Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ...I can't stop running !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fair play, showing great restraint and being sensible. I think I would have been silly enough to do the extra 1.4 to hit a 100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Woddle wrote: »
    I think I would have been silly enough to do the extra 1.4 to hit a 100 :D

The week is not done yet,Woddle ...

I will pass the 100 mark tomorrow morning.
    I am planning 5 or 6m at 7 min pace or close to that.

Would you believe it if i told you the almighty SUNGOD was even tired today !

6m @ 6:38 Pace

Delighted with my run this morning,missed the winter league last night so i wanted a good fast session under my belt as tomorrow i will be doing 10 with a friend who has never run 10 before ( so it will be slow ) and yesterdays planned 10 was reduced to a slow 6.

I woke up thinking,oh no ...wind rain ...really did not want to be pushing it,but off i went and ended up breaking 40 min (39:45 )
    It was the fastest i have ever run on my own.

One of my goals this year is breaking 40 mins for 10k ( PB 41:17 )so i am well on track.
    There is a 10k in Dungarvan March 1st ...so i'll be going for it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Sosa wrote: »
    6m @ 6:38 Pace

Delighted with my run this morning,missed the winter league last night so i wanted a good fast session under my belt as tomorrow i will be doing 10 with a friend who has never run 10 before ( so it will be slow ) and yesterdays planned 10 was reduced to a slow 6.

I woke up thinking,oh no ...wind rain ...really did not want to be pushing it,but off i went and ended up breaking 40 min (39:45 )
    It was the fastest i have ever run on my own.

One of my goals this year is breaking 40 mins for 10k ( PB 41:17 )so i am well on track.
    There is a 10k in Dungarvan March 1st ...so i'll be going for it there.

Great pace there Sosa, you're flying. That sub40 10k will be no problem to you. The progress here on your log has been most impressive.

Cheers Pops...i am feeling good lately.
    Thats SUNGOD for you though,you kinda have to keep up or get left behind.

I have a good few races coming up ( dont know how many of them i will be doing though ) 5m,10k and two 10m,so i want to try set a few new PB's.

Mad to do a spring marathon,but that might not happen.
    It will be Berlin or Dublin

• Advertisement

12.5m @ 8:04 Pace

Looks like i got the best weather the weekend is going to offer...the wind and rain only started picking up with about 1.5m to home ....that always makes me happy when i know i have escaped a wetting.

Went with a friend this morning,and i was surprised how easily enough he coped with his first ever 10,i would estimate about 8:15-8:20 pace for the 10,i though we would be looking at 9 min miles,

Sometimes i find that if you run slower that your normal you get stiff even though you are going slower ....that happened this morning ,so i stretched the legs out a bit for the other part i did on my own.

Glad to be finished for the week.
    53.5m.... my most by 8m in a week.
    The next 2 weeks i will not do as much though,maybe 40 each.
    Dungarvan 10 on feb 1st ....thats the big one for me in the immediate future.

9.2m @ 7:25 Pace

An up and down run this morning,felt great for the first 2m then tired for around 2...then got going again,then slowed down again.
    I suppose you would call it a tempo run as the pace was varied,not much consistency this morning.
    Happy with that but was tired at the end,a few snow flakes started to fall for the last mile or so.

5m race on Saturday ...not sure if i will do it yet,not a big fan of the afternoon races at the w/e,much rather an 11am start.
    A good 10 miler being the exception though !
    Dungarvan and Ballycotton to name two coming up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Heh Sosa you are flying. Judging by your times I expect a great PB from you in Dungarvan.
    I think you say you are not intending to do a marathon in the Spring? It would seem a waste if that is the case as your putting some great work in.
    A couple more long runs up to 20-21 miles and you would be well prepared to achieve your marathon goal early in the year.

Abhainn wrote: »
    I think you say you are not intending to do a marathon in the Spring? It would seem a waste if that is the case as your putting some great work in.

Yeah,it would be a waste alright ...i missed out on connamara,just left it to late...might go to belfast early may...i would actually like to do one late march early april as i feel im not far away from being ready.

I am either doing Berlin or Dublin...thats a certainty
    Belfast ....would be ideal...just to go and do 26.2 ....then have a right crack at Berlin or Dublin

Abhainn wrote: »
    Heh Sosa you are flying. Judging by your times I expect a great PB from you in Dungarvan.
    quote]

Cheers,Abhainn,Im not going to get carried away ...i did 66:10 last october when i was aiming for sub 70.
    Sub 65 would be a dream ...would not want to be over 66 though.

• Advertisement

No run today ...
    last night i started to get all tingly,like a cold or flu was setting in.
    I normally would sleep through an earthquake but was tossing and turning most of the night freezing cold. :mad:
    I took some uni-flu,had a lemsip,plenty of vitamin c...
    Usually when i feel like this its only 24hrs,rarely any longer.
    so,i hope to get out for a run tomorrow at some stage,but we will have to wait and see.
    Pity...my week is trown out now.
    I wanted to go Mon,Tue,Rest Wed,double session on Thursday,Rest Fri and either 5m race on Sat or LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

No run today ...
    last night i started to get all tingly,like a cold or flu was setting in.
    I normally would sleep through an earthquake but was tossing and turning most of the night freezing cold. :mad:
    I took some uni-flu,had a lemsip,plenty of vitamin c...
    Usually when i feel like this its only 24hrs,rarely any longer.
    so,i hope to get out for a run tomorrow at some stage,but we will have to wait and see.
    Pity...my week is trown out now.
    I wanted to go Mon,Tue,Rest Wed,double session on Thursday,Rest Fri and either 5m race on Sat or LSR.

its only a minor set back , you will be back running in a couple of days..fingers crossed .
    thankfully its not an injury...i will probably give that 5 mile race a miss and go for a LSR on sat/sun let me know how you are fixed.
    a mini break is no harm at all and will probably be good for you as you have been putting in a lot of miles lately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Agree with sungod. You need to be extra careful with the step-back weeks/days/time when you up the intensity as you have done. Better a couple of easy days now, than getting properly run down.

SUNGOD wrote: »
    i will probably give that 5 mile race a miss and go for a LSR on sat/sun let me know how you are fixed.

i was thinking the same,i wont get a long one in the following week with dungarvan on the sunday.
    The wife came home with nurofen + or something like that...some stuff,starting to come around,thank god.
    Was a bit worried earlier ...could barely put one foot in front of the other,all i was thinking about was the running.
    The wife says its man-flu ....maybe she is right !

Agree with sungod. You need to be extra careful with the step-back weeks/days/time when you up the intensity as you have done. Better a couple of easy days now, than getting properly run down.

yeah,i have upped the mileage lately alright,but i would say its more so my 5 year coughing all over me the last week when he was sick.
    If i feel ok tomorrow i might just do a slow 4m ....

5m @ 7:33 Pace

Back in action this morning.
    Felt much better going to bed last night so i knew i'd be ok today.
    I brought Wolfmother along with me for encouragement.
    Got away with it weather wise as its milling out right now...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Got away with it weather wise as its milling out right now...:D

im looking out the window deciding wether to go now or wait till later:(

6.1m @ 8:01 Pace

Decided to go for a 4 miler to see how i was,after 2 i wanted to be at home,after 3 i was nearly thumbing a lift home,then when i got to the turn off for 4m i decided to do 5,then i went for 6 and surprisingly the last two miles were more comfortable than the first 4 albeit much slower.

Happy to have got out though,will make a decision on the weekends running later tonight.

9.5m @ 8:28 Pace

Did not want to go at all this morning,still feeling the effects.
    I dont have much energy,appetite not great.
    Glad to get it done and even more happy with the pace,would not have been able for anything faster.

30m for the week considering i was laid up for most of it is not a total waste of a week.

Any suggestions on how i should lead up to the dungarvan 10 next week,should i try do a normal week,or an other easy week...that would be two in a row though if i did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Any suggestions on how i should lead up to the dungarvan 10 next week,should i try do a normal week,or an other easy week...that would be two in a row though if i did that.

Bit of a catch 22. I'm in a similar boat, having not run with a cold since last Tuesday week, went for a 3 mile jog this Tuesday hoping to get back for Raheny, set me back, so rested again till Friday - was feeling fine, but sluggish on run and cold worse afterwards and this am. Had toyed with Dungarvan next week instead, but inclined to think now I'm going to wait till I'm absolutely perfect before running again and then aiming at Ballycotton 6 weeks away, enough time to get fully fit again (if I don't get in I'll find another race around then). Never missed this much time...

Anyway, if I was you...normally I'd have done tempo run today, shorter speed session than normal on the Tuesday before the weekend race (e.g. 4 x 1k instead of 6). But having missed a few sessions with time off, if feeling perfect I'd do 20mins at 10mile race pace on Monday or Tuesday. If I was feeling any way not 100% I wouldn't risk the session, I'd just jog easy all week and hope that I pull it out of the bag during the race. Good luck with it.

Edit - reason I'd do a tempo rather than an interval session is that I imagine lactate threshold would be more of a limiting factor than speed in a 10mile race, so having missed sessions and having to prioritise one, that's what I'd pick.

• Advertisement

if feeling perfect I'd do 20mins at 10mile race pace on Monday or Tuesday. If I was feeling any way not 100% I wouldn't risk the session, I'd just jog easy all week and hope that I pull it out of the bag during the race. Good luck with it.

Cheers RF,hope your back on the road sooner rather than later.

I was planning on doing around 14 Monday.
    Tuesday i was planning anything between 6 - 10 depending how monday went.
    Day of rest Wednesday.
    Thursday i have the winter league,i could do that 5.2m at 10 mile race pace ( or would that be to close to the race ? )
    Friday - 5m recovery run ( over 8 min miles )
    Rest Sat
    Race Sunday

How does that sound ? To much maybe ?
    My thinking is that i get the miles out of the way by tuesday,all i have then is 5.2 on Thursday and 5 Friday morning.

All this depends on feeling strong enough obviously,but i think i am turning the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I was planning on doing around 14 Monday.
    Tuesday i was planning anything between 6 - 10 depending how monday went.
    Day of rest Wednesday.
    Thursday i have the winter league,i could do that 5.2m at 10 mile race pace ( or would that be to close to the race ? )
    Friday - 5m recovery run ( over 8 min miles )
    Rest Sat
    Race Sunday

How does that sound ? To much maybe ?
    My thinking is that i get the miles out of the way by tuesday,all i have then is 5.2 on Thursday and 5 Friday morning.

All this depends on feeling strong enough obviously,but i think i am turning the corner

Way too much IMHO. But it depends - do you want a peak performance in the 10mile, or are you training through it on the way to a marathon - if that's the case, I can see how you might want to do the 14. But if you want to race at your best Sunday, leave out the 14, do no more than 20 hard Tuesday or Wednesday at the lastest, and otherwise just short easy runs. 5 hard thursday way too much too late, I think.

Way too much IMHO.do you want a peak performance in the 10mile

I want to run the fastest next Sunday that i am capable of.
    I have no plans for a spring marathon,highly unlikely that i will at this stage.

thanks for the advice RF...i have no idea how to prepare for these things.
    i'll knock the 14 on the head ...

6.1m @ 6:47 Pace

I woke up this morning and for the first time in around 7 days i felt good.
    So,with that i decided to hit the road.
    After listeneing to Racing Flats advice,i did a tempo run :
    Mile 1 - 6:55
    Mile 2 - 6:41
    Mile 3 - 6:26
    Mile 4 - 6:26
    Mile 5 - 7:08
    Mile 6 - 7:07

I was trying to do mile 3,4,5 at 6:30 Pace,but i got tired just starting mile 5 so decided not to push it,but having said that mile 2 was not to far away.
    So all in all very happy with my morning session,i just hope i dont feel the effects later.
    I hope to do the same tomorrow morning,then handy short runs up to Sunday.

6m @ 7:01 Pace

I set out to do the same as yesterday morning,but just felt to tired to do the 3x6:30 min miles in the middle
    So instead i decided to do 6 x 7 min miles,which i nearly achieved.

1 - 00:07:04
    2 - 00:06:53
    3 - 00:06:47
    4 - 00:06:49
    5 - 00:07:29
    6 - 00:06:54

delighted to have 2 good sessions behind me,casual runs now leading up to Sunday...nothing faster than 7:30 Pace.

Got my chip and race number in the post earlier ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good running SOSA! Quick question, what happened on mile 5? Oh and why 2 tempo runs in 2 days? Just curious :)

MCOS wrote: »
    Good running SOSA! Quick question, what happened on mile 5? Oh and why 2 tempo runs in 2 days? Just curious :)

Basically,i was knackered after mile 4,so took a breather,then got to the 5m marker at 35mins ,so i pushed on to get under 42 mins for the 6

Why 2 tempo runs in two days ? don't know really,part of me wanted to see if i could do the same tough session two days on the spin and last week was very non productive for me so i wanted to do 2 quality sessions early in the week to get them out of the way,now i'll take it easy leading up the Dungarvan 10.

6m @ 7:48 Pace

Lovely handy run this morning with SUNGOD,a fresh crisp morning was perfect for running.
    I was delighted with the pace,much needed after 2 tough sessions the previous days.
    Winter League tomorrow night,i plan to take it handy around the 5.2m course,another handy one Friday morning and then rest up until Sunday.

Hopefully by then i will be bursting to get going :eek:

Winter League : 5.2m @ 7:05 Pace

The objective tonight was to go at a nice steady in controlled pace,that was 7:05 Pace...very happy with that.
    the urge to push on almost overcame me a few times but i just said to myself " you will need every ounce you have for Sunday " so i contained myself...very hard thing to do.happy i did though.

Roll on Sunday !

• Advertisement

4m @ 7:58 Pace

Brutal weather out,but i wanted to get my final few miles in before Saturday as i will be doing nothing tomorrow.

Advertisement