Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant/Moan/Bitch Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Bryn wrote: »
    I've never once heard of this......:confused:

You mustn't be in the school of business? I know 3 people from my class that have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I think it's a school of business thing. I know there are a number of people in my class this year who did not pass the exams or repeats, and there was a guy who got through from second year to third year without even sitting the repeat.

My course is terrible for it and it annoys me so very much because there are people who work their behinds off to do well while others are being presented with qualifications without even passing the exams. Ugh....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Bryn wrote: »
    I've never once heard of this......:confused:

TBH man I think I only got into 3rd year because I was doing that work experience thing at the time of my repeats and it would have been too awkward to pull me out of that. I came out of the repeat knowing I failed (there is definitely no way I passed the repeat) but somehow I ended up with a pass grade. I asked no questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

isnt there some system in place where by if you do well in one subject say get an A and then get an f in another the grade can be transfered to a B and a D therefor giving you a pass!
    Or did i just come up with that in my own little world? cause i tend to do things like that!
    please someone say i didnt make this up ptherwise i may be screwed.......(puts head back into maths notes and whimpers)

Sideshowdave, I'm pretty sure that only works with a D. But then again, as has been highlighted, I'm sure if you talk to your head of department then something can be organised. The people I was talking about most definitely didn't have a particularly good score to offset a bad mark against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

No an F is a fail, and a fail is a fail. Or meant to be anyway.

A compensate fail is a D. Where if you can compensate the D with a B or better you can pass.

The people i know who failed subjects had lousy results in the other subjects and they still graduated.
    Defeats the purpose really

I did feel extraordinarily crap at graduation this year, accepting my cert, when I knew that there were other people in the class, accepting a cert without even passing the exams. You kinda wonder what's the point in working your ass off!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DubSpur81

Well I'd like to vent toward a particular lecturer, I'll leave the subject and name blank but I'm a part time student and in my second year (4th semester)

This particular "lecturer" deems it fine to speak to her students like they are 12 years of age and threaten to report us to the year head for not doing a lab that carries no mark whatsoever if its not uploaded by a certain date. Yes the labs are there to reinforce our own learning but its a given that they can be done in your own time, they are not supposed to be rammed down your throat.

Other little pearlers are threatening to throw someone out for smiling after ten mins of the first lecture (this person in particular being probably the quietest one in the class) telling certain students they "haven't got a clue" in the middle of the class and essentially telling people they couldn't leave the class when they were going at 9.30 (the class runs till 10 normally)

Now I don't know how full timers do it but the whole point of doing this part time is that there is a flexible approach to learning (it says so in the prospectus as far as I can recall) and that its basically up to you whether you want to leave or stay for the full four hours. This is something said lecturer seems to not grasp at all.

The funny thing is, that some of us refused to do the upload the lecturer requested (or demanded) out of principle and went to the class rep with a complaint about the lecturer about their attitude towards us.

The rep in turn went to the year head with this feedback (he wasn't happy himself). Well it turned out that the lecturer had already gone to the year head to complain about US for not doing the lab upload! The lecturer then got a hold of the class rep in the next lecture at break and tore into him for 15mins saying we should have went to her about it first! But as you can tell from above, she's not exactly the most approachable person in the world! Thats the last I've heard of it before the easter break.

And all of us as a class in the two years we've been there have never had a problem with any other lecturer at all bar this one.We're paying for the course and paying the weapons wages for chrissakes and we're adults! We have family and work commitments along with college and its in that order, not the other way around.

Its pissing me off that it seems that nothing will be done about her ****ing attitude towards us. I'm fearing if she has a go at me directly because I won't hold my tongue as to be honest, I don't take well to being bullied.

If I don't have to take that **** off my boss who pays my wages then I won't take it off some bint who's wages I pay and who I keep in a job.

Rant over, sorry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

I think I know who you're talking about and as a full timer we had similar problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I would be making an appointment with the Registrar about that one. That is not on and needs sorting out. If the Dept/School is not going to do it go to the registrar.

• Advertisement

macrubicon wrote: »
    I would be making an appointment with the Registrar about that one. That is not on and needs sorting out. If the Dept/School is not going to do it go to the registrar.

I have to second this, I would suggest the SU also, but I'm unsure how much use that would be. I'm not sure how easy it is to get a meeting with the Registrar, but there is somebody else in the office who generally deals with Student issues, the Academic Administration and Student Affairs Manager, he can be reached on 01 404 2114

linky:
    http://www.it-tallaght.ie/AcademicSchools/StudentAdministrationOffice/AcademicAdminStudentAffairsManager/

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Well if its the lecturer I think it is, and then obviously the department they teach in, going to the department head is useless. Also going to the SU is useless as we've tried to bring in the SU on other lecturers and nothing has been done, its a mickey mouse department pretty much. 4 months ago we asked for an extra class and its been swept under the rug, we've also asked nearly every week since, at least every 2 weeks its been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

do what i did, i dmanded to speak to the register when i had a very issue to discuss, got guff back so i just walked into his office and did it

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

The smell from the jax on the engineering floor and that the toilets are always blocked.

Fools passing exams when they dont get sufficient grades to go onto following year.

In some way related to the college,junkies smoking hash or drinking at half 8 in the morning, yes this was a daily occurence on my journeys on the 77.

Parking in the college getting progressively worse each year.( Do they still use them DO NOT PARK stickers on your car)

Business wasters doing a course with 12 hours a week.

What happened to fables?

Whats the purpose of the one way system in tallaght village?

Been part of the Student union is by way of a popularity contest, Again Tallaght wudnt be exclusive that matter.

Business wasters doing a course with 12 hours a week.

I may be a business student, but I am most certainly not a waster, and my course has more than twelve hours a week!!! Business students generally work just as hard as any other student in the college.

This highlights one of the things that annoys me in the college. There is a certain amount of prejudice against business students that I feel is unwarranted.

I do, however, agree with the blocked toilet thing! The ground floor made my stomach turn for the entire week before Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

The whole Humanities department is annoying right now!

One of my lecturers was really sick, so in our Audio module, we only completed 1/4 CAs.
    Thus, we didn't get a grade for that subject in our January results.
    This has been brought to the attention of the Humanities department and board for months, and nothing's been done to reschedule the CAs or find any solution to the problem.
    Most likely meaning I'll finish second year with a NG in that subject, jeopardising third year!

Oh, the joys of ITT!

Business students generally work just as hard as any other student in the college.

I honestly dont believe this. I can only talk from an engineering perspective and theres many a night I wouldnt get out of college till half 9/10. The engineering hours are much longer than business courses aswell. I had a mate that did accountancy and he'd have four hour lunches. Whats up with that? Oh and our maths lecturer was laughing with the comparison in standards between business and engineering. I supposed everyone are going to be bias towards their own course, can only speak from my own experience.

Maths is a subject that is more important to engineering than it is to business. But I'm sure that there would be a difference in the standards of management or law, when compared.

I may not have as many scheduled hours but it doesn't mean I don't work as hard as you do. I have friends who have completed the engineering course and they wouldn't for a second claim that they worked harder than me, because they know it's not true.

I'm not for a second stating that I work harder than you, but I am stating that I more than likely work just as hard as you. Contact hours for me may be lower, but I have a huge amount of project work to be done outside of class. Most of our courses we often have to cover ourselves, with lecturers pointing us in the right direction.

I don't think it's fair to make the generalisation that you are making. You don't know me, or any of my friends, so I don't believe you are in a position to judge how hard we work.

I will agree that there are day's where we have a three or four hour break. It's pretty much always spent in the library or elsewhere getting CA's out of the way, or studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Maths is a subject that is more important to engineering than it is to business. But I'm sure that there would be a difference in the standards of management or law, when compared.

I may not have as many scheduled hours but it doesn't mean I don't work as hard as you do. I have friends who have completed the engineering course and they wouldn't for a second claim that they worked harder than me, because they know it's not true.

I'm not for a second stating that I work harder than you, but I am stating that I more than likely work just as hard as you. Contact hours for me may be lower, but I have a huge amount of project work to be done outside of class. Most of our courses we often have to cover ourselves, with lecturers pointing us in the right direction.

I don't think it's fair to make the generalisation that you are making. You don't know me, or any of my friends, so I don't believe you are in a position to judge how hard we work.

I will agree that there are day's where we have a three or four hour break. It's pretty much always spent in the library or elsewhere getting CA's out of the way, or studying.

Personally I believe the more technical the course the harder it is.. I think you may be confusing difficultly for quantity... granted business may have the same quantity of work involved.. but the difficulty is not even in the same ball park.

I did Information systems (computing) at Tallaght & out of all the faculties besides mine, the one I had the most respect for was engineering, as they had the same type of graft as computing... long hours (finishing when the security guy kicks you out), having to constantly learn and become an expert in many different technologies in a very short space of time.. and then having to demonstrate your abilities with these technologies (not just have studied them)..
    I remember having to learn entire programing languages to expert level a few weeks.. I had friends on the business course, they're work was a walk in the park in comparison.. Its very easy to learn out of books and talk about theory.

I used to love the business subjects included on my course.. always an easy A.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DubSpur81

Well if its the lecturer I think it is, and then obviously the department they teach in, going to the department head is useless. Also going to the SU is useless as we've tried to bring in the SU on other lecturers and nothing has been done, its a mickey mouse department pretty much. 4 months ago we asked for an extra class and its been swept under the rug, we've also asked nearly every week since, at least every 2 weeks its been asked.

I'm at the point now that I've two lectures left with this one and from whats happened so far with making the complaint that I'm wondering if its worth the hassle as I don't think anything will be done about it.

Its pretty shocking, it seems from our perspective that all the college are interested in is getting students registration fee's paid and damn the actual service they provide, as another one of our lecturers told us they hadn't even been trained in moodle so we've no online access to our notes! Its an IT for Chrissakes! How hard can Moodle be to use?!!

• Advertisement

I can understand that Engineering or science etc. may be seen as more difficult courses, but I was arguing the point that though the course may be that bit 'easier', it doesn't mean that business students don't work as hard as engineering students.

Oddly enough you made the point that you saw the business modules of the course as an easy A. I tend to see all the maths and computing parts of my course as an easy A. :)

Just to be a bit more on topic. The college administration staff are driving me mad at the moment. Do they really feel the need to be so bloody rude?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

the students union is a waste of time i actually donty recall one thing they ever did for me other than repeatadly get female strippers to the college(no complaints there).

same dickheads get into the union every year and use the union for playin pool all day. and they dont even know how to organise a piss up!

i would agree though i did mech eng for five years ( i hated most it but most of the lecturers were cool) but the maths was **** hard.

Why is the engineering honours courses 5 years?
    Ironically I think it may have some to do with a lower standard in maths at second level.
    Oh (maybe its changed) why cant you get into the college where the new shop is?

From my time in Tallaght, there was no great atmosphere around the place. Maybe thats down to what you make of college but it just got very repetitive each year. Strippers, the odd social and the mystrey tour bus down the carlow or some ****hole strings to mind.

I also feel my degree is undervalued due to things like repeat labs, giving out "hints" before the exam and then letting people pass without then getting near the pass mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

the engineering degrees are Honours degrees and the business degree is just an ordinary degree, higher standard applies hence its a harder course- sorry business!

Last I checked, the cert that I got back in November states ordinary Degree. I'm pretty sure the cert I'm going to get this November is going to state Honours Degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

2 years is a Higher Cert, 3 years is an Ordinary Degree and 4 years is a Honours Degree

Or at least that's how it usually is!

Why is the engineering honours courses 5 years?
    Ironically I think it may have some to do with a lower standard in maths at second level.

its five years because there is no four year straight honours degree in IT tallaght (yet anyway) dont know where you came up with that statment about lower standard at maths. there are five year engineering courses in most IT's and the one in tallaght is relatively new, also anyone with an engineering honours degree in Tallaght qualifies as a chartered engineer which implies a higher standard of education.
    Tssssskkk lower standard at maths

and just to butt in on the previous chat about engineering being harder than other courses. as far as i can see no matter what course you are doing there are going to be aspects that are diffucult and not so diffucult some will find it easy and some wont. but at the end of the day its you who has to put the work in, speaking as an engineering student i think if i was to do the catering course i would struggle in different ways with the workload. but hey if thats what i signed up for then you got to do it.
    Ohh but how i would love a four hour break between class.

its five years because there is no four year straight honours degree in IT tallaght (yet anyway) dont know where you came up with that statment about lower standard at maths. there are five year engineering courses in most IT's and the one in tallaght is relatively new, also anyone with an engineering honours degree in Tallaght qualifies as a chartered engineer which implies a higher standard of education.
    Tssssskkk lower standard at maths

Why do i need a honours B in maths to study engineering lets say in Tcd and All i need is a pass in ordinary level for it in Tallaght.

The question I was asking is why is the engineering honours degree 5 years, when i can get a engineering honours degree for four years in Dit,Cit etc. The other honours degree courses in tallaght are only four years?

Why do i need a honours B in maths to study engineering lets say in Tcd and All i need is a pass in ordinary level for it in Tallaght.
    The question I was asking is why is the engineering honours degree 5 years, when i can get a engineering honours degree for four years in Dit,Cit etc. The other honours degree courses in tallaght are only four years?

Well as with the majority of courses in any university there is a high standard in the level of entry, that being the requirement for honours maths. honours maths is nessecary for engineering anywhere, any IT or Uni. the difference i presume they demand it is because in trinity (from what i understand) all the maths is covered in the first two years. in the five year degree courses the maths is spread over the five years, becoming increasly diffucult, being one reason why a B average is required to proceed to 4th year from ordinary degree level.
    and the reason why its five years instead of four! i dont know but i presume it is to get more people qualified as engineers eg; 2 years = Hcert + 1 year = ord degree + two honours degree, a person can go as far as there able and still have a qualification without leaving school with honours maths. which goes along with trying to enhance our national level of education and the goverments bid to make ireland a knowledege based country seeing as manufacturing has gone south but tallaght is not the only IT that run five year courses DIT, Dcu for example do too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

We need another entrance/exit into the college. Traffic is ridiculous at 5 o'clock. Left early today for the first time in at least a year and it took me half an hour to get from the Synergy building to the front gates. Ridiculous.

Advertisement