Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

thekopend wrote: »
    That's just it. It can't be the same. There only trying to spin money out of next campaign. It won't have any relevance. At the end of the day any fool can do that course and come out the end of it still a fool. A day course that prepares for the real thing is the only thing worth spending money on IMO

They are calling it a diploma which makes it sound good. But I suppose anyone can just set up a course and call it a diploma . I wonder if they are getting any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Unless the awarding body is fetac which it isn't I'd say it might not be taken too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

thekopend wrote: »
    Unless the awarding body is fetac which it isn't I'd say it might not be taken too seriously.

It's the Institute of Commercial Management !
    No NFQ Level mentioned.

Sounds like a con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I did a one year plc course in security studies which was aimed for garda recruitment and has got me nowhere, pls dont waste your money

Colaiste Ide ?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Colaiste Ide ?

Whitehall college unfortunatly. Theres so many bs courses out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I did a one year plc course in security studies which was aimed for garda recruitment and has got me nowhere

How do you mean it got you nowhere? I know loads of lads in the reserves who done a similar course to that one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

I did a one year plc course in security studies which was aimed for garda recruitment and has got me nowhere
    I did 2 years. Funny im nealry covinced its the reason I got the reserves. Got a nice level 5 and 6 and first aid and a computer cert out of it too.

http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/courses/2013/security/police-and-security-studies

Well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

It's crazy that there's so many unaccredited courses around. You can get a diploma in anything for just a few hours work.

If you're going to do a course at least make sure that it's NFQ recognised. At least your piece of paper will be worth something.

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    I did 2 years. Funny im nealry covinced its the reason I got the reserves. Got a nice level 5 and 6 and first aid and a computer cert out of it too.

http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/courses/2013/security/police-and-security-studies

Well worth it

I'm doing an identical course and the tutor tells me he knows loads of guards/prison officers who joined straight after that course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

carzony wrote: »
    I'm doing an identical course and the tutor tells me he knows loads of guards/prison officers who joined straight after that course..

Now why would he go and make up something like that...

• Advertisement

Cd_doe wrote: »
    Now why would he go and make up something like that...

To sell the course to yas and make you feel like your not blown your money

To sell the course to yas and make you feel like your not blown your money

well it is fetac level 6... One lad on here has done the course and he got the reserves out of it..

I know 3 lads who done the same course and got the reserves out of it also... It a well known course. I'm surprised you lads have never heard of it...

So do I. Great course loved it myself I wished there had been a level 7 and 8

well it is fetac level 6... One lad on here has done the course and he got the reserves out of it..

I know 3 lads who done the same course and got the reserves out of it also... It a well known course. I'm surprised you lads have never heard of it...
    Its actually a level 5 and 6 Fetac Award. I also got into third level college with it. It generally isnt policing stuff its all health and safety, some psychology, first aid and other things. Even had business

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Its actually a level 5 and 6 Fetac Award. I also got into third level college with it. It generally isnt policing stuff its all health and safety, some psychology, first aid and other things. Even had business

Mine has all that aswell, I find the business very intresting. What course did you start in third level? I was looking at criminal psychology or probably business for next year..

Wow he paid 800 euro to get a volunteer reserve unpaid job out of it, I know two girls that are in the reserves an im sure all the rest didnt have to spend 800 to get in either. op hit the nail on the head saying there tryna make money out the next recruitment campaign, thats the way this country works their just tryna screw money out of ya just like the 2grand fora two week barber course and be a certified barber.. Laughable

Wow he paid 800 euro to get a volunteer reserve unpaid job out of it, I know two girls that are in the reserves an im sure all the rest didnt have to spend 800 to get in either. op hit the nail on the head saying there tryna make money out the next recruitment campaign, thats the way this country works their just tryna screw money out of ya just like the 2grand fora two week barber course and be a certified barber.. Laughable

If you read my posts properly i'm doing the PLC to help me get into third level next year. I'm not worried about the garda right now.....

800 to get into the reserves? I'm sure the reserves will help him get into full time so I think the 800 was well worth it. Considering a career could be there for him..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

And the tutor never lies!

Danish I did that course off my own back to have a level 5 and 6 in policing because I wanted it. It got me into a level 7 course in another subject then. The reserves was just a bonus and I got that from my knowledge of this course and my own drive that the interviewers saw. Im not saying this will get you the Gardai I just think its a interesting course people might like. Its not aimed at Garda recruitment its more aimed at security and PSA licence you get out of it. Next time you decide bashing me check your facts!! And another thing your attitude stinks. IF people want to do courses like that to help them then off with them. You should support them and help anyone you can. Youll have to do it in the job. Though that diploma course people are on about doesnt look like its worth anything on paper. If your going to do a course do something that gives you a cert so you can fall back on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RogerSmith

Agree with above post did the Fetac Security course myself a couple years back and found it very enjoyable, they used to have a Security Management Ordinary Degree from DIT but dis-continued it the year I would of gone onto it :(
    People complaining about them what exactly did you expect?, a job minding the President at the end of it, they do exactly what they say on the tin no guarantees. There defo a bonus (only a slight bonus people with social work/defence force/prison officer will look better than a private security background IMO) in any Garda campaign. And for the record my courses only cost €200 a year I think and the hours were good for the students who wanted to keep on working, good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Gardai1972.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

yenom wrote: »
    Gardai1972.jpg

Must be unmarried whats that about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chippy12

Hey all

Did anyone here what was said in the dail a few weeks ago about them looking at maybe getting rid of the leaving cert to make way for requirements based on the national framework , what's people's thoughts on this good or bad???

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

chippy12 wrote: »
    Hey all

Did anyone here what was said in the dail a few weeks ago about them looking at maybe getting rid of the leaving cert to make way for requirements based on the national framework , what's people's thoughts on this good or bad???

National framework?? Please tell on what these requirements are

mycro89 wrote: »
    National framework?? Please tell on what these requirements are
    This is what was said!

I thank Deputy O'Mahony for raising this matter, which I am taking on behalf of the Minister for Justice and Equality, Deputy Shatter, who is attending a Justice and Home Affairs ministerial meeting in Vilnius today.
    The House will be aware that the Minister announced on Monday that he had received sanction from his colleague the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Deputy Howlin, to hold a recruitment competition for An Garda Síochána. This is a very welcome development and the Minister is grateful to Minster, Deputy Howlin, for his sanction to proceed with this competition. The Minster firmly believes that, despite the general public service moratorium on recruitment, and the continuing financial constraints, an organisation like An Garda Síochána should have an intake of new members, even if at a modest level, on a regular basis.
    Given the procedures that need to be put in place in advance of recruitment commencing, the anticipated high number of applications, the selection process and the formation of a panel, it will be 2014 before students will enter the Garda college in Templemore to begin training. The competition will be run by the Public Appointments Service. As things stand, some 27,000 expressions of interest have been received from persons wishing to join the Garda Síochána. The Minister expects there will be a large number of applications once the recruitment process formally opens. It is too early at this stage to indicate how many persons might be recruited, as this will depend on a number of factors including the rate of retirements.
    The student-probationer training programme upon which these students will be embarking has been radically restructured. The main difference between it and the earlier programme is that the new programme carries a greater emphasis on operational policing and focuses on real life scenarios which, in turn, prepare students better for the policing challenges they will face. The new programme will also instil a lifelong learning philosophy for members of the Garda Síochána, with a suite of mandatory and elective courses being made available. In the light of this revised training programme, and in view of the fact that the existing Garda recruitment panel is now approximately five years old, it will not be used in this or any future recruitment. Of course, people on the panel may reapply to join the Garda Síochána, once they meet the eligibility criteria.
    In addition to the review of the training programme in the Garda College, the Commissioner has also considered whether some changes could be made in the area of educational requirements, to align them with the national framework of qualifications, while at the same time using the leaving certificate as an optional entry level requirement. The objective would be to align educational requirements with the official framework as well as open up access to those who may not have completed the leaving certificate but have completed another course which demonstrates their abilities, perhaps in a less academic environment. Such a change could also make it more straightforward to recognise qualifications achieved outside Ireland as the framework provides a comparative tool with qualifications gained outside the State. A decision will be taken on this as part of the preparations for the holding of a competition.
    The Minister is determined that the resources of An Garda Síochána will be used in the best, most effective and efficient way possible. The House will be aware that the agreement reached with the Garda associations includes a provision for a review of the Garda Síochána and that this review includes the structure, organisation and staffing of An Garda Síochána. The review is due to start in September of this year and to be completed in June of next year. The Minister remains confident that the primary Garda objective of combating crime will continue to be achieved, and that, despite the pressure on the public finances, the force will continue, with this fresh impetus of new recruitment, its excellent work of preventing and detecting criminal behaviour.

chippy12 wrote: »
    This is what was said!

As things stand, some 27,000 expressions of interest have been received from persons wishing to join the Garda Síochána. The Minister expects there will be a large number of applications once the recruitment process formally opens. It is too early at this stage to indicate how many persons might be recruited, as this will depend on a number of factors including the rate of retirements.

Jeez, that's some competition! Even if they have 1,000 places going thats 27 candidates per job. A 4% chance of getting in.
    In the light of this revised training programme, and in view of the fact that the existing Garda recruitment panel is now approximately five years old, it will not be used in this or any future recruitment.

So the panel, those who've met the criteria before and have been kept on the long finger for years with no information are now gone.
    Of course, people on the panel may reapply to join the Garda Síochána, once they meet the eligibility criteria.
    How reassuring :rolleyes:
    In addition to the review of the training programme in the Garda College, the Commissioner has also considered whether some changes could be made in the area of educational requirements...Such a change could also make it more straightforward to recognise qualifications achieved outside Ireland as the framework provides a comparative tool with qualifications gained outside the State

So a leaving cert might not be required? Maybe they're opening up the competition to all EU citizens, not just Irish citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

So a leaving cert might not be required? Maybe they're opening up the competition to all EU citizens, not just Irish citizens?

That would be politically a disaster. Many people would also not take a foreign garda serious either.

That would be politically a disaster. Many people would also not take a foreign garda serious either.
    It's about time we see a change in the gardai it would be great to see foreign people in the job, go to london or up north u see many different races in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

For the last 8 yrs at least candidates from any country have been eligible to join. According to this there are 18 chinese nationals in AGS, 7 polish, 5 yanks, 2 romanians, 1 greek, 1 south african and 1 dane.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/special-day-for-chinese-gardai-26823312.html

• Advertisement

Advertisement