Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens Attitudes in Nightclubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I think eastern european women are the same as all women. Patronizing and bitchey just in a different way. We men a gluttons for punishment, have at me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Despite the amount of them in this area I could nearly count on my fingers the amount of Irish lads Ive seen walking around with EE girls who they are obviously with. Ive seen loads more walking around with Chinese, African, South American etc etc. Despite their lesser numbers in this country Id know of far more Irish-W European couples (Spanish, French, German, Italian etc etc) than with the more ubiquitous easterners. Actually Ive probably seen more African lads with E European girls (not common either, but more so than Irish around here). And Im not sure Ive ever seen, let alone known, of an Irish girl with an eastern dude.

Hmm it's not always obvious by just looking though. Most people who see myself and the BF together assume he's German/Polish/EE and I'm Spanish or Italian when in fact we're both Irish. A Nigerian friend is going out with a blonde Spaniard who everyone thinks is Polish. It might not apply to that many people, but it's something to consider. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I guess he's in the 29.1% of people smarter than you.

Why would you say that then? I didn't say I didn't UNDERSTAND the post. It was just put in an incredibly snooze-some way. :D

I think two minute in your company would be just as soporific for me as it would be for you

Well, we're both happy then, I could do with a bit of shut-eye right now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ozzyoh wrote: »
    Why would you say that then? I didn't say I didn't UNDERSTAND the post. It was just put in an incredibly snooze-some way. :D

I thought he made his point very well - what ewas wrong with it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Just a bit text-bookish for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I guess he's in the 29.1% of people smarter than you.

don't let him sell you an oil painting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tigger wrote: »
    don't let him sell you an oil painting

But I love oil-paintings! And if they're as eloquent as his earlier contribution, I'd certainly be interested in having a look.

You're not a fan of artistic interpretation, I take it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Terry wrote: »
    Meh. I'm a city planner.

Oooh. City planners do it for me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I have no problem with guys coming up and having a chat when I'm out with my friends. I enjoy talking with people when I'm out, both guys and girls, it's nice to have the craic with different people when you're out. It would be a bit boring if you only talked to the group of friends you came out with for the entire night. That said, I'm with somebody at the moment, but I don't think there's anything wrong with having a chat with someone.
    The only time I ever told a guy to 'f-off' was when he repeatedly groped my a$$ ( without any notice, he just walked up and started to help himself to the goods :pac:) and when I told him where to go with himself, he started doing the same thing to my friend!:eek: But if a guy just wants to have a friendly conversation, I don't see the problem. Even if I don't really want to be hit on, I take it as a compliment that somebody thought I seemed nice enough to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Fact of the matter? :confused: As said previously, I have trouble dragging mates to decent dance nights in clubs in town because the majority of the girls will be EE. Yes, some of them will be fluent but there will be alot who know basic English. Hardly easier to talk to, hence the reason none of the lads will go.

I find that very hard to believe that the lads would be against going to it.... some of the EE girls are insanely good dancers. The language thing isn't generally a problem for me, on a friday night I'm looking for light easy conversation which they usually have picked up by now! You're on the button though about them liking the electro scene, though I'm not complaining at all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oblivian

what id have said was "oh so you ARE a big loser, just checking"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

javaboy wrote: »
    She was just playing hard to get. Keep at it OP. Chin up head high.

Some of them get really dedicated too. Like this girl my friend fancies. She's changed her number, moved house and got a barring order against him. Now personally I think she's taking it a bit far but I know they'll make a lovely couple in the end. Plus it will make a great story to tell their children in years to come.

Yet again LMFAO at a Javaboy post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Wibbs wrote: »
    People dress for comfort, practicality, increasing sexual attraction and as a means to fit in with whatever social group they feel allied to. There is an element of competition in that group as well.

When people say they dress for themselves what does that actually mean? It means that on one level dressing a certain way makes them feel better. Why does it make them feel better? It makes them feel better because it makes them accepted and admired by their group and those they wish to attract. It's a chicken and egg situation.

Women as the peacocks dress as much to impress other women as to impress men. Two women show up to a party wearing the same dress? Aaaawkward and nastiness may ensue. Two men show up in the same shirt and trousers? Bugger all. Maybe a joke about it. That's why the question "does my arse look big in this" can never be really answered by men, as it's more a case of "will other women think I've a fat arse and bitch about it".

In our society women dress up more than the men. They are by and large the peacocks. In other societies it's the men. Even the expression to "dress up" suggests increasing whatever signals he or she wishes to express to the group. By doing so in a sexually charged social environment will attract attention from those in that environment. Throw in lack of inhibition from alcohol etc. In which case, while it is at times irritating when unwelcome it is hardly unexpected.

If you look at the extremes, say a woman dressed in fúck me heels, a mini skirt that barely covers her arse and a low cut top that exposes her charms. She would have to be naive(dense really) in the extreme to think that she will not attract sexually charged attention from men. After all that is what that mode of dress is primarily designed to do. It's not for comfort, its hardly practical and it's certainly not (directly) aimed at women. Now it may make her feel better about herself, but it does so because it makes her feel higher value in the attraction stakes. The same woman in a pair of baggy dungarees is not going to garner the same attention. Simple as that.

In an ideal world men would be respectful and polite and ogling and unwelcome comments would not happen. Sadly we don't live in an ideal world and have to at times accept that. I'm not going to march down the Falls road in a Union Jack tee shirt, though it is my "right" to do so. I would expect unwanted attention. A clumsy example to be sure, but not a million miles away.

Men should have manners and cop on. sadly enough of them don't. Women should have manners when dealing with someone who is being polite to them, but again sadly enough of them don't.

Oh yea, YORE MA dresses like a slappa.

^Wibbs, cutting through most of the bull$hit in this thread, as usual. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

lets sum up this whole thread

men are all cads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

The standard of english here is atrocious at times sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

staker wrote: »

Wat du ya meen inglish!!!!;)

musicmonky wrote: »
    lets some up this whole thread

men are all cads

QFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

staker wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaudere's_Law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

women = bitches = women

the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Not a day goes by where I dont see the Harry Enfield pisstake of 1940s women films.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 browler

These groupings are very general and with all generalisations are prone to execeptions...but i think this is a good guide for places in dublin where you would be likely to different types of women. Ive identified certain venues due to experience where the chances of meeting the attitute that the OP met are greatly increased but thats not saying that you wont meet a similar attitude in some of the other venues either but the probability is lessened. I have also left out plenty of venues no doubt.

Group 1: bruxelles, hogans, whelans, flannerys, bleeding horse, coppers, the village,the hairy lemon, quinns, the big tree

Clientelle :-
    Laid back ..majority from the country (nurses + teachers)

Approaching is tricky as there are many nooks and corners in these places and groupings are common but women are generally approachable here.

Group 2: mulligans, the long hall, kehoes, gravedigger

Clientelle :- Guinness drinkers ( good mix of backgrounds)

People are generally there for a chat and the guinness. Chances are very high of striking up a good conversation with women ~11 o clock

Group 3: the odeon, the bailey, dakota, the bank, cafe enseine, howl at the moon,diceys, the church

Clientelle :- Middle class (financial services + health)

high risk (bitchy attitude) venues, good if your going on a date, dress to impress. You will need to have a good job to impress women here. If your in to the older women (30+) some of the above spots can be good.

Group 3: Pravda, zanzibar
    Clientelle :- Eastern block

Dealing with broken english etc...success dependent of situation

Group 4: Templebar, break for the border

Clientelle :-
    Mix of native dubs and tourists.

The temple bar can be good for striking up a conversation. Good maybe if you plan on a visit to hotel room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Dudess wrote: »

Nice reference Dudess.
    I meant the double contradiction but didn't realise i needed to capitalise the noun:eek:
    This Muphry's law is going to be everywhere I look now, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well proper nouns, unless otherwise indicated, are meant to begin with a capital letter :)

Heh, it seems to be a guarantee, hence the concept of Muphry's Law. I once applied for a job and in my covering letter I wrote "I have a good grasp of the English languge"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

browlers post is very good, and I'd agree with it for the most part. For me? Group 2 or death. I'm only 18 and all the rest, but I can't stand the kind of stuck up characters described in the first post.
    women = bitches = women

the end.

Much lolz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 goodcitizen

Smart Bug wrote: »
    I have chatted up quite the few ladies of many nationalities in my time and I can say that in my experience Irish girls have been the most ignorant of all, at times displaying a level of arrogance and conceit I've not seen in any other nationality.

Recently got told to f'off by some D4 girl, not nice OP but you gotta hang in there, there are some nice ladies out there! (almost have myself convinced...)
    I second that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 goodcitizen

monosharp wrote: »
    Is that the Irish women's "to do list" ? Then please go ahead. :D

After experiencing real women, I never ever will have the slightest intention of even looking at an Irish girl ever again.

Irish women are a glass of dirty greasy dish water compared to foreign women who are a glass of red wine. :cool:
    And I completely second that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

monosharp wrote: »
    Most Americans I have met are idiots. Most Western people haven't a clue about non-western culture. etc etc etc.

I would not classify Americans as Idiots, Just Ignorant of others outside their country. You should see their News media to understand why. Some Americans think leprechauns do exist from watching the film "Darby O'Gill and the Little People". When I travelled across the states in 1999 & 2000, Most Americans I have talk to have not travelled outside their states, especially in the south, They wondering why am I travelling through their town.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think women are well within their rights to tell you to bugger off if you try to chat them up in a bar.

You're invading somebody else's personal space and you're not doing it because you want to be their mate, you're doing it because you want to get into their pants and - HERE'S THE SCOOP - women know that!

Why should they be polite when they're subjected to unwanted sexual attention?

Christ knows they get enough sleazy feckers hassling them, most of these girls probably started off polite before realising that the best way to deal with it is to be firm or even rude.

There's an attitude I've noticed among my fellow males whereby they seem to think that women owe them something purely for having plucked up the courage to speak to them... well, they don't.

But overall, the advice in this thread is good. Learn to pick your battles and the terrain on which you fight them and this won't happen so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Dudess wrote: »
    The rude ones are assholes all right and maybe yes, there's more of it among Irish women than women of other nationalities - no doubt there's a lot of it among English, Scottish, Welsh, Aussie (I've heard that's very much the case) and Kiwi women also. It's not just an Irish female thing and it doesn't mean that all Irish women can be tarred with that brush.
    I found that working class Aussie and some English women are bitches to their men but tend to be more open to foreigners.

Advertisement