Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ...I can't stop running !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Abhainn wrote: »
    30:09 gives you a 2:57 marathon according to McMillan. Great stuff SOSA

Yeah,i looked it up last night.
    We will see how the training goes over the summer months.
    I have already brought my predicted time from 3:30 to sub 3:15 ...we will leave it as it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Running 30:09 over 5 miles and then going out for a 6 mile run at 7:15 pace the following day. Think you might be a little too conservative at 3:15 marathon. Would be very interested in seeing some times over longer races.

You're in great shape.

Peckham wrote: »
    Running 30:09 over 5 miles and then going out for a 6 mile run at 7:15 pace the following day. Think you might be a little too conservative at 3:15 marathon. Would be very interested in seeing some times over longer races.

You're in great shape.

Thanks Peckham,I see you have built your running back up nicely aswell.

I'm trying my best not to get to carried away.
    Realistically,i will be doing Dublin...Berlin is fading as the weeks go by.
    that is not for another 8 months...long way to go yet.
    Only before Christmas i was aiming at 3:30...but then my race times went a bit banannas...so i brought it down to 3:15
    I ran 64:40 at the Dungarvan 10 a few weeks ago,but looking back now my preperation was awful,reckon if i get somewhere near the front up in Ballycotton i might even beat that :rolleyes:

11.5m @ 7:18 Pace

Did not feel like running this morning,but as so many have said recently,once you get out the door your fine,as was the case with me today.
    I had a 12m route planned but did not feel like going out that road today,so i kind of made it up as i went along,i could have went past my house a bit on the way back to get to 12,but i find it hard to pass off my house without going in.

Pace-wise,i was not intending that but just kept going really,i did tire a bit as the last 2.5m is a drag ( nothing like the wickolw mountains that slogger and DP scoot up though).

Rest tomorrow,6m Friday,Rest Sat,Dungarvan 10k Sunday !

6m @ 7:38 Pace

Last run before Sundays 10k,so it was nice and handy.
    It has now been 19 days since i did back to back runs.
    and with ballycotton next Sunday i will be continuing that trend.
    That will be 26 days without running two days in a row.
    Since i decided to do this leading up to a race my times has got increasingly better,just shows the importance of rest.
    Its a bit frustrating though as i was used to going maybe 3 days in a row,day off,2 days ...but the proof is in the pudding !

As soon as i get over ballycotton,i will be back logging a few miles for the high milers again before the Waterford AC 4m race on Sunday 29th March.

Anyone looking for a PB for a 4 miler,this is the race,totally flat route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Sosa wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a PB for a 4 miler,this is the race,totally flat route.

This was my first race back after about a 6 month layoff last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to getting back into my old routine after BallyC as well, haven't had a track session in ages. Seems to have been a race nearly every week since Mallow.

Dungarvan 10k - 38:45 New PB ( old one 41:17 )

After last weeks exploits i thought Sub 38 was there for me this morning,but it was not to be,felt ok mile 1,felt terrible mile 2,a bit of a recovery on that down hill section on mile 3,felt great for mile 4,wanted to stop at the 5m marker and just struggled home from there.
    I had very little kick for the last 200m which is unlike me,normally i find it somewhere ....i think i left it in Kilmac last week.

A big difference between 5m and 10k...much more than the 1.2m suggests.

All in all i have to be happy,but i'm not ...wanted sub 38 today,so it will have to be another day.

Splits :
    Mile 1 - 6:00
    Mile 2 - 6:12
    Mile 3 - 6:18
    Mile 4 - 6:15
    Mile 5 - 6:16
    Mile 6 - 6:17
    0.2 - 1:27

On the plus side i can mark off my first of Racing Flats Big 8.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats Sosa, I think its time to start getting more involved with your club and coaches as I'm sure they'll push you on to even greater times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Splits :
    Mile 1 - 6:00
    Mile 2 - 6:12
    Mile 3 - 6:18
    Mile 4 - 6:15
    Mile 5 - 6:16
    Mile 6 - 6:17
    0.2 - 1:27

There goes my theory of the marker at mile 4 being in the wrong place. I did mile 3 in 6:16 and 4 in 6:45, despite it being flat with the wind at our backs. That's where it went wrong for me.
    Good running Sosa, nice meeting you again, I'm sure we'll meet over tea and brack, if not on the course, in the summer series.

showry wrote: »
    There goes my theory of the marker at mile 4 being in the wrong place. I did mile 3 in 6:16 and 4 in 6:45, despite it being flat with the wind at our backs. That's where it went wrong for me.
    Good running Sosa, nice meeting you again, I'm sure we'll meet over tea and brack, if not on the course, in the summer series.

Oh..we will be up there...definitely for the GSK 5 anyway...not sure about Marine Climb,Clashmore or Dromana...will decide nearer the time.
    Alot of races coming up,March 29th 4 miler down here and a 10k in Tramore on 5th april...then your into summer series at the end of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Oh..we will be up there...definitely for the GSK 5 anyway...not sure about Marine Climb,Clashmore or Dromana...will decide nearer the time.
    Alot of races coming up,March 29th 4 miler down here and a 10k in Tramore on 5th april...then your into summer series at the end of April.

Great running sosa. Massive improvements. Puts you at 3.05.
    That young one has now finished in front of you the last two races. Get past her nxt time and never let her take you again.

How you get on Showery ???

Great running sosa. Massive improvements. Puts you at 3.05.
    That young one has now finished in front of you the last two races. Get past her nxt time and never let her take you again.

How you get on Showery ???

I am intrigued ...you obviously know me.

I am intrigued ...you obviously know me.
    No just had the results here in front of me as i was there and rem that she done 30.01 in kilmacthomas. I ran thru first mile in htat time so I may have come accross you in the race. 5th mile was a curse. Glad to pass that line.
    Thats a massive PB. Improve 10 seconds a mile and another min will go. You def are one to watch.
    What have you done to improve so much ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Congrats Sosa. Fantastic to get a PB even by a few seconds. To break it by the extent you did is just massive.

No just had the results here in front of me as i was there and rem that she done 30.01 in kilmacthomas. I ran thru first mile in htat time so I may have come accross you in the race. 5th mile was a curse. Glad to pass that line.
    Thats a massive PB. Improve 10 seconds a mile and another min will go. You def are one to watch.
    What have you done to improve so much ??

I was aiming for 6:10 pace today ( Sub 38 mins ),just was not to be,but will happen.

She was my marker today after being ahead of me all the way last week,
    Set out to stay in touch but drifted about 70/80m behind at one stage,clawed it back a bit by the end...ah well 8 seconds last week,6 this week ...getting there.

The only difference in my running since christmas is i had previously being setting out to do 6:30 pace and thought that was the fastest i could do,until i had a lash at a 4 miler over the christmas,then i kinda woke up a bit and realised i can go faster if i start faster and just try maintain it.

Congrats Sosa. Fantastic to get a PB even by a few seconds. To break it by the extent you did is just massive.
    Thanks Slogger,but they are starting to get harder to beat now
    I am delighted with my 4m/5m PB's...a tad dissapointed not to go sub 38 today,but it gives me something to aim for.
    I much prefer 4/5m races though...those 10k and especially 10m are killers.

Wait til you try those munster imra hill races :)

Wait til you try those munster imra hill races :)

There is one in May down here in the comeragh mountains,i have it marked on my race calendar i made up.10k with a 7 out of 10 degree of difficulty ...if i do it i am doing it for the scenery,i am made of softer stuff than you and donothoponpop...i will not be racing it !

Would you recommend it ?
    Its not going to bust me up or anything...is it ?
    For example ...if i can do 6:14 min miles today for a normal 10k ...what would i be looking at for one of these IMRA's ?
    In other words...how much harder is it ?,i know everyone is different ...but am i looking at an extra 30 seconds a mile...a minute maybe ?
    Myself,Sungod and a few friends may just give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskydisco

You should do the "Warrior's Run" in Sligo. It's on the last Sunday of August. It involves a ten mile run - half up a hill, half down a hill.
    I reckon it would be right up your alley Sosa!

riskydisco wrote: »
    You should do the "Warrior's Run" in Sligo. It's on the last Sunday of August. It involves a ten mile run - half up a hill, half down a hill.
    I reckon it would be right up your alley Sosa!

I'll get Sungod to do it with me...he can do the uphill 5 ....shur he'd love that ...i'll free wheel home on he downhill 5 ... :D

• Advertisement

4m @ 7:50 Pace

Recovery trot around today ...badly needed after yesterdays effort.
    I also played an hour of basketball for the club fundraiser yesterday evening...which felt good at the time,but i am stiff after it.
    I had not touched a basketball for 18 months prior to yesterday,no idea how that would go,i was actually terrified of getting injured but thankfully that did not happen,all went well and great to meet up with some of the lads and club people i spent so much time with over the years.
    But,i will not coming out of retirement......
    I am runner now ... Basketball is a distant memory ...never thought i would say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Fine PB SOSA. You will get sub 38 yet

I was aiming for 6:10 pace today ( Sub 38 mins ),just was not to be,but will happen.

She was my marker today after being ahead of me all the way last week,
    Set out to stay in touch but drifted about 70/80m behind at one stage,clawed it back a bit by the end...ah well 8 seconds last week,6 this week ...getting there.

The only difference in my running since christmas is i had previously being setting out to do 6:30 pace and thought that was the fastest i could do,until i had a lash at a 4 miler over the christmas,then i kinda woke up a bit and realised i can go faster if i start faster and just try maintain it.
    She seems to run every race so nxt time you will get her. Then you will target another. And all of a sudden you will be targetting 37.

#you doing a marathon this year ?? I see you said you rather the shorter races.

She seems to run every race so nxt time you will get her. Then you will target another. And all of a sudden you will be targetting 37.

#you doing a marathon this year ?? I see you said you rather the shorter races.

We will see how it goes,
    I am doing a marathon this year.
    I would say Dublin,i wanted to do Berlin all along but does not look likely now.
    Still refer the shorter races though ...

Hi Sosa, every hill run is different so its hard to give a straight answer to your question. I'm not familiar with the Comeraghs route (but I'll do my best to squeeze it into my schedule if possible). If theres a fair amount of trail / fire road involved the speeds can be quite fast. Or even if its on mountain path it can fast too, if its not boggy. My avg km pace on Saturday was 4:30 min km. Thats about 40 seconds slower than my PB pace for 10K (and it was comparable distance). Other hill races where there is rougher, rockier and/or boggier grown could have you walking in parts and the pace will drop considerably. Croagh Patrick being a case in point, going up at least :)

We will see how it goes,
    I am doing a marathon this year.
    I would say Dublin,i wanted to do Berlin all along but does not look likely now.
    Still refer the shorter races though ...

As you put in the miles you will like the long races. I done berlin in 08 and dublin in 07. Berlin is unreal. Got a great deal this year. Cheap flight for 4 nights all in for less than 400 in a 4 star. Nice ot be comfortable. Good bed surroundings etc.
    Dublin is also great and if its your first no matter where you do it it will be an unreal exp.
    Your times are coming down fast and will a little more improvemnet you will have a go at breaking the three hours.

8m @ 7:35 Pace

Brilliant sunshine all the way round today,lovely morning.
    Felt stiff all day Monday and especially yesterday ( the oul second day syndrome )after the hours basketball Sunday evening ( nothing to do with the 10k )but back this morning,muscle at top of both legs under the hip bone still a bit sore to touch but no effect running...thank god.

I had 5 planned for tomorrow but the weather is supposed to get bad and i would rather a rest day tomorrow as i plan to run Friday and Saturday,so i might do it later today if i get a chance,if not i'll just skip it.

4.3m @ 6:50 Pace

I was going to do 5,but did 4.3 to tidy up my 1000m challenge.
    Didnt see the point of strolling around tonight,so i wanted under 7 min miles and i got it,felt great after it but still made the right decision to knock ballycotton on the head.
    Good to do a double session also,i have not done many.
    Rest tomorrow and hopefully 25m between Friday and Saurday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I was going to do 5,but did 4.3 to tidy up my 1000m challenge.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Woddle, what have you done?!?

:D

• Advertisement

14m @ 7:22 Pace

Drizzly morning out so it was nice and cool even though i was wrapped up well.
    Plenty of hills today but a nice few downhill sections also which was nice.
    felt good all the way around, did not bring a drink because i planned to stop at a shop half way round,i was about a half mile past the shop before i remembered so i kept going,surprised at how well i coped without it.

I will be running in the morning,dont know yet what distance,i will let the body decide that,but it will be much slower whatever i do.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2376926

Don't normally put these up but felt today was a good days training,so have a read if ye want.
    Only basic Garmin so no elevation,maps or heart rate.

Advertisement