Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ...I can't stop running !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

wow youre flying it. well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Great stuff Sosa, 5 sub6 miles is brilliant. You must have finished well up the field. As you said yourself, another milestone ticked off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

asimonov wrote: »
    Great stuff Sosa, 5 sub6 miles is brilliant. You must have finished well up the field. As you said yourself, another milestone ticked off!

Thanks...I was 11th ...highest finish...but to be fair there was a race on thursday night in cork,the cork marathon is on monday as is a 5k close by also.
    so the hot shots were picking and choosing what they were doing.
    Still though ...over the moon to go sub 30...it was a target of mine,i only had two shots at it as i am doing the GSK 5 in july aswell as last night,but not anymore 5m races for the rest of the summer as i'll be in training for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sosa wrote: »
    Thanks...I was 11th ...highest finish...but to be fair there was a race on thursday night in cork,the cork marathon is on monday as is a 5k close by also.
    so the hot shots were picking and choosing what they were doing.
    Still though ...over the moon to go sub 30...it was a target of mine,i only had two shots at it as i am doing the GSK 5 in july aswell as last night,but not anymore 5m races for the rest of the summer as i'll be in training for Dublin

Great result. You must have been thriled. What date is that on in July ??
    Nearly 30 seconds faster that Kilmacthomas. Only one race before dublin ? I love a race but i prob do too many. break 29 in gsk ?

36s faster to be precise !

Friday 10th July is the GSK 5,looking forward to that.
    that race and maybe Ardmore in August will be the only flat out races i will do while training.
    I will be doing the blarney half in early sept @ MP and i might do the cork to cobh @ MP also ( thats only 3 weeks before so i will see how i feel leading up to it )

I have read the P & D advanced marathoning and am going to try stick to the program the best i can,to try get to the start line in the best shape possible.

As for sub 29...let me enjoy my sub 30,Sungod is always at that crack aswell...as soon as i set a new PB...its....when are you going faster ?

• Advertisement

36s faster to be precise !

Friday 10th July is the GSK 5,looking forward to that.
    that race and maybe Ardmore in August will be the only flat out races i will do while training.
    I will be doing the blarney half in early sept @ MP and i might do the cork to cobh @ MP also ( thats only 3 weeks before so i will see how i feel leading up to it )

I have read the P & D advanced marathoning and am going to try stick to the program the best i can,to try get to the start line in the best shape possible.

As for sub 29...let me enjoy my sub 30,Sungod is always at that crack aswell...as soon as i set a new PB...its....when are you going faster ?
    Puts us together now. So how will you determine marathon pace ?
    Sub 3 in Dublin ? Def on the cards. I feel i have to do a half/ten miler to see where i am at for marathon pace.
    One thing you will be is fresh if you only do 2 races.

Puts us together now. So how will you determine marathon pace ?
    Sub 3 in Dublin ? Def on the cards. I feel i have to do a half/ten miler to see where i am at for marathon pace.
    One thing you will be is fresh if you only do 2 races.

I am not pinning all my hopes on sub 3...i will train for it and try do as many of the MP runs at 6:52p ....but after seeing a good few on here ( whose training would be afew levels above mine ) not get there,it makes me throw caution to the wind...and not commint to setting that time.
    It will be my first marathon and i dont want to be devastated if i dont get a certain time.
    yeah ( on only racing twice )...thats the aim...to be as fresh as possible
    But that could change to,through injury,might get fed up of all the training and be mad for a race,or something unforeseen.
    We will see what happens.

7.5m @ 7:03 Pace

Second week in a row that i have skipped the LSR,just to hot this morning and i left it to late again,usually my 5yo would have me up at cock crow but the last two sundays he has left us in peace until nearly 10...we are taking it while we can.

The run itself was grand,i had a good breakfast a a load of water before i went and the legs felt good after Fridays race so went a bit quicker than anticipated...really hot though and wilted a bit on the last mile which is all uphill.

Low mileage now for 2 weeks in a row,think thats only 35 for this week and something similar last week...mid 40's next week all going well.

7.5m @ 7:03 Pace

Second week in a row that i have skipped the LSR,just to hot this morning and i left it to late again,usually my 5yo would have me up at cock crow but the last two sundays he has left us in peace until nearly 10...we are taking it while we can.

The run itself was grand,i had a good breakfast a a load of water before i went and the legs felt good after Fridays race so went a bit quicker than anticipated...really hot though and wilted a bit on the last mile which is all uphill.

Low mileage now for 2 weeks in a row,think thats only 35 for this week and something similar last week...mid 40's next week all going well.

Good run in that heat. Your recovery is very quick.
    On previous message I would not knock yourself. I class you at sub 3 now.

But the question is are you stronger over shorter or longer distance ??

Good run in that heat. Your recovery is very quick.
    On previous message I would not knock yourself. I class you at sub 3 now.

But the question is are you stronger over shorter or longer distance ??

shorter...IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great time SOSA.
    I was fairly happy at my achieving my first sub 30min 5 mile recently though I was slightly dissapointed at not going sub 29 on the day.

In the 6 weeks or so before the DM in Oct I would advise you to give a good craic at a half marathon. It'll be a good indicator for you in prep for the big one.
    I think there is a 15 miler between Cork and Cobh in Aug /Sept?

Abhainn wrote: »
    Great time SOSA.
    I was fairly happy at my achieving my first sub 30min 5 mile recently though I was slightly dissapointed at not going sub 29 on the day.

In the 6 weeks or so before the DM in Oct I would advise you to give a good craic at a half marathon. It'll be a good indicator for you in prep for the big one.
    I think there is a 15 miler between Cork and Cobh in Aug /Sept?

There is a half in cork 6 weeks before Dublin but the cork to cobh is only 3 weeks before,so if i do that it will only be at MP.
    would it not take to long to recover from racing a half ? I thought that would interfere with the weeks training after the half if i did that,thats why i was planning on doing it at MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

would it not take to long to recover from racing a half ? I thought that would interfere with the weeks training after the half if i did that,thats why i was planning on doing it at MP.

Arrange your marathon schedule so that the week leading up to half is like a mini taper / or easy week / step back week.
    Your previous long run should like 7-8 days before also.
    Take it easy the 4 /5 days after also, there will be no need for hard speed /tempo session either.

Personnally I enter races to race. Any MP pace work would be just a normal session to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Portlaw 5m - 29:33 PB

Forgot to press the start button on the garmin tonight...realised about 200 metres after the start...so i was uneasy for the next few minutes ,then i decided to look at the watch real time at the first mile marker and try do 4x6:00 from there...which i just about did,so i must have done the first mile somewhere between 5:20 and 5:30 ...way to fast,thats why i was wrecked i suppose.
    It was a really hot night,sun beaming down,it was also a very fair course only mile 4 was a bit of a pull,the rest was flat,couldnt ask for much more than that

Thats my second of Racing Flats big 8 ticked of the list :D
    Great going there!I went off hoping to for a sub 3836 pb and got 3702 on my watch,did first in 704 and last 706 which was almost too quick for me:o Definite PB course.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Arrange your marathon schedule so that the week leading up to half is like a mini taper / or easy week / step back week.
    Your previous long run should like 7-8 days before also.
    Take it easy the 4 /5 days after also, there will be no need for hard speed /tempo session either.

Personnally I enter races to race. Any MP pace work would be just a normal session to me.

Thanks Abhainn...i am def doing it...so will see how i am shaping up nearer the time

8m @ 7:20 Pace

Weather unreal so tried to leave it as late as possible...still to hot,carried a water bottle with me tonight and was glad of it even if it was luke warm after about 4m

8.5m @ 7:38 Pace

Really struggled tonight,thats two nights in a row i have ran and dont like it,i much prefer early morning or before dinner,stomach all over the shop tonight,i had 10 planned but the stomach said...no you don't !
    The legs felt like lumps of lead for the last 3m aswell,i am putting it down to dinner not digested,and 3/4 days of sun and bbq's out the back.
    See how i am in the morning,as Friday is bad for me and i dont want to run on Sunday.
    LSR planned for Saturday as i have not done one in 2 weeks.

15m @ 7:23 Pace

Bad week for me training wise,only 3 runs,cannot remember when the last time i only ran 3 times in a week.
    I had a decent 8 on tues...a disaster of an 8.5 on wednesday which i nearly had to stop at one stage,but the week was saved by a very good 15m this morning,felt great almost all the way and could have gone faster...but held back.
    The last 2m i started feeling the thighs tightening up ( i must go for a rub down,i think after 18 months or running ,i am due one ! ).
    I put the bad week down to the weather being really hot,the race last friday night,only getting out to run after my dinner ( hardly ideal )...and a few other obstacles.
    Hopefully back to 5 days next week...certainly 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good run sosa. did the same length run myself and was glad of the cooler weather.!

7.5m

Don't know what pace i was earlier but i would say between 7:10 and 7:25 pace...i re calibrated the watch down in the local park,so i didnt time myself today...
    I got my dates mixed up also,i was convinced that the clashmore 5m was next week,just realised that its on this Friday,so i am looking forward to that.

• Advertisement

9.5m w/8m @ 6:43 Pace

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/6687976

Great run today ....went off a bit quick...but had 2 tough hills to tackle so wanted a few seconds in the bag if it got close ( aiming for 6:52 Pace )
    I have had 3 fairly slack weeks training ( quality wise ),so happy to get this session under my belt after Saturdays good LSR and i have the 5m race this week also,that will be 3 good sessions in the space of 7 days...very happy with that.

6m @ 6:54 Pace

Way to fast with Fridays race in mind but needed to blow off a bit of steam today,not to pushed on Friday as i achieved my sub 30 a couple of weeks ago but still want to do as well as i can.

4m @ 7:51 Pace

Just a recovery trot today ....enjoyed it immensely

Clashmore 5m - 30:32 ?

I await official time but stopped the watch at that time.
    Really tough race,tougher than i expected...fast first mile that lulls you into a false sense,then a tough pull of a stretch for about 2m...then flat for about 400m and you think your over the worst of it...then the beauty...a severe half mile uphill that would slow a rampaging bull in his tracks...but the last 1.5m was all down hill...so a great finish...but all in all,a tough one and i am delighted with my time

The splits and graph tells the story ...

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/7066940

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7066940

13.5m @ 7:44 Pace

Really did not want to run this morning...felt the race in my legs even walking down the stairs for the porridge,but alas...after mile 1,i got into it...nice pace aswell which helped alot.

10m @ 7:06 Pace

Set out to do 7:30 Pace but felt really good,so just kept it going...last 2m were tough as they are uphill but happy with the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Clashmore 5m - 30:32 ?

I await official time but stopped the watch at that time.
    Really tough race,tougher than i expected...fast first mile that lulls you into a false sense,then a tough pull of a stretch for about 2m...then flat for about 400m and you think your over the worst of it...then the beauty...a severe half mile uphill that would slow a rampaging bull in his tracks...but the last 1.5m was all down hill...so a great finish...but all in all,a tough one and i am delighted with my time

The splits and graph tells the story ...

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/7066940

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7066940

Nice running on that course Sosa. Had I prepared you for it?

showry wrote: »
    Nice running on that course Sosa. Had I prepared you for it?

Theres no preparing for that...you just have to go run it.
    You were spot on in your description...but it was very tough...that severe mile...was nearly the ruination ( is that a real word ? ) of me...but got there in the end.
    I did not sample the culinary delights as it a was getting late so headed home instead for a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes as a treat :D

5m @ 8:01 Pace

Well deserved recovery run after the last 6/7 days...enjoyable

• Advertisement

Date|Miles|Ave pace|Comments

18-6-09||||
    19-6-09||||
    20-6-09||||
    21-6-09||||
    22-6-09||||
    23-6-09||||