Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Getting grand and busy around here again :) yay

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Canyon86 wrote: »
    pm'd you mate

Canyon86 can you PM me too please

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

pm'd you mate

Hey canyon could u pm me to please. Thanks a mil in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

pm'd you mate

It may be easier for you and everyone else if you just put the name of the material you used out for all to see.

There's nothing wrong with naming a product and providing a synopsised review of what you thought of it and its suitability for its intended purpose on an online forum, especially as you are a third party and not publicising your own product / service.

If you care to check the PSNI recruitment forum you will see Boardies openly sharing such information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If you were on an interview board and someone said "I have always wanted to be a Garda" do you not think asking them why didn't they apply to join the Garda Reserves is a reasonable question.
    Even if it was just to test the candidates response under pressure, especially if they had said "I work well under pressure"
    They would face a lot worse under cross examination in court.

I can't help but get the feeling that a lot of posters here have never been at an interview of any consequence.

No, I don't think it's a reasonable question.
    'Why did you not join the reserves?'...it's very presumptuous. How do they know you didn't join? Maybe you did, and you don't feel like mentioning it.
    And the job of a person on the interview panel is to judge you by the information you do provide, not by the information you don't provide

Furthermore, umpteen people on applying for these posts will have perfectly acceptable reasons for not being a GR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adrian2

Kilroys college do a prep course choosing around 200 euro and if your in the South of the country career services.ie are worth lookin into. Easons and other serious newsagents will also have apt test prep books. To be honest it's all pie in the sky as now is the perfect time for them to re format the whole entrance exam but no harm studying from the old process til any of us are told different

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adrian2

adrian2 wrote: »
    Kilroys college do a prep course choosing around 200 euro and if your in the South of the country career services.ie are worth lookin into. Easons and other serious newsagents will also have apt test prep books. To be honest it's all pie in the sky as now is the perfect time for them to re format the whole entrance exam but no harm studying from the old process til any of us are told different

*costing

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

If you think Garda reserve have a definite advantage your living in cookoo land.

Apparently it's the law that reserves are given priority.
    (I was told this by a detective inspector, don't attack me if you're not in agreement with it!)

PeteK* wrote: »
    (I was told this by a detective inspector, don't attack me if you're not in agreement with it!)

Horses***.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

No, I don't think it's a reasonable question.
    'Why did you not join the reserves?'...it's very presumptuous. How do they know you didn't join? Maybe you did, and you don't feel like mentioning it.

Do you actually think an interview panel are not going to know if you are a reserve or not, do you not think they will have this information in front of them. It has already been said that this question was asked by the interview panel for the campaign in 2007/8. I presume the bulk of info given when applying is at there disposal for the interview. Like if you were ever arrested and they ask you about it in the interview, which has happened. How did they know that info?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

No its law that they arnt. The law is the recruitment has to be open to everyone. I see that changing though in the future. IT most likely will be something like yu have to be a reserve first. But for now thats not the case

thekopend wrote: »
    Do you actually think an interview panel are not going to know if you are a reserve or not, do you not think they will have this information in front of them. It has already been said that this question was asked by the interview panel for the campaign in 2007/8. I presume the bulk of info given when applying is at there disposal for the interview. Like if you were ever arrested and they ask you about it in the interview, which has happened. How did they know that info?

I should hope not.
    AGS just like the GR will have their interviews conducted on their behalf by the public appointments service. The public appointments service should only have access to information about you, that was provided by you. If they are going beyond this, and furthermore, confronting you on it, then they will have committed a serious breach of your privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I should hope not.
    AGS just like the GR will have their interviews conducted on their behalf by the public appointments service. The public appointments service should only have access to information about you, that was provided by you. If they are going beyond this, and furthermore, confronting you on it, then they will have committed a serious breach of your privacy.

correction they are 'organised' by the Pas.
    the interview panel for full time has a member of the pas, a shrink and also has a member of the gardai on it aswell!. usually a superintendent. and if you have ever been arrested but not convicted(as this would bar you more or less) you can bet your back side he/she will ask questions, they have every right to ask, you have to realise the job you are going for. same goes for being a reserve or not, he/she may or may not ask you why you didnt join for any particular reason. its a case if you can prove weather you are suitable for the job and reserves have an obvious advantage here because instead of just explaining they have the skills, they can describe using them effectively in the exact environment in which gardai work. To say there is no advantage is being naive.

The leased you will need is a good reason for not doing it. but if you dont have one id say its a case of go out and get experience and join the reserve and see if you know you want to do the job instead of thinking you want to do it and then turning around and dropping out. im not saying people who aren't in the reserves wont get in but if you weigh a reserve or someone who has a legitimate reason for not doing it up againsed someone who just couldnt be arsed and is just goin for it who would you pick. (supposedly they all sell themselves as good as each other in interview) who is the safest bet, its not the later. with money being so tight they are going to want to make sure people will stay in the training. im not a reserve and i am prevented from doing it because of my line of work. but i will at leased realise the benefits of being one. if you have a reason for not doing it and convince them your able id say your in with a chance. remember the places to the amount applying, for every place there will be a few reserves going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

thekopend wrote: »
    correction they are 'organised' by the Pas.
    the interview panel for full time has a member of the pas, a shrink and also has a member of the gardai on it aswell!. usually a superintendent. and if you have ever been arrested but not convicted(as this would bar you more or less) you can bet your back side he/she will ask questions, they have every right to ask, you have to realise the job you are going for. same goes for being a reserve or not, he/she may or may not ask you why you didnt join for any particular reason. its a case if you can prove weather you are suitable for the job and reserves have an obvious advantage here because instead of just explaining they have the skills, they can describe using them effectively in the exact environment in which gardai work. To say there is no advantage is being naive.

The leased you will need is a good reason for not doing it. but if you dont have one id say its a case of go out and get experience and join the reserve and see if you know you want to do the job instead of thinking you want to do it and then turning around and dropping out. im not saying people who aren't in the reserves wont get in but if you weigh a reserve or someone who has a legitimate reason for not doing it up againsed someone who just couldnt be arsed and is just goin for it who would you pick. (supposedly they all sell themselves as good as each other in interview) who is the safest bet, its not the later. with money being so tight they are going to want to make sure people will stay in the training. im not a reserve and i am prevented from doing it because of my line of work. but i will at leased realise the benefits of being one. if you have a reason for not doing it and convince them your able id say your in with a chance. remember the places to the amount applying, for every place there will be a few reserves going for it.

No member of the panel will have access to information not provided by you during the application process.

Background information is reviewed during the vetting stage and you will likely also have an interview with your local Super and also possibly Sargent. PAS interviews are competency based interviews and will deal with matters relating to the examples you have provided on your application as well as other examples they may ask you on the day. Being a member of the GR may assist you with your competencies by bringing in relevant Garda experience in situations you have encountered as a GR. But other than that the fact that you were/are in GR will not impact on the process.

The interviews are also pass or fail. You are not competing with other candidates as such. All though others will set the bar. The competitive part of the process is the initial examinations, which determine your order of merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

I haven't had time to look through these posts so I'm not too sure if this has been linked already but her is a link to a website that has 50 analytical reasoning (non-verbal) sequences. Just be warned they are extremely hard so doesn't do much for the confidence but its study material all the same!

http://www.indiabix.com/non-verbal-reasoning/series/001010

Hope it helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

What specific areas does the aptitude test generally cover??

Could those that know please pm

Kind Regards,
    Mycro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Fegten wrote: »
    I haven't had time to look through these posts so I'm not too sure if this has been linked already but her is a link to a website that has 50 analytical reasoning (non-verbal) sequences. Just be warned they are extremely hard so doesn't do much for the confidence but its study material all the same!

http://www.indiabix.com/non-verbal-reasoning/series/001010

Hope it helps..

seems like a stupid test to me. I can't understand what that tests proves?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

carzony wrote: »
    Then you'll probably fail. :pac:
    (I kid, I kid!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Then you'll probably fail. :pac:
    (I kid, I kid!)

:o:o:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

There is a lot of Nepotism in the garda if you have a family member already in the force your a shoe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Jumboman wrote: »
    There is a lot of Nepotism in the garda if you have a family member already in the force your a shoe in.

Bull**** post tbh and shows lack of basic understanding of the recruitment process.

TheNog wrote: »
    Bull**** post tbh and shows lack of basic understanding of the recruitment process.

Would like to agree with you but I believe he is right. Unless your family member is a bumbling buffoon
    Also, if you play GAA at an level you need to shout it out in the interview.

I'm not saying that these things are requirements, but they have helped alot of people over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Your completely wrong

depends on their rank!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You can say that about any job. There will so few numbers being recruited that no one is a shoe in. You still have to get through the recruiting process and the Gardaí do not have a majority on the final interview board.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

Would like to agree with you but I believe he is right. Unless your family member is a bumbling buffoon
    Also, if you play GAA at an level you need to shout it out in the interview.

I'm not saying that these things are requirements, but they have helped alot of people over the years.

It's ill informed opinions spouted as fact, like these, which lend such a bad reputation to the credibility of online forums.

The only advantage having a family member in AGS gives any potential candidate is that they have direct contact and access to people who have succesfully gone through the process before. This advantage can be levelled by an "unconnected" and motivated candidate should they exhibit some initiative, call into their local station and arrange to have a chat with a few Gardaí about the recruitment process.

The preconception of Gardaí recruiting GAA members is so far off the mark I'm not going to bother refuting it save to say it shows a complete lack of knowledge of the recruitment process for AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Section_4 wrote: »
    It's ill informed opinions spouted as fact, like these, which lend such a bad reputation to the credibility of online forums.

The only advantage having a family member in AGS gives any potential candidate is that they have direct contact and access to people who have succesfully gone through the process before. This advantage can be levelled by an "unconnected" and motivated candidate should they exhibit some initiative, call into their local station and arrange to have a chat with a few Gardaí about the recruitment process.

The preconception of Gardaí recruiting GAA members is so far off the mark I'm not going to bother refuting it save to say it shows a complete lack of knowledge of the recruitment process for AGS.

good post :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

TheNog wrote: »

In Ireland its not what you know its who you know!

RTE is another good example of Nepotism.

carzony wrote: »

I havnt a notion either what the test proves, but at this stage if the PAS asked me to sing the test I'd do it to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Whats the exact education requirements? I dont have my leaving but have an equivelent

Iv also heard its not as good career as it ust to be money wise and etc

• Advertisement

Whats the exact education requirements? I dont have my leaving but have an equivelent

Iv also heard its not as good career as it ust to be money wise and etc

An Garda Síochána: Minimum entry requirements is Leaving Certificate with specified minimum grades in Mathematics and in two languages one of which must be either English or Irish.

The criteria for appointment as a Reserve member, in respect of character, educational qualifications,nationality and residence, will be broadly the same as for a permanent member of An Garda Síochána.

Specific degree subjects required
    Open to non graduates and graduates of all disciplines.

Other relevant degree subjects
    Law
    Psychology
    Social science
    Social work
    Specific entry requirements
    An Garda Síochána: Citizenship or residency requirements must also be met. Applicants to join either the Reserve or the permanent force will be vetted.

Candidates must be between 18 and 35 years of age and must pass an exacting medical exam. Candidates must be of good mental and bodily health and free from any defect or abnormality likely to interfere with the efficient performance of their duties. The requirement to be of a specific height has been removed and replaced with a physical competency test.

Advertisement