Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant/Moan/Bitch Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Surely the main problem within the college is The S.U!

I gotta agree with the SU thing. I, personally, don't think they really have a clue. The students tend to elect the same people each year, and the same problems then exist.

It would be nice if we had an SU who actually cared about the students, rather than taking the job so they can have an extra year as college students. Does anyone know if they have managed to do anything beneficial this year? You would at least think that they would be looking at informing the students about the proposed re-introduction of fee's and such.

The last student orientated action I can remember the SU taking was the boycott of the canteen two years ago, because the prices were too high. I'm pretty sure the prices have risen even higher again, and yet, not a word from the SU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I gotta agree with the SU thing. I, personally, don't think they really have a clue. The students tend to elect the same people each year, and the same problems then exist.

I think this year's SU got elected because the only competition they had was that suspicious "RON" character! ;)

Does anyone know if they have managed to do anything beneficial this year?

The only thing I've actually seen them do is buying loads of new DVDs for the SU cabin. I happened to be in HMV when they were buying them and got to chose one myself!

Other than that, they haven't done anything! They seem more concerned with pulling girls than improving the college for the students!

I think this year's SU got elected because the only competition they had was that suspicious "RON" character! ;)

I have to admit that I do tend to vote RON if there is nobody worth voting for, but I always make sure to vote! I really wish somebody decent would run, I think the college needs somebody who genuinely cares about the students and isn't afraid of a bit of hard work.

Even the SU building is intimidating if you aren't a particular kind of person, and I'm definitely not that kind of person. It should be a building that all students feel comfortable in, and students that go and speak to union officers should not feel like they are wasting the officers time, or that they are going to be laughed at later.

I also really think that the SU have better things to be spending their money on than DVD's. However, I hope you picked out a good one!!! :D

I voted RON for all of them, but they got in because most other people weren't bothered to open the elections again and try to find new candidates!

Out of interest, I'd love to know what percentage of the student body voted in the election - I'm guessing under twenty percent.
    People just took the free sweets then didn't bother voting! :p
    Even the SU building is intimidating if you aren't a particular kind of person

DEFINITELY. I haven't been in their in months, because it's just ... awkward in there. They hassle you! (well, unless you're a guy!)

I picked Skins series 1 - They do have better things to be spending money on, but it was a start! Considering they seem to blow most of their budget on drink, I'm happy they used some of it for the students' benefit!

Ok, I gotta approve the Skins. I would probably guess the same regards the amount that vote. A number of people in my class won't vote because they "don't see the point". That kind of attitude drives me insane. Everyone's vote counts.

I'm of the opinion that if the college had a better SU, more people would actually care about it, the social life would be better (partially because a huge group of people wouldn't feel awkward) and people would have better things to say about the college.

I often feel that the mentality that a lot of people in the college have is the same one they left secondary school with, and you can see that in general. I find that people are still afraid to sign up for clubs and societies and such. With an approachable SU, these things could be combated.

(Stepping down off of my soap box now)

• Advertisement

I think there should be rules for The SU ; a better gender balance for a start! That way, girls might find it easier to talk to the union and not feel like they're objects waiting to be snapped up!

I find that people are still afraid to sign up for clubs and societies and such. With an approachable SU, these things could be combated.

That's true. I think the people running The SU at present have caused more problems than they've been solving.

I think it stems from the fact they wanted the job to boost their own profiles and live the high life for a year, while getting paid for it, not to help students!

Seriously, there's been so many horror stories floating around the college about them!

I agree wholeheartedly about the gender imbalance. In the four years that I have been in the college, there has yet to be a female officer. It's a joke. I know that girls have run for positions. One girl ran last year and a girl ran the previous year.

It does feel like there is a male superiority thing going on. Walking into the SU causes you to feel like piece of meat that is there for either approval or removal.

If there is no female officer, then I do believe that there should be a female position created. Girls with problems are obviously going to feel more comfortable speaking to a female officer.

I really wish there was something that could be done to stop the elections being a popularity contest, and make it more about the welfare of the student body.

I really wish there was something that could be done to stop the elections being a popularity contest, and make it more about the welfare of the student body.

That would be good! But how is that going to happen?
    People in our college have a habit of liking the loud, obnoxious characters! ;)

I actually spoke to one of The SU about their performance this year. I just said a lot of people weren't impressed etc and he actually made a good point back - A lot of people are willing to bitch about the union, but none of those people have actually made an effort to address them to fix any of the issues they're unhappy with.

Got me thinking, perhaps a good aul' petition is needed!

The petition isn't a bad idea at all. I would love to address the Union about my issues with them, however, for two years running I had pretty constant contact with the union and it completely ruined my faith in them.

A petition is an excellent idea, but I'm unsure how effective it would be this year, what with there only being a few weeks left in college. it's definitely worth a try though.

Only question is, what do we actually petition for?

Yeah, I was thinking that!
    With such little time left in college, it might not make much sense!
    But still... :P

Hmm
    My main problems with The SU are the following ;

1. Bad posters and general bad advertising for college socials.
    2. Not enough entertainment for students.
    3. Not enough being done to help students in general!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i'm a mature student in the college, I was tempted to run last year for election based on my experience as a union shop steward and successful businessman in the past but i felt noone would vote for a uncool old guy like me. I must admit I noticed the lack of gender balance as well, we really need to get more female candidates to run. As far as i can see it the SU is a glorified drinking club - i'd love to take a look at their account books. The SU should be run like a business with strict control of expenses, the shareholders are the students and we are collectively customers of the college and expect satisfactory service. I recently had a problem with the way the college was run, I went into the registers office, made an appointment for an hour later, went in put my case that as a customer of the college who payed the college 4k in fees last year I was gettign bad service. Issue was resolved in superfast time, register said was the first person who had gone in their with that atitude.

We had a mature student as SU president when I was in first year, and I personally didn't get on with him.

I'm always unsure if a business framework is the correct one to implement for the SU. It is a place where students may need to go for financial help, and I'm not sure how that would integrate with a business mindset. I do thing that smarter spending is very necessary. It needs to be spent on the student body, and not just a select number of student's needs.

However, if you feel that you would work in the SU, purely for the needs of the entire student body, then I would definitely vote for you. I think that if you planned to address issues which the students really cared about, and if you had realistic and achievable objectives, with a plan outlining how you would go about it, then you should definitely run.

I personally think that the issues highlighted by pikachucheeks, stem mainly from a bad attitude that people seem to have regarding the SU positions.

As far as i can see it the SU is a glorified drinking club

Totally agree with that!

A lot of people I know think that the lack of posters for socials and events this year is because The SU are keeping their spending down so they have more money for booze ;)

I wouldn't say NO ONE would vote for you - I think anyone with enough maturity would, if you were genuinely going to improve the life of the student body.

Aside from the fact people seem to be pretty apathetic about the SU elections, as a whole, my thinking is the jack-the-lad type of fellas get elected because they represent the type of "customer" that makes up a large percentage of the college.

IE. Last year, when The SU organised strippers during RAG week, hundreds of guys in the college thought it was the best thing ever, while a lot of girls, press and eh... decent people were disgusted!

We should organise something here and now. I wont be putting myself forward cause i just have too much on but if we could gather a group of people with the same belief that and motivation ro change the SU then we can do something about it.

That's very true, but in organising something, it means we do need to have somebody who is willing to run for a position next year.

Starting an online revolt against The SU?

That's such a Net Soc thing to do! :pac:

Oh, and on an unrelated note to 'the cabin pigs';
    I hate that Quizno's runs out of both bread AND chicken by 2pm on a Friday!
    WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Princess_Bleuh

Starting an online revolt against The SU?

That's such a Net Soc thing to do! :pac:

True true, but no-one can dispute their effectiveness!

Taking a break from the general bitching bout the SU, one of my very favourite things to complain about is the number system on rooms. It seems to be very sporadic, with no real rhyme nor reason to it.

Quite possibly due to the changing of rooms, such as the invention of the "quiet room", (which, reminds me, has anyone ever seen it?) or the change of the finance room to the Creative Digital Media room, I've had many a row with people who insist it can't be room 132, as there appears to be another 132 somewhere in the college.

Edit; Re Quizno's,
    The SECOND week of the semester, they had a different excuse not to serve me, every single day! Also, I resent how they weigh everything, on their little scales, you can bet your ass its not to ensure WE get value for money!

the change of the finance room to the Creative Digital Media room,

UGH.
    AV for life, Bleuh!

Edit; Re Quizno's,
    The SECOND week of the semester, they had a different excuse not to serve me, every single day! Also, I resent how they weigh everything, on their little scales, you can bet your ass its not to ensure WE get value for money!

i'll second that, I dont bother eating canteen food anymore, its overpriced and to be honest i've eaten healthier. First i think we need to do up a list of general issues - not so much bitch/moan but real issues.
    here's my list - feel free to ad to it

1. traffic

a) the traffic lights not been programmed to give more time to college cars at peak times. The college needs to talk to the council
    b) open up a second entrence into the college - roundabout is already there
    c) the caretakers going mad with stickers on cars that park illegally but do nothing about the knobs who delibertly take over 2 car park spaces with one car to prevent anyone scratching there audi/beemer.
    d) I believe some eng students have to travel to an industrial estate for classes, make there own way and sit in freezing classes once there - immediate boycot until this is resolved - even a few prefabs ont he gounds might fix this

2.facilites
    a) no sports center on the college ground
    b) no student accomodation on college ground
    The college hads no atmosphere cause the place feels lmore like a secondary school, If we make a "village" of the college it'll the place - good example of this is Athlone IT - kip of a town - great artmosphere for a regional college
    c) quality and cost of food in canteen - thought we had a catering school onsite
    d) students union needs to be attached to the college not across the road to make it handier to drop into.

please ad to this list - we can make a manifesto for change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Quiznos is actually quite reasonable. 3 quid for a decently sized roll is very good.

• Advertisement

Indeed,
    But there's a problem when you're willing to pay them three euro and they have no bread to make you a sandwich!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

2.facilites
    a) no sports center on the college ground

Really!? How do they plan on running the new Sports Science and Health Degree without sports facilities? (glad I read this as I know someone thinking of applying..)

Teferi wrote: »
    Quiznos is actually quite reasonable. 3 quid for a decently sized roll is very good.

fair point , which the bread was more "bagette" than those soft "blas" rolls though - no offence to waterford Blas rolls - the best but only in waterford and nothing like the quiznos bread,

McSandwich wrote: »
    Really!? How do they plan on running the new Sports Science and Health Degree without sports facilities? (glad I read this as I know someone thinking of applying..)

they'll probably send them acrss the road to the COI parish hall for that one! Thats my point i suppose, the college needs a center. I'm familiar with Athlone IT but they should learn from it, they had similar problems, now the catering college, the SU and bar, the art school and student acomodation are all located with the rest of the college at the same site. It reallly gives a vibe to the place that unfortunately you dont see in talalght yet and which i'd love to see in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Taking a break from the general bitching bout the SU, one of my very favourite things to complain about is the number system on rooms. It seems to be very sporadic, with no real rhyme nor reason to it.

Don't they follow that very american convention of using the first digit to signify the floor and then use all even's on one side of the building and odds on the other.

Was also like this where i used to work, can be very handy once u get used to it, and still confusing at other times.

It took me about six months to get used to the college's numbering system, but it's not too bad now. Although, if I have to go to the first or second floor I tend to get confused as to the placement of the rooms, I get that the even's will be one side and the odd's the other, but I still get confused.

I never have any idea which room is which!
    I just make sure I'm with someone who does and it's all gravy ;)

There are a number of fire plans that are framed and hung around the college. If you take a look at those they have the floor plan with room numbers. I found them really helpful when I was in first year!

... I was told it was going to be a lapdancing club, for people who failed their courses?
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

... I was told it was going to be a lapdancing club, for people who failed their courses?
    :pac::pac::pac:

I'm very very confused!!

Advertisement