Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant/Moan/Bitch Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ok does anyone know what happens if i failed one but my overall Gpa for the 2 semesters are 2.4 i thought if u failed 1 ur overall GPA cant be over 2

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Osu wrote: »
    Ahh rite cool. Mines 2.08. But my first semester is a paltry 1.5 :eek:

How much is each repeat worth? If I failed one and repeated that could that one repeat potentially bring me up above the 2.0 threshold?

It is worth whatever you get in the repeat.... so yes - it could bring you up.
    sky88 wrote: »
    ok does anyone know what happens if i failed one but my overall Gpa for the 2 semesters are 2.4 i thought if u failed 1 ur overall GPA cant be over 2

If you have a fail then you need to repeat. Your GPA can be over 2.0 but the result is a fail as you have not gotten enough credits for a semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

macrubicon wrote: »
    It is worth whatever you get in the repeat.... so yes - it could bring you up..

So what grade would I need in an F module repeat to bring me above 2.0 from 1.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

just noticed that u can check ur percentage now i got 31 on the subject i failed that makes me more annoyed about the result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Back for 2 :( feck sake. Total GPA for 1st yr is 1.81. Beside where is says my course it has written, "Credits 20.00 GPA 1.63 Exemption granted"...whats this exemption granted thing about?

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Do you mean your total semester gpa from 1.5 to 2.0? It cant be done just by repeating one exam.

No my fist semester GPA. I want to bring that from 1.5 to 2.0. How many exams is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Well done to everyone! :D
    Can anyone tell me what would happen in this scenario: I have to repeat a subject in August. If i fail that repeat does that mean, regardless of my current GPA and grades in my other modules, I wont be awarded my Honour Bachelor dergree at all?

Cheers, Randy.

Can anyone tell me what would happen in this scenario: I have to repeat a subject in August. If i fail that repeat does that mean, regardless of my current GPA and grades in my other modules, I wont be awarded my Honour Bachelor dergree at all?

Cheers, Randy.

Pretty much - you might have the GPA but you won't have the credits....

kildare9 wrote: »
    Back for 2 :( feck sake. Total GPA for 1st yr is 1.81. Beside where is says my course it has written, "Credits 20.00 GPA 1.63 Exemption granted"...whats this exemption granted thing about?

Most likely you have a module or subject that you were granted an excemption for. If you check your PIN E-Mail it will go through the grades and what means what etc. I think you may have an X somewhere in your grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I got all honours and a good mark in my dissertation! I'm thrilled :D

Hope everyone else is happy with their marks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I've been trying to get into my itnet email since last night and it keeps saying it's not recognising my account. And that my password is wrong. I'm 100% certain that I never changed my password!
    I only logged in about 3 weeks ago and it was grand.

I WANT MY RESULTS.

But anyway, hope everyone else is happy with theirs. :)

I've been trying to get into my itnet email since last night and it keeps saying it's not recognising my account. And that my password is wrong. I'm 100% certain that I never changed my password!
    I only logged in about 3 weeks ago and it was grand.

I WANT MY RESULTS.

But anyway, hope everyone else is happy with theirs. :)

Call the Helpdesk on 01-4042010 - just make sure you have your student card to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Pretty much - you might have the GPA but you won't have the credits....

I see. Well thats a kick in the teeth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

Passed everything!!
    And an A in accounting!
    Woohoo, bring on third year...

GPA is 3.06. Is that good or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Call the Helpdesk on 01-4042010 - just make sure you have your student card to hand.

Was passing by the college so I went in and got it fixed.

Got my ordinary degree! :) Only one more year left now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone go to Purty Kitchen last night? My mate said it was a quality night. I didn't go because I was meant to have work training at 11am this morning but that ended up being cancelled and I could have went in the end.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Cheers, Randy.

I was told before that if we "engineering" fail a subject in our final year of honours degree course that you then do not get an honours degree but just a level 8 degree, so i dont know if this applies to all honours degree courses

davey101 wrote: »
    I was told before that if we "engineering" fail a subject in our final year of honours degree course that you then do not get an honours degree but just a level 8 degree, so i dont know if this applies to all honours degree courses

Possibly correct.

If you are in a 4 or 5 year Honours stream it's more than likely you have completed the 3 year "ordinary" degree and as such even though you have not got enough for the honours, you could be conferred with the ordinary degree.

Will depend on the course programme layout etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Guys, I passed all my exams, but I felt I should have done better in a couple of my exams. I've spoken to the lecturers in question but they said I can appeal but dont think the marks will go up.

Is it possible to repeat exams you've passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Possibly correct.

If you are in a 4 or 5 year Honours stream it's more than likely you have completed the 3 year "ordinary" degree and as such even though you have not got enough for the honours, you could be conferred with the ordinary degree.

Will depend on the course programme layout etc.

The way it works is you still get an honours degree but without distinction. also known as a third class honours degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Guys, I passed all my exams, but I felt I should have done better in a couple of my exams. I've spoken to the lecturers in question but they said I can appeal but dont think the marks will go up.

Is it possible to repeat exams you've passed?

nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

Nope - you can compensate with another subject with a higher grade. A D is not a fail but a compensatory pass.

Actually, a D is a compensatable fail. That means it's not enough to fail you on its own, but it does need to be compensated by better grades. Too many Ds and you fail the semester.

Clinker wrote: »
    Actually, a D is a compensatable fail. That means it's not enough to fail you on its own, but it does need to be compensated by better grades. Too many Ds and you fail the semester.

I was trying to keep it positive :) In general terms it's a grade you need to compensate for with another (higher) grade.

When and how do we have to apply to repeat?

Also can I repeat a D?

Osu wrote: »
    When and how do we have to apply to repeat?

Also can I repeat a D?

Yes you can...

See the below for more details on GPA's / Credits

http://www.ittdublin.ie/StudentLife/ExamTimetables/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/FAQAnswer,19002,en.html

http://www.ittdublin.ie/StudentLife/ExamTimetables/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/FAQAnswer,19003,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Are the college going to send a letter to my house about the repeats? Because I havent heard a thing from them yet. Or do you have to print forms off the website?

kildare9 wrote: »
    Are the college going to send a letter to my house about the repeats? Because I havent heard a thing from them yet. Or do you have to print forms off the website?

Nope - they won't. You have completed your exams and your term. Unfortunately you have not qualified by GPA and Credits to progress so you will not be offered a place in the next year of the course.

If you want to progress you have to apply to repeat (Link Here for Details of how) to bring your marks up to a level that will qualify you to be offered a place.

It's up to you to apply to repeat rather than the other way around.

Yup - That's true of when you have applied to repeat. You have to apply first etc.

Sorry to harp on about this - but I'd hate to see someone miss out on a repeat just becuase they thought the info would be sent out automatically.

sugarman wrote: »
    Unless it's changed after my 4 years of being in the college you do not have to apply. Every year your sent out a Transcript of your results regaurdless if you have any repeats, if you do, they send the appropiate forms attacthed. I've repeated twice and this has been the case.

Fair enough so - someone is doing a little extra work for the students - Good job by them!

• Advertisement

When is the final day to have repeat forms in by? I've yet to get a letter in the post.

Advertisement