Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

From the minute an applicant applies for a role, how long does it take from application to templemore in previous campaigns anyway?

I applied in 1992, and commenced training in 1994, and was the penultimate intake of the 92 competition. However that was when there was continual recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Thanks for the responses fellas appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

From the minute an applicant applies for a role, how long does it take from application to templemore in previous campaigns anyway?

Seeing as they ain't start the college till next year i be guessing September 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Does anyone in the know reckon people who aren't in the reserve would be in with a chance of getting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

zega wrote: »
    Does anyone in the know reckon people who aren't in the reserve would be in with a chance of getting in?

I'd say anyone in the defence forces, prison service, reserves ect have a big advantage here really. I'm sure people not involved in those jobs could get in but i'd imagine very few this recruitment anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

you have as good a chance as anyone

If you can prove to the panel that your good enough for the world of frontline policing - you need not worry about anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adrian2

Scouser wrote: »
    you have as good a chance as anyone

If you can prove to the panel that your good enough for the world of frontline policing - you need not worry about anyone

completely agree with this who knows how difficult even the apt test will be as they will most likely have restructured it completely. They really will be able to have their pick and choose this campaign due to the sheer numbers due to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think what we are looking at from now on will be a slow but constant and consistent recruitment process.
    I doubt there will ever be mass recruitment drives like 2004 again.

That in mind, competition will be stiffer for a long time time, but as it is an employers market, the pay and/or conditions will deteriorate until such a time as people don't want to be Gardaí anymore.

I think what we are looking at from now on will be a slow but constant and consistent recruitment process.
    I doubt there will ever be mass recruitment drives like 2004 again.

That in mind, competition will be stiffer for a long time time, but as it is an employers market, the pay and/or conditions will deteriorate until such a time as people don't want to be Gardaí anymore.

This may be exactly true just hope I'm one of the few that slip in haha or else I'll have major backup plans to initiate!the next four or five weeks can't come soon enough if news is to be believed. I'm absolutely bricking the aptitude test if I'm honest I think they will make it pretty tricky this campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Its certainly exciting stuff isn't it guys. Be a great buzz when the news is announced :)
    I can't wait.
    Do yee have the recommended requirements already or going to do them?
    Roll on the open day too in the college, presuming there will be one :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Of course they will but it would be no harm to have a good answer to this question.

"You say that you have always wanted to be a Garda. Why didn't you apply for the Garda Reserve?"

Garda Reserve will be given a definite advantage in the recruitment process

annlewis wrote: »
    Its certainly exciting stuff isn't it guys. Be a great buzz when the news is announced :)
    I can't wait.
    Do yee have the recommended requirements already or going to do them?
    Roll on the open day too in the college, presuming there will be one :)

just to be clear the requirements are?????
    Have they been updated?is there anyone on this
    Applying from overseas??

adrian2 wrote: »
    just to be clear the requirements are?????
    Have they been updated?is there anyone on this
    Applying from overseas??
    They were recommended as new requirements but I dont think they have been announced yet as a must. They are to have a full licence, a swimming cert, 1st aid, manual handling and an ECDL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Of course they will but it would be no harm to have a good answer to this question.

"You say that you have always wanted to be a Garda. Why didn't you apply for the Garda Reserve?"

Garda Reserve will be given a definite advantage in the recruitment process

Yeah as if! What planet are you living on? Not a chance will they ask a question like that! Its an interview, not an interrogation! Your applying for the Garda siochana, not the reserves. Why would they ask you about the reserves? Its got nothing to do with it. They're not going to frown upon people who didn't apply for the reserves. Many people were unable to join the reserves through no fault of there own. I for one am employed for the department of defence and I couldn't apply. I couldn't apply either in the past because I was working in security. It's not going to hold me back the fact that I'm not a reserve.

If you think Garda reserve have a definite advantage your living in cookoo land. There are many great people out there who have a fantastic chance of joining the force. If you think wearing the blue uniform for a few hours a month and watching Gardai do there job is an advantage then off you go. Your snobbery and arrogance will be your downfall.

Everybody has just as good a chance as anybody else. We are all equal. Nobody is entitled to the job no matter who you are or what you do.

People need to help each other out in this forum, we all want the job, we all need to work for the job, but no one deserves the job.

It's just the applicant in a room speaking to three people that's all. The best people will shine through

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

Yeah as if! What planet are you living on? Not a chance will they ask a question like that! Its an interview, not an interrogation! Your applying for the Garda siochana, not the reserves. Why would they ask you about the reserves? Its got nothing to do with it. They're not going to frown upon people who didn't apply for the reserves. Many people were unable to join the reserves through no fault of there own. I for one am employed for the department of defence and I couldn't apply. I couldn't apply either in the past because I was working in security. It's not going to hold me back the fact that I'm not a reserve.

If you think Garda reserve have a definite advantage your living in cookoo land. There are many great people out there who have a fantastic chance of joining the force. If you think wearing the blue uniform for a few hours a month and watching Gardai do there job is an advantage then off you go. Your snobbery and arrogance will be your downfall.

Everybody has just as good a chance as anybody else. We are all equal. Nobody is entitled to the job no matter who you are or what you do.

People need to help each other out in this forum, we all want the job, we all need to work for the job, but no one deserves the job.

It's just the applicant in a room speaking to three people that's all. The best people will shine through

The interview panel may not directly ask a candidate if they are / are not a Reserve member of AGS however to say having an inside view and persepctive of the organisation will not be beneficial to a candidate is misleading.

The vast majority of employers view candidates who have relevant experience in a closely related field with favour; think of the number of paralegals, summer interns in accounting firms, engineering offices and so forth who gain industry relevant experence and go on to succesfully secure employment in their chosen profession. Granted people may have been excluded from joining the Garda Reserves due to their employment situation.

Essentially what I am saying is that not being a reserve memebr of AGS will not be held against someone, however being a reserve member of AGS has, come the interview, the potential to be advantageous to potential candidates.

As with any competition it's up to each candidate to put themselves in the most advantageous position possible.

Section_4 wrote: »
    As with any competition it's up to each candidate to put themselves in the most advantageous position possible.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Yeah as if! What planet are you living on? Not a chance will they ask a question like that! Its an interview, not an interrogation! Your applying for the Garda siochana, not the reserves. Why would they ask you about the reserves? Its got nothing to do with it. They're not going to frown upon people who didn't apply for the reserves.

Not sure what planet you are living on, that was one of the main questions they asked me and two other people in interview. Went to retired superintendent who used to be on interview panel for a few tips before interview and he said that the garda reserve question has always been asked since they has come in. It is especially asked if they spot a gap of unemployment in your employment history. I passed interview at the time without being in reserves but definetly don't head into interview thinking they will not ask anything about garda reserve.

And yes it is more like an interrigation, they fire questions at you trying to catch you out, provoking a smart response or to try make you panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I'm from the North guys, and seriously considering applying for the garda, all this reserve talk had kinda worried me, as it's not possible for me to even consider the reserve as I'm nowhere near the border or else I would've, I decided to email the recruitment queries email that's given on the main site, just got a response there, saying not to worry, as its open to everyone, and everyone who applies has a good a chance as anyone else, it will come down to the testing and the fitness, fitness being key, that's the response I got, just more for my own cictumstances as I'm sure there will be some who apply from up north who will not have been able to consider the reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

I'm from the North guys, and seriously considering applying for the garda, all this reserve talk had kinda worried me, as it's not possible for me to even consider the reserve as I'm nowhere near the border or else I would've, I decided to email the recruitment queries email that's given on the main site, just got a response there, saying not to worry, as its open to everyone, and everyone who applies has a good a chance as anyone else, it will come down to the testing and the fitness, fitness being key, that's the response I got, just more for my own cictumstances as I'm sure there will be some who apply from up north who will not have been able to consider the reserve

If you have a genuine reason for not being able to go for reserves you have nothing to worry about and it wont go against you in any way but expect the question to be asked in interview stage.

Has anyone heard anything concrete on the new recomendations where they will definetly be required for this competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They won't ask 'why did you not join the reserves'?

But anyone that did, will be sure to mention that they did and how much of an eye opening experience it was for them.

• Advertisement

kev-bt wrote: »

Has anyone heard anything concrete on the new recomendations where they will definetly be required for this competition?

Wondering about that too. I'm thinking I'll drop an email like Highbury Lad earlier. If they come in id have to get a few things done in a short time. Like others in sure

If you think wearing the blue uniform for a few hours a month and watching Gardai do there job is an advantage then off you go.

what a horrendous attitude to have - i hope you dont get next to near the gates of templemore

your slandering members of the force you wish to join? madness - and coming from someone who claims to come from a defence backround - have some respect for the civil power, of which GRs are members of

you better believe that your at a disadvantage to people who have frontline policing experience. everyone will be

Scouser wrote: »
    what a horrendous attitude to have - i hope you dont get next to near the gates of templemore

your slandering members of the force you wish to join? madness - and coming from someone who claims to come from a defence backround - have some respect for the civil power, of which GRs are members of

you better believe that your at a disadvantage to people who have frontline policing experience. everyone will be

First of all it's not slander. Slander is saying a derogatory statement about someone which is untrue and causes them to loose there good name.

Nothing I said there is slander, or even libel.

Nobody is at a disadvantage in this competition. Everybody has just as good a chance as the next person, no matter what background they have. There are thousands of well capable people out there who aren't reserves. By you saying everyone who doesn't have frontline experience is at a disadvantage is your opinion. We are all entitled to our opinion. I've given mine, you've given yours.

I would never wish upon someone not to get in either. That's very childish.

I have so much respect for Gardai, and the Garda reserve.

I'm going to end this by repeating what I have said before. If you think wearing the blue uniform for a couple of hours a month gives you an advantage then off you go.

I have so much respect for Gardai, and the Garda reserve.

I'm going to end this by repeating what I have said before. If you think wearing the blue uniform for a couple of hours a month gives you an advantage then off you go.

so if you respect members of Garda rank and Reserve Garda rank

who are these blue uniform people you speak of?

It is you who are not in the real world. At the launch of the Garda Reserve the Garda Commissioner clearly stated that good service with the Reserve will provide an advantage to people applying for An Garda Siochana.
    Are you aware how the application process works?
    Are you aware that you will be interviewed informally by a Sergeant at the local station who will then forward his/her impressions of you gained by the interview and by speaking with people who you have provided as referees
    Do you not think that if you were a Reserve and the Sergeant contacted your supervisor who gave you an excellent reference that it would not stand to you.
    If you think that application for An Garda Siochana is decided solely on what happens in the final interview then you are in for a landing.

Not being a Garda Reserve may not be a disadvantage but I can assure you that being a Garda Reserve, working with the Gardaí (even for 16 hours a month) and being in a position where your good performance has been noted by a Garda supervisor will be a definite advantage.

As for accusing me of being snobbish and arrogance I would say that it your snobbery, arrogance and ignorance has blinded you to the fact that I know what I am saying and have a lot more experience of the recruitment methods than you.
    Maybe you would be better going back to the old security number.

You may have seen my response to a poster and I don't mean to worry you.
    You obviously have very good reasons as to why you were unable to apply for the Reserve. There are many other aspects of contribution to the community that will be assets. While fitness will be relevant issues such a life experience, education etc. will all come in to consideration.
    I suppose the question of why you may not have applied to PSNI might be at the back of the interview boards minds.(if you have not applied)
    I am not being argumentative but just raising matters which I think might come up during the interview process.

They won't ask 'why did you not join the reserves'?

But anyone that did, will be sure to mention that they did and how much of an eye opening experience it was for them.

If you were on an interview board and someone said "I have always wanted to be a Garda" do you not think asking them why didn't they apply to join the Garda Reserves is a reasonable question.
    Even if it was just to test the candidates response under pressure, especially if they had said "I work well under pressure"
    They would face a lot worse under cross examination in court.

I can't help but get the feeling that a lot of posters here have never been at an interview of any consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

You really haven't a clue have you?, I feel awfull sorry for how thick you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Good Afternoon all,

Should anyone here have any contacts for or know of where Preparation aptitude tests are currently being run could you please PM me with contact details for same

Or should you recommend any aptitude test books please also PM me.

Thanks in advance,
    Mycro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

mycro89 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon all,

Should anyone here have any contacts for or know of where Preparation aptitude tests are currently being run could you please PM me with contact details for same

Or should you recommend any aptitude test books please also PM me.

Thanks in advance,
    Mycro.

pm'd you mate

Advertisement