Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first date - go dutch?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Should I be offended when guys hold open a door for me?

Nope. But I don't think you should be offended if he doesn't.
    btw girls hold the door open for guys and other girls. Basically a person behind them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ibanez777vbk

ebmma wrote: »
    my 2 cents:

If someone offers to take me out for a movie or something, then I'd think guy intends to pay. However I won't be heartbroken if he doesn't and we go halves.

If he says "do you wanna go see a movie after work?" I won't think he intends to pay, as it is just something to do together. Again, either way I'm happy.

I don't mind paying for a guy if I know he's in a much worse situation financially. If I'd really like his company, it's no big deal. Of course it doesn't cover fancy dinners (as far as I'm concerned somebady with no money has no business going to gancy places).

Now that I think of it guys almost always offered to pay for me, I assume because I never made a big deal out of it. And it never really meant anything profound.
    wish there was more women like you about.very not materialistic,i wouldnt dare ask a girl to go halfs on first date.if yous end up dating on a regular basis well ok go halfs but deffo not on first date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

wish there was more women like you about.very not materialistic

thanks for a compliment :D

Just to clarify, I do enjoy "materialistic" things when they happen, I just don't let it be the main thing.
    Also, liking simple things helps.

to everyone their own, I suppose.:o

I think the main thing is do you or do you not enjoy mind games like that. I don't, and constantly thinking what people mean when they say one thing, intend 2nd thing and do 3rd thing confuses the sh*t out of me.
    I'd rather talk directly about things, but maybe I'm just not feminine enough or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

personally me and the gf go splitsies on most things( both students) but now and again I'll happily pay for a meal out which she really appreciates.
    Ive no problem buying her things/paying for her but we've always been like this. she insists on paying half

However if a girl expected me to pay for almost everything we wouldnt last long.its not that im cheap just thats the way id be..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You go on that first date, and dinner at a restaurant is a part of it. Do you order something expensive for food and drink if he is picking up the tab?

Lads can comment too (What do you think of a girl that does?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

You go on that first date, and dinner at a restaurant is a part of it. Do you order something expensive for food and drink if he is picking up the tab?

Wouldn't impress me... What does it prove? That the girls used to eat Tesco tuna in brine and Brenan's bread for the whole life... must be really hungry though...

As a side note, I include expenses only when it comes to certain type of women. I believe you don't need a clue what type of women I mean? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

If i'm on a first date, we go dutch because it may be our first and last date ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

If the guy chooses the restaurant, the girl should be able to order whatever she wants. By taking her to a restaurant that is within my range, it's no big deal if she orders the most expensive thing off the menu. Taking her to a place that I would consider far too expensive means I'm setting myself up for a far too expensive bill...not to mention giving her the impression that this is the standard she can get used to :pac:

I'd be a bit old fashioned when it comes to footing the bill for a first date. Just seems to break the mood when the calculator has to come out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How do you know he's going to pay for it all before the bill comes? Or maybe you're the sort of person who insists on paying your share on a first date, so what do you order in that case?

Anyway, we've already had a long thread about who pays what on first dates, so I'm going to merge the two threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cathkins

Personally would not see the point of intentionally picking something expensive on a menu to see if a guy would pay for it or not - would whether he did or not validate something for you?!:confused: Personally whether the guy was polite and you clicked would be more important than whether he could afford something...but maybe that's just me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

Just my 2c

Guys should pay for the first date.

I think I'd be offended if the girl insisted on paying half on the first date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

on a first date, id expect to split the bill.
    that said, i certainly wouldnt argue if the guy offered to pay for mine. its chivalrous, and lovely to see amd id be far from offended

now, my and my bf usually go halfs on most things but occasionally he will pay for meals etc, and its appreciated all the more. reminds me of when we first started dating and he was trying to impress!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Meh.... these days i have different views on who pays for what-it's the recession!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd think it a bit impolite to do that tbh, it's a first date, so getting to know the person and seeing if you click with them is far more important.

As well, how would you know the guy will pick up the tab?
    Imagine discovering you've to split the bill and you've a €50 bill and €20 in your pocket! :D
    Cathkins wrote: »
    Personally would not see the point of intentionally picking something expensive on a menu to see if a guy would pay for it or not - would whether he did or not validate something for you?!:confused: Personally whether the guy was polite and you clicked would be more important than whether he could afford something...but maybe that's just me!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Matt3

Firstly, i'd probably go for dinner with a girl, at least after three or four dates..not the first date, just a personal opinion.

Well, if i was picking up the tab at dinner, and the girl ordered something expensive food & drink wise, it wouldn't bother me. The reason i'm out on the date in the first place is because i like the girl, the price of what she wants to eat & drink doesn't come into it as far as i'm concerned, a lot of my male friends who would go out with a girl would be of the same opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DutchStudent

Matt3 wrote: »
    Firstly, i'd probably go for dinner with a girl, at least after three or four dates..not the first date, just a personal opinion.

Well, if i was picking up the tab at dinner, and the girl ordered something expensive food & drink wise, it wouldn't bother me. The reason i'm out on the date in the first place is because i like the girl, the price of what she wants to eat & drink doesn't come into it as far as i'm concerned, a lot of my male friends who would go out with a girl would be of the same opinion.

you're right, if you take a girl out i think the guy would pay for her :p thats my opinion but the girl doesn't have to suspect that and don't take any money with her. guys are not predictable

Advertisement