtunity to get one marked off the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great PB Sosa and if the 5 mile in July is as fast as you's are all saying I'll be there aiming for a PB myself. Super running and you never know might bump into yourself and Sungod at Ballycotton.

6.3m @ 7:15 Pace

Felt great this morning as my mind is still buzzing from yesterday,actually had to hold myself back a touch at times.
    Last week worked out great in the end,similar approach now for Sundays 10k in Dungarvan :
    Monday - 6.3m
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - 12/13m
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - 6m ( Slow )
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Race

My schedule for last week,this week and next week does not do much for the high milers but i felt fresh at the race Sunday,hence my time,so if i can do aswell this Sunday,i will have another low mileage week leading up to Ballycotton

Woddle wrote: »
    Great PB Sosa and if the 5 mile in July is as fast as you's are all saying I'll be there aiming for a PB myself. Super running and you never know might bump into yourself and Sungod at Ballycotton.

Cheers Woddle,
    Alot of the seasoned runners down this way say that its a great oppurtnity for a PB,Myself and SUNGOD set PB's up there last year as did loads others.
    Even the foreign lads that were battling it out to win it set PB's.
    2 or 3 runners under 25 mins.
    actually the winner yesterday set a PB...24:40 or something like that
    I will be aiming for Sub 30 at that,i dont think i have a 5m race until then anyway,plenty of others though,4m,6m,10k,7.5m,10m

I'd say the chances of meeting in Ballycotton are slim,3600 entries :eek:
    But,we will keep an eye out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

30:09 gives you a 2:57 marathon according to McMillan. Great stuff SOSA

Advertisement