Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first date - go dutch?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hm, a few valid posts. I don't want to agree or disagree with any, it is a very personal opinion.
    However, if I got asked out on a first date by a fella, I would expect him to pay. Yes, expect. Even if he's in a worse paid job (shock horror).
    It's just that I would not be impressed if I was expected to half everything. I would offer, obviously, but if that offer wasn't turned down, there wouldn't be a date after that.
    I am not a gold digger, I earn good money and I can afford to go out on my own. And if I ask the guy out in question I would offer to pay the lot.
    For some reason I agree with the OP. I turn up, look great for the date, he should take my jacket off, help me order wine off the menu, recommend a dish...
    I think I'm just really, really old fashioned that way. If a guy is not chevalier (spelling?) on the first date, chances are very slim he will buy me flowers, give me little pressies, shower me with attention etc. And trust me I LOVE to do those things to a fella as well, it's just something that can't be taught that late in life...
    Just from my experience ladies and gents!

That whole post just utterly shocks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

tbh i would of paid if i had asked you out but it wouldnt last to long if after the 2rd date you were expecting everything handed to you.

why is it girls never bring home flowers to the guy.... weird thread this but i do understand where the op is comming from.

i think hes probably cheap, and thanks for getting your hair done and making the effort im sure he saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

All depends. I would usually have paid (or tried to pay) on previous first dates, especially if I had asked them out. But I would expect somebody with a job to go dutch most of the time. That said, it's also nice to pay for your partner, or have them buy you dinner too. It should be a spontaneous, rather than gender-dictated thing though.

One thing guaranteed to annoy me would be that I was expected to pay, especially by somebody who works. It's corny, and raises all kinds of stupid issues, like what is expected in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Beruthiel: I don't know in what way?
    See, it's only my point of view and my experiences. I wouldn't say there's anything shocking in there?
    Maybe it's just a difference in cultures?
    I have to say I've been on many, many, many (ad infinitum) dates, and it's my, you can call it statistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

taconnol wrote: »
    What does the fact that he's male have to do with it? We can't have our cake and eat it m'dear - go around demanding equality but oh, would you mind picking up the bill, ta.
    It was a first date for him too...
    Would you have paid for it in full if you had been the one to ask him - or do you expect the man to do the asking out?

Maybe he likes to be treated once in a while as well.

the line :'go around demanding equality' - what does that have to do with anything? i dont go around demanding equality. and i have no problem treatin a guy once in a while - if i thought that he feels the same way.
    if you cant be treated on a first date by the person who asked you out then when can you???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

hi guys
    wandering about peoples opinions on this
    on a first date - no matter where you go : cinema, out for a meal, drinks
    do guys prefer to pay? do girls prefer guys to pay? or would you prefer goin dutch?

just that i was out on a date last nite and well the guy didnt offer to pay - considering he's in a well paid job like and i always offer to go dutch anyway but kinda expect the guy to say 'no here i'll get this' you know, and when he didnt it kinda made me think he's cheap....
    like i went out and got my hair done for the date - i consider that my half of the bargain ha ha (joke)
    I definitely wouldn't expect the guy to pay for the date, I would absolutely go dutch.......
    think your reasoning is off, just because he earns more money and you got your hair done he should have paid???

elexes wrote: »
    tbh i would of paid if i had asked you out but it wouldnt last to long if after the 2rd date you were expecting everything handed to you.

why is it girls never bring home flowers to the guy.... weird thread this but i do understand where the op is comming from.

Now this is a pet peeve of mine.
    I have ALWAYS been the one giving fellas little gifts, flowers, pressies, stuff like that. Almost all my female friends do it? AND they're Irish and foreign. I don't understand girls who would just expect to be given stuff and never give anything back. (bj's spring to mind, lol, don't know why..)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I turn up, look great for the date, he should take my jacket off, help me order wine off the menu, recommend a dish...

If a girl expected that from me there wouldn't be a second date, because I'd want her to be able to think for herself not have me doing it for her.

For example, I went on a first date to the cinema with a girl. She expected me to pick the film (when I asked her answer was "oh, I don't mind"), when asked if she wanted popcorn or a drink her answer was "I don't know, what are you getting?" and when asked about what she though of the movie it was "I don't know, what did you think?". I don't think the girl had a single idea all night.

On the payment thing, I'd offer (and have no problem paying) but if she didn't at least try to pay I'd be pissed off.

ye well thats it i dont mind paying once the guy offers to pay and then i would say no its fine i can pay for myself or if i go cinema with a guy and he buys tickets i always make sure i get the sweets and drinks

'
    I turn up, look great for the date, he should take my jacket off, help me order wine off the menu, recommend a dish...
    /QUOTE]

If a girl expected that from me there wouldn't be a second date, because I'd want her to be able to think for herself not have me doing it for her.'

what exactly is wrong with a girl wanting to be treated like that? she'd think the world of you if you did cos men like that are hard to come by and everyone wants one ha ha - maybe take notes???

I don't understand why this is so shocking to everybody. It's just what I expect and I don't know why no one reacted on my reasons for this? Maybe I wasn't being clear.
    If a fella asks me on a first date, I shouldn't have to explain to him: look I'm a really generous person and I don't want to be f*cked over any more by thight fellas.
    The treating me to a first dinner/date whatever would be a sort of a test.
    So far it's proven right. I don't know if it's valid every time tho. But I'm still single (Maybe that's why? lol)
    But seriously, this is the way I was raised, I am expecting a certain treatment from men I wouldn't accept less, in fairness if I'm not treated that way I'd rather go on a date with myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

i dont go around demanding equality.
    I don't know what to say...Mary Wollstonecraft is turning in her grave as I type..

You think guys use not offending women as a lame eccuse not to offer to pay on dates?? Jeez, I'm starting to feel sorry for the guys here - damned if you do, damned if you don't!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I don't know what to say...Mary Wollstonecraft is turning in her grave as I type..

I've been thinking that since the start of this thread.

You think guys use not offending women as a lame eccuse not to offer to pay on dates?? Jeez, I'm starting to feel sorry for the guys here - damned if you do, damned if you don't!

I dont know ONE girl who wouldnt go out with a guy on a second date BECAUSE HE PAID!!!

what exactly is wrong with a girl wanting to be treated like that? she'd think the world of you if you did cos men like that are hard to come by and everyone wants one ha ha - maybe take notes???

It's the expectation of it that would do me. If they asked questions about the stuff fine, i.e. Have you been here before, what's do you think is good? etc, that that would be fine because it can be a two way street. But an expectation of the guy to come in and and straight off start with this wine is good, you should get that etc would annoy me.

Also you do realise that most guys take the time to try and make sure they also look good for a first date.

And BTW I have a GF so no need for the notes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I'm starting to see why some irish men give irish women a bad rep.

Seriously this notion of men paying for everythign comes from a different era where women differnt earn nearly the same as men and were expected to cook and clean after their men.

matrim wrote: »
    It's the expectation of it that would do me. If they asked questions about the stuff fine, i.e. Have you been here before, what's do you think is good? etc, that that would be fine because it can be a two way street. But an expectation of the guy to come in and and straight off start with this wine is good, you should get that etc would annoy me.

Also you do realise that most guys take the time to try and make sure they also look good for a first date.

And BTW I have a GF so no need for the notes :)

Look, mine was only a short way of explaining it. Of course I wouldn't sit there like a stone going: you decide, you decide.
    It's those little things, those attention giving moments that are important. Getting me weak at my knees would be in the line of:
    "Look the way you said you loved Italian food? I've booked such and such"
    At the table:
    "I love the thing thing here, i really recommend it"
    And total brownie points are if he stands up when I stand up, if he helps me put on my coat, if he gives me his coat if I happen to think I don't need one and it's cold going to the taxi whatever.

More scenarious? Or do you get me where I'm coming from? I'm an incurable romantic and this has nothing to do with feminism etc. It's just I want a guy to treat me a cretain way.....

Oh, and to be "equal" whatever. Same if I asked a guy to a resto, chose venue and so on, it would be me doing the recommendations, tryiong to pick up on hints he'd given me before or so...

jsb wrote: »
    I'm starting to see why some irish men give irish women a bad rep.

Seriously this notion of men paying for everythign comes from a different era where women differnt earn nearly the same as men and were expected to cook and clean after their men.

I really don't see this as a discussion of paying EVERYTHING all the time for the girl. I see this as a discussion of should a guy pay for the first date or not? And if he doesn't would that be considered cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

just as a matter of interest curlypinkie are you still single

jsb wrote: »
    just as a matter of interest curlypinkie are you still single

Haha, yes I did state that in an earlier post on this thread!
    Those fellas on white stallions are few and far between:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

And if he doesn't would that be considered cheap?

why?

What are we ment to do anymore?

Would you like him to expect that you clean up after him? Or wash his clothes?
    You can not pick and choose what old social gender traits that you want to keep. If you want to be considered equal that bloody well act like it.
    Women have fought long and hard for their right to be considered equal and, in this country, are almost there. It also means that you have to accept that men will no longer see women as people who need help, or can not look after themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I really don't see this as a discussion of paying EVERYTHING all the time for the girl. I see this as a discussion of should a guy pay for the first date or not? And if he doesn't would that be considered cheap?

Like I said, I'd offer to pay for the first date if I had asked them out. In my experience, the kind of women I'm usually attracted generally insisted on going dutch, which I do find attractive. After that, normal rules apply: pay sometimes; get paid for sometimes,, but go dutch mostly.

As for being analyzed about my potential 'cheapness', there wouldn't be a second date if this was the case.
    Those fellas on white stallions are few and far between:D

Thankfully.

Holy cow, I've really opened pandoras box with my "ideal first date" opinions.
    So it's all or nothing for you guys? Romanticism is dead, long live equality?
    No make up for any girls and skirts for all boys?
    Come on, it's selective anyway. We pick and choose, wether you like it or not. Just because I don't wear a corset doesn't mean I don't want to be treated and swept off my feet on my first date.
    Just because I like to do the dishes doesn't mean I would pop out sprogs and stay at home once I'm married.
    Just because I don't believe in marriage doesn't make me less of an old-fashined romantic. These are my picks of equality and I can very well use them in what way I like.

(ps. Some women wearing skirts can be real hot, same with men wearing no make up)

think youve made a very funny thread . some of the reactions to your view have been hilarious. but dont feel let down. tho i would never stand as your leaving the table the other traits your looking for do exist in many . good luck on your journey in life and stick to your guns .

btw where did you grow up ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

help me order wine off the menu, recommend a dish...

:eek: OMG are you for real?

Do you not bring your brain out when you go on dates?:eek:

How long have you been single?

elexes wrote: »
    think youve made a very funny thread . some of the reactions to your view have been hilarious. but dont feel let down. tho i would never stand as your leaving the table the other traits your looking for do exist in many . good luck on your journey in life and stick to your guns .

btw where did you grow up ?

No maybe the standing when I leave thing was a bit OTT, but believe it or not, some guys do.

In the equivalent of Tallaght in Stockholm, Sweden. It even rhymes:
    Akalla

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Look, mine was only a short way of explaining it. Of course I wouldn't sit there like a stone going: you decide, you decide.
    It's those little things, those attention giving moments that are important. Getting me weak at my knees would be in the line of:
    At the table:
    And total brownie points are if he stands up when I stand up, if he helps me put on my coat, if he gives me his coat if I happen to think I don't need one and it's cold going to the taxi whatever.

I would do most of those things for my gf, not the wine though as I don't drink so don't know anything about it :) I dont really see much wrong with your views to be honest, we do the halfies thing most of the time, sometimes I get it, sometimes she gets it. I paid on the 1st date, 4 years ago next month, each to their own I suppose. (she offered to pay half, I said no, ill get it)

:eek: OMG are you for real?

Do you not bring your brain out when you go on dates?:eek:

How long have you been single?

whats wrong with that shes looking for a second opinion on a choise of wine that will go with the meal. its not a life or death decision but if i ordered somthing off the top of my head that turns out to be nothing better then water from the liffy then the other person may also not enjoy it and could of had a better suggestion becuase the actually took a wine course or something simular

At the table:

That's actually not bad, I was picking up what you said in a completely different way.

Although I wouldn't be bothered with the standing up when you stand up, or helping with your coat (in most cases). Giving my coat would depend on the night \ person but in most cases I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

If I asked someone out then I would feel obliged to pay full whack for a meal or cinema or whatever we choose to do. If a girl asked me out then I would still feel obliged but wouldn't be uncomfortable if we went Dutch, though a little uncomforatable if she paid fully.

If we went Dutch on a date in which I asked her out, a part of me would worry that she is not that into me and doesn't want to feel obliged to possibly meet again.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am going to show this thread to OH, so he know how wonderful and amazing i am and what a lucky escape he has had :D

Advertisement