Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Just read we will have 600 Million to spend from the budget savings.. Some of that will defo go to recruitment. Apparently ministers are having a meeting to see where the money needs to be spend..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

It would be good to have dublin gardas working in dublin. A lot of the country gardas working in dublin are completely out of touch with dublin people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Jumboman wrote: »
    It would be good to have dublin gardas working in dublin. A lot of the country gardas working in dublin are completely out of touch with dublin people.

Gardas. Really? ...gardas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

It would be good to have dublin gardaí working in dublin. A lot of the country gardaí working in dublin are completely out of touch with dublin people.

They move gardaí around out of fear they might be too IN touch with the local people.

Imagine if a garda's childhood friend committed a crime. If that garda policed his local area he may be more inclined to let the friend off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There are many many Dublin born Gardaí working in Dublin. It's just a lazy stereotype to resort to the notion of the country born Garda being the only Gardaí in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hi all,

I see you can now book for the prep courses for the entrance exams and such already, in anticipation of next year. They have dates this month and November for them.

Does anyone know if they are any good/worth doing? 230 quid for the complete package - the day course, and all study materials i.e. booklets and past questions on verbal reasoning, plus numerical reasoning (even though that type of test hasn't appeared since 1994).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

chops018 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I see you can now book for the prep courses for the entrance exams and such already, in anticipation of next year. They have dates this month and November for them.

Does anyone know if they are any good/worth doing? 230 quid for the complete package - the day course, and all study materials i.e. booklets and past questions on verbal reasoning, plus numerical reasoning (even though that type of test hasn't appeared since 1994).

Well I see it this way, it's no harm to have something covered at leased there is a good chance it will appear. If you don't do any prep there will be no hope with the standard that will be laid out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

thekopend wrote: »
    Well I see it this way, it's no harm to have something covered at leased there is a good chance it will appear. If you don't do any prep there will be no hope with the standard that will be laid out!

Cheers.

I'm really considering applying if recruitment goes ahead next year.

Suppose for the sake of a couple of hundred quid it's worth it.

I might look into the November date.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on these one day courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

I think the course and home study info is from the company that im going to this sunday in dublin. Ive been to 2 of these courses before and would highly recommend these guys. Improved my test scores so much so that I was in the top 100 the last 2 recruitments. Money well spent I must say.

whats the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

annlewis wrote: »
    I think the course and home study info is from the company that im going to this sunday in dublin. Ive been to 2 of these courses before and would highly recommend these guys. Improved my test scores so much so that I was in the top 100 the last 2 recruitments. Money well spent I must say.

You "think" it's the same company?
    Surely you either know it is or it isn't?

What courses have you done there?

You wouldn't be involved in the course would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Ogham wrote: »
    You "think" it's the same company?
    Surely you either know it is or it isn't?

What courses have you done there?

You wouldn't be involved in the course would you?

Well as im sure you are aware there are many courses available for this kind of thing. Don't be smart with me now. Will get you no where.
    No, I'm not involved. I'm purely going because I want a refresher of whats involved as its been so long. Plus theres a huge chance the aptitude tests have changed. There may be different tests as opposed to what we have been previously used to, for anyone who applied last time.

Using instagram for an announcement of this kind.....he really is one of akind isn't he

http://instagram.com/p/ffdt3hKzx8

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...sume-1.1561573

'The coming weeks' where have we heard that before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

D Trent wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...sume-1.1561573

'The coming weeks' where have we heard that before

Every other month for the past 2years plus

only announcment worth rejoicing over will be on publicjobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Justice minister announces recruitment notice for early December [Fine Gael] , Gilmore announces recruitment within a week [Labour]. Political point scoring, who cares. Good news at last!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

I'm workin in a pub now nd one of the lads on the door (reserve mad to join full time) said they confirmed there'll be two aptitude tests, first online within ten days of application then a second done in testing centres within 6 weeks. apologise if this Infos false but he's usual in the know on this type of stuff

Well I'm sure once the competition is announced then the recruitment process will be announced. I wouldn't be surprised though because they have to start cutting as many numbers as possible.

One question for you. How can somebody doing door security be in the Garda Reserves? Security licence holders are ineligible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

I was thinking same thing tbh :P

Well I'm sure once the competition is announced then the recruitment process will be announced. I wouldn't be surprised though because they have to start cutting as many numbers as possible.

One question for you. How can somebody doing door security be in the Garda Reserves? Security licence holders are ineligible

There is only one way, he's doing it without a license :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

thekopend wrote: »
    There is only one way, he's doing it without a license :rolleyes:

Yeah he's taking a bit of a risk. I don't care or anything, its just that the reason I couldn't be a reserve is because I held one.

• Advertisement

He may not be a reserve yet could be in the process ?? or like u gentlemen said no license job :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Don't know what his story is tbh, we employ a security firm nd they send up lads, he's been up here a while lovely fella nd good doorman, doubt it would be end of the world if a bloke was doin a few hours on a fri/sat night maybe he got permission, nyway it's between him, the garda nd the psa if he gets caught. Maybe he hasn't officially started gr yet aswel wears his psa badge not 100% just passing on info that sum people might be interested in. Don't shoot the messenger lads:)

He's not a reserve then.. Maybe you got it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

Ye I could be wrong maybe he's just on waiting list I'm not his best mate just chit chat in work can't really remember exactly, it really doesn't matter to nybody here nyway nd I doubt he'd be the only Garda/Garda reserve who does a bit of part- time security work if he is.
    ANYWAY back on point just encase he's right and there is online aptitude tests within ten days of advertisement (which is due this week) I'm just giving a heads up if people start wanna practising didn't realize it would open such a can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Ye I could be wrong maybe he's just on waiting list I'm not his best mate just chit chat in work can't really remember exactly, it really doesn't matter to nybody here nyway nd I doubt he'd be the only Garda/Garda reserve who does a bit of part- time security work if he is.
    ANYWAY back on point just encase he's right and there is online aptitude tests within ten days of advertisement (which is due this week) I'm just giving a heads up if people start wanna practising didn't realize it would open such a can of worms.

if its released on friday, you can be guaranteed atleast a 7day window in which to apply

so within 10days of close time would bring you up to and through christmas week

Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomtomflanagan

anyone think someone working in the prison service would have an advantage in this new garda recruitment competition? will new gardai hold allowances and top ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Any thing said at the reserve graduation today ?

(A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects
    at ordinary level, or

(ii) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of
    Qualifications (NFQ), or

(iii) a qualification that, in the opinion of Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a
    standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard
    of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above.
    AND
    (B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or
    English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or
    qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such
    assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.

Can i take this as maths is no longer a must ? even tho i have a C1 in foundation but it use ta be B3 .

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    (A) (i) Have obtained an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects
    at ordinary level, or

(ii) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of
    Qualifications (NFQ), or

(iii) a qualification that, in the opinion of Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a
    standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard
    of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above.
    AND
    (B) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or
    English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades or
    qualifications specified in (A) above, or for English or Irish through such
    assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service.

Can i take this as maths is no longer a must ? even tho i have a C1 in foundation but it use ta be B3 .

Maths is not a must your right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

Hi, i am just after joining in, I have a level 5 fetac cert for a trade which is equilavent to a nfq level 5 cert, does that mean i do not need my leaving cert. has anyone ideas on that.

Advertisement